Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2024 8:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM]
I picked up a used Omni VII MX-10130D/UV tube to replace an older Omni I or II. World of difference...I love the tube minus a few small defects. Looks like debris inside the tube:

Primary concerns:

Looks like 2 or 3 separate marks. I don't believe these are scratches, and they are definitely with the tube (old tube does not show these marks).

Is there any way to clean this up?
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You can try the sock drawer trick by turning on your PVS7 and placing it inside of a container that will not allow any light inside for 24 hours. If that doesn't work, stop starring at white walls, get out to actually use your PVS7 out in the real world and those marks will disappear into the surroundings.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
You can try the sock drawer trick by turning on your PVS7 and placing it inside of a container that will not allow any light inside for 24 hours. If that doesn't work, stop starring at white walls, get out to actually use your PVS7 out in the real world and those marks will disappear into the surroundings.
View Quote

It looks more like debris than spots on the tube, so not how effective the "sock drawer" trick would be.

As for the latter, I have used it in the "real world". The marks DO NOT disappear into the surroundings.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:35:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I may have found the cause of that dark short line; a scratch.

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By chosos:
you typically will seldom notice minor damage or scratches on the input side unless you add a daylight cap or some type of aperture device. You would notice imperfections on the output side (eyepiece/ocular).
View Quote

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense.

Crap.

My eyes tend to be picky about obstructions and debris. Tube performs great, but, I may just have to find something without blems and sell this one. From the photos I didn't figure they'd be an issue, but that's all my eyes see now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NAM:

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense.

Crap.

My eyes tend to be picky about obstructions and debris. Tube performs great, but, I may just have to find something without blems and sell this one. From the photos I didn't figure they'd be an issue, but that's all my eyes see now.
View Quote

Stop looking at white walls and get out there and use it . I totally agree with you so I'll gladly take it off your hands at a discounted prices since it has blems (seriously if you sell it LMK). I had a loaner 14 tube that had a decent size blem in zone 2/3 and it never bothered me when used. You'll be surprised how little of a difference it makes under use.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:

Stop looking at white walls and get out there and use it
View Quote

Let me put it this way...

Some time back, I hit a deer. Cracked the windshield. Repair shop replaced it. Had a small bubble at eye level, drove me apeshit. Took it back, they put in a new windshield...that had ripples on the right side. Took it back, they put in a new windshield...that had ripples on the driver's side. Took it back, they put in a new windshield...that had a stress fracture a week later.

I totally get what you're saying. For some people, it might not be a problem. For me, my eyes go nuts if there's an obstruction/debris in my view.

It'll work for now, but as soon as I find a decent non-blem tube, this one will be sold. I'm sure it'll work great for some folks, but not for me.

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NAM:

Let me put it this way...

Some time back, I hit a deer. Cracked the windshield. Repair shop replaced it. Had a small bubble at eye level, drove me apeshit. Took it back, they put in a new windshield...that had ripples on the right side. Took it back, they put in a new windshield...that had ripples on the driver's side. Took it back, they put in a new windshield...that had a stress fracture a week later.

I totally get what you're saying. For some people, it might not be a problem. For me, my eyes go nuts if there's an obstruction/debris in my view.

It'll work for now, but as soon as I find a decent non-blem tube, this one will be sold. I'm sure it'll work great for some folks, but not for me.

View Quote

All good brahda, I just hate to see people waste money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top