Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2016 12:21:40 PM EDT
My cousin just got accepted to enlist, or whatever its called there.

The family over there is pretty psyched; the FB commentary left me with the impression that it's tough to get in even as a regular enlisted.

She's not going to be a Territorial, Regular Army as I understand it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it's a really long 1st tour!  Like 10 or 12 years if I remember right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The family over there is pretty psyched; the FB commentary left me with the impression that it's tough to get in even as a regular enlisted.

View Quote

the Territorials as a term were replaced by the term Army Reserve a few years back if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My best buddy joined after we both left the Danish army.  His grandfather was British, and so his granddad's old regiment sponsored him to go to Sandhurst.

He said it SUCKED to be a cadet again and be at the bottom of the food chain - and being screamed at by sergeants - after having been a 1st Lieutenant and having worked as an infantry platoon commander.  

View Quote

He didn't get any credit for that experience at all?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If dental health is a qualifier I would imagine it's pretty tough to get in.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My best buddy joined after we both left the Danish army.  His grandfather was British, and so his granddad's old regiment sponsored him to go to Sandhurst.

He said it SUCKED to be a cadet again and be at the bottom of the food chain - and being screamed at by sergeants - after having been a 1st Lieutenant and having worked as an infantry platoon commander.  

View Quote

Yeah we hosted the Sandhurst "red" team for the Sandhurst competition, they told us they have to do a lot of retarded shit. Sounds like it blows.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]

If dental health is a qualifier I would imagine it's pretty tough to get in.
View Quote

Really.................that's all you've got
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know it's a really long 1st tour!  Like 10 or 12 years if I remember right.
View Quote

What's crazy by American standards is they can enlist you at 16.

She's about 19 IIRC.  Her mother is my (Irish) first cousin; I haven't seen the daughter since she was a toddler  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope.  It's a bit weird, because both are obviously NATO countries with close military cooperation, but if he wanted to be an officer in the British army, he apparently HAD to go through Sandhurst, and the only way to do that was as a cadet with no rank.  

He did say that it WAS probably even worse for the Saudi royalty who would be forced to clean toilets with toothbrushes, or African princes who were forces to dance for the sergeants, and things like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  It's a bit weird, because both are obviously NATO countries with close military cooperation, but if he wanted to be an officer in the British army, he apparently HAD to go through Sandhurst, and the only way to do that was as a cadet with no rank.  

He did say that it WAS probably even worse for the Saudi royalty who would be forced to clean toilets with toothbrushes, or African princes who were forces to dance for the sergeants, and things like that.

I was watching a show on youtube about Portsmouth Royal Naval College.  They had a guy going through, he was a dentist.  30 years ago he went through as a line offcer, did some time, got out and became a dentist.   now came back in. he had to do everything like a first timer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was watching a show on youtube about Portsmouth Royal Naval College.  They had a guy going through, he was a dentist.  30 years ago he went through as a line offcer, did some time, got out and became a dentist.   now came back in. he had to do everything like a first timer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like the USCG.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wish her the very best of luck and thank her for her service.

However easy or difficult she may have found it to get in, it will most certainly be the making of her.  

Professional Soldiers have my respect.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey ArfBrits, how hard is it to get into the British Army?
View Quote

Well Dan from slo-mo guys got in so....  

(The guy in the well-used labcoat)
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I remembered wrong. Britannia Royal Naval College at Dartmouth.
pretty good short series.

Here's part 1.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an irish friend that joined the Irish Guard (regiment in the British Army) in the early 80's.  Eventually be became a paratrooper.  I'm not sure if it was the guard para unit thats attached to 3 Para or a regular para unit.  I know he moved into a regular (not irish guard) unit at some point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top