Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2024 7:40:52 PM EDT
I’m seeing it on sale today, is it worth getting-can’t afford a pvs 14 and most reviews are all over -please advise as a brother needs to know!
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Use your search..whole big thread on it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I read it, didn’t really get a feeling one way or another.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I like mine, no complaints.
All I got
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Would an Illuminator be a must? If so what type
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:12:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like mine, even after using a PVS-14. Both have their pros and cons, but the Aurora works better for me.

Pros:
-Able to see a wider slice of the IR spectrum
-Wider color palette
-Video and picture recording
-No worries about white light exposure without autogating- it is a camera, after all
-Works the same as an image intensifying device with supplemental illumination
-No dead spots or "fuzz" on the lens

Cons:
-It's Gen. 2.5, maybe bordering Gen. 3 night vision; it's not the latest filmless, white phospor -14 tube. It will be grainier, but not annoyingly so
-Battery life is significantly less than a PVS, but that's not a huge deal and not at all in surmountable (battery pack as your helmet counterweight)
-Even after selecting the frame rate, there is some slight lag. My thermal does the same, so I don't even register it.
-Not sure if there are options to overlay thermal onto the image

The first two pros are not to be underestimated.

I use mine in conjunction with thermal and I don't feel like an image intensifying device is going to help me. I would rather spend the money to get more and better thermal options (clip on). I also live in the boonies where every night has at least some celestial illumination to allow me to walk unaided.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By p-joseph:
Would an Illuminator be a must? If so what type
View Quote

I use a Steiner Tor for the IR laser and an InForce WMLx White/IR for illumination. Works extremely well, and I can use both options simultaneously or individually. Supplemental illumination is a must for digital or image intensification.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info this helps!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 3:20:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#8]
I have a Pro and gen3+, they are both great.

edited to add: I am biased tho. I make the SiOnyx Kiloohm helmet mounts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The Aurora's great as a camera. I'm a little more skeptical of it as a replacement for proper analog night vision. If it's really dark out (versus suburban backyard), it's not going to do anything without illumination. It is maybe usable as a clip-on solution in certain situations. I'd legitimately take a gen2 PVS-7 over the Aurora for a helmet-mount solution, though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
at what price? I had a pair of OG green sionyx helmet mounted and while in the desert in cant walk dark, yeah they mainly needed illumination. if there was ANY light they worked great. with very hard to see 950nm IR illumination they rocked. can see like day time. they are super sensitive to IR more than even regular nods. and they work well with higher NM IR light that starts to get dimmer for normal nods. if you can get 1000+ nm IR light its hard for military nods to even see it and still works great with sionyx. bottom line, is it a 1:1 replacement for $3000+ nods? no. does it let you see in the dark better than someone without nods? heck yeah. does it do it for like $400? yup.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By erwos:
The Aurora's great as a camera. I'm a little more skeptical of it as a replacement for proper analog night vision. If it's really dark out (versus suburban backyard), it's not going to do anything without illumination. It is maybe usable as a clip-on solution in certain situations. I'd legitimately take a gen2 PVS-7 over the Aurora for a helmet-mount solution, though.
View Quote

Compared to my brother's Gen 3 PVS, I'd guess you're looking at a 8-10% reduction in sensitivity. Realistically, if the Sionyx needs illumination, so does a PVS, plus the Sionyx can detect a broader spectrum of IR.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#12]
I like mine.  I did a helmet and mono setup and it works well.  It's fun for hunting and playing around.  It does really well with some ir support.  People want to compare it to 6k units but it isn't trying to be that.  I think I have 1200 bucks in my whole setup.  Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lew:
Compared to my brother's Gen 3 PVS, I'd guess you're looking at a 8-10% reduction in sensitivity. Realistically, if the Sionyx needs illumination, so does a PVS, plus the Sionyx can detect a broader spectrum of IR.
View Quote

I've got an Omni 8 RNVG setup and a Sionyx Aurora, and the RNVG is waaaaaaaaay more sensitive, and can function far better without additional IR illumination. It's not even close. The Pro is a little better, but it's not that much better. I'm not a digital NV hater  by any stretch, but it's simply not in the same league as decent gen3 NV. I wish it were, believe me, it would have been way cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#14]
OMG, the largest thread on the planet has all the answers

TBL - It works perfectly fine for anything you want to do as long as your ambient lighting condition is Night Level 4 or brighter. NL 4 is pretty dark.

Can you see the back of your outstretched hand? It'll work great. Can't see it? It won't without supplemental IR.

How much are they now? If in the $500ish range, I think you'll not be disappointed - just don't expect NL 5 Analog performance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Had them and could not get over the rectangle screen and lag even after tinkering with all the settings.

Sold both and bought a pvs14. Was much happier. I was told by many people not to waste my time or money on one but I didnt listen and they were right.

Now, if you want to use one for static observation, I could see a use case.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:19:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#16]
I want one for times I can’t use my gen 3 because:
1) it’s not dark enough to need real nods and I want to simply whip something out of a pocket and see into that dark place.
2) Any time I may not need it helmet mounted
3) I might want to make video of something I’m doing while wearing the nods.  This would be my main use.  Sionyx on a bipod behind me running drills to evaluate my own night training.

ETA: It’s infinitely better for the videoing aspect due to image burn-in of analog devices used for that purpose.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#17]

I've got an Omni 8 RNVG setup and a Sionyx Aurora, and the RNVG is waaaaaaaaay more sensitive, and can function far better without additional IR illumination. It's not even close. The Pro is a little better, but it's not that much better. I'm not a digital NV hater  by any stretch, but it's simply not in the same league as decent gen3 NV. I wish it were, believe me, it would have been way cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

It's not, nor was it intended to be a competitor. It's a different tool with its own capabilities and limitations. I'm not operating inside ships or pitch black urban environments, and the Aurora, with its pros is more suitable for my uses. Being able to record pictures and video is one of the big selling points to me. Mine's helmet-mounted, and thermal is weapon-mounted. Thermal can also capture pictures and video. My vision is better than most, so also take that into account. An Omni is not a basic Gen. 3 PVS-14, either.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:40:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#18]
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
I want one for times I can’t use my gen 3 because:
1) it’s not dark enough to need real nods and I want to simply whip something out of a pocket and see into that dark place.
2) Any time I may not need it helmet mounted
3) I might want to make video of something I’m doing while wearing the nods.  This would be my main use.  Sionyx on a bipod behind me running drills to evaluate my own night training.

ETA: It’s infinitely better for the videoing aspect due to image burn-in of analog devices used for that purpose.
View Quote

Bud, get it. I've done everything the analog guys did, on a 0% Illum (New Moon), 100% Cloud cover night, at the Garrettsville range in Ohio, with Pro Binos. The conditions were *NL4*.  I own BNVD-SGs, but I kept the Pro for Dual Band with an MH25.

I highly suggest going to the Sionyx thread, and start at whatever page July of 2020 is (when the pre-order Pros arrived) - and read my posts and especially the pics and vids. I've even driven with them. Maybe it's the Indian?

NL4 or brighter, is the key. The sensor delay is 30ms - the average blink, is 300ms.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Will need to catch up - but Aurora is 2 gens old now.  I don't know how much better sensitivity has improved.  Still, honestly, I think digital is not up to current gen 3+.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top