Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 5 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Another Form 1 update.  

Well, I had a second Form 1 sent back for exact barrel length and overall length.

The first one the examiner called and let me fax her a letter.  This one she was not so nice and
sent it all back to me for correction directly on the form.

It appears that "under 16" just isn't going to cut it any longer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By TexasSIG:
It appears that "under 16" just isn't going to cut it any longer.

I truly do not understand it, but it worked for me less than a month ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By bushgun:
Thanks.  The shortest I ever plan to go would be 7.5 inches.  Does anyone have the OAL with the stock extended with a 7.5 inch barrel?

I emailed you as well but I'll post it here:  7.5" bbl with a phantom attached measures 24.25" OAL retracted and 28" OAL extended with an M4 6 position stock.

HTH

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
JTW2, thanks for the reply.  Which length did you go with on your form?  That is a nice looking SBR by the way.

Additional advice needed:  Upon completing my form, I realized there is no section to list your DOB and SSN.  Are these items not required on this form?  I understand they are probably listed on your fingerprint cards, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a happy update on my situation. They cashed my two checks. BTW, on my forms I used 7-15 inches for the barrel length, and whatever the corresponding overall length would be for the 7-inch barrel. It hasn't been rejected yet, so fingers are crossed...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know why with what everyone else is saying but my form says
< 16" for bbl length and < 26" for over all length.  Passed just fine.   Maybe my examiner didn't know what the less than sign looks like?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
So if I put 7.5" for bbl length and 22" for overall length I should be good to go if I want to run a 10.5" barrel, right?  By the sounds of it I should put down the shortest possible length and not worry about a range, right?

Thx
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:23:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_SBR] [#9]
On mine I typed "Less than 16" and "Less than 26".  Worked for me last year.  

They may not know what the < or > mean.  

Colt_SBR    

Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Colt_SBR:
On mine I typed "Less than 16" and "Less than 26".  Worked for me last year.  

They may not know what the < or > mean.  

Colt_SBR    

Things seem to have changed since then.  I did two last year with the "less thans" but others have been rejected lately.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I plan on building a 11.5''. Should I just put that or should I put 7.5'' just incase I decide to do something else?

What if the OAL is a little off? Would be be ok as long as it is listed as shorter than it actually is? Say I put 24'' OAL and its actually 25-26''. Is that ok?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
My form 1 SBR was just approved on June 2nd using less than 16" BBL and less than 26" OAL, I was very relieved after hearing about the ones sent back for not having exact lengths.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I've decided that I'd be happy with a .223 with an 11.5" barrel. It would've been neat to be able to switch to 9mm, but I don't know if I'll end up with one of those picky examiners, so I'll just avoid the hassle.

My Q is this: Colt's (the only manufacturer who lists dimensions for a complete 11.5" carbine) lists the commando's dimensions as: 11.5" bbl, 30" overall length with stock extended. This is what I entered on my form one. Anyone see any probs with that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My 16" telestock A2 Flash Bushy measures 31" collapsed, disregarding the A2 flash hider length.  If I go to an 11.5" barrel, then it will be 26.5", again collpsed.  Even if I go with a 10" barrel, the gun is still 25" long, collapsed.  Since the feds go with the extended stock measurement, there is no way this gun is under 26" OAL.

But, I'm going to use the collapsed length on my F1 because the regs say that the extended length is for a collpasilbe stock that isn't readily removable.  But heck, the telestock comes off easy as pie.  Therefore, I reason that the length must be measured from the back of the buffer tube to the tip of the barrel, without flash hider.

So, I put down a 10" barrel (that gives an AOL of 25"), but I'm using 24" to be on the safe side.  As soon as I get the prints (tomorrow) it's off in the mail.

WTF, could this be any less clear?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]
For my Bushy, they list the retracted length as 31.75" with a 16" barrel. I'm probably going with an 11.5" barrel, which would put the overall length at 27.25". Since I listed my shortest possible barrel length to be 7", I listed the overall length to be 22.75". I'm assuming they want to know the shortest possible length that it will be.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ss1092] [#17]
I want to make sure I understand something correctly before I jump into the SBR scheme.

I want to have a semi MP5K look alike.

I can purchase a copy of a Sp89 (such as those made by Special Weapons and Bobcat Weapons). Because the Brady was lifted, this gun does not have to retain it's "post-ban" status after I get my stamp back, correct?

Which means I can have a folding stock, k grip, and a flash suppressor.

Is this correct?
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By raising_arizona:
For my Bushy, they list the retracted length as 31.75" with a 16" barrel. I'm probably going with an 11.5" barrel, which would put the overall length at 27.25". Since I listed my shortest possible barrel length to be 7", I listed the overall length to be 22.75". I'm assuming they want to know the shortest possible length that it will be.

Remember to subtract 0.75" from the numbers because the flash hider does not count in barrel length or OAL.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
A couple of quick questions before my stuff goes in the mail;

1.  Is this the address I send my paperwork to?

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
National Firearms Act Branch
650 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Room 5303
Washington, DC 20226

2.  Do I need to attach my check to the forms in any way?  Maybe via paper clip?
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By M4arc:

Room 5303
Washington, DC 20226

2.  Do I need to attach my check to the forms in any way?  Maybe via paper clip?

I didn't specify a room, but that's the address I used. I also attached everything with a paper clip.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By M4arc:

Room 5303
Washington, DC 20226

I didn't specify a room, but that's the address I used. I also attached everything with a paper clip.

Thank you, I'm writing my check out now and heading to the PO!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Danner130:

For my Bushy, they list the retracted length as 31.75" with a 16" barrel. I'm probably going with an 11.5" barrel, which would put the overall length at 27.25". Since I listed my shortest possible barrel length to be 7", I listed the overall length to be 22.75". I'm assuming they want to know the shortest possible length that it will be. hr

Remember to subtract 0.75" from the numbers because the flash hider does not count in barrel length or OAL.

OK. Maybe the third edit will be the charm.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 12:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raising_arizona] [#23]

Originally Posted By Danner130:

For my Bushy, they list the retracted length as 31.75" with a 16" barrel. I'm probably going with an 11.5" barrel, which would put the overall length at 27.25". Since I listed my shortest possible barrel length to be 7", I listed the overall length to be 22.75". I'm assuming they want to know the shortest possible length that it will be. hr

Damn, you're right. I didn't realize that. So, this monring I busted out the calipers and measured from the end of the flash hider to the end of the barrel and got approximately 1.25" (A2 flash hider). That means my overall length not including flash hider is 31.25" with a 16" barrel. With a 7" barrel, my OAL is then 22.25". (does that sound right?)

I originally put 22.5" on my form, so I guess I'll be giving them a call (I have to change my address anyway) hey

PS Thanks for the heads up Danner.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I just wanted to say thanks for the thread and thanks to mark5pt56 & va_dinger for helping me with my paperwork!  I sent everything off to the ATF this morning

I guess the wait begins now
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]
M4arc,

Good luck!  Mine's been pending since 4/28.  If you get yours first I'm gonna cry. ;)
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Where can I find out how to setup a corporation?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By TheSaint2004:
Where can I find out how to setup a corporation?  Thanks.

Here in Texas, everything you need to know is at the Secretary fo State's website.  Since corporation formation is so common, I'd be willing to bet there is a similar site in Massachusetts.  I know it's a communist state, but I'm pretty sure they still allow people to form corporations  Or, have they taken that right away too

Sorry, [/rant mode off]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
What did you guys use as proof of citizenship?  I asked my CLEO and have called the BATF only to get the run around and pushed from one person to the next without a solution.  Please help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
You don't have to prove that you are a citizen, you just have to fill out the form certifying that you are a citizen (do you have a form).
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I filled out the Form1 in duplicate, photos, fingerprints, etc, and my CLEO told me I have to have a proof of citizenship form which struck me as somewhat funny.  I asked if a copy of passport, birth cert, etc would suffice and was told there is a specific form for it.  I have no clue.  I called the local ATF office but they were all in Orlando for some meeting.  Maybe my CLEO is clueless?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 11:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fq1234] [#31]

Originally Posted By Twitchy:
I filled out the Form1 in duplicate, photos, fingerprints, etc, and my CLEO told me I have to have a proof of citizenship form which struck me as somewhat funny.  I asked if a copy of passport, birth cert, etc would suffice and was told there is a specific form for it.  I have no clue.  I called the local ATF office but they were all in Orlando for some meeting.  Maybe my CLEO is clueless?

You can print the form here (pdf):
click here
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
TAG
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
What form do I need to be able to transport my SBR over state lines?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 11:01:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fq1234] [#34]

get it here
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By fq1234:

get it here

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't really know if this has been answered already. But after the AWB sunset can a post ban lower be registered as an SBR?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Vinesr6:
Don't really know if this has been answered already. But after the AWB sunset can a post ban lower be registered as an SBR?

Thanks...

Yes...I could before also, it just had to be ban compliant.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]
thanks...the long wait starts Monday
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#39]
maybe a stupid-er question. in ala. we can't have sbr, which is a rifle or a firearm made from a rifle with a barrel lenght of less than 16", iirc.  so, is a pistol(ie originally made from pistol) with a stock a sbr, or an aow, or an ??? ?  i know it sounds kinda stupid, but would there be a difference, or is it the same regardless of the starting point?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By blcouch:
so, is a pistol(ie originally made from pistol) with a stock a sbr, or an aow, or an ?

A pistol with a stock is an SBR.  An AOW may not have a stock on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 10:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSaint2004] [#41]
Question about carring an SBR over state lines.   Is their a time restriction on when you can transport it?  Because I travel into New Hampshire from MA to shot several time a month and spend most of my summers their.  Can I make it open ended so I can transport back and forth whenever I want?

ETA: In section 3 of the form --FROM July 2nd, 2005   TO  July 2nd, 2100
Could you do that?

Also do you have to fill out the form if the SBR lower has a 24 inch upper attached?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
5320.20 is good for 1 year
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#43]
ok - this is a lazy question.

I own a couple LLCs and want to go that route.

Is there anyone who has recently applied and BEEN APPROVED who would be willing to fax me a copy of their forms filled out (obviously you can scratch out EIN etc)

I would be happy pay the fax time and cost of doing this.  I just don't want to screw it up.

I am interested in making my RRA lower into and SBR with both 9mm and .223/5.56

Thank you in advance for any help.

I would also be happy to make my forms - if they approve - into a library document for other to use.  Finally - Also - IF you are interested in setting up an LLC - I can walk you through this process very quickly (except for your personal tax setup)

Thanks,

Johney
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Gartchen:
ok - this is a lazy question.

I own a couple LLCs and want to go that route.

Is there anyone who has recently applied and BEEN APPROVED who would be willing to fax me a copy of their forms filled out (obviously you can scratch out EIN etc)

I would be happy pay the fax time and cost of doing this.  I just don't want to screw it up.

I am interested in making my RRA lower into and SBR with both 9mm and .223/5.56

Thank you in advance for any help.

I would also be happy to make my forms - if they approve - into a library document for other to use.  Finally - Also - IF you are interested in setting up an LLC - I can walk you through this process very quickly (except for your personal tax setup)

Thanks,

Johney

I doubt that anyone will want to fax a copy already filled out, the form will have all their personel info on it as well as the serial number to their rifle.  It is very easy to fill out the forms, I just got fingerprinted and LEO sign off.  Just follow the links on the first page it walks you right through it.  Since you are going corp. you just select the corp. block instead of the individual block.  Plus, you will not need LEO sign off and fingerprints (as i understand it).  I didn't research the corp. route so i'm more familar with the individual.  Read this thread it will make it easy.

Thanks to Quarterbore and everyone on this thread, my paperwork is going in the mail soon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah - you're  right on the privacy and details.  I guess I was just looking for a Form that had been approved with the notes filled in.  Heck you could make up all that information - John Doe Serial # xxxx  etc.

I filled mine out today and am going to mail it off next week either way.  If it works - I will make it into a generic to share.

I know I know - I am just being lazy!    

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Yeah - you're  right on the privacy and details.  I guess I was just looking for a Form that had been approved with the notes filled in.  Heck you could make up all that information - John Doe Serial # xxxx  etc.

I filled mine out today and am going to mail it off next week either way.  If it works - I will make it into a generic to share.

I know I know - I am just being lazy!    

Thanks

Not Mine , it was in another thread.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Mr Burnes [  egggggggggggggcelllent  ]  Mr. Burnes.

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Mr Burnes [  egggggggggggggcelllent  ]  Mr. Burnes.

Thank you very much!

My PayPal account is ...
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Another quick question.

Does the barrel length and OAL have to be exact?
Ex: I write 14.5" and end up putting a 7" barrel on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By TheSaint2004:
Another quick question.

Does the barrel length and OAL have to be exact?
Ex: I write 14.5" and end up putting a 7" barrel on it.

I believe it is probably better to put the smallest length you will use.  Legally, I don't think it really matters, but it might help if every confronted by a LEO and you present your paperwork.
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 5 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top