Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2024 2:50:31 PM EDT
Is it worth a $9 tube of jb weld to try to stiffen up a Ruger American synthetic forearm?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Used acra glass and I think threaded rod last time.
Got in there with a dremel and rooted around routing everything together.
Laid in a couple of threaded rod sections

The assend I used foam to fill that.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've watched it vids of how to beef up savage axis stocks. Seems straightforward  enough. Mine is flimsy af.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59] [#3]
Fiberglass epoxy with some arrow shafts as stiffening agents work well for a cheap fixes.

if you want to add some weight with some better stiffness all thread with fiberglass, full bedding with pillars.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What model Ruger American do you have?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
What model Ruger American do you have?
View Quote

Hmm, not sure how to answer that question
26” 6.5CM
Factory gray cerakote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
100% worth it. My rifle tightened up around half an inch
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a ruger american compact in 308 think it's a very early model with the rotary mags.  I called up ruger and was complaining about the mags and asked for the updated stock that uses the magwel adapters that took acis mags but the one I have has a different bolt face.  But they did end up sending me a whole new stock.  The new version is 100x stiffer and doesn't flex as much as the old one I had.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw someone that stiffened the American stock by a exterior layer of fiberglass. from the buttstock to front sling mount. Seemed to me this would make a more stiff stock than just arrow shafts in the forearm, this would eliminate any flex across the action, from behind the handgrip to the forearm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I did it on my Ruger American Ranch 300blk. I was afraid to make it too nose heavy, so I also added some to the butt stock. It all feels very firm and solid now and balances ok. BUT. I'm not thrilled with the added weight. I think I got a little carried away honestly and just used too much. I'm now considering putting a Magpul stock on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Not my thread but I posted about stiffening up my savage axis

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Savage-Axis-mods-and-accessories-/49-515786/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top