Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 2:26:24 AM EDT
I’m wanting to get a set of woodland BDU and DCU tops with all of the correct patches sewn on including unit patch, flag, SSI, rank, name tape, etc. I have no idea what happened to my old uniforms after several moves over the last 20 years and would like to have another set for my office display. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen anyone offer this like they did in the old days. I’d really like to find a one and done source vs explaining what I want to the local seamstress. I don’t have a machine or knowledge to do it myself. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool idea. I have my uniform tops displayed in my gun/war room from BDU era through OCP.  I don’t think you are going to find a one and done website with convenient drop down menus or anything like that.  There is an old surplus store and sew shop outside of Ft Bragg called Old Sarges.  It’s been there since at least the 90s, and they still have some BDU and DCU stock. They’ve also accumulated a pretty good assortment of old patches and tapes from the years of removing and replacing them.  If you can’t find any other options they might be worth a call : (910) 497-5335

If you aren’t in a hurry PM me and I could stop in and ask next time I’m in that area.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I really appreciate the info, I’ll definitely check them out. I’m in no hurry either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Metro6] [#3]
You can try USAMM- you may need to send in the BDU / DCUs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, I’ll give them a call.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:14:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#5]
US Cavalry Store is now part of Galls Uniform and does stuff like this…
https://www.galls.com/pages/uscav
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tsg68:
US Cavalry Store
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:59:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reccerecon] [#7]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
US Cavalry Store is now part of Galls Uniform and does stuff like this…
https://www.galls.com/pages/uscav
View Quote

I used to buy stuff from US Cav in the 90s to mid 2000s and I thought they went out of business when I searched them awhile ago. I looked at the Galls site and they do have woodland BDU tops, but no DCU. It looks like they are mainly geared towards law enforcement, but I’ll try contacting them also. On a side note who else got nostalgic for the preinternet mail in order forms?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:04:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#8]
There are at least two shops in Fayetteville that still do what you seek.  General Jackson's, and Old Sarge's.  GJ has the new stuff, and OS has the older surplus.  But both have good sew shops for uniform and rucksack mods.  I would imagine this is still true outside any main gate; Bragg, Benning, Pendleton, Lejuene.  Hard to say if any of them would do mail order; might have to be a road trip.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s a 2 hour drive to an Air Force base. It sounds like it will be easier for me to just buy everything I need and find a shop that knows what to do. Thanks everyone for the information.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By reccerecon:
On a side note who else got nostalgic for the preinternet mail in order forms?
View Quote

I ran across one of my Brigade Quartermaster catalogs awhile back while sorting stuff.  Flipped through it totally intrigued.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

I ran across one of my Brigade Quartermaster catalogs awhile back while sorting stuff.  Flipped through it totally intrigued.
View Quote

I would love to find my old Brigade Quartermaster catalogs, I used to get those along with US Cav and Ranger Joes. Another one I miss is The Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been down this road before.  Hard to find local talent that knows exactly what to do.  Worth the drive IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Diz:
I have been down this road before.  Hard to find local talent that knows exactly what to do.  Worth the drive IMHO.
View Quote

Or buy a used sewing machine and do them yourself - patches and such aren't hard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
You might try Ranger Joe's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Ranger Joe's only has OCP uniforms unfortunately. I’ll watch a few videos on sewing patches, it would be nice to have a machine to repair stuff also. I’m trying to find  the tops in the right size on eBay with some of the right patches so it would only be a few alterations, but there’s not as many options as there used to be.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Or buy a used sewing machine and do them yourself - patches and such aren't hard.
View Quote

Yep.  I suck at sewing, and I've managed to hand sew many a patch/badge on uniforms for reenacting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve done my share of hand sewing like quick hole repairs, buttons and a few rank patches. I don’t think I’d have the patience to do that these days, lol. I picked up a used machine for $20. It’s a nice singer, but is missing the power cord. Hopefully I can find a cheap replacement cord and see if it actually works.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:19:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By reccerecon:
I’ve done my share of hand sewing like quick hole repairs, buttons and a few rank patches. I don’t think I’d have the patience to do that these days, lol. I picked up a used machine for $20. It’s a nice singer, but is missing the power cord. Hopefully I can find a cheap replacement cord and see if it actually works.
View Quote

This Is The Way.

A sewing machine is super useful.  You don't need to learn anything over the top - just how to make the thread tension correct, and how to sew a straight line.  That will handle all of your patch and basic repair needs.  Once you figure out how to do the straight lines, you'll zip right through those patches.

One quick tip - be sure to 'lock' your thread ends in place to keep them from unraveling.  You will want to do this at the start and end of each stitch line (not specifically each straight line, but each time you start and stop a stitch)  It's easy.  Basically you start sewing 3 or so stitches, then reverse the same number of stitches so that you stitch over the first run of stitches, returning the needle roughly to where you started.  Then continue on your stitch.  Going over your stitch ends like that stop that thread from coming out.

Also, for what you are doing, you are going to want to get some decent thread.  Preferably bonded nylon.  If not that, then a good heavy nylon or polyester thread.  

You're welcome to yell at me or any of the other guys on here who sew if you want to ask something.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Probably what I would do too.

Or better still...locate PDF of old 670-1 to jog the noggin and with patches in hand, drag the tops over to mom's.  She loves doing shit like this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:

Probably what I would do too.

Or better still...locate PDF of old 670-1 to jog the noggin and with patches in hand, drag the tops over to mom's.  She loves doing shit like this.
View Quote

My mom actually did a raid mod DCU top for me 20 years ago. I think I still might have that one somewhere, but I don’t remember when I saw it last. I’ll find out if she still has her machine.
Top Top