Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2024 8:47:27 PM EDT
Looking for a handheld thermal. The Telos XL50 is the one I keep coming back to. It's a newer model so not a ton of info out there.

Should I be considering any other makes/models?

Link Posted: 7/16/2024 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine.  I bought it with the LRF because the wife thought she's like it, but we hardly every use that feature.

It is heavy and the eye piece is annoying in that you can't take it off.

In the southeast CO area, shoot me a message.  I'd let you look at it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the offer.
I am in the northern front range, way too far from you.
Where did you buy yours and what did you pay?
Looks like $4500 is the going rate currently.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Why handheld?  I have a pulsar thermion 2 xp50 pro with ADM QD mounts, use it on 3 different rifles and use it as a handheld most of the time.  Takes about 5 seconds to attach to the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 10:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mpatch] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Why handheld?  I have a pulsar thermion 2 xp50 pro with ADM QD mounts, use it on 3 different rifles and use it as a handheld most of the time.  Takes about 5 seconds to attach to the rifle.
View Quote
The XL has a higher resolution sensor. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.
They do make a XL version of the Thermion but it's $8k.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/products/thermion-2-lrf-xl50-1-75-14x-thermal-rifle-scope
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like Midway is the only place that has it in stock. Anybody have a discount code for them? Any other vendors I should look at?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#6]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
Looking for a handheld thermal. The Telos XL50 is the one I keep coming back to. It's a newer model so not a ton of info out there.

Should I be considering any other makes/models?
View Quote
I hope to test a Telos XL50 very soon. They were only available in Europe and are just now making their way to the US. As far as other models, it depends. Give me a list of your needs and requirements and budget. Some considerations include:

Typical usage (coyotes, hogs, surveillance, etc)
PID Range Need
FOV Needs
Weight
Ability to Use As a Scope and Scanner
Maximum runtime needs
Budget

to name a few items that can help get us started.

There are some compact thermal scopes that are small enough to be used effectively as scanners such as Hogsters, Yoters, Rattlers, NOXs, etc. However, for use as a scanner a lot, I would not personally use larger scopes like Thermions or Halos, etc. Can they be used in a pinch, yes, but how many people walk around with daytime rifles scopes and use them as handheld scanners? Their shape makes them awkward to use as scanners. You don't have to believe me, but I harvested 552 coyotes in 48 nights of hunting last hunting season. I am not a casual user of thermals. One of my roles is to test thermals so feel free to start a PM with me if you wish to drill down into this farther as I have used and tested lots of different brands and models.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
I hope to test a Telos XL50 very soon. They were only available in Europe and are just now making their way to the US. As far as other models, it depends. Give me a list of your needs and requirements and budget. Some considerations include:

Typical usage (coyotes, hogs, surveillance, etc)
PID Range Need
FOV Needs
Weight
Ability to Use As a Scope and Scanner
Maximum runtime needs
Budget

to name a few items that can help get us started.

There are some compact thermal scopes that are small enough to be used effectively as scanners such as Hogsters, Yoters, Rattlers, NOXs, etc. However, for use as a scanner a lot, I would not personally use larger scopes like Thermions or Halos, etc. Can they be used in a pinch, yes, but how many people walk around with daytime rifles scopes and use them as handheld scanners? Their shape makes them awkward to use as scanners. You don't have to believe me, but I harvested 552 coyotes in 48 nights of hunting last hunting season. I am not a casual user of thermals. One of my roles is to test thermals so feel free to start a PM with me if you wish to drill down into this farther as I have used and tested lots of different brands and models.
View Quote
No idea honestly. Budget around 5000 or less.
I don't hunt anymore so the scope part isn't crucial.
I sold a few toys and thermal is some thing I've always wanted

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
Thanks for the offer.
I am in the northern front range, way too far from you.
Where did you buy yours and what did you pay?
Looks like $4500 is the going rate currently.
View Quote

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I also read your post wrong.  I have the XP50, not the XL.

I'd buy from here so you get the free battery.

https://thermalopticsplus.com/collections/pulsar-monocular
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top