Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm actually picking it up today. It arrived at my FFL on Monday but haven't had a chance to pick it up.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The Dan Haga / B&T stock is 213 grams lighter than the Makasi Triangle stock and it fits just right. If someone wants to host pics I'll email it to them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:16:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ClickClickBoom1:
The Dan Haga / B&T stock is 213 grams lighter than the Makasi Triangle stock and it fits just right. If someone wants to host pics I'll email it to them.
View Quote

Wow, that’s 7+ ounces lighter?! That’s a lot. The Haga site says it’s 14.5 oz which is almost a lb.
I just PM’d you if you want to text pics to me, I’ll post them up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Here’s your pics. Stock looks great.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I blacked out the buffalo logo and added some BUIS and now it's complete.

I think the B&T MBT stock gives it a modern look.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Any pictures of the internal bits of this bad boy?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lew:
Any pictures of the internal bits of this bad boy?
View Quote

Brigade Firearms Makasi AR-15 / FAL Hybrid: Internal Components
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my shipping notice today. 3 Makasis arrive at my dealer tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#9]
Man, these 10.5” pistols feel really light on initial inspection.I’ll get them on a scale as soon as I get home with them. Just under 5 lbs.

New pistol grips inbound for some, otherwise getting close.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClickClickBoom1] [#10]
Put one of the rifles on the scale.

Mine with The MBT stock, Houge grip, BUIS, empty magazine and m lol covers came in at 5.89 pounds. I put it on a park tool scale so it might be off.

It's lighter than my odd ball DRD Tactical Sub Six and that's a DI gun.

I just asked Brigade if they would be willing to do a custom order with a 13.9 pencil barrel and the pistol handguard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:15:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#11]
The rifle is just over 7 lbs with the factory stock before accessories.

The factory stock is very heavy at over 1 lb 7 ounces. The AGP Arms model I swapped to is 1/2 the weight at only 11.5 ounces.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the comparisons and info. Not sure how this one flew under my radar for so long, I'm a sucker for short stroke piston rifles. A pinned 14.5 looks like it'd be a handy carbine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#13]
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:
Thanks for the comparisons and info. Not sure how this one flew under my radar for so long, I'm a sucker for short stroke piston rifles. A pinned 14.5 looks like it'd be a handy carbine.
View Quote

Yeah, buddy and the manufacturer has 25% off today for Father’s Day so these are priced under a grand right now. Nutty.

Once you swap out the factory stock for something light, the 16” Makasi gets down near similarly equipped DI guns. Here it is compared to a Colt, Legacy MCX and Beretta ARX100. All with sights, cheap red dots, risers.

Colt 6 lbs, 13.8 oz
Makasi 6 lbs,14.2 oz
MCX 7 lbs, 3.5 oz
ARX100 7 lbs,4.0 oz
Bren 7 lbs, 13.2 oz
JAKL 7 lbs., 14.6 oz
Perun 8 lbs., 0.8 oz
Carmel 8 lbs., 12.2 oz
Templar Gen One 9 lbs., 5.4 oz

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#14]
Got Orion grips from Aeroknox on. They’re heavy (metal) but I dig the look and feel.

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my 3 new Makasis out to the range yesterday and tested them with some old Tula steel cased .223 ammo in GI mags. The rifle digested it but the pistols did some short stroking with the underpowered ammo. It felt like the surface of the sun so we didn’t stay long enough to try a bunch of mags or any different ammo. I may try again next weekend before  sending them back to Brigade to get the gas system tweaked a bit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I always break in 5.56 rifles with some hotter stuff before moving to weaker ammo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 12:09:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohhnyCobra] [#17]
Picked one up direct from brigade online with a sale a few weeks back, ordered the B&T stock from Hager defense. That stock showed in 2 days!
Rifle is amazingly well finished. At first cocking seemed heavy but after raking it 5-10 times it doesn’t seem that heavy.
Rifle took a little over three weeks to arrive at my FFL.

I really love the retro FAL para stock, and I see you can flip the hinge so it folds “the correct way”, away from a right hand shooter.
But I wanted it set up more modern.

The Hagen b&T stock really nice. Only concern with it is the warning that you aren’t to pull it closed from the folder position. It took a little getting used to to operate and I had a tiny concern I could damage it at some point.

I added an mlok qd point closest to the upper receiver  on the charging handle side “just in case”.

I think all I’d change if I was the boss at brigade is making it mid length gas and completely toolless to change the gas position and bolt/recoil spring takedown. Super minor  stuff as I’m not switching from suppressed to unsuppressed regularly and one 4” flat blade screwdriver covers it.

It’s 99.5% of my piston rifle wishlist. And has most of the features I liked in the FAL.
Non reciprocating side charging short stroke, easy to find spares - ar15 grips, bolts, firing pin, Fcg, safety, and sights.
Stuff that’s modified ar15- barrels, barrel nut?, bolt carrier, and bolt release.

Weight is good.

Was going to put an RT-6 scope on but had a leupold CQT sitting around and it just works.

I really want a 7.62x39 version now but I just don’t know how it feel about x39 mags in an ar15 and the 7.62x39 bolts in general

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 5:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#18]
I always break in 5.56 rifles with some hotter stuff before moving to weaker ammo.
View Quote

One of my Makasi pistols ran flawlessly today with brass cased ammo. I forgot I’d monkied with the gas setting on the other one and had the slot moved from north/south to almost horizontal. That one wouldn’t cycle properly with the brass cased but I think I’ll try it with the vertical default setting and brass cased ammo before sending it for service.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#19]
What makes this a FAL hybrid? The charging handle is similar to a FAL charging handle and the nested recoil springs look like those in a FAL Para but I am not seeing much else that is FAL like at all. The gas system looks like an AR-180 and the bolt and carrier look like a shortened piston AR-15. Am I missing something else that is FAL like?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:
What makes this a FAL hybrid? The charging handle is similar to a FAL charging handle and the nested recoil springs look like those in a FAL Para but I am not seeing much else that is FAL like at all. The gas system looks like an AR-180 and the bolt and carrier look like a shortened piston AR-15. Am I missing something else that is FAL like?
View Quote

Yeah, the FAL elements are mostly in the aesthetics. The way the receivers split open, the charging handle and asymmetrical mag well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Citizen904:

Yeah, the FAL elements are mostly in the aesthetics. The way the receivers split open, the charging handle and asymmetrical mag well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:

And the para stock.
I would say that the things that make it “better” than an AR are there - short stroke piston (opinion, not fact), adjustable gas, correct placement and operation of charging handle, lack of buffer tube to allow for a proper folding stock.

The things that make sense from a production cost/quality and accuracy perspective from the ar series - rotating bolt, ar trigger group, ar.15 barrels, pistol grip, magazines.

People wouldn’t want a tilting block rifle with rock and lock mags and those things would just blow the price up and also  bring nothing to the table except to shrink the FAL.  Aluminum was already tried for FAL receivers and it didn’t work, so we would effectively be building the imbel  5.56 rifle which would be great but  I guess it’s not practical to do that?

Anyway, there’s a lot to love with this thing if you have an open mind about it and don’t get hung up on what they left of an FAL or what the did to the ar15

It is hard to do with all of the mutant/hybrid.jakl/ar180 stuff out there and more every day. For me, this one  is cheaper than a scar and less complicated than a Robinson, as well as using more off the shelf stuff which is nice to me. It doesn’t hurt that I really love the FAL
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
https://i.ibb.co/Y0cRZ8s/IMG-3583.jpg

How my 16” Rifles compared:
Scar- great overall, addicting recoil impulse, expensive

Spear LT-if side charging might be Scar equal

Bren 2-does nothing poorly, great all around

XCR-ultra reliable, wish stock more intuitive, lefties might not like charging handle

Makasi-great all around, when used unbeatable bang for buck

MCX Gen 1-solid do everything gun at used prices, excellent balance

ARX100-super light, stiff controls when new, great value, most ambi, not 100% with underpowered .223 ammo

Galil Ace-ultra reliable, decent value, pointlessly heavy, would be amazing if 1.5 lbs lighter

Perun X16-excellent balance and overall weight, good ergos, rare, exotic aesthetics, great stock, okay reliability with cheap .223, expensive

Crusader Templar-blems a good value at $899, charging handle too pointy, not 100% with underpowered .223 ammo, too heavy (Gen 2’s are lighter)

556xi-some nostalgic Swiss styling elements, reliable with cheap .223 ammo, stock hard on the collar bone (personal placement), decent value if bought right ($1.0k), keymod dated, xi trim a must to swap charging handle sides

Carmel-seemed decent all around except mine was the most ammo sensitive gun in my collection - it hated / wouldn’t cycle underpowered .223, not the heaviest but could’ve stood to lose a lb

BRN180-okay reliability with cheap .223 ammo, charging handle not available on my preferred side, very light, great handling, good value when used

JAKL-pretty good all around except front heavy and the charging handle on my 13.7” was super hard to actuate at times, some stovepiping with cheap ammo, my JAKL pistol functioned better all around but was still front heavy.

LE Trade In Colt 6920-light, very reliable with cheap ammo (not sure at higher round counts), old school charging handle location, no folding stock, best non-piston cheap option though a used piston Makasi is very close for bang for buck

Cost factored in I’d probably grab a braced 11” Bren 2 pistol ahead of any of these for a go to option.
View Quote

Great collection of obscure / semi obscure non-AR rifles.

Thanks OP for adding this one to my consider list.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JohhnyCobra:

less complicated than a Robinson,
View Quote
What’s complicated about the Robinson? I took one apart yesterday, and it didn’t seem anymore complex than an AK.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
What’s complicated about the Robinson? I took one apart yesterday, and it didn’t seem anymore complex than an AK.
View All Quotes

It’s maybe not fair to say “complicated” but the front trunion? Screws into the monolithic upper and they have quad/keymod and mlok uppers of various lengths vs a proprietary handguard on the makasi with a standard ar type barrel arrangement.
Also have had gas block/setup revisions on the Robinson, which I seem to recall - maybe I’m wrong there.
Fantastic rifles but a little more pricey than the makasi- with a lot more options too, I’ll give you that.

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#25]

It’s maybe not fair to say “complicated” but the front trunion? Screws into the monolithic upper and they have quad/keymod and mlok uppers of various lengths vs a proprietary handguard on the makasi with a standard ar type barrel arrangement.
Also have had gas block/setup revisions on the Robinson, which I seem to recall - maybe I’m wrong there.
Fantastic rifles but a little more pricey than the makasi- with a lot more options too, I’ll give you that.

View All Quotes

The XCR barrel is held in place by one screw. Torqued properly, it will return to zero. I know: my brother and I tried it on ours. I don't see what's complicated about that. Wouldn't the Makasi with a removable forend be more complicated than a monolithic upper?

The gas block (and bolt) has been revised, but, should someone buy a new XCR, those points would not be relevant.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohhnyCobra] [#26]

The XCR barrel is held in place by one screw. Torqued properly, it will return to zero. I know: my brother and I tried it on ours. I don't see what's complicated about that. Wouldn't the Makasi with a removable forend be more complicated than a monolithic upper?

The gas block (and bolt) has been revised, but, should someone buy a new XCR, those points would not be relevant.
View All Quotes

One screw into a proprietary trunion block  with a proprietary barrel inside of an aluminum monolithic upper “sleeve”.
It’s just more parts and proprietary to that rifle alone.

Like I said, complicated probably isn’t the right word, but it’s more expensive to make and doesn’t use off the shelf or similar parts.
**edit, I’m going to get ripped for saying proprietary on Xcr when the  makati doesn’t have a standard upper and forend either, but it’s “familiar” in design.

Still a great rifle and system so not taking that away.
I think swapping forends without having to buy a whole upper sleeve is less of a hassle, but like I said, maybe complicated is the wrong word.
Xcr is from the ground up its own thing even if the bolt and and carrier/piston are very AK like.

Whereas the makasi leverages a lot of off the shelf stuff.

**edit - not shitting on the Xcr , I was simply compelled to pay less (half) for a new Makasi for all of the features I was looking for in a rifle like the Xcr . Not necessarily all of the features and quality an Xcr offers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, the XCR is pretty amazing. But they’re $1,600+ used and the Makasi, when on special, is $1,000 new from the manufacturer’s web site. Huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I didn’t mean to compare it to the Makasi (because I don’t know much about the Makasi) or strike a nerve about cost or anything, I was just wondering what made the XCR complicated. Sounds like we just miscommunicated, which happens on the internet. Carry on, and forget I asked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 3:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#29]
Got bored and swapped the hand guard on a 10.5” Makasi to an old Vltor from the parts bin. Feels better in the hand to me. Took a bit of grinding on the interior contours to get all the clearances right.

Link Posted: 8/10/2024 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Got bored and swapped the hand guard on a 10.5” Makasi to an old Vltor from the parts bin. Feels better in the hand to me. Took a bit of grinding on the interior contours to get all the clearances right.

https://iili.io/dlUIAiP.md.jpg
View Quote

MUCH better. That actually makes me want one from a style perspective.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]

https://iili.io/dlUIAiP.md.jpg
View Quote

That rear sight…….
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

That rear sight…….
View Quote

I didn't even look that far back, lol. Also would look better with a delta ring to fill that gap in the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

That rear sight…….
View Quote

Yeah hung it back to cover that gap in the rail out back. In the flesh it looks better than it did up toward the optic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Interested.  I wonder why they chose such a terrible stock for an otherwise well thought out rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cspackler33:
Interested.  I wonder why they chose such a terrible stock for an otherwise well thought out rifle.
View Quote

I think it was the FAL vibe aesthetics. It’s just too heavy though. They lowered the prices on all Makasi models on their site and the pistols are now $999.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#36]

I think it was the FAL vibe aesthetics. It's just too heavy though. They lowered the prices on all Makasi models on their site and the pistols are now $999.
View Quote
That is NOT helping me not think of getting one!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top