Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2024 12:11:08 AM EDT
talk to me about the options for mid grade and high end IR illuminators. prefer weapon mounted.
I had a russian one from way back when that my buddies coined "the death star" because it had a insane focus on it so it could be a tight focus or when zoomed out a flood light.
the light was truly something else in terms of brightness compared to any other illuminator on the range.
sadly it doesnt work any more. id like something like that but built better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Prepare to spend at least $3000.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:27:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
The Luna ELIR3 you speak of are coming back on the market, made in Germany now.
View Quote

optics plannet has what i purchased years ago.
theres other vendors who have something similar looking but different
https://redcarpettelescopes.com/collections/luna-optics/products/luna-optics-ln-eir-series-led-infrared-illuminator
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

@Lowdown3

Are what you can buy from Optics Planet and B&H the current German productions? Did they finally fix the mount issues?
I neeeeeed one :)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like my Raid Xe. The illuminator is a monster if you run it all the way up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
“sadly it doesnt work any more. id like something like that but built better.”

The IR Laser was probably over driven and needed more heat sinking. It probably overheated
Or the driver electronics is not putting out voltage anymore
I would take it apart and see if it could be repaired.  Is there a name on it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 12:20:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Love the SF M1. Sad they discontinued, and glad I purchased a bunch of those before they were no longer available. Still probably the cleanest IR beam out there along with the dimmest off axis detection due to the recessed IR diode. Superb all around IR illuminator!

View Quote

Yup,  I ran it's predecessor an old 3DL on a colt front sight post mount for years for cutting sign in the desert whereas IR white light covers caused too much light blow back from surrounding brush the 3DL and M1 had super clean tight beams.

Good shit and I have a handful that I've stockpiled over the years when they pop up for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I have two of them and they are fantastic in terms of the brightness. I like the way you can focus the beam from a dot to a flood. You can also adjust the level of brightness too. I had one mounted on my DPMS .308 and if performed flawlessly for 500 or so rounds. I have a PVS-30 for that rifle and have since moved on to a Laserspeed M6 for it. I intend to sell of both of the Luna ELIR 3 but just havent got around to listing them yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I've owned and used a ton of different illuminators including the mega powerful mil-pec LAMs and PERSTs, and the Armasight Watchman is my favorite.  The only thing I don't like about it is the rear cap that lights up when it is on.  

After almost twenty years under NVDs, I just recommended an Armasight product...  congratulations universe, you win
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top