Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2015 8:49:17 PM EDT
So I recently got a nice M1 garand from the CMP. I want to take this gun hunting and to the woods, but I don't want to ding or damage the USGI wood. I was looking at synthetic M1 stocks like the Ramline but it seems it has been discontinued and I can't find one. Anyone know where I can find a nice Synthetic stock with rubber butt pad? I am looking for a stock identical to the issued stock so it has to have the handguard pieces etc. Here is what I am going for just to be clear.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
With the current resale prices of even rack grade Garands I wouldn't hunt too much with one, but that's me. Brownells sells some nice aftermarket wood stocks and Numrich has surplus stocks pretty dang cheap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Out of stock, but can be back ordered at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/230744/champion-rifle-stock-m1-garand-synthetic-black

That's all I found.  The Ram-Line was discontinued.

For what its worth, Dupage Trading sells nice laminated wood stock sets.  You can varnish one of those to make it more or less weather proof and look nicer than a synthetic...

Matt

ETA, if you're feeling spendy, there is always the SAGE EBR chassis stock for the Garand...  

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]

A synthetic Garand stock ought to be a crime punishable by whipping.   Just get a quality aftermarket stock made of walnut.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A synthetic Garand stock ought to be a crime punishable by whipping.   Just get a quality aftermarket stock made of walnut.
View Quote
I am in no way a fudd (especially at 37 years old), and I like my tacticool stuff, but I have to agree with this.  One does not mess up a Garand.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It isn't a matter of tacticool. I am trying to get the synthetic stock so I do not ruin my garand. I don't have tons of money so I can only get one. And I want it to be something I can pass on to my kids. So the synthetic would be a great beater stock so my original wood will last. Going to look at those laminate stocks, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Use it as is, I have hunted with mine, and just oil and clean it really well afterwards. You also will probably have to get some 5 round or two round enblocs to be legal in your AO. Acouple of manufacturers make 30.06 with soft points loaded for the Garand. Be careful of hot commercially loaded ammo. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
A few more battle scars on that wood will only give the old warhorse more appeal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't have said it better. I concur wholeheartedly
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I just cannot go through the woods without scratching my wood stocks.  Scratched up my father-in-laws Rem. 742 the first time I hunted with it after he passed away.  Man I hated that.

I bought a rack grade greek return M1 from the CMP several years ago that they'd put in a new stock.  They being the Greeks.  I was told it was European Beech.  It had big circles of white looking wood in it that would not take a stain (I had a white/light wood stock, I'm a walnut/dark stock guy)  I tried different stains and just got a polka dotted finish with them.  I gave up and put the beech stock on a shelf and bought a Ramline stock for it.

Only two things about a Ramline I had to get used to.  One is it makes the gun seem muzzle heavy (felt funny at first, then it got to feeling normal).  The second was no butt stock storage for the cleaning gear (I'm going to fix that one of these days when I retire and have more time (one way or the other that stocks going to get some tubes in expanding foam to hold them in place in the hollow butt stock and GI butt plate.

I put an Amega Ranges scout scope mount on it and a 2X8 pistol scope.  Now I can shoot my M1 Garand.  Without the scope it would be a safe queen since the front sight is big blur to my 58 year old eyes.  I can adjust the scope so that the cross hairs are sharply in focus for me.  If I lived at home in the mountains again, I'd be deer hunting with my "shooter" M1.

Here's mine.  You can take the synthetic stock off anytime you want.  You can take the Amega Ranges mount off any time you want.  But if I did all that, the rifle would have to go in the safe since I couldn't hit with it anymore.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It isn't a matter of tacticool. I am trying to get the synthetic stock so I do not ruin my garand. I don't have tons of money so I can only get one. And I want it to be something I can pass on to my kids. So the synthetic would be a great beater stock so my original wood will last. Going to look at those laminate stocks, thanks.
View Quote

You do realize that it is a weapon built to fight wars with and and such has survived for 75 years. What you do hunting will not even be noticed by this rifle unless you neglect it. Proper cleaning and use do not hurt weapons. Chances are your kids will not show one bit of interest in it and will sell it for cheap..............as seen ssssssooooo many times.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just cannot go through the woods without scratching my wood stocks.  Scratched up my father-in-laws Rem. 742 the first time I hunted with it after he passed away.  Man I hated that.

I bought a rack grade greek return M1 from the CMP several years ago that they'd put in a new stock.  They being the Greeks.  I was told it was European Beech.  It had big circles of white looking wood in it that would not take a stain (I had a white/light wood stock, I'm a walnut/dark stock guy)  I tried different stains and just got a polka dotted finish with them.  I gave up and put the beech stock on a shelf and bought a Ramline stock for it.

Only two things about a Ramline I had to get used to.  One is it makes the gun seem muzzle heavy (felt funny at first, then it got to feeling normal).  The second was no butt stock storage for the cleaning gear (I'm going to fix that one of these days when I retire and have more time (one way or the other that stocks going to get some tubes in expanding foam to hold them in place in the hollow butt stock and GI butt plate.

I put an Amega Ranges scout scope mount on it and a 2X8 pistol scope.  Now I can shoot my M1 Garand.  Without the scope it would be a safe queen since the front sight is big blur to my 58 year old eyes.  I can adjust the scope so that the cross hairs are sharply in focus for me.  If I lived at home in the mountains again, I'd be deer hunting with my "shooter" M1.

Here's mine.  You can take the synthetic stock off anytime you want.  You can take the Amega Ranges mount off any time you want.  But if I did all that, the rifle would have to go in the safe since I couldn't hit with it anymore.

<a href="http://s307.photobucket.com/user/zsrbest/media/camoM1P1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/zsrbest/camoM1P1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I have dinged up wood stocks. I had an old turk mauser that I would take to the woods and I actually broke the stock falling from the ladder of a tree stand. The stock on my Garand is in amazing shape. The last thing I want is dents, dings, or cracks from dropping the gun or dense brush. Especially since I will not refinish my stock and ruin the original finish. Not to mention the benefits of synthetic stocks. I will likely bed the synthetic stock and free float the barrel for accuracy. The few people I know that use a synthetic stock all say with proper bedding and floating their groups significantly shrank. I backordered the champion stock from midway, we will have to see how it fits.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Just get a beater wood stock for hunting
I havent heard much good about the fit of Ramline stocks
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Just don't do this to it...

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I laughed my ass off at the compass in the Stock. And no I don't bubba my rifles. I am only trying to protect this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top