Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2024 5:11:59 PM EDT
I've wanted one for a while, and now finally going to pull the trigger.  My question is I've been looking everywhere for extra 50 round mags, and no one has any.  Is this normal? do they come out in batches? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems anything FN 57 can go dry at times. I have been contemplating getting 1 also. Everything seems to get back in stock eventually.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy 30rd mags, takes about 30sec with a hacksaw to convert the follower to 50rd.
That’s what most of us do.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun mag warehouse or lanbos usually has them. Get one and sbr that thing asap. Recommend a turbo k for it too

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
Gun mag warehouse or lanbos usually has them. Get one and sbr that thing asap. Recommend a turbo k for it too

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20210312_212400346-1977550.jpg
View Quote

You need an OD Green PS90 to match
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixKiller] [#6]
Originally Posted By levi333:
Buy 30rd mags, takes about 30sec with a hacksaw to convert the follower to 50rd.
That’s what most of us do.
View Quote

Mind if I pick your brain for a little after I get the P90?@levi333
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SixKiller:

Mind if I pick your brain for a little after I get the P90?@levi333
View Quote

No problem.
I’m no expert by any means, but the PS90 is one of my favorites, that’s why I started making under barrel light rails for it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
CMMG or Diamondback using FN57 mags, or Ruger using PSA mags FTW.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By civic96hb:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259219/IMG_1034_jpeg-3262120.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By civic96hb:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326579/PXL_20210312_212400346-1977550.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259219/IMG_1034_jpeg-3262120.JPG

I have that! And the rare trirail. I’m in process of making them sbrs. I have a newer one for trunk duty. You can convert the 10 rounders easily too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Favorite gun of my 3 daughters, followed closely by our Tippman M4.  Has cost me a lot of rounds but they are not fond of the 5.56 or above.  If it gets them to the range with me that alone is worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:

I have that! And the rare trirail. I’m in process of making them sbrs. I have a newer one for trunk duty. You can convert the 10 rounders easily too.
View Quote

Mine is a tri rail but black
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw one in EE about 2 hours ago.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Mine is a tri rail but black
View Quote

I would love to get a tri rail ps90 abd sbr it. My current sbr is just a standard
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I would suggest not getting one because if you do, you will only want the pistol to go with it. At least that is what happened to me.

My PS90 is a fun gun to shoot, recoil is next to nil, (the FN 5.7 pistol actually recoils less if you can believe it) and ammo choices/prices are getting better. The only issue I have, without having to buy aftermarket, is the height of the optic rail, on the non-optic/newer model. With the standard rail, the optic mounts pretty high which can obviously cause accuracy issues with the optic/bore height. The gun is very accurate on it's own.

I shoot the Fiocchi Range Dynamics ammo and so far, it has been very good ammo. I also have some other FN ammo but for the majority of the time, the Fiocchi does really well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
SBR'd mine recently with a CMMG barrel and wish I hadn't waited as long as I did.

Everyone who shoots it loves it, even though I require them to say "pew pew pew" when they're doing so.

I have the USSS optic with an LED illuminated reticle which works well enough but there's better options out there.

5.7 ammo is way more prolific now with other manufacturers getting into the game.

Check out https://www.fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90.17/ for great info, including the easy mag mod to allow 10 and 30 rounders to full 50-round capacity.  Lots of folks upgrade the mag rollers too.

Definitely one of my favorites, and SBR'd with 50-rounds of ammo it's handy enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Would y’all recommend this gun as a reliable home defense weapon if I’m not going to SBR it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Do it...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By yall_blancos: Would y’all recommend this gun as a reliable home defense weapon if I’m not going to SBR it?
View Quote

It'll do fine @ HD distances.  Lots of other options for HD.

KelTec just announced their SUB2000 in 5.7x28mm w/ FN57 pistol mags.  16" ballistics, folds to 16" for storage or carry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
KelTec just announced their SUB2000 in 5.7x28mm w/ FN57 pistol mags.  16" ballistics, folds to 16" for storage or carry.
View All Quotes
But this one doesn’t need to unfold, and 10” ballistics are fine for this chambering.

Just look at this thing. It’s glorious.
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Do it...
Attachment Attached File

It could also be full auto. (You can’t even tell by looking at the outside.) They’re easy to convert.

You want to manipulate something during deployment? Attach your QD sound suppressor. Winning!
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By yall_blancos:
Would y’all recommend this gun as a reliable home defense weapon if I’m not going to SBR it?
View Quote
It’s reliable.

I wouldn’t recommend one at all if you’re not going to SBR it. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:09:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yall_blancos] [#21]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
It’s reliable.

I wouldn’t recommend one at all if you’re not going to SBR it. Just my opinion.
View Quote

I’m reading this sentiment often but I’m curious—why? I get that the 16” barrel looks a little weird and there’s a tactical benefit with basically no ballistic drawbacks to shortening up to 10”.

but the gun is still as compact as eg an AR pistol even at 16” right?

Are you suggesting there are just better guns in that case?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#22]
I’m reading this sentiment often but I’m curious—why? I get that the 16” barrel looks a little weird and there’s a tactical benefit with basically no ballistic drawbacks to shortening up to 10”.
View All Quotes
I’ll refer you to my old post (#2) here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Thinking-on-a-PS90-Tell-me-things-/24-510585/&page=2

Yeah basically, but that 16” barrel sticking out the front really kills most of your potential compact-ness.

Compared to something like a 10.3” MK18 in 5.56mm, the 16” PS90 is almost the exact same overall length.

But for that same overall length, you could be firing 5.56mm which is both less expensive and ballistically superior (even when comparing 5.7x28mm fired from a 16” barrel to 5.56x45mm fired from a 10.3” barrel). Ammo costs are lower for 5.56mm as well, and it uses inexpensive AR mags.

The advantage you do gain (even with the 16” PS90) is less weight, as @backbencher pointed out earlier in another thread. Your weapon and ammo will both weigh significantly less in 5.7x28mm. But is it worth the additional costs (and also the loss in performance) for the additional money? I don’t believe it is.

Now when you factor in the 10” barrel on your SBR’d PS90 (or P90), now you’ve got less weight and much shorter length. It’s a very compact package, as seen above. That’s the efficiency that was engineered into it, as intended. This translates into ease of handling, and concealment. I feel like gaining all that changes the equation. Those results make it worth the investment.

The only thing I dislike about the P90 is that it isn’t a PDW designed to be holstered. Having one you can put in a holster is a whole different quality (and way better than slinging one). This is why I’m looking forward to PSA’s new 5.7x28mm. Hopefully it’ll be like an MP7A2, only better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll refer you to my old post (#2) here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Thinking-on-a-PS90-Tell-me-things-/24-510585/&page=2Yeah basically, but that 16” barrel sticking out the front really kills most of your potential compact-ness.

Compared to something like a 10.3” MK18 in 5.56mm, the 16” PS90 is almost the exact same overall length.

But for that same overall length, you could be firing 5.56mm which is both less expensive and ballistically superior (even when comparing 5.7x28mm fired from a 16” barrel to 5.56x45mm fired from a 10.3” barrel). Ammo costs are lower for 5.56mm as well, and it uses inexpensive AR mags.

The advantage you do gain (even with the 16” PS90) is less weight, as @backbencher pointed out earlier in another thread. Your weapon and ammo will both weigh significantly less in 5.7x28mm. But is it worth the additional costs (and also the loss in performance) for the additional money? I don’t believe it is.

Now when you factor in the 10” barrel on your SBR’d PS90 (or P90), now you’ve got less weight and much shorter length. It’s a very compact package, as seen above. That’s the efficiency that was engineered into it, as intended. This translates into ease of handling, and concealment. I feel like gaining all that changes the equation. Those results make it worth the investment.

The only thing I dislike about the P90 is that it isn’t a PDW designed to be holstered. Having one you can put in a holster is a whole different quality (and way better than slinging one). This is why I’m looking forward to PSA’s new 5.7x28mm. Hopefully it’ll be like an MP7A2, only better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By yall_blancos:  I’m reading this sentiment often but I’m curious—why? I get that the 16” barrel looks a little weird and there’s a tactical benefit with basically no ballistic drawbacks to shortening up to 10”.
I’ll refer you to my old post (#2) here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Thinking-on-a-PS90-Tell-me-things-/24-510585/&page=2

Yeah basically, but that 16” barrel sticking out the front really kills most of your potential compact-ness.

You COULD shorten up a SUB2000, but you're giving up some bolt stroke, and in 9x19mm it has a sharp recoil already.  In 5.7x28mm you might outrun the magazine, but probably not.

Then it would be holsterable, but at 16" you could do a drop leg thigh mount now.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
You want to manipulate something during deployment? Attach your QD sound suppressor. Winning!
View Quote

Have an R9 with a micro QD mount on it now
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Have an R9 with a micro QD mount on it now
View Quote
Excellent!

How do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent!
How do you like it?
View Quote

Very much.
Turbo K size, similar performance, less backpressure.

I may swap it out for a custom short Rex can to leave on it some day.
The R9 has other hosts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yall_blancos] [#27]

...]
View Quote

Thanks this is super helpful -- makes sense to me now why people are so quick to SBR these because it's where the gun really shines objectively.

Here's my use case: close quarters home defense gun, primarily for my wife, who has basically no experience with guns. Reliability is paramount.

SBR is a no-go for us in part because we basically split time back and forth between two states on often unpredictable schedules.

So it's really down to an AR pistol vs some kind of PCC.

It seems to me that relative to, say, an 11.5" barreled AR pistol, the PS90's advantages are:

--Lighter and its weight is more balanced front/back
--Less recoil
--Less gassy
--Less muzzle flash/concussion/hearing damage if shot unsuppressed indoors in an emergency
--Having a stock instead of a brace
--Potentially less risk of overpenetration(?)

(Though if we're talking suppressed, the AR's disadvantages become less pronounced?)

Drawbacks:

--Balistically inferior (practically speaking probably doesn't matter for our use case because 5.7 is going to murk an intruder at home defense distances?)
--Crummy trigger
--ammo is somewhat more expensive (though the difference seems to be shrinking? ) and not as readily available

Am I missing anything? It seems like a great gun (if expensive), maybe even the optimal gun, for my use case. Are the crummy trigger or unique ergonomics any reason for a noob to stay away?

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Have you looked at the Ruger LC in 5.7x28mm, or any number of 9x19mm pistols w/ pistol braces?

5.7x28mm is throwing supersonic bullets inside your house, no way to suppress sonic booms.  147 grn 9x19mm can be subsonic out of a 16" barrel, throw a can on a 5-8" barrel pistol w/ a brace, you've got a fairly quiet HD gun w/ a 30 round mag.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought mine when they were first released and kept it 16” barreled for like 20 years and still loved it.  So did everyone else who shot it.

Buy it even with a long barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#30]
The ps90 is one of the coolest contemporary PCCs available. I wouldn’t use mine on purpose as a defensive tool, but man is it cool. I still recall seeing the p90 for the first time in a Popular Mechanics article around 1995 and am tickled that we can own the ps90.

Other 5.7 options cannot hold a candle to the PS90 when it comes to cool factor. And that’s 99.9% of the reason to own it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#31]
Originally Posted By JoshNC: The ps90 is one of the coolest contemporary PCCs available. I wouldn’t use mine on purpose as a defensive tool, but man is it cool. I still recall seeing the p90 for the first time in a Popular Mechanics article around 1995 and am tickled that we can own the ps90.

Other 5.7 options cannot hold a candle to the PS90 when it comes to cool factor. And that’s 99.9% of the reason to own it.
View Quote

I don't get the cool factor, but then I didn't watch Stargate on tv either.

I had an AR57 upper, and while intriguing, the mags are a completely different form factor than anything else.  Not quite as bad as a drum, but you'll likely need specialty mag pouches.

The various pistol mags that fit 5.7 carbines seem to make more sense if you want something other than a meme gun.

ETA - I did know a Sinister and it suited him b/c it's completely ambi.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clickclickBOOM] [#32]
50 round mags have hit the the USA. Lots of places showing stock now.
I bought 5 more just because.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#33]

I had an AR57 upper, and while intriguing, the mags are a completely different form factor than anything else.  Not quite as bad as a drum, but you'll likely need specialty mag pouches.

The various pistol mags that fit 5.7 carbines seem to make more sense if you want something other than a meme gun.

View Quote

I also didn’t watch stargate on TV.

The cool factor comes from its very unique mag design, completely ambidextrous ergos, and its AUG roots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

The cool factor comes from its very unique mag design, completely ambidextrous ergos, and its AUG roots.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Originally Posted By backbencher: I don't get the cool factor, but then I didn't watch Stargate on tv either.

The mag is interesting, but the only compelling thing about if for me is it puts the magwell in the upper on the AR57, which enables legal hijinks.

I'm not an AUG guy, so that doesn't do anything for me.  It's an interesting rifle, but I'm only bullpup curious, not a fan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Well, I did watch Stargate on TV. I've noticed a distinct lack of Jaffa in my area (no doubt due to my having a PS90, LOL). I've kept the 16" barrel. It's so much easier to just grab the barrel and go (lack of a carry handle). It's a neat little gun no matter what barrel length is on it. One thing that I've always considered superfluous is to put a 10" barrel on it and then putting a big, long, honking suppressor on it. so that the gun seems to have a 16" barrel on it. Granted it isn't as loud as some guns (about like a .22 Mag) but A:) there is no way to make the gun function with suppressed ammo and B:) there is no way to suppress the gun with supersonic ammo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:48:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#36]
The round is lighter than I like, that is a bit too pricey; but I can also carry twice as much ammo by weight.  

My PS90 is the most fun and comfortable/natural firearm I own.  9.5/10 highly recommend
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
The round is lighter than I like, that is a bit too pricey; but I can also carry twice as much ammo by weight.  

My PS90 is the most fun and comfortable/natural firearm I own.  9.5/10 highly recommend
View Quote

There have been some better deal lately on ammo. I bought a bunch of the Fiocchi Range Dynamics in 150 round boxes for $65 at PSA,($22/50), which is what a box of 38 special costs but is not as fun. I agree it is a fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#38]
Got creative with an Amazon laser/light 😆

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#39]
You illuminating the magazine?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rudderbutter] [#40]
View Quote

I think he's using the little "insert follower this way" markings as a canvas for numbering his mags.

...which I'm now off to do to all of mine.

ETA: derp, that's not where the marking is molded on them. But yeah, dots for mag-numbering is my guess.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

What do you mean? Haha
And yes those are mag numbers
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I had the first gen that came out , the one everyone went nuts over for the trigger back. no rail normal p90 reflex sight . after shooting the real deal allot, it left me lacking.  I sold it for a big profit. I do not miss it.  you will either love it or hate it.  now if you can give me a p90 yes I would gladly take one. but in my mind there is better options out there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Awesome as an SBR. They are so unique, really unlike anything else out there. I love mine, though it’s truly just a cool toy/collectible in my collection.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I picked one up from psa a few weeks ago, big stargate fan when i was younger... lol

It seemed like it would compliment my full sized AP5.

1299 with the "deal".

I also ordered 200rds of ammo with it, and one ar57 mag.

First thing i did was the modification to the 30rd mag using a plastic welder meant to repair bumpers.
That worked perfectly.

The trigger was much better than i expected.
Cool gun overall, feels like lots of thought went into it.

First range trip, accurate.
I was hitting the paddles on my dueling tree easily at 100 yards with the built-in sight.

1/4in paddles didn't flip like a 115gr 9mm does from the mp5, but i could get them to move with a few hits.

Felt like shooting a .22 mag, fun gun overall.
I'm on the fence if i want to sbr it or not, if i did it's 100% for looks.

The ar57 mag ran perfectly, so i bought a few more.
My ffl mentioned how much he likes the round, and told me the ar57 mags run just as good as the fn mags, but everything else was hit or miss.

I started looking to accessorize it, mostly adding the side rails to start, and adding a red dot of some sort to it.

I didn't find much available from fn, but i did find some 3d printed side rails for it in carbon fiber.

The price of those lead me to finally pull the trigger on a 3d printer thats carbon fiber and nylon capable.

Link Posted: Yesterday 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gibbles:
I didn't find much available from fn, but i did find some 3d printed side rails for it in carbon fiber.

The price of those lead me to finally pull the trigger on a 3d printer thats carbon fiber and nylon capable.

View Quote

Have a Bambu X1C coming for my birthday.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top