Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own both.

I much prefer the Mp-5.  Smoother, lighter, more ergonomic

My UZI feels clunky...but MUCH more durable than my Mp-5

View Quote

Pretty accurate. I know a police officer who owns both in full auto. Shoots the Uzis about 95% of the time because they are more durable and easier to repair. Those Germans make over-engineered stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Uzi! Boringly reliable,accurate and easy to suppress. Parts and service aren't made out of unobtanium.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I doubt it.  Their biggest complaint was that their Uzis would fire if you dropped it with it cocked.  We were at some parade together and the guy that said that cocked his Uzi, dropped it and the bolt slammed forward.

Seemed like a reasonable reason to hate your issue weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The German tankers I knew all carried Uzis.  They hated them so very much.   They loved the grease gun though.
Classic case of love/want stuff that "I don't have" syndrome. I bet y9u if they were issued M3 Grease Guns they'd want Uzis.  

I doubt it.  Their biggest complaint was that their Uzis would fire if you dropped it with it cocked.  We were at some parade together and the guy that said that cocked his Uzi, dropped it and the bolt slammed forward.

barring some mechanical issue or half-assed modification, that's not possible with your standard FS uzi...

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
And don't forget cheap mags!
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How is this even a competition

MP5.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Played with both enough times. Both are cool. I'd take the Uzi over the MP5. The Uzi is a more compact PDW style weapon and the MP5 is a SMG trying to be a carbine when it comes to the non "K" models.

I'd rather have a showdown between these two Cold War Wonders.

Walther MPL
http://soldierweapons.ru/Foto_6/MPL/2.jpg

vs

Beretta M12
http://www.firearmsworld.net/italy/beretta/m12/03.jpg
View Quote

Cool.

On the other side of the bracket:

Sterling Mk 4

MAT49

The winners face off in the finals!  Now we have a "BEST SMG" fight going!  

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Having owned them both---the MP5 is a lot nicer; but the fucking UZI is a dump truck.  The MP5 occasionally went down for parts.  The UZI...never did.
MP5 more accurate and controllable---UZI, a lot beefier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I got mine in the 90's.  While it is true that the prices went up after 1986, it wasn't until after 2000 that the prices really went up.

As I recall, after the MG ban, sears were $250 for a long time.  Then one day they were suddenly $500 and I knew it was time to go buy one.  

Just think... someday they will be $100k and those guys getting them now will be able to say I remember back when they were $30k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys with an HK, did you have to sell one or both kidneys?

Nope, mine were all at about $1000 each.
Up till FOPA 86, they were relatively inexpensive.

I got mine in the 90's.  While it is true that the prices went up after 1986, it wasn't until after 2000 that the prices really went up.

As I recall, after the MG ban, sears were $250 for a long time.  Then one day they were suddenly $500 and I knew it was time to go buy one.  

Just think... someday they will be $100k and those guys getting them now will be able to say I remember back when they were $30k.

shit, in the late 90's you could get a transferable M16 for barely more than a "pre-ban" colt AR-15. i remember vector still having NIB FS uzis for less than 2K in the 2002-2003 timeframe.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine too.  I've never enjoyed shooting any gun more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MP5SD3 is my grail gun.

That should tell you my answer.

Mine too.  I've never enjoyed shooting any gun more.

as a die-hard uzi guy, i gotta say the MP5SD is friggen sweet. i've always liked the integral sterling as well though.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy, an Uzi. Just my opinion here, but a 9mm subgun should be as compact as possible and not the same size as a short barreled, rifle caliber carbine that is ballistically superior (coughcoughMP5coughcough)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have both, but I'd pick the Uzi

Something like this would be perfect (but with a left side charging handle)
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with the one I own....

MP5. UZI
View Quote

MP5 is a sweet, sweet shooting gun though, would love to have one of them in the stable as well
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

barring some mechanical issue or half-assed modification, that's not possible with your standard FS uzi...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The German tankers I knew all carried Uzis.  They hated them so very much.   They loved the grease gun though.
Classic case of love/want stuff that "I don't have" syndrome. I bet y9u if they were issued M3 Grease Guns they'd want Uzis.  

I have read that some units that used Uzis developed a bad habit of taping or disabling the grip safety which lead to some dropped gun NDs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I own an M11/9 with a slow fire kit that is awesome and I've never shot one of those guns so I say they both suck and the M11 is better.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Funny, the M3 Grease Gun is an open bolt design too and would suffer the same exact issue under the same circumstances. Thank you for validateing my point of "I hate what I have and want what I can't get" syndrome.  

If they loved the M3 Grease Gun yet hated the Uzi because it is an open bolt design. It shows that your average German conscript doesn't have a clue about guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, the M3 Grease Gun is an open bolt design too and would suffer the same exact issue under the same circumstances. Thank you for validateing my point of "I hate what I have and want what I can't get" syndrome.  

If they loved the M3 Grease Gun yet hated the Uzi because it is an open bolt design. It shows that your average German conscript doesn't have a clue about guns.

I carried a grease gun for 2 years.  We drop tested them all the time.  I never had one slam the bolt forward.

I know, real world experience is always trumped by what is seen on the movies, or Miami Vice.  Silly to try and use what actual end users of the equipment can demonstrate.  

I bow to your worldliness, and accept I am simply ignorant.  Bless your heart...
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
SAS war guns were the sterlings, not the hk. Think about that for a second.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have read that some units that used Uzis developed a bad habit of taping or disabling the grip safety which lead to some dropped gun NDs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, a taped grip safety and a bent top cover might allow for *some* FS uzis to fire when dropped. The german guns had the addition of the bolt safety, which would still not allow a dropped gun to fire, though i don't recall when exactly the bolt safety was phased into production.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never fired an MP5, but I own a MAC-10 and fired Nationwide's UZI at a TX HTF machine gun shoot.

The MAC is much more fun to shoot, but that might be the faster rate of fire or the 45ACP goodness.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The MAC is much more fun to shoot, but that might be the faster rate of fire or the 45ACP goodness.

View Quote

.45A and faster RoF is awesome for range fun.... not so much for going into harm's way.

9mm, a nice heavy gun, and 600-650 RPM is the "sweet spot".
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Uzi! Boringly reliable,accurate and easy to suppress. Parts and service aren't made out of unobtanium.
View Quote

Uzi gets my vote
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
MP5 all day every day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I've shot both in full auto. MP5 for me, but the Uzi is "cooler"
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I surprised a lot of you have had issues with your mp5s and the extractors.  I never have, though I haven't put too much strain on mine.

I'm actually going to a private mini-shoot on Wednesday, which is going to have a ton of mgs to play with.  I'll get to fire an Uzi there for the first time, which sounds like a lot of fun.  I'll be bringing an extra extractor for the HK now haha.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I own transferable samples of both.  Probably had the Uzi for 12 years and the MP5 for about a decade.

The MP5 is a much better weapon from a shootability perspective.  Better sights, better ergos, cyclic rate is smoother, improved/reduced recoil impulse, superior first shot placement (being closed bolt) etc.

Sure the Uzi may be more reliable and the parts are  cheaper.  However for me (and I presume 99% of the transferable owners) machineguns are essentially range toys.   If the Uzi is slightly more reliable under battlefield conditions that has almost no translation to my usage model.  Its not like the pumpkins are going to shoot back at me if I have a part break in my MP5 and need a few minutes to change it out.

Sure parts cost more for the HK Series guns (vs. the Uzi) but if you can afford $20 to $30K for a transferable MP5, $50 magazines, $60 extractors, etc.  really shouldn't be much of a concern from a price tag perspective.

Now if I was somehow magically transported and dropped into the middle of Syria and left to fend for myself for two weeks,  I would probably take an Uzi over an MP5 as the edge in reliability (especially in dirty battlefield conditions) and is much easier to clean vs. a roller-locked gun that has a multitude of parts and requires a special chamber face brush to get the trunion area clean.

I personally prefer the regular MP5A3 vs. the K (cyclic rate is too fast) or the SD (higher cleaning requirement).

If you consider that a significant portion of transferable MP5s are sear guns and are comparing a RR Uzi to an HK Sear (plus MP5 host), the transferable HK Sear wins hands down over the Uzi.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Unlike most people here, I've owned both a transferrable Uzi and a transferrable MP5 (well, an HK94 with a Fleming sear).

An Uzi is less expensive (about half the price of a transferrable MP5), has cheaper spare parts, and can easily be converted to shoot .22LR.  IMO these are all cons for the MP5 and pros for the Uzi, in the context of a recreational machinegun shooter in the USA.  The MP5 does have some advantages in that it's lighter, shoots from a closed bolt and has better iron sights.

If someone was in the police or military and needed a 9mm subgun, the MP5 would probably be a better choice.  That said, I sold the MP5 and kept the Uzi.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like the MP5
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Having only shot the MP5. I am going to have to go with the MP5 out of the two choices.

That said I intend to get a CZ Evo sometime soon. Or if it becomes available again a PPS-43 9MM pistol.

If I were going to war and had to take a subgun the B&T TP9 would probably get the nod because it can be holstered while I use a rifle.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

While $50k seems ludicrous to you, 15 years ago $30k seemed ludicrous to me.

As the person I've quoted said, the supply of transferable HK sears is fixed, people tend to hang on to them so there aren't that many that come up for sale and the number of buyers wanting them is increasing so the price continues to go up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they exceed $50k in less than 10 more years, probably a lot less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be positively stunned if my sear ever hit $100k.  I'm gonna be breathless if it hits $50k.  It seems ludicrous.  Eventually, these things are really going to get priced out of the reach of the masses and the prices will have to level off IMO.  And I'm not sure what the future of shooting really looks like, given this generation's distain for firearms by and large.  Will we continue to see demand at these levels for these things in 20 years?  Who knows.

I think there is always going to be an adequate number of new buyers to keep the prices at least where they are at now.

the supply of transferrable MGs is microscopic compared to the population of the USA

How many HK sears or genuine pre-1945 Thompsons come up for sale each year?  20 or 30?  That's not a lot in a country of 300+ million.

I think the prices will level off in a few years.  The average joe will be priced out of the market and then the number of new buyers will level off.

I guess that's inevitable

While $50k seems ludicrous to you, 15 years ago $30k seemed ludicrous to me.

As the person I've quoted said, the supply of transferable HK sears is fixed, people tend to hang on to them so there aren't that many that come up for sale and the number of buyers wanting them is increasing so the price continues to go up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they exceed $50k in less than 10 more years, probably a lot less.

it's not about sticker shock

it's about the fact that the number of people who are potential buyers drops off rapidly as the prices go up

just about anybody would pony up $10,000 for a 1969 hemi charger

but when the price gets to $300,000 there are maybe 10 serious buyers in the whole country

price increases drop off as buyers get priced out of the market

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]
MP5SD6 has always been boner inducing for me ever since watching Navy SEALs as a boy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The UZI, if only for the fact that I can own one that works, semiauto or otherwise, for less than a left testicle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The UZI, if only for the fact that I can own one that works, semiauto or otherwise, for less than a left testicle.
View Quote

If we're sticking to the realm of realistic for most of us, MP5 clones are coming down and aren't that much more expensive than decent semi Uzis anymore.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Loved watching the MP5.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got a soft spot for the "micro UZI" otherwise known (in semi-auto without the stock) as the Uzi Pistol.   I had a cap gun version as a kid, and actually owned an Uzi pistol until the prospect of a $2500 profit at the height of the post Newtown feeding frenzy turned out to be too much to avoid.   I've been eyeing the parts kits at Numrich and wondering how hard it would be to fab up a receiver for a nice home-build.   I'll probably give it a shot this summer when I have access to a friend's industrial metal brake and a new welder.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's hard to find a more controllable sub gun than a mp5
View Quote

I used to own 2 full auto Uzis it was easy to grab one in each hand and do a mag dump . They are surprisingly accurate as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If we're sticking to the realm of realistic for most of us, MP5 clones are coming down and aren't that much more expensive than decent semi Uzis anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get new manufacture IWI uzi pistols right now for under 1k, and Century UZI carbines for $600...

If I could get an MP5 for $600 that would work, let me know...
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I have never fired an Uzi but have a serious preference for the MP5
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Uzi fan here.  For many reasons.  Wish IMI still made them for export here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
shit, in the late 90's you could get a transferable M16 for barely more than a "pre-ban" colt AR-15. i remember vector still having NIB FS uzis for less than 2K in the 2002-2003 timeframe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys with an HK, did you have to sell one or both kidneys?

Nope, mine were all at about $1000 each.

Up till FOPA 86, they were relatively inexpensive.

Prices on most MG's went up in the early 2000's except for Uzi's and M11's.  That is because there were a ton of NIB M11's dumped on the market in the late '90's and a bunch of transferable UZI bolts (that the Vectors were built with) also got dumped on the market around then.

As soon as the supply dried up, then the prices went up.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top