Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2024 7:24:53 PM EDT
hi,
anyone know who may manufacture "heavier than normal" buffers?
have persistent bounce/hammer follow w/ s.s.

my total recip. mass is around 23oz (13.3 bolt & 10oz kaw buffer)
and still have this happen.

(7.5in suppressed bbl. carb. tube & st. carb. spring ) using 147gr sub ammo 905fps.

any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 7:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#1]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 7:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

someone else offered up the 12oz 9QT from heavybuffers. may call them an ask about, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]

I've been itching to try the Maxim Def roller delayed pcc buffer.

You can try it and report back.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:

View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Maxim-Defense-RDB-review/15-780933/&page=4
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:24:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#6]
If you’re having the bolt bounce out of battery, causing light strikes resembling hammer follow, you need a buffer that uses moveable weights. VLTOR A5 SH lineup probably has your answer. You may (or may not) need to remove the biasing spring that is inside of them. Most 9mm buffers are solid, because bolt bounce isn’t a problem for PCCs usually. Because semi. However, it’s not a super common problem in auto, either, so I’m curious what’s the real root cause here.

You already have more than enough mass to prevent any malfunctions caused purely by inadequate mass.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
If you’re having the bolt bounce out of battery, causing light strikes resembling hammer follow, you need a buffer that uses moveable weights. VLTOR A5 SH lineup probably has your answer. You may (or may not) need to remove the biasing spring that is inside of them. Most 9mm buffers are solid, because bolt bounce isn’t a problem for PCCs usually.
View Quote

i am using a 10.3 K.V. buffer. (heaviest kv makes) called to see if it is indeed solid
and they tell me it is not. tungsten weights, with very sm. spacers that move inside.

at least that is what they told me. i asked them that when i shake the buffer, you cant hear/feel any movement
inside. they said that was because of the spacers, but they still move.

if you know any different for sure...let me know.

Angstadt Arms makes a 6.3oz dead-blow 9mm that is specifically made for f/a running.
you think any help with this one?

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Which bolt?  Is the bolt weighted?  Most bolts you can add weight in the rear portion that is held by a pin.

That might be enough.  I use a 15 ounce bolt with a 7 ounce buffer and have not had any problem with bounce.  I'm no Jerry Miculek on the trigger tho
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Which bolt?  Is the bolt weighted?  Most bolts you can add weight in the rear portion that is held by a pin.

That might be enough.  I use a 15 ounce bolt with a 7 ounce buffer and have not had any problem with bounce.  I'm no Jerry Miculek on the trigger tho
View Quote

foxtrot mike 13.3 colt spec bolt. 10oz buffer. 23.3 total recip. weight.
cant use the original cmmg 9mm bolt w/ their ramped weight unless
i mill a portion of the ramp off (it interferes with the lever of the s.s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:59:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#10]
There’s enough mass. I’m currently using 20oz total with a fulltime suppressed gun with the same barrel length. Its curious that you’re having a bolt bounce problem at all, though. If you’re trying to use a product or technique that doesn’t involve a sear trip lever inside, that might be your problem….no mechanical control of hammer timing.

I’m not sure about those buffers, but I know that the Vltor ones have moving weights. A cheap thing to try would be a KVP spacer (2.5oz) stacked between your bolt assembly and a regular 5.56 buffer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#11]
There’s enough mass. I’m currently using 20oz total with a fulltime suppressed gun with the same barrel length. Its curious that you’re having a bolt bounce problem at all, though. If you’re trying to use a product or technique that doesn’t involve a sear trip lever inside, that might be your problem….no mechanical control of hammer timing.

I’m not sure about those buffers, but I know that the Vltor ones have moving weights. A cheap thing to try would be a KVP spacer (2.5oz) stacked between your bolt assembly and a regular 5.56 buffer.
View Quote

spacer was my next try...we`ll see.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:25:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#12]
Originally Posted By lx2008:

spacer was my next try...we`ll see.
View Quote
A thought occurs to me; if you don’t have a sear trip lever (I don’t know anything about the s.s.), it is much more likely that you are outrunning the gun and having hammer follow, than bolt bounce, since that’s an abnormal problem to have with a blowback gun. If that’s the case, then the only thing preventing an out of battery kaboom is the bolt geometry preventing the hammer from squaring up to the firing pin.

If that’s the case, less mass, not more, will increase bolt velocity, closing faster, and loaning that time to the hammer. But you’d better make sure that the bolt ramp geometry will prevent OOB. Of course, even then, there is a minimum safe threshold for mass in a blowback gun. I know that 20oz is safe with subs and a .45 silencer. Below that, I’m not sure. I think the Scorp or AK-P use like 17oz…don’t remember for sure. But they work safely suppressed.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#13]
A thought occurs to me; if you don’t have a sear trip lever (I don’t know anything about the s.s.), it is much more likely that you are outrunning the gun and having hammer follow, than bolt bounce, since that’s an abnormal problem to have with a blowback gun. If that’s the case, then the only thing preventing an out of battery kaboom is the bolt geometry preventing the hammer from squaring up to the firing pin.

If that’s the case, less mass, not more, will increase bolt velocity, closing faster, and loaning that time to the hammer. But you’d better make sure that the bolt ramp geometry will prevent OOB. Of course, even then, there is a minimum safe threshold for mass in a blowback gun. I know that 20oz is safe with subs and a .45 silencer. Below that, I’m not sure. I think the Scorp or AK-P use like 17oz…don’t remember for sure. But they work safely suppressed.

Good luck.
View Quote

that is exactly what another person told me. that it was outrunning the gun. i did try a 5.4oz buffer but it did the same.
ill maybe try a little less...and see what happens.

had this exact same problem when doing the same with a spikes .22 dedicated conv. yrs ago. the guy at spikes said to
put in reduced power hammer/trigg./disco springs. ran like gang busters after that.

not sure if same thing but i might try.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You need to talk to Rudy at Macon Armory @Mad-Machinist
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Macon Arms dead blow buffer and carbine spring.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Imma unsubscribe now so I don’t have to see a series of the same recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:
Solid buffers are part of the problem......cartridge protrusion is another. There needs to be a slight gap between the bolt and barrel when a round is loaded. Combine the gap with a moveable weight buffer and a stock 5,56 carbine spring and it will stop.
Rudy
View Quote

thnx & i`ll try to find a 6oz or so buffer that has moving weights.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#19]
@Droppoint
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

link to the buffer spacer? cant find it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you tried a different buffer spring?  Maybe try a Tubbs 308 spring instead of the carbine spring.  As mentioned, you already have quite a bit of mass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mike92GT:
Have you tried a different buffer spring?  Maybe try a Tubbs 308 spring instead of the carbine spring.  As mentioned, you already have quite a bit of mass.
View Quote

yes & also an KV XP too. would`nt even get more than 1rd to go w/ that.
when i put a std. spring in...it would go 2 then one w/ light primer strike.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lx2008:

link to the buffer spacer? cant find it.
View Quote
My mistake; it’s Kynshot not KVP. Link
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I have 3 of them, they can be pretty awesome, but ammo seems to be more of the feel than any other buffer I have used.  Heavy bullets and fast powders are my favorite combo with them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

I have 3 of them, they can be pretty awesome, but ammo seems to be more of the feel than any other buffer I have used.  Heavy bullets and fast powders are my favorite combo with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

How is the charging force needed with the Maxim?  That is one thing that keeps coming up in my research and I am honestly not sure how much I think it really matters.  Especially if it can get decent to good recoil feel but in a carbine or shorter buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SlowTA:

How is the charging force needed with the Maxim?  That is one thing that keeps coming up in my research and I am honestly not sure how much I think it really matters.  Especially if it can get decent to good recoil feel but in a carbine or shorter buffer tube.
View Quote

It takes more force than anything else I have.  My girlfriend cannot charge it without putting some serious effort into it.  I do not have that problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#27]
There is some great info here - I run this setup in my EPC-9 and it makes quite the difference in recoil.

Gentle recoil system
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlowTA] [#28]
Originally Posted By KYSPIKED:
There is some great info here - I run this setup in my EPC-9 and it makes quite the difference in recoil.

Gentle recoil system
View Quote

A friend of mine put that in his ar9 and it was a game changer for the recoil. The only things I don’t like about it is that it uses a longer buffer tube and it’s kind of expensive. Those aside I am waiting on the spring and weights to put in my fm9.

I would like to make a super short ar9 for a backpack and that’s why I was wondering about the Maxim. I think I’m gonna build another at some point and use that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top