Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2019 6:22:50 PM EDT
I took possession today of a 1945 Sako M39’s. It’s a beautiful rifle with almost 100% bluing. The only problem is that stock is completely dry. It appears to be sanded, but dry with no finish on the wood. Anyone know what the original finish used was? Or barring that, what a good similar option would be? Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This is what mine looked like, wartime stocks with the original Finnish finish.

The top 3 are Finnish capture 91/30's with Finnish stocks. Very top one has a post war Finnish stock which are lighter in color.

I don't know what exactly they used on the stocks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The Finns used Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) to stain their stocks, they also used Pine Tar...

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/how-to-pine-tar-stock-finish.228588/

On top, I would guess BLO like most other militaries....
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
That's how they come, don't mess with it
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Pictures would help but it sounds like you have a post war made replacement stock on your M39. Post war M39 stocks do have a dry, unfinished  appearance but they actually do have a finish sealing the wood and its completely normal for them to look that way.  Applying anything else to such a stock will seriously devalue the rifle in the eyes of  most collectors and I wouldn't recommend it.(I have a very large Finnish collection). Wartime M39 rifle stocks were finished with a mixture called Kiväärintukkiöljy(Rifle Stock oil).The exact recipe is unknown because one of the largest chemical company's in Finland still owns the rights to it and will not share it even though it isn't currently produced. It appears to be a mixture of boiled linseed oil, beeswax, turpentine  and possibly bitumen as well, some collectors in Finland have been attempting to recreate it themselves but hadn't quite gotten it right last time I checked.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, post a pic of the rifle when you can please.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Finns used Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) to stain their stocks, they also used Pine Tar...

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/how-to-pine-tar-stock-finish.228588/

On top, I would guess BLO like most other militaries....
View Quote
Depending on the time period, service branch and rifle model the Finn's used a number of different oil and lacquer based finishes on their Mosin rifle stocks. Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) was used on some Finnish Civil Guard issued rifles but never on the M39. Pine Tar was never used as a rifle stock finish by the Finnish Army or Civil Guard at all. The whole pine tar thing is a myth created by American collectors prior to having access to Finnish records to explain the coloring on Finnish stocks. It's been completely discredited by Finnish military records but like many old wives tales it refuses to die and still causes newer collectors to ruin stocks that had a correct finish to start with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My collection is currently inaccessible do to a home remodel but here is a picture of  M39's with the late post war stocks I described in my first post. If the OP's rifle looks similar than the stock is in its correct state.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll post a couple pics tomorrow. But for what it’s worth the stock, tho dry, does have a bit of a tacky feel to it. I don’t know if that means or changes anything.

For those saying not to apply any kind of finish to it, could I get away with applying BLO to it as I do for all my other milsurp rifles? I would imagine something should be done to keep it from drying out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ll post a couple pics tomorrow. But for what it’s worth the stock, tho dry, does have a bit of a tacky feel to it. I don’t know if that means or changes anything.

For those saying not to apply any kind of finish to it, could I get away with applying BLO to it as I do for all my other milsurp rifles? I would imagine something should be done to keep it from drying out.
View Quote
The tackiness you feel is the wood finish the Finn's used to seal the wood. Others who have mistakenly refinished these stocks describe having to sand that finish off before applying anything else because it seals the wood so well  so BLO likely wouldn't work without doing so first and is incorrect for the stock anyways by itself. Ultimately it's your rifle to do with as you wish OP  but just be aware that adding anything to that stock will hit it's value hard and be quite obvious to most Finn collectors. I bought my first Finn wearing one of those stocks 20 years ago and had the same concern you do in regards to the dry looking stock finish. Ultimately I decided to leave it alone and it still looks exactly the same as it did the day I found it at that gun show, as do the 4-5 others I've added since then.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#10]
So here's a couple pics... As I said, it's a 1945 Sako make and appears to be very lightly used. It has near 100% bluing with only some light wear at the muzzle. The stock isn't really dry it just lacks the light sheen that my other M39 and most of the ones I've seen has. It does have a slight 'tacky' feel to it. One thing that is interesting is the stock appears to be a war time issue with the rounded joints, but lacks any of the dings and scratches you would expect from a rifle of this period.

Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So here's a couple pics... As I said, it's a 1945 Sako make and appears to be very lightly used. It has near 100% bluing with only some light wear at the muzzle. The stock isn't really dry it just lacks the light sheen that my other M39 and most of the ones I've seen has. It does have a slight 'tacky' feel to it. One thing that is interesting is the stock appears to be a war time issue with the rounded joints, but lacks any of the dings and scratches you would expect from a rifle of this period.

https://i.imgur.com/XJgCsA8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bGipEXf.jpg
View Quote
Your rifle is properly finished.  Don't do anything to it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dont do a thing to that stock OP that is how it should be!
View Quote
Totally agree with the above statement, that's how a wartime stock should look. Many M39's had their stocks replaced prior to being placed in long term storage so that may explain it's condition. Many of these rifles were placed in war stock storage in the late 40's and were not removed until they were sold as surplus in the 80's and 90's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Concur with above, do not touch that stock with anything, it doesn't need anything. Perfect as is.

Stocks should not be messed with AT ALL, unless they need to be...doing anything to an untouched stock can cut the value in half on a 98k...

When in doubt post pics and get an opinion as you did here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I collect Finnish rifles.  Don't put anything on the stock. It isn't needed.  IMO, that's what you get when you buy surplus rifles.  You have to (well, should be) comfortable with owning a rifle that you aren't going to mess with if you are getting into milsurps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Won’t do anything to the stock... Thanks.

I assume I can get away with linseed/flaxseed oil to keep the stock from drying out?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I assume I can get away with linseed/flaxseed oil to keep the stock from drying out?
View Quote
Nope, don't do it, it will darken the stock...are you keeping it in your garage down here? Or in your house?

If its in your house and you're not drying out, the stock will be good!

Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope, don't do it, it will darken the stock...are you keeping it in your garage down here? Or in your house?

If its in your house and you're not drying out, the stock will be good!

View Quote
I’m not saying I’m going to do it now, the stock fit is fine and isn’t dry... But at some point if it needs it to prevent drying, it may need it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Iinseed/flaxseed oil is a wood finish and a incorrect one for a Finnish M39. Unless your planning on using you're M39 in the  field in a humid environment I seriously doubt you have to worry about the stock drying out at all. I own a number of M39's, I've never done anything to the stocks and they all look exactly the same as when I bought them, which in some cases was at least 20 years ago. Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top