Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 2:58:48 PM EDT
Picking up a brand new SKS as a fun gun any cool mods I can do to it besides tapco ing it up? If you have pics plz share

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There is absolutely nothing to do to an SKS.

Get some stripper clips and a case of ammo instead.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not aware of any.

You could definitely tapco the shit out of it, if you're into that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
ChiCom 20rd mag, swap out wood for fiberglass stock, get rear receiver cover with pic rail for scope/OEG.
This is cool but I'd have to get rid of the stock sights:

This is cool (20rd ChiCom mag):

Gotta have this! (Grenade Launcher)
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly,I'd say see how you like it stock first. Only thing I would suggest is a Murry's spring loaded firing pin: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

I've put one in my Chinese, Yugo and Russian SKS. My Russian is from 1950 and although that year and earlier had a spring loaded firing pin already, I figured I'd preserve the original one. Most others have free floaters that can sometimes get stuck from cosmoline, lack of cleaning or shooting lots of rounds through it at one time which can cause more than one shot per trigger pull. Its cheap insurance and nothing out of the ordinary since they where originally designed with one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Fiberglass stock....TRIGGER JOB....maybe a xtra power recoil spring/buffer, thats all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I modded mine by trading it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
SGWorks bullpup stock kit:

There is a bit of a wait, as they took a bunch of pre-production orders.  I should have mine in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Carrying strap. Synthetic conventional-style stock perhaps, if there's a need. Maybe a Williams or Mojo rear aperture sight.

Send an e-mail to UltiMAK requesting a gas tube rail for the SKS. They really need to make one and the demand should be heard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Scope, beamz, Tapco stock and banana clips!

...and don't forget to file down the firing pin to make it full auto!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#12]

That is fucking hillarious.....because it's true

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What he said.  Shoot it, period.  There is nothing you can do to improve them.  I have a half dozen of them, a Chinese, a few 59s and and a few 59/66s.  They are all reliable, fairly accurate and easy to re-charge with the strippers.  Great urban defense weapon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Be aware of 922r violations. The yugo SKS as imported is a 922r nightmare once you start to change things out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Tech sights. A must.

ETA:
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

First post and all that.
The designers knew what they were doing. Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
As a long time owner of many different SKS's my advice is to just keep it stock and clean it up. They really are a nice rifle as is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
SGWorks bullpup stock kit:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6nOwg10eAY0jhlclJqkGqoPcAlihMW1NAI6p5qT-Z6x2FTKR4uw&t=1

There is a bit of a wait, as they took a bunch of pre-production orders.  I should have mine in the next month or so.

Now that is interesting. Please post a review!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]

yep , iraqi stash find...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ChiCom 20rd mag

I own one of those. some day, I'll find someone who owns an SKS that I dislke enough to actually give it to.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I kind of like these upper handguards.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ChiCom 20rd mag

I own one of those. some day, I'll find someone who owns an SKS that I dislke enough to actually give it to.

That pretty accurately describes my feelings too. Worse than worthless.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#30]
As a form SKS owner I'd like to say: Pass on the SKS and get an AK.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Honestly,I'd say see how you like it stock first. Only thing I would suggest is a Murry's spring loaded firing pin: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

+1...The original free-floating pins are actually pretty easily stuck unless you keep them nice and clean.  My SKS didn't stick, but the pin actually *bent* causing...Problems...  Replaced it with a pin from Murry and no problems since.

The only other things you really NEED besides that are stripper clips, or surplus ammo* on stripper clips.  A sling would be nice, and if it's not included, a cleaning rod to put under the barrel and a cleaning kit for inside the butt-stock might be nice, but you don't NEED them...And you should probably use a commercial cleaning kit anyway.

You might consider a trigger job, mostly for safety reasons, but I haven't done it and have never had a problem.  I forget the details, but something can be screwy about the engagement, which is a bad idea.  Theres a guy out there who takes your original trigger group and works on it, that's the route I'd go if I did a trigger job.  Just always be mindful that your safety (as with all weapons) does not guarantee that the weapon will not discharge, and make sure your trigger pull isn't overly light or short when you first get the rifle.

* For those that don't know, lots of surplus ammo, and essentially *ALL* surplus ammo from former communist countries, is corrosively primed.  The only sure way to remove the salts is to use water.  Hot water with a bit of liquid dish soap is even better.

For the SKS you're basically going to want to use some patches soaked in hot soapy water to clean out the barrel, the gas tube inside the upper hand-guard, and the foreword section (The part inside the rear sight base is probably OK, but you could clean it too if you wanted) of gas piston, and it might be a good idea to do the bolt face as well.  If you shot with the bayonet extended, clean the blade too, as the corrosive salts touch everything the propellant gases touch.  Run a brush down the bore a few times, scrub the gas piston with a toothbrush, then dry everything thoroughly.  Be sure that you've gotten all the water out, you might even use some acetone to help evaporate any thats left.  After that I suggest repeating the process again, but using bore solvent (Or CLP) this time, and when done, oil the parts and bore lightly, and you're done.

My Yugoslavian SKS and a few bolt action surplus rifles, none of which have chrome plated bores, have been on a steady diet of corrosive ammo, and I've always cleaned them like that.  I haven't seen any ill effects, and corrosion, any pitting, or any rusting in any of them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
tech sights are great.
No permanent mods to rifle and it improves the iron sights of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#33]
About the only thing that happens to tapco-fucked SKS's it seems, is that they get to sit in a pawn shop for a few decades at double retail price with rust and loose-fitting parts. No seriously, I got so sick of seeing them at pawn shops like that I nearly gave up on getting an SKS. Back when yugos were dirt cheap you would find one with missing parts and things not fitting together and probably not safe to fire for $350+ at the shops around here. Whatever happens, don't use cheap broken parts

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tech sights. A must.

ETA: http://www.tech-sights.com/TS200.gif

This.  Extending the sight radius is the biggest improvement for the SKS.  Prior to the Tech sights, Williams had/has a peep replacement for the rear blade that installs in seconds.  The peep alone is a great improvement.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Mod the bolt to drop mags free when the bolt is in battery.

I'm currently at work.  I'll get back with some other details and pics.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Stripper Clips and Ammo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#37]
The AK just does not "fit" me well.  Mags are heavy.  A buddy gave me a Cherry SKS. Unfired new. Fit like a glove but damn heavy for a greyhair like me. So I have removed the bayo and grenade sights. Shortly I plan to send it off for a barrel chop to rid the grenade launcher and the firing pin mod. Then the Tech sights. I have 100 stripper clips. I already used Tandy's Leather dye (cordovan color) on the stock after thinning down the stock a bit to fit me and finished with Formby's Tung Oil Finish.
I don't plan to run and gun with the kids but I do want a top quality firearm that fits me. I don't collect and don't give a crap about keeping it "original" but no Tapco crap for me.  I want KISS function. Going to get rid of my WASR after it's done as I doubt I will ever see another SHTF in my remaining lifetime And knowing I only have ten before reload will keep me aiming instead of spraying. WJ
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

And a Chicom chest bandolier, it will carry 140 rounds on stripper clips and a cleaning kit/oil.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The AK just does not "fit" me well.  Mags are heavy.  A buddy gave me a Cherry SKS. Unfired new. Fit like a glove but damn heavy for a greyhair like me. So I have removed the bayo and grenade sights. Shortly I plan to send it off for a barrel chop to rid the grenade launcher and the firing pin mod. Then the Tech sights. I have 100 stripper clips. I already used Tandy's Leather dye (cordovan color) on the stock after thinning down the stock a bit to fit me and finished with Formby's Tung Oil Finish.

I don't plan to run and gun with the kids but I do want a top quality firearm that fits me. I don't collect and don't give a crap about keeping it "original" but no Tapco crap for me.  I want KISS function. Going to get rid of my WASR after it's done as I doubt I will ever see another SHTF in my remaining lifetime And knowing I only have ten before reload will keep me aiming instead of spraying. WJ

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Get the trigger worked on by Kivaari, Murray's firing pin replacement, and maybe some tech sights, but otherwise don't fuck with it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone mentioned ammo and stripper clips yet?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Paint it something crazy!

Didn't someone here have a day-glo yellow one that was stolen?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#43]
The commie Mini-14
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#44]
My SKS (a Yugo 59/66) has proved to be my "gateway gun"  It was the first mil-surp I bought after lusting after one for nearly a decade, but school (and later life) kept getting in the way.

As just about everyone else has written, I wouldn't go too far beyond ammo and stripper clips for a SKS.  Just be careful when loading one (especially if you are not using a stripper clip) as you can wind up with a "SKS" thumb  A sling and a cleaning kit are handy to have around.  I have one of those butt-stock cleaning kits that go in the trap-door on the stock but never have used it.  Those USGI seven-pocket 5.56 bandoleers can easily hold 14 loaded stripper clips, which will give you 140 rounds at your finger tips.

I wouldn't waste my time and money on those replacement receiver covers with integral scope mounts.  You'll lose your zero every time you clean your rifle.  Plus (and unlike the AK), the recoil spring rests against the back of the cover.  So, the forces of the bolt sliding back will be transmitted to the scope every time you shoot it.

James
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Tapco Mags if you want more than 10rnds  other than that and some tech sights ide leave it alone.  The Chinese 20rnder suck ass they are prone to bent feed lips and feeding problems. I switched mine out to the normal stock one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top