Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2024 3:14:46 PM EDT
I ordered a replacement battery cap from TNVC and the wire lanyard is already crimped. Anyone found a good technique to open the crimp up so I can loop it around the housing?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The only way it's to loosen the 4 housing screws to install the lanyard. If your worried about the nitrogen purge, you can get it redone or simply open the housing in a dry non humid area.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Could you just use one of these?

https://niteize.com/s-biner-microlock-aluminum

Other than that idea. You could de-crimp it by squeezing the edges with a pair of pliers, then slide the cable out and loop it, then put the wire back in and re-crush it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 3:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogman1911] [#4]
The unit is 10 years old. The hole for the lanyard is offset from the battery housing screw so removing the housing won't help. The crimp is pretty small so pinching it open seems like it will mangle it more than open it up. I'm considering hammering an awl in the crimp hole; perhaps put some heat to it first to make it more pliable.

In the end, it's not a deal-breaker if the cap is not attached to the housing, but it would be nice because we all know how that shit magically unscrews itself.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes you have to be dumber than the thing you're working on. I used tried and true safety wire.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you use a small split ring? You could put it thru the hole on the housing and the crimped end of the cap lanyard.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
AFW makes Suflon nylon coated stainless steel leader cable in different diameters and crimps. I use that and Klien wire crimpers that will give you the same crimp on your lanyard now. I've used this for NV as well as Aimpoint Comp M series battery cap lanyards. IMHO the quickest, cheapest solution is using kevlar mini paracord for all of my lanyard retention needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top