Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 10:54:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough]
I evaluated the parasitic battery drain in 3 Raid Xe units (2fp, 1 lp). For the forst 5 days or so, in all three, which all displayed uniform drain characteristics. They were identical. However, since I use this stuff, I settled on only one, which I could set aside, for this test. It spans from 6/9/24  to 7/7/24.

I began with a fresh 3.26v Surefire battery. Unloaded voltage read 3.26V, and the Raid Xe read it as 100%. My pulse load battery meter read it as >80. My open voltage meter read it as 100%.

This was 6/9/24 when it was placed in the unit, mfr date 2024. The unit is a full power red laser unit. It was switched off.

On 6/14/24, voltage was taken to show 3.11v open circuit.

On 6/18/24, 3.08v

On 6/19/24, 3.08v

On 6/20/24, 3.07v

On 6/22/24, 3.07v

On 6/23/24, 3.07v

On 6/24/24, 3.07v

On 6/25/24, 3.07v

On 6/26/24, 3.06v

On 6/29/24 -7/5/24, 3.06v

On 7/7/24, it measured 3.05v, then 3.06v, then 3.05v. I measure 3x at each time to make sure conduction is best. It settled in at 3.05v. Pulse load measured battery at >80%, and open circuit meter rated it at 90%.

I then, at 1000hrs, placed it back in the unit and turned the selector to Viz, High. I did not activate thr laser. By 1700hrs, the battery read 2.94v and registered 85% SoC open circuit, 92% per the Raid Xe, and >80% on my pulse load meter, which operates in 20% increment. Interestingly, once the battery was removed and sat for a day, it rose back to 3.06v/90% open circuit, and 100% per the onboard Xe diagnostic. Ambient temperatures did not change.

It is my assessment that parasitic battery drain is not an issue for properly PMed systems using the Raid Xe. You are not likely to pick up your weapon to use it and find a dead battery, so long as you switch the laser OFF, which is a common theme with mfals.

This is based on my experience above, showing roughly a 10% SoC loss over 1 month, which was mostly in the first week and a half, slowing dramatically under 3.1v. The unit that I use has been in use well over a month, and while mostly off, it was forgotten ON one night, and has been frequently used for short periods of time over roughly 2 months. It is in my other FP laser and this Xe measures it at 98% with the onboard diagnostics, while the open circuit voltage reads 2.99v/85%, pulse measured at >80%.

It is worth noting that both Raid Xes read the same 98% using onboard diagnostics with this battery. I also note that it clan fluctuate from 90% when the battery is first inserted and the laser switched ON and the diagnostic run, to 98% if you run the diagnostic after its been in the ON position in any setting for a few minutes. It seems like a very sensitive system, based on voltage detected, and even slight demand fluctuations can cause a reading variance, of course.

I also tested a cr123 which read 2.86v open circuit/65% , per my meter, and <20% on the pulse meter. In both units, it read 80%. However, this was after the unit was switched ON for a few seconds. Initial test reading is 70%, which is why I came to the conclusion in the above paragraph. There is some start up draw that causes a brief sag, ever so small.

Thus concludes my observation that you should be fine verifying bedside type use weapon systems monthly, and I would not be shocked if you got a full year or more if you made sure to switch the Raid Xe off.

While this is a bit deep on the nerd scale, nothing is worse than your mfal dying unexpectedly, and there have been issues with units such as the NGAL eating a battery in a few days even when off.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 440roadrunner] [#1]
The  big  problem  with  external anode  transmitting tubes is not   grid or  screen failures   so long as  tubes are properly operated  and  protected by overload devices.  The  big problem  is trying to obtain  over rated power outputs, especially at low  anode voltages,  which then require  larger  anode  current to do so.  The simple answer is,  you simply  strip the coating off the cathode/ filament structure,  and pretty soon the emission characteristics   begins to diminish,  after which high power output simply cannot be attained.

The answer is to operate the amplifier with  high   but reasonable anode voltages which,  all other  factors being correct, promotes  higher efficiency, and lower anode current at  high power output levels

I never  tune  amplifiers  using these types of tubes  while worrying too much about anode current.  Instead,  I rigidly monitor  grid  and screen current  and output power.  The smaller  tubes such as the 4CX-150 / 250Bs   will NOT tolerate   much grid current.  You really must monitor  drive,  most especially if  linearity feedback  (ALC) is not used,  to  keep  audio peaks  low enough that the grid  is  "zero."

Keep one hand on the drive control, and keep  drive low as you "walk"  the tuning  into place, all the while looking at  control grid and screen current.  Screen and grid  current will come down  as loading is increased  Screen voltage  circuit with current trip and limiting  is a huge  advantage  to long tube life

It  is really unfortunate that the  8877   "pulls" out of medical  equipment  pretty much  no longer exist, as these are just a  tremendous tube  (then)  for the money
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 440roadrunner:
The  big  problem  with  external anode  transmitting tubes is not   grid or  screen failures   so long as  tubes are properly operated  and  protected by overload devices.  The  big problem  is trying to obtain  over rated power outputs, especially at low  anode voltages,  which then require  larger  anode  current to do so.  The simple answer is,  you simply  strip the coating off the cathode/ filament structure,  and pretty soon the emission characteristics   begins to diminish,  after which high power output simply cannot be attained.

The answer is to operate the amplifier with  high   but reasonable anode voltages which,  all other  factors being correct, promotes  higher efficiency, and lower anode current at  high power output levels

I never  tune  amplifiers  using these types of tubes  while worrying too much about anode current.  Instead,  I rigidly monitor  grid  and screen current  and output power.  The smaller  tubes such as the 4CX-150 / 250Bs   will NOT tolerate   much grid current.  You really must monitor  drive,  most especially if  linearity feedback  (ALC) is not used,  to  keep  audio peaks  low enough that the grid  is  "zero."

Keep one hand on the drive control, and keep  drive low as you "walk"  the tuning  into place, all the while looking at  control grid and screen current.  Screen and grid  current will come down  as loading is increased  Screen voltage  circuit with current trip and limiting  is a huge  advantage  to long tube life

It  is really unfortunate that the  8877   "pulls" out of medical  equipment  pretty much  no longer exist, as these are just a  tremendous tube  (then)  for the money
View Quote

What in the hell are you talking about?

Back on topic.  To the OP, awesome testing bro.  I haven't seen any issues with my Raid XE but I also always leave it in the off position.  I've had the same CR123A battery in this unit for two months now and im still reading near full capacity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a low power RAID Xe. Had a battery installed a little over 2 months now. I haven't mounted it and very little use doing comparison tests.

Messed with the unit this afternoon. Battery indicator showed 3/4 to full (been this way for a while). I tried to function test. Vis laser no output and screen went wierd and became pixelated grid. Switched it on and off, 3/4 battery and then displayed low battery when trying to activate vis laser.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
I have a low power RAID Xe. Had a battery installed a little over 2 months now. I haven't mounted it and very little use doing comparison tests.

Messed with the unit this afternoon. Battery indicator showed 3/4 to full (been this way for a while). I tried to function test. Vis laser no output and screen went wierd and became pixelated grid. Switched it on and off, 3/4 battery and then displayed low battery when trying to activate vis laser.
View Quote

Some CR123's don't start life as solid as others. Also, some are defective. I would evaluate the unit more closely and measure the CR123 closely and see what you discover.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top