Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 9/17/2010 5:08:19 AM EDT
Disclaimer: I am rather new to the M16 platform so humor me if these are basic questions.

I have found an original all Colt M16A1 in good+ shape for what seems to be a good price. It has the original upper with the triangular handguards. Seems the going price for these things is right around $14K? Is that still the norm?

Big hole vs small hole - I believe this one has the large hole for the takedown pin. In order to run other uppers, is there a proven method to allow the small hole uppers to run on these lowers with no damage and no permanent modification?

Link Posted: 9/17/2010 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have seen several Colt M16A1s in good (but not minty) condition sell lately in the $12.5-13k range. For $14k, it had better be 99% and all original.

And no factory Colt full-autos (AR15s, M16/A1/A2 had the large takedown pin holes. If the one you are looking at does, there is something seriously wrong here.

+1; A "Factory Colt" C3 with large takedown pin is nothing more than a SP1 that was converted; I would be very careful. Original Facroty Colt MGs are made exactly like the military ones, with normal sized takedown pins, the large takedown pins are exclusive to the civilian "sporter" rifles.

This is a Harrington & RIchardson M16A1, one of the three or four major contractors for the M16A1 in the 60s.

This one is a "Registered Receiver" M16 machine gun that was built using a Colt Sporter Carbine; bear in mind that this is NOT a factory weapon, this was once a semi only carbine that was registered, then the conversion done to it, perhaps using original colt parts, but it never came as a full auto weapon from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses. I have not seen it or pictures yet. That should get cleared-up next week. I have not been told it has the large hole by the owner, I will get this clear next week as well.

He is asking $12500 and I am thinking $12K even but I have to go see it first. I know he paid $14K for it about a year ago. I got the current $14K number from
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/us_mg_4.html
and looking at subguns and sturmgewehr.

I need to keep from getting too exicted about it. I rarely hear of one in state for sale but Knob Creek is coming in a few short weeks and that could be a big buying opportunity I guess.

Any more information/suggestions is/are appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
How about this one?  I was getting very close to bidding, now wish I had.  It went from low $8k to final price in an hour or so.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=189348439
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
So to judge future buys, here is what I did and would like to know what to look for in the future:

I spoke to the seller, I know his reputation, figured it was legit non reweld since he said there no SOT markings on the gun or the paperwork.  However, I have heard ATF was much more liberal in marking locations and they could be under the grip out of sight.  Is this true?

He also mentioned there was no evidence of reweld.

However working against it are the pictures which are lousy at best.  Not to mention the refinish.

End of day, there seemed to be a lot of interest and several active buyers, I assumed it was fair market value with too many unknowns, skipped bidding.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 3:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep- I just transferred an M16 that was a reweld and the real manufacturer's marks were on the grip attachment area and not visible unless you took the pistol grip off.

You have to watch out for these- the odds are it's a reweld.  When this particular rifle came in, the paperwork listed the original source of the scrap parts under manufacturer.  When it went out, the correct info was on the paperwork.  The new owner was not pleased, but I'm not submitting paperwork with incorrect info on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]
If one was to strip down the reciever and find no manufactures markings would it be safe to assume it is not a reweld? Is a xray or Freedom of information act the only way to really tell if one has a reweld?
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Tony:

Was there a particular place they were usually welded together?
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tony:

Was there a particular place they were usually welded together?

Depends on where they were cut.

I asked the seller who was listed on the form, he said it was H&R. But like stated above, people could list any number of things on the paper work, even if it wasn't quite true. I missed watching the end of that auction, I would have been interseted at $9k or so, but someone must think its not a reweld. Everything to me says reweld, and I'd put money on that if someone x-rayed it. Oh well. Buyers beware.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I just spoke with my best friend who is a dentist and he says his machine is not made to take more than 3inch by 3inch xrays. I guess I will have to make friends with a DR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
OST
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just spoke with my best friend who is a dentist and he says his machine is not made to take more than 3inch by 3inch xrays. I guess I will have to make friends with a DR.

Did you win the one on gunbroker we were looking at???
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
No. I bought a 5,35x,xxx us property marked m16 about 8 months ago and I should have it in my hands by the end of the month.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No. I bought a 5,35x,xxx us property marked m16 about 8 months ago and I should have it in my hands by the end of the month.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c178/emrisg/M-16pics002.jpg

Gottca. Who is listed on your form as the manf? Do you think it might be a reweld? Or do you know its a reweld?
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Seems my thread took a detour but good information just the same.

I have pictures now and will post some this evening. In the mean time, could someone explain how to tell it is an obvious factory finish?
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#21]
My dealer X rayed the gun above yesterday and it was not a reweld. I was told to be suspicious of any US property marked guns but that the ones in the 535XXXX range were sold to LE's so you see a lot of original ones in this range. This other picture seems to back this reasoning up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#22]
What would it do to the value of an H&R or GM or Colt gun that has been refinished, and was assumed a reweld, but
a clear xray was made and no evidence of being a reweld is present?
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seems my thread took a detour but good information just the same.

I have pictures now and will post some this evening. In the mean time, could someone explain how to tell it is an obvious factory finish?

Post some photos. That is the best way. Colt's finish is something that I've never seen anyone be able to redo. US Anno is about the closest, but usually it'll look factory fresh, and that would lead you to think unless it has sat in a safe for the last 20 years, it was refinished. Get some photos up. That would be the best way for us to be able to at least give you a guess. Do you have a photo of the FCG?
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Tony K -  Would you refinish the gun I posted pics of in this thread. It has been used and has some finish missing and also has the rack number scratched on the front of the mag well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Since I do not own this piece, I hope I am not showing bad manners by posting pics. If I am, any mod can feel free to delete them.

Any issues anyone notices? Any comments would be appreciated.
From my basic understanding, it looks good and nothing jumps out at me. He does not know the history of the gun and has told me he fired about 500 rounds through another upper since he bought it. I am sure it has seen more rounds than that since it left the factory.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd say that looks like a fine M16A1. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tony K -  Would you refinish the gun I posted pics of in this thread. It has been used and has some finish missing and also has the rack number scratched on the front of the mag well.

And on yours, heck no, I wouldn't refinish it. You have a .gov marked M16A1 that you know isn't a reweld? If you refinish it, you will drop the value on it. I mean, like tony said, its your gun, so do as you want, but its in fine condition. Shoot it, and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the input. I will pursue this further with the owner and see if we can agree on the price after actually seeing it first hand.

Curious question... I assume a few thousand rounds is not a high count for a M16? If properly maintained, what is the life expectancy of a receiver?
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top