Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2018 2:17:12 AM EDT
What model is best to dip my toes into the water with?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait for PSA, that's what I'm doing at least.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheap and MP5 don't usually go very well together. Hopefully the PSA model won't be a bust, but MP5 clones tend to very much be a "you get what you pay for" proposition
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
MKE’s are a great way to start.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes there's nothing more expensive than a cheap MP5 clone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand cheap and MP5 don’t go together.  Just wondering where to start.  I have a BlackHawk MiniBoss in jail and want to build or buy a host. Is buying a barreled upper cheaper?  Any manufacturers to look at or stay away from?

ETA: also any input on models? K, SD, Stretch, etc.?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you going to SBR it?

Do you care about 922r?

You need to answer these questions before accurate advice can be given.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to SBR it?

Do you care about 922r?

View Quote
SBR stamp and 922r to do it right of course...
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out the PTR  9C
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you going to SBR it?

Do you care about 922r?

One of the American built clones would be your easiest route then.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Either the PTR9C or the Zeniths. I personally have a Zenith and it's been a go-to range gun for about three years. Given PTRs competency in building 91 clones, I have no reservations about their offerings. Dakota Tactical makes very refined models, but they're very expensive. I think we all hope the Palmetto builds are good, but given the tolerance requirements on roller-delayed guns, I'm going to let them get tested in the wild before I buy one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I understand cheap and MP5 don’t go together.  Just wondering where to start.  I have a BlackHawk MiniBoss in jail and want to build or buy a host. Is buying a barreled upper cheaper?  Any manufacturers to look at or stay away from?

ETA: also any input on models? K, SD, Stretch, etc.?
View Quote
If you’re looking for a range, HD or shooting tool, I would recommend the MKE RS. I have a few different configurations and it’s the one that I enjoy shooting the most.

If you’re looking for something to carry or conceal, other configurations are better.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
My PTR 9CT in on the FedEx truck getting delivered today.

I'm at home impatiently waiting for a phone call from my favorite FFL.

I'm planning on putting 500 rds through it this weekend, and putting up a review.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The POFs use to be the cheapest at 13-1500, but they seemed to have dried up. Licensed by HK and have a metal trigger housing. Mine runs like a clock and is very accurate. After the first few mags I was able to keep most of the groups to one hole, kneeling, at 15 yards. If another batch comes in that price range, snatch one up, they only come in twice a year.

My only complaint is the glossy paint finish. I wish they would go a bit flatter.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Omega 9mm upper that has worked great for me.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/omega-9mm-full-size-receiver-atlantic-exclusive-detail.html?Itemid=0

If you already have a stock and trigger housing it's probably the cheapest option currently available (whoops, out of stock currently).  I've only shot mine in full-auto.

I also put an MLOK handguard on and an earlier version of this bolt mostly to not have to replace the extractor spring.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/accessories2012-06-22-04-48-571593674582/m-a-d-bolt-head-detail.html?Itemid=0

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have an Omega 9mm upper that has worked great for me.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/omega-9mm-full-size-receiver-atlantic-exclusive-detail.html?Itemid=0

If you already have a stock and trigger housing it's probably the cheapest option currently available (whoops, out of stock currently).  I've only shot mine in full-auto.

I also put an MLOK handguard on and an earlier version of this bolt mostly to not have to replace the extractor spring.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/accessories2012-06-22-04-48-571593674582/m-a-d-bolt-head-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://i.imgur.com/tb4ohRf.jpg?1
View Quote
How much is a stock and trigger housing? I’ve only seen uppers for sale but not trigger housings...
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How much is a stock and trigger housing? I’ve only seen uppers for sale but not trigger housings...
View Quote
HKparts.net has tons of stocks & trigger housings. Wide price range on them, be sure to look out for your 922R parts when buying if you want to SBR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know about cheapest, but those PTR guns are nice.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

HKparts.net has tons of stocks & trigger housings. Wide price range on them, be sure to look out for your 922R parts when buying if you want to SBR.
View Quote
Thank you!

I want to get a k housing for a k reciever, and vice versa right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top