Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2023 11:19:00 PM EDT
Does Mossberg still make and sell to the public  the actual 590a1 that was sold by the thousands to our military? If so what is the Mossberg Sku for the military 590A1???
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If only they had some type of easily accessible website that provided a comprehensive listing of all their products...

https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/action/pump.html?mb_model_family=590A1

SKU 51660 would be the closest, but SKU 50771 is better accessorized.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#3]
590A1 SPX FTW
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of the 30k Mossbergs the mil had are M500 MILS And M500M MILS.  The type 3, or M590 style appears to be the rarity.

M500M MILS
M500A2 contract overrun Rebuilt into MEK configuration.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
590A1 SPX FTW
View Quote

I like mine.

Sold off the bayonet and put hogue stock and forearm on it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Was the real military issued Mossberg a 8/9 shot? Rifle sights or bead?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.

What you're referring to is known as the "Type I configuration" in the actual MIL-SPEC, which is referenced in the thread below. Word is there were only about 1,000 of them.

Someone here has a pic of a graduating class of Marine Security Guards and they're all armed with Type I Mossberg 590A1s with bead sights. The pic was taken sometime from the late 1980s to mid-1990s and they were all in woodland BDUs.

My understanding is that the DOD originally acquired the 590A1 in Type I configuration for Marines and Army Special Forces, but it's rare to see pics of them in service from back then.

Obviously during GWOT they acquired a majority not in type I config.

All branches (except maybe Army?) had old 7-shot Remington 870 shotguns with bayonet lugs dating from Vietnam to about 10 years afterward, and sometimes those were seen in photos of Marine MEU(SOC), Recon, or FAST units. I've never seen one of a SEAL with the bayonet lug variant after Vietnam, but I know SEALs continued to use 870s in various configurations. I believe the 590A1 was acquired to replace those old Remingtons (at least in the USMC). SWCC units got some of the 17" 500/590 (removable mag tube cap) like the rest of the US Navy, but I cannot advise when that happened.

Edit: Here we go, 1994
Attachment Attached File

From this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Badass-surplus-870-shotgun-Discussion-thread-keep-WTT-WTB-WTS-in-the-EE/5-2156675/&page=70
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes.

What you're referring to is known as the "Type I configuration" in the actual MIL-SPEC, which is referenced in the thread below. Word is there were only about 1,000 of them.

Someone here has a pic of a graduating class of Marine Security Guards and they're all armed with Type I Mossberg 590A1s with bead sights. The pic was taken sometime from the late 1980s to mid-1990s and they were all in woodland BDUs.

My understanding is that the DOD originally acquired the 590A1 in Type I configuration for Marines and Army Special Forces, but it's rare to see pics of them in service from back then.

All branches (except maybe Army?) had old 7-shot Remington 870 shotguns with bayonet lugs dating from Vietnam to about 10 years afterward, and sometimes those were seen in photos of Marine MEU(SOC), Recon, or FAST units. I've never seen one of a SEAL with the bayonet lug variant after Vietnam, but I know SEALs continued to use 870s in various configurations. I believe the 590A1 was acquired to replace those old Remingtons (at least in the USMC). SWCC units got some of the 17" 500/590 (removable mag tube cap) like the rest of the US Navy, but I cannot advise when that happened.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/590a1_jpg-729932.JPG

From this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Badass-surplus-870-shotgun-Discussion-thread-keep-WTT-WTB-WTS-in-the-EE/5-2156675/&page=70
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

We were told the Mossbergs we qualified w/ in the Navy Reserve in 2002 had 17" bbls.  In Coastal Warfare in 2005 we had them as well.  Looked like bog stock 500s.  Might have had longer mag tubes, been 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I went through Marine Corp Security Force school when we were getting the M1014 and also qualed with the 20" GRS Mossberg. I've also seen the 18" bead sighted gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m looking at these as well but I already have a 590 Mariner.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I like mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
590A1 SPX FTW

I like mine.

I still have my bayonet and put a 12" lop hogue stock and forend on also put a magpul sga receiver sling mount on.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

That was the class immediately after mine. Neat.

In our photo we’re only holding M9s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top