Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2017 2:06:08 PM EDT
I need help choosing between these two suppressors.

This will be my first suppressor, so the choice is extra tough for me right now. Lol

Which one would you guys choose and why?

I'll be using it on 14.5" and 11.5" uppers.

For me, OAL, POI shift and durability are slightly more important than Db reduction.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my 556 mini but prepare to pay for SOCOM mounts

I want a M4SD-k for A2 mounts

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my 556 mini but prepare to pay for SOCOM mounts

I want a M4SD-k for A2 mounts

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/Mobile%20Uploads/E4068BF7-869F-4A9F-9A79-A48301BCA2FB.jpg
View Quote
Was that your first can? Have any complaints with your 556 mini? Worth the money in your opinion?

Yeah, I was gonna buy the Surefire Warcomp or the Griffin M4SD flash comp.

Killer rifle dude.

ETA: How is the POA/POI shift on the Mini? Does it throw a lot of gas in your face?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the GA M4SDK and the guns I use at work have the surefire RC2. I would say the sound on the m4SDK is pretty similar to the surefire rc2. I have never shot the mini so I can't really comment on that part.

The surefire mount locks up nice and tight, but I really have no complaints with the A2 style mount either.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the GA M4SDK and the guns I use at work have the surefire RC2. I would say the sound on the m4SDK is pretty similar to the surefire rc2. I have never shot the mini so I can't really comment on that part.

The surefire mount locks up nice and tight, but I really have no complaints with the A2 style mount either.
View Quote
Thanks man.

How is the POA/POI shift with the M4SDK?

How do the two compare with gas to the face?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Was that your first can? Have any complaints with your 556 mini? Worth the money in your opinion?

Yeah, I was gonna buy the Surefire Warcomp or the Griffin M4SD flash comp.

Killer rifle dude.

ETA: How is the POA/POI shift on the Mini? Does it throw a lot of gas in your face?
View Quote
Thanks for the compliment.
It's my 3rd (?) 556 can and I have a few .30 too

The rifle is tuned with a .049 gas port and drilled charging handle so I can't fairly comment on gas to the face

I got the mini and a SF3P for $774 shipped so a pretty damn near steal. I needed to scratch the Surefire itch in my collection and this filled the need.

I like the mount and it's short. The finish was 'faulty' from the factory and I didn't care enough to pay shipping back to SF for a new coat of cerakote
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my M4SDK. I don't get gas to face, but full disclosure I also use a Gemtech bolt carrier.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need help choosing between these two suppressors.

This will be my first suppressor, so the choice is extra tough for me right now. Lol

Which one would you guys choose and why?

I'll be using it on 14.5" and 11.5" uppers.

For me, OAL, POI shift and durability are slightly more important than Db reduction.
View Quote

Weight ought to be an important factor, imo.

Is there even a remote possibility you will ever wear out any decent suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the compliment.
It's my 3rd (?) 556 can and I have a few .30 too

The rifle is tuned with a .049 gas port and drilled charging handle so I can't fairly comment on gas to the face

I got the mini and a SF3P for $774 shipped so a pretty damn near steal. I needed to scratch the Surefire itch in my collection and this filled the need.

I like the mount and it's short. The finish was 'faulty' from the factory and I didn't care enough to pay shipping back to SF for a new coat of cerakote
View Quote
Cool, thanks buddy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Love my M4SDK. I don't get gas to face, but full disclosure I also use a Gemtech bolt carrier.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/TATBME/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfblacw0j.jpeg
View Quote
Damn, that's a kickass setup. How's the POA/POI shift, if there is any?

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a first gen M4SDK and a couple Surefire SOCOM Mini's along with a bunch of other cans.  Reality is the M4SDK is a lot closer to a full-size SOCOM can than the mini.  It's about an inch longer and is heavier.  The mini is great on an SBR to take the bite out from a flash and blast standpoint but you are not going to impress your friends.  I can comfortably shoot a 10.3 Mk18 CQBR clone with a mini and ear plugs though.  The M4SDK is a great general purpose can and I use it both with A2's and Griffin mounts.  I get a lot of rotational play with both and some lateral play with A2's.  Based on the "looseness" of the mount I would not expect my M4SDK to be awesome from a POA/POI standpoint.

The Surefire locks up awesome.  No play at all and I've never had mine Carbon lock, however I don't move it from gun to gun as I have multiple cans.  No "hot can cold mount" situations for me.  In the Mk18 thread we had a 100 yard competition going and I shot a 2.1" 10 shot group at 100 yards with Mk262, Eotech w/mag, and a SOCOM attached.  Other people did better than that.  I've yet to bench the M4SDK but I should.

It all is going to come down to what you want to do with the can.  As mentioned the SOCOM will eat you alive with mount costs.  I believe the Surefire mounts are some of the most expensive ones.  On the other hand, not all my A2's work with my M4SDK.  The BFA grove sometimes is too small.  Of course I could buy 20 and still not make it to one Surefire mount......  The M4SDK is a great multi purpose can and if you are going to move it to multiple hosts is the obvious choice.  Personally, I feel the Surefire is a higher quality can, but you will pay for that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a first gen M4SDK and a couple Surefire SOCOM Mini's along with a bunch of other cans.  Reality is the M4SDK is a lot closer to a full-size SOCOM can than the mini.  It's about an inch longer and is heavier.  The mini is great on an SBR to take the bite out from a flash and blast standpoint but you are not going to impress your friends.  I can comfortably shoot a 10.3 Mk18 CQBR clone with a mini and ear plugs though.  The M4SDK is a great general purpose can and I use it both with A2's and Griffin mounts.  I get a lot of rotational play with both and some lateral play with A2's.  Based on the "looseness" of the mount I would not expect my M4SDK to be awesome from a POA/POI standpoint.

The Surefire locks up awesome.  No play at all and I've never had mine Carbon lock, however I don't move it from gun to gun as I have multiple cans.  No "hot can cold mount" situations for me.  In the Mk18 thread we had a 100 yard competition going and I shot a 2.1" 10 shot group at 100 yards with Mk262, Eotech w/mag, and a SOCOM attached.  Other people did better than that.  I've yet to bench the M4SDK but I should.

It all is going to come down to what you want to do with the can.  As mentioned the SOCOM will eat you alive with mount costs.  I believe the Surefire mounts are some of the most expensive ones.  On the other hand, not all my A2's work with my M4SDK.  The BFA grove sometimes is too small.  Of course I could buy 20 and still not make it to one Surefire mount......  The M4SDK is a great multi purpose can and if you are going to move it to multiple hosts is the obvious choice.  Personally, I feel the Surefire is a higher quality can, but you will pay for that.
View Quote
Great info man, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have not noticed much of a POI shift at 50 yards since I have gotten the M4SDK, but I have not shot it at ranges further than that a whole lot yet. The group may have shifted about an inch, but I am using a red dot so it wasnt super easy to tell.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont the surefire suppressors have a gas relief vent or something? I think the vent reduces back pressure? This would be important if you want to shoot the gun suppressed and unsuppressed once tuned?

I could be wrong I just thought I read that somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dont the surefire suppressors have a gas relief vent or something? I think the vent reduces back pressure? This would be important if you want to shoot the gun suppressed and unsuppressed once tuned?

I could be wrong I just thought I read that somewhere.
View Quote
The Surefire cans do have lower back pressure so they do tend to have less "gas to the face" issues.

ETA - some pics to "help" you:

M4SDK on the bottom 10.3" (the top can is a Saker 762)

A Surefire Mini Monster on another 10.3"

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Here is my M4SDK
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell yeah! Thanks for all the info and pics, you've been a big help.

I've decided to go with the Surefire. The more solid lockup, lower back pressure and less POA/POI shift, all made the Surefire more attractive to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally, I would recommend a full size Surefire if it's your first centerfire silencer as opposed to the mini.

In my experience the trade off between length/weight and decibel reduction is really only something that people with multiple silencer tend to appreciate, not necessarily first time buyers.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may very.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I want one just because it looks friggin awesome.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I hears a new m4sdk is coMing out? Any pics?
I have a gen 2 and love it, wouldnt Mind another one with the 200 credit....
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#21]
mines not a K, its just a II. BUT i love the damn thing

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I took my M4sdk out to the range today. At 200 yards with a red dot my group was about 1 to 1.5 inches low.

I am very pleased with how the can has been performing. Back pressure with a Daniel Defense barrel and a Gemtech adjustable bolt carrier doesn't seem to be bad at all. I notice a decent amount of gas going out if the ejection port, but I am not getting any gas in my face from the charging handle.

The can easily attaches and detaches from the hammer comp and my BCM comps.

Thank you Griffin Armament for making such a nice product.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top