Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2024 10:14:18 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting my first thermal - had a chance to play with the THOR 5 640 2-16 at the NRA show and was impressed.
I've seen a lot of dogging of ATN but as is typical most seem to be by non-owners.   Anyone have any real experience?

Goals:
- $3k max spend
- Night time check of property for critters with some hunting (nothing beyond 200 yards)
- Something that won't be outdated in 2 years.

Thoughts / other product suggestions in the same (or lower) price/specification range?

Thanks.

P.S. I found out ATN has a storefront not too far away so if it needs service down the road a local drop off would be possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought my first thermal scope and scanner last year.  Based on my research, ATN was not recommended for various reasons.

Iray, Pulsar, Bering and AGM had better reviews.

I'm sure someone much more well versed than I am will chime in. Korey at Night Goggles is very helpful and he posts frequently on the Predator Hunting section here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:32:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sjcshooter1] [#3]
ATN isn't recommended because they're hit or miss in all aspects of product quality and customer service.
Mostly miss and I so wanted the THOR 5 1280 res scopes to work.
My backup thermal is a RIX L3 scope and I can highly recommend it after using it for awhile in the field.
It's a 384 res scope, but with the ocular zoom I dropped a few fox at around 200 yards with no issue.
Because the Ocular zoom magnifies the display screen, it doesn't show up in recorded footage.
RIX L3 Video
I got it for $2,300 shipped.
Mine came mounted in a quality QD mount too.
The L6 640 res model is just over your budget, but is a great deal for a 640 res scope under $3,800.
Almost all of my thermal optics use 18650 batteries, so the RIX fit right in.
RIX Leap

SJC

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Manduck:
I'm looking at getting my first thermal - had a chance to play with the THOR 5 640 2-16 at the NRA show and was impressed.
I've seen a lot of dogging of ATN but as is typical most seem to be by non-owners.   Anyone have any real experience?

Goals:
- $3k max spend
- Night time check of property for critters with some hunting (nothing beyond 200 yards)
- Something that won't be outdated in 2 years.

Thoughts / other product suggestions in the same (or lower) price/specification range?

Thanks.

P.S. I found out ATN has a storefront not too far away so if it needs service down the road a local drop off would be possible.
View Quote

ATN’s devices Phone Home without you knowing about it. People went to jail for what their ATN scopes reported back about them….. I won’t have one in my house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top