Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2013 6:00:49 PM EDT
Got my new inline out to sight in today. It was my first time ever shooting an inline so it was all new to me. I got it zeroed at 50 yrds in a rest. Then shot the rest of the shots off hand standing as this is how I will be hunting with it. Very pleased with how accurate it is, I need to do my part as it was dead on at 50yrds and 100yrds in the clamp. The best I could muster off hand standing was still good enough to deer hunt with. The top two targets were shot offhand standing at 100 yrds. The middle and bottom two targets were shot at 50 yrds standing offhand, the bottom left bullseye was my zero shot. I was using 100 grains of triple 7 pellets with a 250 grn horandy sst red tip sabot with a winchester 209 shotgun primer.

100 yrd range

tried to get a view of the scope

targets
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent, I am contemplating picking up an Optima this year.  

Did that scope come in a package deal, or is it a separate buy?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
No the scope was added after I bought the gun. I wanted the iron sights for close shots. I have a set of see through scope rings on it, with fiber optic sights. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the cva for the price. Went out twice for late season muzzle with it but due to sub zero temps didn't see much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on where you are in Ohio we could set up a range day if you want to try mine out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm north of Dayton and appreciate the offer, but my buddy just got one for Christmas and let me shoot it a bit.   His has the thumbhole camo stock and stainless barrel.  That's why I was leaning toward the Optima.  That and the fact you can buy extra breech plugs to use loose powder like Blackhorn 209.  

Your post just added confirmation that the Optima will be my next muzzleloader.  Looks great, and good luck hunting through the next year.  I had no luck during muzzleloader season either.  Went over to Muskingum County, it was like a ghost town.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked at the acura model with the thumbhole stock and "better" barrel I did not like the stock it was kinda tight on my hand. I figure with a heavy pair of gloves on it would have not worked at all. So I went with the standard stock in camo/stainless I read up on the accuracy between the two models and it was not that big of a difference. I also picked mine up for $289 new and the acura model was well over $100 more. They are good guns you will not be let down with it.

here was what I bought to get started.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great, I am not a big fan of the thumbhole stocks myself due to the fact that I end up hunting in cold weather a lot.  I guess its time to start shopping around.  This will be my third muzzleloader, and my second inline.  

$289 is a good deal for a gun like this.  How are those saboted rounds doing for you?  I used them for awhile, but have since moved to unsaboted bullets.  The Hornady FPB bullets have worked well in my current inline.  They load and clean so much easier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
They are good as far as accuracy but you need to clean every other shot or they are a giant pain to load. I have not tried any non sabot bullets yet, I may give them a try and see how they shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top