Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Port cover falling off?? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My port cover did eject itself one day, luckily I was able to find it in the grass. It is a bad design, a half measure. All to cater to some genetic defects. They should just do some runs of lefty stocks.

Anyways, I twisted and bent the metal tab so it is quite snug in there now and it's been fine since. But it did have me question how Steyr could engineer such an amazing rifle and then slap that piece of junk on there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mad_mardigan:
My port cover did eject itself one day, luckily I was able to find it in the grass. It is a bad design, a half measure. All to cater to some genetic defects. They should just do some runs of lefty stocks.

Anyways, I twisted and bent the metal tab so it is quite snug in there now and it's been fine since. But it did have me question how Steyr could engineer such an amazing rifle and then slap that piece of junk on there.
View Quote

It was a half baked addition, akin to some early generation cup holders on fine European cars;, a place where people don't have coffee while driving.

I'm still thinking the best path is just remove it and tastfully apply clear tape to make it into a window.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hold the fuck on!

What cover are we talking about? I started out thinking we were talking about the left side ejection port cover but now I see we moved on to the rear cover.

I knocked off the ejection port cover once, bent it back per maleante's instructions(when maleante was maleante and held onto my rifle better and been good ever since.

I'll be the first to admit my cognitive skills are slipping away quickly, but the OP should buy the AUG just to have at least one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
To the OP. From what I am reading from You maybe the AUG is not the rifle for You. You have to many preconceived notions about the AUG. You could buy the gun adapt to the platform and enjoy the rifle from now on but if I were You I would look elsewhere.

The cleaning kit cover goes tab in and the tab rests on the shelf inside the stock. The tab does not bend down or up. Once it is seated properly the butt stock cover will seat fine. To remove the cleaning kit cover just push in on the top of the cover and the bottom will pop right out
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:57:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#5]
Originally Posted By texasyid:
To the OP. From what I am reading from You maybe the AUG is not the rifle for You. You have to many preconceived notions about the AUG. You could buy the gun adapt to the platform and enjoy the rifle from now on but if I were You I would look elsewhere.

The cleaning kit cover goes tab in and the tab rests on the shelf inside the stock. The tab does not bend down or up. Once it is seated properly the butt stock cover will seat fine. To remove the cleaning kit cover just push in on the top of the cover and the bottom will pop right out
View Quote

It's all stuff I've seen in photos or read here, man.
I was talking about the ejection port cover. That one freaked me out more than all the other stuff. I had finally made the decision to buy one and then I heard about the cover; which was then confirmed by the most expert aug guy around as a rare, but real issue.
I still think there's one in my future. Every time I look at pictures of the long rail green model. It looks like a delicious piece of chocolate to me.

I know about the takedown pin positions. I was really squirming at a gun shop thinking I broke the butt pad.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
sounds like you've been spending too much time on reddit

polymer fcg: it's a good thing
'heavy weight': balances at the pistol grip, easy to manage 1-handed. doesn't feel as heavy as front heavy guns
nitrided 1/9 barrel: yes 1/8 would be nice but I've shot 77gr otm without a problem, it's still a Steyr CHF barrel
propretary mag: still one of the best polymer mags ever made. there is zero need to slap the mag in on an open bolt, it's not an AR
trigger pull: red springs fixes this
View Quote

What would be NICE is if for 1600$ i got the military barrel the way i do with a 1000$ m4
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:05:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#7]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

The only thing holding me back at this point from going back to an AUG is the ongoing issues with the stocks.  I'm going to ride it out a little bit.  Everything else you've cited as issues, aren't.  No, I wouldn't build an AR with a nitrided barrel.  CL is king.  But whether I like it or not, nitriding is becoming more and more common and if one wants an AUG, a nitrided barrel is what you are going to get.  

FYI, the MCX has a nitrided barrel.      

ETA: I stand corrected, it appears the upper conversion kits come with a CL barrel.

View Quote

They mold sharp corners into the plastic; it's going to be ongoing until they radius or undercut the corners -think ar upper gas tube hole.

Anytime you have sharp transitions in a part under stress you have stress concentrations eventually leading to failure. If the part is going to fail, that will be where. Since this whole obviously bares some of the recoil, it's absolutely idiotic design - like the lugs on ar bolts. The smart play would have been to make the receiver a little bit deeper and put a round pin thru.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Unless you’re shooting fullauto it’s likely a non issue. SwissArms stgw90/pe90/550/551/552/553 barrels and B&T APC556 barrels are CHF nitrided and have very high longevity.  

I’d prefer a CHF CL barrel too, but a Steyr Austria CHF barrel that’s nitrided is still an outstanding barrel, especially for someone shooting a semiauto AUG.

AUGs are very reliable. The trigger leaves much to be desired, but it’s not a deal breaker. HK roller delays have terrible triggers and life would be incomplete without a few.

You buy an AUG to appreciate it for what it is, not to shoehorn it into something it is not. It has shortcomings over a quality AR, as do ALL rifles that are not an AR.

That doesn’t make it not worth owning.

There is exactly zero value to internet “research” when compared with actual first hand experience.  You need to shoot an AUG before you can say that any of your preconceived notions are accurate.

I agree with other posters, you should not buy an AUG.
View Quote

But with this barrel you are NOT getting an aug IS. I don't know why this is falling on deaf ears. If real aug came with this barrel it'd be a diff convo - and a diff gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

But with this barrel you are NOT getting an aug IS. I don't know why this is falling on deaf ears. If real aug came with this barrel it'd be a diff convo - and a diff gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Unless you’re shooting fullauto it’s likely a non issue. SwissArms stgw90/pe90/550/551/552/553 barrels and B&T APC556 barrels are CHF nitrided and have very high longevity.  

I’d prefer a CHF CL barrel too, but a Steyr Austria CHF barrel that’s nitrided is still an outstanding barrel, especially for someone shooting a semiauto AUG.

AUGs are very reliable. The trigger leaves much to be desired, but it’s not a deal breaker. HK roller delays have terrible triggers and life would be incomplete without a few.

You buy an AUG to appreciate it for what it is, not to shoehorn it into something it is not. It has shortcomings over a quality AR, as do ALL rifles that are not an AR.

That doesn’t make it not worth owning.

There is exactly zero value to internet “research” when compared with actual first hand experience.  You need to shoot an AUG before you can say that any of your preconceived notions are accurate.

I agree with other posters, you should not buy an AUG.

In what material, noticeable and appreciable way would the AUG be a different gun if the ATF somehow allowed a bunch of Austrian chrome-lined barrels into the country for the AUGs, vs the nitrided ones made from the same blanks in the US? It ain't the Austrians preventing it, it's the US ATF/Customs.

Having had a bunch of both? I didn't and don't notice a single difference between them save some small things which favor the nitride barrels. They seem more precise in my sample size of 4. Cleaning wise they seem to be about the same to clean. I don't have to worry about the nitriding crumbling or being applied unevenly, unlike chrome. I don't have to worry about chrome flaking off at either end of the barrel. The phosphated/painted exterior of a chrome-lined barrel will show corrosion/rust before the nitrided barrels will.

I mean I could go on forever about things. Seriously, unless you are super hardcore LARPing, it's just not a factor.

And if you ARE buying it just for LARPing content, well, you're kind of screwed since a lot of the accessories you'd need for authentic LARPing you simply can't buy in the US, like the Rheinmetall LLM-VarioRay laser/light module. In which case, give up and move on to another platform for your LARP needs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:51:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#10]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

In what material, noticeable and appreciable way would the AUG be a different gun if the ATF somehow allowed a bunch of Austrian chrome-lined barrels into the country for the AUGs, vs the nitrided ones made from the same blanks in the US? It ain't the Austrians preventing it, it's the US ATF/Customs.

Having had a bunch of both? I didn't and don't notice a single difference between them save some small things which favor the nitride barrels. They seem more precise in my sample size of 4. Cleaning wise they seem to be about the same to clean. I don't have to worry about the nitriding crumbling or being applied unevenly, unlike chrome. I don't have to worry about chrome flaking off at either end of the barrel. The phosphated/painted exterior of a chrome-lined barrel will show corrosion/rust before the nitrided barrels will.

I mean I could go on forever about things. Seriously, unless you are super hardcore LARPing, it's just not a factor.

And if you ARE buying it just for LARPing content, well, you're kind of screwed since a lot of the accessories you'd need for authentic LARPing you simply can't buy in the US, like the Rheinmetall LLM-VarioRay laser/light module. In which case, give up and move on to another platform for your LARP needs.
View Quote

They seem to bring chromed AK barrels in just fine. They could also chrome them here like all the American guns. I don't know what the fucking story is with that. I like the chrome mostly because it belongs there. I also like it for corrosion resistance. The fact that you can phosphate nitrides parts tell you what they say about its corrosion resistance is nonsense.
And just last month someone tried to sell me rusty nitrides sites.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:33:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#11]

They seem to bring chromed AK barrels in just fine. They could also chrome them here like all the American guns. I don't know what the fucking story is with that. I like the chrome mostly because it belongs there. I also like it for corrosion resistance. The fact that you can phosphate nitrides parts tell you what they say about its corrosion resistance is nonsense.
And just last month someone tried to sell me rusty nitrides sites.
View Quote

There are a few nuances to importing complete barrels that you don’t seem to understand. Steyr absolutely could chrome line the bore and chamber of their US AUG barrels. For whatever reason, they don’t and it’s truly not a big deal. Properly done nitride has excellent corrosion resistance. Just look at a Tenifer Glock slide and barrel. I carried an early Glock 27 AIWB in south Florida daily for around 10 years, sweating onto the gun every day, never wiping it down, with no rust ever. I did the same with a W German p228 and had rust on the slide after a few days. SIG/SwissArms has been nitriding their barrels since mid Stgw57 production. The stgw90 series have very high barrel longevity and they are nitrided. You seem to be biased against nitrided barrels based on the bargain bin nitrided AR barrels available in the US.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:28:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#12]

There are a few nuances to importing complete barrels that you don’t seem to understand. Steyr absolutely could chrome line the bore and chamber of their US AUG barrels. For whatever reason, they don’t and it’s truly not a big deal. Properly done nitride has excellent corrosion resistance. Just look at a Tenifer Glock slide and barrel. I carried an early Glock 27 AIWB in south Florida daily for around 10 years, sweating onto the gun every day, never wiping it down, with no rust ever. I did the same with a W German p228 and had rust on the slide after a few days. SIG/SwissArms has been nitriding their barrels since mid Stgw57 production. The stgw90 series have very high barrel longevity and they are nitrided. You seem to be biased against nitrided barrels based on the bargain bin nitrided AR barrels available in the US.
View Quote

If you looked it up instead of spouting you would know they thread the ak barrels here. 2005 bush jr blah blah i didnt join up yesterday.

It's obviously a big fucking deal to me. Nitride is just a case hardening the older Glocks had something over the top of it.

Chrome is the shit

I dont understand why i have to argue about such a major change as twist rate and removing coating being kind of a big deal - and for no good reason.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#13]

If you looked it up instead of spouting you would know they thread the ak barrels here. 2005 bush jr blah blah i didnt join up yesterday.

It's obviously a big fucking deal to me. Nitride is just a case hardening the older Glocks had something over the top of it.

Chrome is the shit
View Quote

Ha. Look it up. That’s funny. Thank you for the laugh. You don’t know me or what I know. Good luck to you in your life on the spectrum search for perfection.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Ha. Look it up. That’s funny. Thank you for the laugh. You don’t know me or what I know. Good luck to you in your life on the spectrum search for perfection.
View Quote

Nothing to show you are losing an argument like attacking me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
You’re going to be shooting paper, dirt, or steel, or magdumping into garbage. Who cares if it’s not min/maxed to the level that you think it should be. I’ve never had a port cover come off on any of my AUGs after thousands of rounds. If chrome lined barrels are such a big deal to you just buy one secondhand, they’re regularly for sale. I’ve got plenty of guns that are fun to shoot but if you look at them funny they’ll malfunction; the AUG is not one of them. I’d have zero issues depending on it if it were my only go to rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#16]
Not getting into that random pissing match. But if you really want a Chrome lined BBL, I'll trade my CHF Chrome lined 18"BBL (used) for a new 20" Malonited BBL RFN!  
(After all, people talk like Chrome line is impervious to wear, right? )
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CapnJazz:
You’re going to be shooting paper, dirt, or steel, or magdumping into garbage. Who cares if it’s not min/maxed to the level that you think it should be. I’ve never had a port cover come off on any of my AUGs after thousands of rounds. If chrome lined barrels are such a big deal to you just buy one secondhand, they’re regularly for sale. I’ve got plenty of guns that are fun to shoot but if you look at them funny they’ll malfunction; the AUG is not one of them. I’d have zero issues depending on it if it were my only go to rifle.
View Quote

You are asking me who cares if it isn't what i think it ought to be? I do, obviousltс

It's not what steyr thinks it should be since they make this only for the commercial market.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 5:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#18]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Not getting into that random pissing match. But if you really want a Chrome lined BBL, I'll trade my CHF Chrome lined 18"BBL (used) for a new 20" Malonited BBL RFN!  
(After all, people talk like Chrome line is impervious to wear, right? )
View Quote

I'm not crazy about buying a gun just to immediately spend what could buy a whole ar15 to get the barrel closer to milspec. If i do i want a 16". Ideally it'd like the 13.8 to pin and weld but we both know that isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty sure the shortest barrels are 14.5"; shorter than that and you're at the gas block. The 14.5" Commando barrels are out there...

Frankly if you want "milspec" you're looking for a 14.5", 16", or 20" chrome line 13x1LH threaded barrel, which is not sold on new AUGs. You can find one on gunbroker, but you're going to pay for it. Fortunately for you they're not serial numbered to the receiver, so you can mix and match to your hearts content. Like everyone's been trying to tell you though - the nitrided barrels are pretty much better. But, you do you - you can check gunbroker for replacement barrels.

Going for "milspec" on newer AUGs is basically a negative sum game though - you can't do it, because all the go-fast goodies aren't available in the US. The A3 is probably the last iteration you could buy that was as close to "milspec" as you could buy in the US, and even then you had to buy the special optic for it, as well as try to source the "military rail", which was taller and longer than the one sold on the rifles in the US. PJS was a source of them, until he wasn't. The A3M1 is close, but ...you'll never get it to %100, depending on how you define that last %10.

Fortunately, you can make the AUG a bit better than it's "as issued" livery to a lot of the countries that use it...except for the laser/light modules which you can't buy in the US. Optics, etc - everything else gets you there, and you can buy the "correct" barrels for it if you really want to.

Here's a 14.5" AUG commando barrel length of barrel vs the gas block:

And yes that one is chrome lined...I sold my other one, this one I'm not planning on selling.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#20]
Pretty sure the shortest barrels are 14.5"; shorter than that and you're at the gas block. The 14.5" Commando barrels are out there...

Frankly if you want "milspec" you're looking for a 14.5", 16", or 20" chrome line 13x1LH threaded barrel, which is not sold on new AUGs. You can find one on gunbroker, but you're going to pay for it. Fortunately for you they're not serial numbered to the receiver, so you can mix and match to your hearts content. Like everyone's been trying to tell you though - the nitrided barrels are pretty much better. But, you do you - you can check gunbroker for replacement barrels.

Going for "milspec" on newer AUGs is basically a negative sum game though - you can't do it, because all the go-fast goodies aren't available in the US. The A3 is probably the last iteration you could buy that was as close to "milspec" as you could buy in the US, and even then you had to buy the special optic for it, as well as try to source the "military rail", which was taller and longer than the one sold on the rifles in the US. PJS was a source of them, until he wasn't. The A3M1 is close, but ...you'll never get it to %100, depending on how you define that last %10.

Fortunately, you can make the AUG a bit better than it's "as issued" livery to a lot of the countries that use it...except for the laser/light modules which you can't buy in the US. Optics, etc - everything else gets you there, and you can buy the "correct" barrels for it if you really want to.

Here's a 14.5" AUG commando barrel length of barrel vs the gas block:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22779/IMG_1712-cropped-2613470.jpg

And yes that one is chrome lined...I sold my other one, this one I'm not planning on selling.
View Quote

Look if up :)
There is an austrian sbr 13.8 barrel. They call it 14.
Apparently only a few made it to our shores and they are worth thousands. Either way, id much prefer chromed and 1/7 if possible. The 14.5" is a commercial concoction.

Maybe the one in the photo you posted is 13.8?
I think a3 is real ugly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Plus the plastic fcg, heavy weight, nitrided 1/9 barrel, proprietary mags that present a round sideways if  you spank it, the trigger pull, and so on....

Doesn't seem like a crowd-pleaser.

Eta and the sharp-edge cross-bar safety
And the awkward mag changes
View Quote

Sounds like the AUG isn't for you.  Others would argue ...

The plastic FCG has worked perfectly since 1977.
The weight is in the rear making the gun balance superbly.
Some people prefer nitride. I'm a chrome-line guy, but nitride is my second choice. CL barrels are available too. It takes 5 seconds to change an AUG barrel.
The mags what let the top round pop out came from a certain batch of recent manufacture.  If you have some of these, Steyr will replace them.
The trigger pull can be changed with a replacement sear and/or red springs. Personally I'm printing groups with my stock trigger that would make most AR guys jealous.
The cross bar safety does have sharp edges. Sand paper at Wal-Mart, $2.  The safety is the only one I can easily manipulate wearing mittens. Yes, MITTENS. The gun is designed to be operated with them.
The mag change is a training issue.  No different than a paddle release vs button release or other bullpups. Again, all of the controls are LARGE for mitten use.  The mag release is HUGE and in an obvious place.

The AUG lingers (1977 to current) because it is a good firearm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#22]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

Some people prefer nitride. I'm a chrome-line guy, but nitride is my second choice. CL barrels are available too. It takes 5 seconds to change an AUG barrel.
The mags what let the top round pop out came from a certain batch of recent manufacture.  If you have some of these, Steyr will replace them.
The trigger pull can be changed with a replacement sear and/or red springs. Personally I'm printing groups with my stock trigger that would make most AR guys jealous.
The cross bar safety does have sharp edges. Sand paper at Wal-Mart, $2.  The safety is the only one I can easily manipulate wearing mittens. Yes, MITTENS. The gun is designed to be operated with them.
The mag change is a training issue.  No different than a paddle release vs button release or other bullpups. Again, all of the controls are LARGE for mitten use.  The mag release is HUGE and in an obvious place.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

Plus the plastic fcg, heavy weight, nitrided 1/9 barrel, proprietary mags that present a round sideways if  you spank it, the trigger pull, and so on....

Doesn't seem like a crowd-pleaser.

Eta and the sharp-edge cross-bar safety
And the awkward mag changes

I'll agree with all of this.  With the exception that I don't agree with adjusting the safety.  Those sharp edges are a  feature, and inmistakable reminder that "hey, you're safety is still on dude" while you are trying to engage your trigger figure.   That, and just how soft are everyone's hands these days anyway?  It's not THAT sharp.  

As to mag-change, that's a non-item if you run the gun any at all.  Upon bolt lock, take left hand, grab mag, depress thumb into mag release, pull out mag.  It's plenty fast and easy.  If you just MUST shave a half second; then grab spare mag in left hand, use it to push the mag release button while sweeping forward, insert fresh mag.  I dont' do it that way, but you can if you really want.   Also, people way WAY over fixate on how fast they can do a mag-change after they fucked up the first 30 rounds of the encounter.  And it's plenty fast, while also being secure.  leave it alone.  YOu also can insert a fresh mag under a bolt-closed AUG far more reliably than you can with an AR.  Personally, I despise Tavor's and RDB's "faster" mag release system - and consider them "accidental" mag release systems.  Because as much eye-roll I have at people thinking the speed to round 43 and 44 (or I guess 31 and 32 for most mags); are actually going to be the deciding factor in any actual encounter as a civilian with a semi-auto rifle; there definitely IS an impact of rounds 2-42 there on the ground in the mag after round 1 was fired.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#23]

I'll agree with all of this.  With the exception that I don't agree with adjusting the safety.  Those sharp edges are a  feature, and inmistakable reminder that "hey, you're safety is still on dude" while you are trying to engage your trigger figure.   That, and just how soft are everyone's hands these days anyway?  It's not THAT sharp.  

As to mag-change, that's a non-item if you run the gun any at all.  Upon bolt lock, take left hand, grab mag, depress thumb into mag release, pull out mag.  It's plenty fast and easy.  If you just MUST shave a half second; then grab spare mag in left hand, use it to push the mag release button while sweeping forward, insert fresh mag.  I dont' do it that way, but you can if you really want.   Also, people way WAY over fixate on how fast they can do a mag-change after they fucked up the first 30 rounds of the encounter.  And it's plenty fast, while also being secure.  leave it alone.  YOu also can insert a fresh mag under a bolt-closed AUG far more reliably than you can with an AR.  Personally, I despise Tavor's and RDB's "faster" mag release system - and consider them "accidental" mag release systems.  Because as much eye-roll I have at people thinking the speed to round 43 and 44 (or I guess 31 and 32 for most mags); are actually going to be the deciding factor in any actual encounter as a civilian with a semi-auto rifle; there definitely IS an impact of rounds 2-42 there on the ground in the mag after round 1 was fired.
View Quote

I 100% agree with leaving the safety alone. My comment was for those with lady hands.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Look if up :)
There is an austrian sbr 13.8 barrel. They call it 14.
Apparently only a few made it to our shores and they are worth thousands. Either way, id much prefer chromed and 1/7 if possible. The 14.5" is a commercial concoction.

Maybe the one in the photo you posted is 13.8?
I think a3 is real ugly.
View Quote

Somewhere between 40 to 80 of the 13.8 in barrels are in the US. They have one and seven twists and are chrome lined. They were made out the same machinery as the 24 inch 1/7 LMG bbl.

It's interesting because there are obviously very different barrels but they have the same twist rate but for very different reasons.

The reason why the 13.8 inch has a 1/7 twist is to make sure that the projectile is fully stabilized even at high altitude and extreme cold as per the Austrian Alps.

The reason why the 24 in has 1/6 twist is for tracers due to the LMG role.

I have one of each. The 13.8 works very well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#25]
My local FFL proprietor just told me that his aunt had one and the cover flew off three times before she got rid of the gun. At the same time I just found this interesting accessory. If I’m not mistaken, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but the original cover is rubber? Maybe this thing will be more secure and you can operate left-handed. Looks like a potential game changer.

https://youtu.be/XbnAogMWudQ?si=uNN8UCBc2EScZ5cV

Also, watching them remove the cover I guess it has to slide out to fall off. Anybody ever secure one with glue?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#26]
My local FFL proprietor just told me that his aunt had one and the cover flew off three times before she got rid of the gun. At the same time I just found this interesting accessory. If I’m not mistaken, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but the original cover is rubber? Maybe this thing will be more secure and you can operate left-handed. Looks like a potential game changer.

https://youtu.be/XbnAogMWudQ?si=uNN8UCBc2EScZ5cV

Also, watching them remove the cover I guess it has to slide out to fall off. Anybody ever secure one with glue?
View Quote

Um, it connects/secures the same way that the normal port cover does, which according to you is terrible and will fall off immediately.

Wait....if you didn't know it has to slide out COMPLETELY to fall out...sigh, never mind, this is like trying to explain option time decay to someone who doesn't understand why milk goes bad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#27]

Um, it connects/secures the same way that the normal port cover does, which according to you is terrible and will fall off immediately.

Wait....if you didn't know it has to slide out COMPLETELY to fall out...sigh, never mind, this is like trying to explain option time decay to someone who doesn't understand why milk goes bad.
View Quote

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but it looks like multiple people have reported failures of parts of the Aug falling off after a first set of denials in this thread.  Trying to disuade his concern by attacking him asking questions only hurts your credibility as a source of information on the Aug.

Something is falling off the gun by multiple people, enough for multiple people to want to bubba fix/tape things down as the oem design wasn't sufficient. The Aug has a design issue that appears to not have been resolved for decades.

The good news is it doesn't seem to affect the function of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

It’s less pliable, my dear milkman.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#29]
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but it looks like multiple people have reported failures of parts of the Aug falling off after a first set of denials in this thread.  Trying to disuade his concern by attacking him asking questions only hurts your credibility as a source of information on the Aug.

Something is falling off the gun by multiple people, enough for multiple people to want to bubba fix/tape things down as the oem design wasn't sufficient. The Aug has a design issue that appears to not have been resolved for decades.

View Quote

Thank you. I will say before some asshole does that this is a more recent problem because older generations did not have this cover. The bracket CAN fall in and jam up the bolt according to some other threads.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#30]

Thank you. I will say before some asshole does that this is a more recent problem because older generations did not have this cover. The bracket CAN fall in and jam up the bolt according to some other threads.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

My own theory is that it's a tolerance issue, and the carrier can at times strike the metal bracket part, that it runs past at high speed.  Pretty sure that's what's happening to mine at least.  Other failure mode I suppose is the plastic part slides off a bit, exasperating that.   The older the gun or the more times you manipulate the part, the worse it will get.  That's my theory at least.  As noted in this thread, this didn't used to be a problem because they didn't use to have the stupid useless thing at all.  I would much rather an older gen-stock that was just smooth there, and almost bought one of those kits to just just modify an older beater military stock to work.  But getting the cross pin to fit looked like a PITA.   Failing that, I might just long-term replace mine with clear tape, but I'm still trying to figure out how to best do that tastefully.  Will want to cover up the sticky side or it'll gunk up instantly.. hmm...
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Huh? Since when did older versions not have not have an ejection port cover? That's been part of the design since the gun was made in the 70s. How else would it be possible to swap in a left handed bolt?
My AUG is one of the oldest versions around (made in the 80s) and it has the cover

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Huh? Since when did older versions not have not have an ejection port cover? That's been part of the design since the gun was made in the 70s. How else would it be possible to swap in a left handed bolt?
My AUG is one of the oldest versions around (made in the 80s) and it has the cover

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51021791906_02c1c75328_o.jpg

View Quote

Donno, you tell me:

Maybe it's just the military ones.  Donno.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Donno, you tell me:

https://sallyantiques.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/JA_661566895-Steyr-AUG-Austrian-Assault-Rifle-1-2048x1037.jpg

View Quote

I think that's one of the full auto military stocks from Malaysia maybe. Maybe they specified no left hand swap capability?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#34]

I think that's one of the full auto military stocks from Malaysia maybe. Maybe they specified no left hand swap capability?
View All Quotes

Donno, you tell me:

https://sallyantiques.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/JA_661566895-Steyr-AUG-Austrian-Assault-Rifle-1-2048x1037.jpg

Here's a photo of the spec-forces model:

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/rifles/Steyr-Mannlicher-AUG-A3-M1-SA-semi-automatic-rifle-distribution-USA/
who credit it as a Steyr-Mannlicker official photo.  Though there's no wear on it, so not sure if that's really real.

Here's a European Antique site one though, that says it's Austrian

https://sallyantiques.co.uk/product/steyr-aug-austrian-assault-rifle-deactivated/
Who are saying it's Austrian.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#35]
it's not by age then. I guess military customers who don't train left handed can specify if they don't want that functionality
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#36]
it's not by age then. I guess military customers who don't train left handed can specify if they don't want that functionality
View Quote

Guess so.  It's the real reason I didn't buy a cheap Malaysian demil kit.  I was going to save the BCG and gas parts and pull the port cover to replace my dissapointing Steyr factory one that's failing now - only to discover after a little more looking, they don't even have port covers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#37]
My 16 inch mud port cover fell off in 12 rounds sighting it in.

Bought it during the PSA AUGust sale.
Couldn't find it ordered another for 25 bux from steyr USA took 3 calls since 1st two went to VM with no return call back.
I just covered it with tan masking tape while I waited for the new cover to come in.

No shit two days after the reorder came in I found it.

My 40th anny STG-77 is swapped to lefty and since bought in 2017 and swapped cover has never fallen off.

Guess I have a spare now that I found the one that fell off in less then 1/2 a mag.

I happen to like both my AUG's  one left handed and one right handed.
only upgrades I've done are trigger tamers for the FCG and  corvus  defensio brass deflectors.
And a suppressor gas plug.

A lot of hype and mis-info surrounds these guns.

Not sure if it's spread buy the owners to keep people away from them, or just parrots repeating bad info written by clueless non owners.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#38]

Failing that, I might just long-term replace mine with clear tape, but I'm still trying to figure out how to best do that tastefully.  Will want to cover up the sticky side or it'll gunk up instantly.. hmm...
View Quote

Cut a port size piece, and stick it to itself, sticky side to sticky side.

ETA: cut a slightly over port size piece.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#39]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51021791906_02c1c75328_o.jpg

View Quote

I stand corrected. Obviously I did not think they WERE swappable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Guess so.  It's the real reason I didn't buy a cheap Malaysian demil kit.  I was going to save the BCG and gas parts and pull the port cover to replace my dissapointing Steyr factory one that's failing now - only to discover after a little more looking, they don't even have port covers.
View Quote

Failing how?
I don’t even understand why they bother making them reversible if a simple, deflector facilitates left-hand use.
Which, by the way, should just be molded into the stock
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Failing how?
I don’t even understand why they bother making them reversible if a simple, deflector facilitates left-hand use.
Which, by the way, should just be molded into the stock
View Quote

Because the right hand case deflector rubs into my left cheek.
Yes when you swap sides and not ports the deflector is right up on your cheek if you want to use the AUG 3x factory optic that is.
Tried a mantacore deflector 1st that was not acceptable at all.
It's also a lot louder with the port right in front of your  cheek/face when swapping sides.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought some malayan kits for spare parts, never noticed they were RHD until this thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#43]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
My 16 inch mud port cover fell off in 12 rounds sighting it in.

Bought it during the PSA AUGust sale.
Couldn't find it ordered another for 25 bux from steyr USA took 3 calls since 1st two went to VM with no return call back.
I just covered it with tan masking tape while I waited for the new cover to come in.

No shit two days after the reorder came in I found it.

My 40th anny STG-77 is swapped to lefty and since bought in 2017 and swapped cover has never fallen off.

Guess I have a spare now that I found the one that fell off in less then 1/2 a mag.

I happen to like both my AUG's  one left handed and one right handed.
only upgrades I've done are trigger tamers for the FCG and  corvus  defensio brass deflectors.
And a suppressor gas plug.

A lot of hype and mis-info surrounds these guns.

Not sure if it's spread buy the owners to keep people away from them, or just parrots repeating bad info written by clueless non owners.

View Quote

You got a spare complete port cover for $25 delivered?  That was very much not my conversation with Steyr.  They wanted me to buy both parts, plus charge a shipping fee that wasn't super cheap. It came out just high enough to irk me.  Amd a lot more than $25
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#44]

You got a spare complete port cover for $25 delivered?  That was very much not my conversation with Steyr.  They wanted me to buy both parts, plus charge a shipping fee that wasn't super cheap. It came out just high enough to irk me.  Amd a lot more than $25
View Quote

Yes I got the plastic cover and the metal clip dealy thing in other words just poped it on with a complete replacement af is I was just swaping the cover from right to left.

Yes 25 shipped.

I wasn't to happy about having to pay for a cover that only lasted 12 rounds straight out of the box  and told them that.

Used my 5 year old 40th anny gun to back up the claim that the cover should not just fall off from the factory since that one HAS been swaped over and is still on the gun a few thousand rounds and years later.

@lazyengineer did you call steyr USA in Alabama?
That was who I delt with.

Having to pay for something that wasn't installed right @ the factory kinda pissed me off at the time.

Finding the original made up for that since it seems the only place to get a new complete port cover is Steyr.

I did look while I waited on the two call backs I never got just to see what ball park cost might be or if there was a better  aftermarket made cover.

Pro tip: there isn't a aftermarket cover.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#46]
My buddies AUG had this issue. He is trying to get steyr to send him a replacement part for free since he never removed it or anything beforehand. He said their customer service sucks and rarely responds. Today he brought it over we took it to my bubba gunsmith lab in the basement. Where I’ve done other bubba projects like melding parts from cut up g3sg1 stocks with an American produced standard rear stock to make a new g3sg1 adjustable stock. Installing a paddle mag release on my ptr91. Or my semi auto mk4 sten that never got finished because Covid rolled in and made barrel’s impossible to find when I got to that step and I forgot it was down there till today when I showed him .

Long story short a BFH, a dremel, brass stock, a chisel and a pair of vices fixed it pretty easy. Cut the brass stock with the dremel to stick under the lower of the 2 rails which was undamaged so I wouldn’t accidentally bent it. Used the Vice to hold the piece then eyeballed bending the whole piece flat again. It was bent along it’s length from falling in the action and getting munched on I presume as well as bending the rails that hold the plastic insert in. Then locked it horizontal and flat in the Vice. Slid in the brass protective piece. Stuck the chisel blade under the bent rail leveraging it against the good rail so the chisel blade acted like an ersatz anvil on the underside of the affected rail, a couple love taps with the bfh the rail was back to shape and correct angle and we reinstalled it. Cycled the action after covering the hot spot the internal bracket rubbed finish off the carrier with prior to failing with a dry erase marker. Metal piece was still shiny afterwards so I think we fixed it. Still think it’s kinda a dumb design for that part even if it’s not that hard to fix. Took maybe 15 minutes to fix and most of that was making a plan and figuring out where the relevant tools were. Makes me want to take apart the port cover on one of tavors to see how they designed it in contrast to the Austrians.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:43:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#47]
Originally Posted By Kali_Refugee:
My buddies AUG had this issue. He is trying to get steyr to send him a replacement part for free since he never removed it or anything beforehand. He said their customer service sucks and rarely responds. Today he brought it over we took it to my bubba gunsmith lab in the basement. Where I’ve done other bubba projects like melding parts from cut up g3sg1 stocks with an American produced standard rear stock to make a new g3sg1 adjustable stock. Installing a paddle mag release on my ptr91. Or my semi auto mk4 sten that never got finished because Covid rolled in and made barrel’s impossible to find when I got to that step and I forgot it was down there till today when I showed him .

Long story short a BFH, a dremel, brass stock, a chisel and a pair of vices fixed it pretty easy. Cut the brass stock with the dremel to stick under the lower of the 2 rails which was undamaged so I wouldn’t accidentally bent it. Used the Vice to hold the piece then eyeballed bending the whole piece flat again. It was bent along it’s length from falling in the action and getting munched on I presume as well as bending the rails that hold the plastic insert in. Then locked it horizontal and flat in the Vice. Slid in the brass protective piece. Stuck the chisel blade under the bent rail leveraging it against the good rail so the chisel blade acted like an ersatz anvil on the underside of the affected rail, a couple love taps with the bfh the rail was back to shape and correct angle and we reinstalled it. Cycled the action after covering the hot spot the internal bracket rubbed finish off the carrier with prior to failing with a dry erase marker. Metal piece was still shiny afterwards so I think we fixed it. Still think it’s kinda a dumb design for that part even if it’s not that hard to fix. Took maybe 15 minutes to fix and most of that was making a plan and figuring out where the relevant tools were. Makes me want to take apart the port cover on one of tavors to see how they designed it in contrast to the Austrians.
View Quote

Well that's weird - I had BS called on me above, that Steyr's customer service was reasonable and the price was completely fair.  

Look how many people in this thread are experiencing issue on this.  This is a design defect.   If 90% of users don't experience the failure in question, but 10% do - that's a design defect.  Don't get me wrong, the AUG is an awesome gun, and I actually love mine.  But this feature completely sucks, is poorly done (for more than just me, apparently), and I wish wasn't there at all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Well that's weird - I had BS called on me above, that Steyr's customer service was reasonable and the price was completely fair.  

Look how many people in this thread are experiencing issue on this.  This is a design defect.   If 90% of users don't experience the failure in question, but 10% do - that's a design defect.  Don't get me wrong, the AUG is an awesome gun, and I actually love mine.  But this feature completely sucks, is poorly done (for more than just me, apparently), and I wish wasn't there at all.
View Quote

He said they told him like $15 for the replacement. I wonder if it’s just random number pulled out of a hat given the various numbers listed in this thread. I don’t think it’s an unfixable feature just poorly designed. Never heard of one of the tavor port covers doing that or people saying make sure you face doesn’t move horizontally under recoil to move the plate either like this thread. AUG is a slick gun and I love most of its design. Previously when I owned a MSAR only parts I didn’t like were the cross bolt safety and foregrip. I like traditional handguards better and lever safety’s those are just personal preferences and not design failures though. But that port cover design is kinda dumb. It also comes off in the direction of force your face will apply on it from recoil which seems…. ill advised. MSARs port covers were a completely different design with just a plastic piece no metal bracket where you had to lift and bend both wings of the plastic then rotate to remove it so it never shifted. Today was the first time I’d played with the port cover parts from a legit AUG.

I bet they could design an all polymer one that locks in a similar way. If my cad skills were better I’d 3d print prototypes of what I have in mind and test em on his gun. But my self taught tinker cad skills are not too advanced. I developed a hybrid material take on the old British pritchet paper cartridges that meet N-SSA rules for my blackpowder competitive shooting. But nothing more advanced that that… and a lubisizer, and squeeze opening self sealing powder tubes for my repro colts. But those are all kinda simple.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#49]

He said they told him like $15 for the replacement. I wonder if it’s just random number pulled out of a hat given the various numbers listed in this thread. I don’t think it’s an unfixable feature just poorly designed. Never heard of one of the tavor port covers doing that or people saying make sure you face doesn’t move horizontally under recoil to move the plate either like this thread. AUG is a slick gun and I love most of its design. Previously when I owned a MSAR only parts I didn’t like were the cross bolt safety and foregrip. I like traditional handguards better and lever safety’s those are just personal preferences and not design failures though. But that port cover design is kinda dumb. It also comes off in the direction of force your face will apply on it from recoil which seems…. ill advised. MSARs port covers were a completely different design with just a plastic piece no metal bracket where you had to lift and bend both wings of the plastic then rotate to remove it so it never shifted. Today was the first time I’d played with the port cover parts from a legit AUG.

I bet they could design an all polymer one that locks in a similar way. If my cad skills were better I’d 3d print prototypes of what I have in mind and test em on his gun. But my self taught tinker cad skills are not too advanced. I developed a hybrid material take on the old British pritchet paper cartridges that meet N-SSA rules for my blackpowder competitive shooting. But nothing more advanced that that… and a lubisizer, and squeeze opening self sealing powder tubes for my repro colts. But those are all kinda simple.
View All Quotes

Yea, kind of a random number generator there.  Here's what they quotded me.

We have the black external ejection lid cover [mine is green] and the inner metal retaining piece. Pricing follows:

Part number 1200060009

Black ejection lid cover for Steyr AUG

Unit price - $15.00 + shipping

Par number 1200060010

Metal retainer for ejection lid cover – Steyr AUG

Unit price - $22.00 + shipping

So $37.00 for the parts, plus shipping (and tax). Steyr Shipping to me is $16.  Plus Texas taxes (for an item that should have no taxes, because it should be F'ing Free).

So we're at $57.51; for a plastic dust cover they didn't do right.  (I'll go update my number, it was from memory)
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#50]
if possible, can someone post pics of the inside of the ejection port cover and both sides of the retainer plate? i'd like to compare them to those on my 900 series AUG and google isn't helping
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Port cover falling off?? (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top