BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can make more than that as a jail guard and not be stuck in the jail when you get off of work. Also the jail never sinks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$55k to be a sailor again?  Fuck you, the horse you rode in on, your family, and the horse's family.
You can make more than that as a jail guard and not be stuck in the jail when you get off of work. Also the jail never sinks.

ORLY?

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's right there in the Blue Jacket's Manual after all.

And the Marines are known to never leave their friends behind.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe if they made some better sea shantys, more people would join
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ve been sailing professionally for just under 20 yrs now. The industry sucks, it’s soul sucking at best. The bullshit seemingly knows no bounds. Further the pay has become mediocre at best. Honestly, I can’t wait to flip this industry the bird one day. I don’t know when it’ll be. It might be another 20 years, but I hope not.

There’s more than one reason they can’t find workers.

A great line I read the other day:

“When the ocean calls, I let it go to voice mail because the ocean only calls when it wants something.”
View Quote

Sounds like trucking. I’m 28 years in and finally working for an LTL company, something I should have done a long time ago, but it’s still trucking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep last I talked to my friend Brandy she said that she used to see 100 ships a day from the bar she worked at out west, now it's much less
View Quote

Does that mean they talk less about their homes?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Nobody wants to work anymore especially the young folks. Why would maritime industries be any different?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nobody wants to work anymore especially the young folks. Why would maritime industries be any different?
View Quote

The reason is that their parents coddle them. Let them stay in the house rent free. etc
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I heard it called Floating Jail many times
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The reason is that their parents coddle them. Let them stay in the house rent free. etc
View Quote
When delivering pizza full time is similar pay to this terrible job why would anyone take the terrible job?

I think over the last decade or two industries have been pretending inflation doesn't exist because they don't want to raise the price of goods and services.  Meanwhile every employee gets more and more poor.  Unskilled relatively easy full time jobs are starting at 18-20 per hour. Companies looking for skilled workers and hard labor are paying 20-25  and somehow believing that's a good wage and scratching their heads when no ody wants to do their hard shitty job with terrible work life balance just to get an extra 3-5 bucks an hour.    

If it paid 50k ten years ago it needs to pay at least 75k now if you want to get the same value of labor.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]
You are missing the point on how terrible jobs work now.

For example, when I was a hotellier, I started at the bottom, Night Audit, within 2 years, I was Managing a Hotel downtown NOLA in the quarters.

If I didn't take the COVID retirement package, I would have been an AGM in a year and a GM in another year making an easy $125,000 plus bonus and being a GM if you aren't a moron of a thief is a gravy job.

But, you have to start at the shit job, no one if hiring you to be a GM just because you have a degree or worked at McDonalds
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top