Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2017 10:39:06 PM EDT
I typically use a Lee Load All for 12ga. reloading.  I'd like to load up some mini shells so I can fit more in the tube, especially with my AOW.  I'm thinking I could put a block of wood on the platform to raise the shells up for loading and crimping. Has anyone had any luck with making mini shells?  When it comes to 1oz. slugs and 00 Buck....what powder/wad loads do you use?  I usually use green dot for 12ga.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The English standard is 2 1/2" and the also have 12ga 2" shells.

I've heard trimming shells is a pita.

I think I have about a case of fired 2 1/2" shells you are welcome to for the shipping (if I still have them - sold my 2 1/2 chambered English SxS.)
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The English standard is 2 1/2" and the also have 12ga 2" shells.

I've heard trimming shells is a pita.

I think I have about a case of fired 2 1/2" shells you are welcome to for the shipping (if I still have them - sold my 2 1/2 chambered English SxS.)
View Quote
After a little searching around it seems like the way to go for doing this is to cut the top of the hull off to the desired length and then buy a roll crimper to finish it off.  For some reason the Russians seem to be REALLLYY into roll crimping as most of the devices I've seen come out of the "Russian Federation".  The drill bit is only like $20 shipped but the bench clamp version with the hand crank seems a lot quicker, easier, and doesn't need electricity/battery to work.  

Since this doesn't seem to be a real popular/well-known topic here, I guess I'll have to experiment load-wise.  Thanks

EDIT:  And THANKS for that offer!  But I've got a whole bag full of hulls I can mess around with.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
go asking around at shotgunworld or castboolits.

more scattergun reloaders on those sites.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

After a little searching around it seems like the way to go for doing this is to cut the top of the hull off to the desired length and then buy a roll crimper to finish it off.  For some reason the Russians seem to be REALLLYY into roll crimping as most of the devices I've seen come out of the "Russian Federation".  The drill bit is only like $20 shipped but the bench clamp version with the hand crank seems a lot quicker, easier, and doesn't need electricity/battery to work.  

Since this doesn't seem to be a real popular/well-known topic here, I guess I'll have to experiment load-wise.  Thanks

EDIT:  And THANKS for that offer!  But I've got a whole bag full of hulls I can mess around with.
View Quote
@Emt1581

You can buy the hull trimmer, hull vise, and roll crimper from ballistic products.  Here

I worked up a few loads using unique and a chronograph, but off book shotgun shell loads can be very dangerous so I don't want to divulge just in case it is not safe in your firearm.

And you will hate life if you need to do a large amount of shells via manual methods, the roll crimper and a drill press can lead to a very consistent product.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Emt1581

You can buy the hull trimmer, hull vise, and roll crimper from ballistic products.  Here

I worked up a few loads using unique and a chronograph, but off book shotgun shell loads can be very dangerous so I don't want to divulge just in case it is not safe in your firearm.

And you will hate life if you need to do a large amount of shells via manual methods, the roll crimper and a drill press can lead to a very consistent product.
View Quote
I greatly appreciate the link but I'm going to be going with this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roll-Crimper-Hand-Tool-for-Shotshell-Reloading-12-GA-12/332432429534?hash=item4d668451de:g:0RMAAOSw~XpZSdeN

Seems like it'll do the same thing for a lot less.  As for loads, I just need to hear from someone that's used green dot, how many grains they use and then what they do to wads/cups.  I'm guessing, as suggested above, I can learn a lot of that from reading elsewhere.  

Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
$3.99 for the book - Loading Shortened Hulls

I hope you come back with some details.

These were loaded last night with the BPI roll crimp tool and the Slugs R Us Sabots, the blue shells are factory rolled Lightfields.  I'm very interested if your Ebay find really turns out a good roll crimp.

Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I greatly appreciate the link but I'm going to be going with this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roll-Crimper-Hand-Tool-for-Shotshell-Reloading-12-GA-12/332432429534?hash=item4d668451de:g:0RMAAOSw~XpZSdeN

Seems like it'll do the same thing for a lot less.  As for loads, I just need to hear from someone that's used green dot, how many grains they use and then what they do to wads/cups.  I'm guessing, as suggested above, I can learn a lot of that from reading elsewhere.  

Thanks again!!
View Quote
I'm curious how that tool works.  It looks like it will crush the shell.  I don't see how turning it by hand will warm the plastic enough to get a consistent crimp.  Let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm curious how that tool works.  It looks like it will crush the shell.  I don't see how turning it by hand will warm the plastic enough to get a consistent crimp.  Let us know how it works.
View Quote
There's a vid showing it functioning.  However, there's also the traditional kind that clamps to the table and then you pull the rear lever forward while hand turning the front crank and those seem to have been around for a long time.  

Here's an example...

https://ft-camp.com/shooting/rctt?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKDnkv7UduhVHbx6D7DAylcUue4QX3DXSFHIGbj0NqSQ6k6e7OOqZDhoCf94QAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's a vid showing it functioning.  However, there's also the traditional kind that clamps to the table and then you pull the rear lever forward while hand turning the front crank and those seem to have been around for a long time.  

Here's an example...

https://ft-camp.com/shooting/rctt?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKDnkv7UduhVHbx6D7DAylcUue4QX3DXSFHIGbj0NqSQ6k6e7OOqZDhoCf94QAvD_BwE
View Quote
But you are correct in that it looks like the earlier one I linked to functions with a screwing mechanism that actively presses the shell.  I'm betting some on the shotgun sites have experience with it.  Like I said, just have to find some time today/this week to do some research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top