Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2024 2:41:24 PM EDT
I prefer the Scar 17 bc of the bolt mounted charging handle and gas piston. I've never been a fan of the flimsy AR charging system.

Why hasn't the Scar been more popular or fielded more by the military? How does the new Spear compare? I'm looking to run an Acog and suppressor. Otherwise would just use an M1A.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 5:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#1]
I too have never been a fan of the rear charging handle, but the MCX Spear has a side charging handle, so that's a moot point. The big reason the Scar 17 wasn't used in mass was because it's a 7.62x51 rifle. Had it come out 40-50 years ago when it was between an m16 assault rifle and an m14 battle rifle, it probably would have been used, being more accurate than both, and not that much heavier than an m16. That's not what happened though, and it came out in 2007.

Maybe what you were really asking is about the SCAR 16, the 5.56 version or whatever 5.56 model was in the military testing. Again, this was 2007. The m16, now M4 has been in continuous use for some 44ish years. The accuracy of the m4 was now on par with the SCAR. The SCAR costs ballpark 3 times as much, we can't know for sure what the actual bid would have been to the military. That doesn't really matter because the SCAR was never made for mass production, it's literally the name S.pecial operation forces C.ombat A.ssault R.ifle. It was adopted, both the 5.56 and 7.62 as far as I know, for special forces, and it seems to have done the job well.

By comparison the MCX Spear is intended as an M4 replacement, and as such they chose that rifle due to the familiarity to the M4.

I do really like the SCAR 17. They are really expensive though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My scar with an acog and can are about as perfect as my life gets.

It replaced a helluva m1a loaded promotional. That thing was a tack driver, but sadly after my scar it just sat in the safe collecting dust until I let someone have it who wanted her.

It took 5 tries to get to acog, but it's the correct answer imo
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
I too have never been a fan of the rear charging handle, but the MCX Spear has a side charging handle, so that's a moot point. The big reason the Scar 17 wasn't used in mass was because it's a 7.62x51 rifle. Had it come out 40-50 years ago when it was between an m16 assault rifle and an m14 battle rifle, it probably would have been used, being more accurate than both, and not that much heavier than an m16. That's not what happened though, and it came out in 2007.

Maybe what you were really asking is about the SCAR 16, the 5.56 version or whatever 5.56 model was in the military testing. Again, this was 2007. The m16, now M4 has been in continuous use for some 44ish years. The accuracy of the m4 was now on par with the SCAR. The SCAR costs ballpark 3 times as much, we can't know for sure what the actual bid would have been to the military. That doesn't really matter because the SCAR was never made for mass production, it's literally the name S.pecial operation forces C.ombat A.ssault R.ifle. It was adopted, both the 5.56 and 7.62 as far as I know, for special forces, and it seems to have done the job well.

By comparison the MCX Spear is intended as an M4 replacement, and as such they chose that rifle due to the familiarity to the M4.

I do really like the SCAR 17. They are really expensive though.
View Quote
The 5.56 SCAR was rejected by the SOF organizations that I am familiar with.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
The 5.56 SCAR was rejected by the SOF organizations that I am familiar with.
View Quote

You probably know more than me, I only know what I could find online. So only the 7.62 saw service in the USA?
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 2:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

You probably know more than me, I only know what I could find online. So only the 7.62 saw service in the USA?
View Quote

Swing by the photo thread in the FN Herstal section of this forum. The Ranger Regiment used the 5.56 SCARs for a limited time before moving back to the M4 platform/upper receivers in the mid 2010's I believe.

The 7.62 SCAR is still used, but has also been seen with 5.56 conversion barrels and lowers. The MK20 marksman platform is also used... sorta.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 9:29:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#6]
Originally Posted By Flevvy:

The Ranger Regiment used the 5.56 SCARs for a limited time before moving back to the M4 platform/upper receivers in the mid 2010's I believe.
View Quote
One company, or one company per batt, don’t remember for sure, but something like that, used it for one training cycle and one deployment as a trial. Afghanistan, IIRC; don’t remember if they got in any big fights with it. I think that was like 2010 ish.

The whole Regiment never did it.

Similar occurred in another SOF organization or two.

The 7.62 gun is still in use in SOF, but IIRC started testing later than the 5.56 gun, because SR25.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The SCAR is the superior platform, in my opinion (an opinion undoubtedly colored by problems with my Spear), but is in major need of an ergonomic upgrade and overhaul.  Guns have changed considerably since the SCAR was developed, and while you can make some upgrades aftermarket, the Spear comes out ahead in several areas (mags, fully ambi controls, improved modularity).  Sig has major QC issues at times, but they always seem to be pushing the envelope for what they're doing.

Oh, and obligatory picture:

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The cult of SCAR 17 is why.  It's gotta be good if I spend two paychecks on a gun.  If it isn't, I'll lie to myself and everyone around me and say it is.

OR

It's really good for a battle rifle, and has been around for a long time.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Having owned both, I'll take the Spear over the SCAR.

If the XM7 adoption continues, it'll be the more popular rifle in the end.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stevelish:
The cult of SCAR 17 is why.  It's gotta be good if I spend two paychecks on a gun.  If it isn't, I'll lie to myself and everyone around me and say it is.

OR

It's really good for a battle rifle, and has been around for a long time.

View Quote

I never get the impression that people hype it up because it costs so much so they have to convince themselves and everyone else it's awesome.  In fact, I usually get the impression of the opposite.  It seems like people that spent two paychecks on it shit all over it because it doesn't suck their dick for them or something.  People that spend that much on something tend to have way higher expectations that can't be lived up to.

I bought mine for $2,800 years ago and it didn't really hurt to do so.  I like it fine.  I saw one at a shop I went to just today it was $4,200.  If I spent that much, I would probably hate the damn thing, and myself for buying it because I would be trying to figure out what it does for that much.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CavVet:
My scar with an acog and can are about as perfect as my life gets.

It replaced a helluva m1a loaded promotional. That thing was a tack driver, but sadly after my scar it just sat in the safe collecting dust until I let someone have it who wanted her.

It took 5 tries to get to acog, but it's the correct answer imo
View Quote

I spent 27.50 on mine

JSE surplus black Friday raffle 2016 I think

My review has nothing to do with the money, and it replaced perfection. It's all about the rifle
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FullMetalMike:

I never get the impression that people hype it up because it costs so much so they have to convince themselves and everyone else it's awesome.  In fact, I usually get the impression of the opposite.  It seems like people that spent two paychecks on it shit all over it because it doesn't suck their dick for them or something.  People that spend that much on something tend to have way higher expectations that can't be lived up to.

I bought mine for $2,800 years ago and it didn't really hurt to do so.  I like it fine.  I saw one at a shop I went to just today it was $4,200.  If I spent that much, I would probably hate the damn thing, and myself for buying it because I would be trying to figure out what it does for that much.
View Quote

It's a great rifle, but way overpriced....yet I still bought one (panic purchase, of course).  Now I don't have to wonder anymore, and I won't buy another copy.  Not because it isn't good, but because it's over valued.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:40:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CKxx] [#13]
I really like my 17 and I basically stole it. (I really went down the rabbit hole with clone parts, but that's a different story.) Would I spend $4200, probably not, but, ignoring the cost, it's easily my favorite rifle to shoot these days, when I have the option.

I'm on the hunt for the right 16 so I can use it in more matches that require 556.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
No, the Air Force also issued a few SCAR-Ls in some AFSOC units.  I qualified with one at Hurlburt Field in 2010 or was it 2011.  In any case, it was cool with all the new rifle smell with all the cool bells, whistles, and “Kung-Fu grip” and what-not.  But, at the end of the day, it wasn’t doing anything all that better my old M4 was already doing.  Yeah, I shot expert with it but I could do that every time with my M4.  Yes, it was reliable but I never had any problems with the M4 either.  Yes, the receiver and bolt stayed cleaner but now there was a gas piston system to clean the M4 didn’t have.  Well, you could argue the M4 does gave a gas piston of sorts inside the bolt carrier I suppose.  In any case, I have to say my opinions mirrored the DODs in that while the SCAR-L is a decent weapon, it doesn’t do anything well enough to justify replacing the current M4 carbine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 8:00:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CKxx] [#15]
It's worth mentioning as well that the most controversial feature of the SCAR, the RCH, was a gov requirement of the contract they were fulfilling.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
There was a take down and subsequent shootout with some cartel members not that long ago. If I remember correctly, the police unit had spears. In the video you can multiple failures on more than 1 rifle during the exchange.  That I'd the only thing I know about the sig.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MojaveVtwin:
There was a take down and subsequent shootout with some cartel members not that long ago. If I remember correctly, the police unit had spears. In the video you can multiple failures on more than 1 rifle during the exchange.  That I'd the only thing I know about the sig.
View Quote

Those were not Spears or even Spear-LT setups but the MCX Virtus with what looked to be 6.75" barrels and subsonic rounds. The 6.75" is known for not liking some sub rounds causing short stroking. A new plug is being used now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top