Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2022 5:20:35 PM EDT
I added Aimsport mlok rail and mlok grip panels. I also painted with paint kit from Arizona Response Systems and added Primary Arms 3x prism scope.
13C851DA-8A18-4C3C-A607-286B7F75EAA4 by fmfmarine Devildog, on Flickr

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  One thing I'd love to see is a two-piece MLOK rail that is designed to work in conjunction with a free float barrel nut, so that we can have a free float MLOK handguard.

I also want to try to find a way to get a correct-color Rhodie paint kit that produces a matte finish like the original vehicle paint used (it's less flat on the kits due to the polishing effects of handling).
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not down with paint scheme, but as long as you’re happy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s a classic paint job for the FAL.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the paint job, but not a fan of the rails system. To each their own though, Im just a purist when it comes to FAL/L1A1 rifles...

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Turns out, regular handguard can take an mlok rail section!
Attachment Attached File

I put a new led in the light so it's now not negative lumens.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m certainly an avid FAL enthusiast and still have several nice ones. The shorter para length barrels are my favorites. Rhodesian stuff is pretty hot right now, and the FALs from that conflict (as observed in SOF magazine) were what sparked my interest in FAL many years ago.  I’ve never been quite able to torque myself up to paint one of my rifles, but I do find the Rhodie paint scheme oddly attractive. They simply used what they had available to good effect.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm probably going to be putting the original hand guards back on the rifle. I will keep the DSA rail on for the 3x. The mlok rail is a bit thin and the mlok group panels give it some grip and thickness. I just not sold on the extra weight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Had this one built by DSA back in the quad rail days…. Excellent but heavy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
Nice.  One thing I'd love to see is a two-piece MLOK rail that is designed to work in conjunction with a free float barrel nut, so that we can have a free float MLOK handguard.
View Quote

Turns out FALs don't have barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah even the 'free float' FAL handguards aren't really 'free float.'

You'd have to mount to the receiver instead.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eodinert:

They have some kind of attachment where the handguard retainer would normally go. Not sure what the actual term for it is. Not sure exactly how it was secured, either.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]

They have some kind of attachment where the handguard retainer would normally go. Not sure what the actual term for it is. Not sure exactly how it was secured, either.
View Quote

The retainer is sandwiched by the barrel and the receiver I thought.....It’s been a while since I did mine.  Brit patterns have a timing washer.  The handguard retainer is loosely sammiched/captured.   You don’t want to forget putting one on before torquing the barrel on.   The front of the handguards have a bolt that passes through one guard, the gas block and threads into the opposing guard.

Not seeing a handy way to free float one unless you make it integral with a timing washers.....which vary in thickness by design to time the barrel.  Much easier to stockpile 12 timing washers than a $200 handguard with 12 different size ends.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigstick61] [#13]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

The retainer is sandwiched by the barrel and the receiver I thought.....It’s been a while since I did mine.  Brit patterns have a timing washer.  The handguard retainer is loosely sammiched/captured.   You don’t want to forget putting one on before torquing the barrel on.   The front of the handguards have a bolt that passes through one guard, the gas block and threads into the opposing guard.

Not seeing a handy way to free float one unless you make it integral with a timing washers.....which vary in thickness by design to time the barrel.  Much easier to stockpile 12 timing washers than a $200 handguard with 12 different size ends.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I'm talking about the free float handguards.  They have some kind of piece that attaches differently than the handguard retainer in lieu of it.  This is what the handguard itself attaches to.  The free float ones were open on top because they were one-piece designs, but I'll bet a two-piece design like some of the AR two-piece handguards could be made to work to allow for having a free float MLOK handguard.

As for the normal retainer, it's loose.  Installing the handguard keeps it in place, otherwise it can slide up and down the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the free float tube:
https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/product/handguard-free-float/

It clamps around the barrel, so it's really not 'free float' but 'free float-ish.'

An updated version of it would be interesting but I'm not sure the market's there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dark_zero_x:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/441360/signal-2022-04-27-18-12-49-390_jpg-2590648.JPG
View Quote

What kind of rail section is on your forearm for your light?
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By arfn:

View Quote

Magpul short rail section I think a 4 or 5 slot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jayg0351:
It’s a classic paint job for the FAL.
View Quote
Very cool , and I agree with quote.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#18]

I also want to try to find a way to get a correct-color Rhodie paint kit that produces a matte finish like the original vehicle paint used (it's less flat on the kits due to the polishing effects of handling).
View Quote

FALs don't have barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you like that Primary Arms 3x microprism?  Is it low enough for a good cheekweld?
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Redoubt99:
I love the paint job, but not a fan of the rails system. To each their own though, Im just a purist when it comes to FAL/L1A1 rifles...

https://i.imgur.com/2AN5OZg.jpg
View Quote

Second from the bottom is my jam. I should have never sold mine. Need to buy another after Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Thanks! Is the forearm just a generic bipod-cut plastic one?
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes,I get a decent cheek weld with it. There are 8 mounts that come with scope. They all different heights also, this is the lowest mount.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dark_zero_x] [#23]

Thanks! Is the forearm just a generic bipod-cut plastic one?
View Quote

Yeah sar48 handguard. So imbel.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I knew that I liked rhodesian paint jobs.

I knew that I disliked most modern furniture on FAL’s.

Now I learn that I really dislike when modern furniture FAL’s are painted like a 1970’s classic battle rifle when they look nothing like the original style.  Ugh.  

Sorry, just not my cup of tea.  Kind of like hydro dipping a Colt SP1 with Multicam....
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:00:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#25]

View Quote

+1...  Feel exactly the same.  Some nice rifles you have pictured.

Funny- my only FAL with anything modern is a PARA Imbel build which has a railed top cover and a red dot on it.  Just came to me that way...looks just like yours does.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Yeah sar48 handguard. So imbel.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/441360/20211204_192615_jpg-2596886.JPG
View Quote

Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#27]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/441360/signal-2022-04-27-18-12-49-390_jpg-2590648.JPG
View Quote

I realize this was a while ago but do you happen to remember the details of the light upgrade?

I have a couple of m3s that I'd love to improve.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

fourth from the top, a beauty.  deets?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top