Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/13/2023 3:45:43 PM EDT
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - As of Sunday, it is officially illegal to operate a vehicle with the "Carolina Squat" on South Carolina roads.

The law addressing the squat defines it as a vehicle with the front or rear fender raised four or more inches higher than the other.

Warning citations will begin to be issued by South Carolina law enforcement.

However, by May 10, 2024, drivers will receive tickets and will be fined for those violations.

https://www.live5news.com/2023/11/12/carolina-squat-ban-goes-into-effect-drivers-begin-receiving-citations/

I don't like the idea of telling people what to do but damn this squat thing is stupid.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Watching Whistlin Diesel epically destroy one was oddly satisfying
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Appropriate name since it looks like shit...
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds racist. That's just part of their culture. Like childhood knife fights.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
First they came for the trucks i dont like

I think its a dumb trend too but we live in a free country and need less dumb laws
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol @ enforcing this
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
How long until the alphabet crew claims this unfairly discriminates against them?  

They might have a valid point.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it looks stupid as hell but this nanny state shit is tiresome.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yay more overreach.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
People that drive this shit probably aren't going to pay the fine or give two shits about driving on a suspending license.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t disagree with this. I lived in SC for years and got really tired of this bullshit. All the time I’d see these dudes in accidents or running over shit because they can’t see what’s in front of them. It’s definitely a road hazard not to mention how stupid and pointless it is.
They’re always the same: 20ish years old with a 102” whip CB antenna and their instagram or Snapchat name all over their back window
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m glad the state of South Carolina finally found something to put their name on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - As of Sunday, it is officially illegal to operate a vehicle with the "Carolina Squat" on South Carolina roads.

The law addressing the squat defines it as a vehicle with the front or rear fender raised four or more inches higher than the other.

However, by May 10, 2024, drivers will receive tickets and will be fined for those violations.

https://www.live5news.com/2023/11/12/carolina-squat-ban-goes-into-effect-drivers-begin-receiving-citations/

I don't like the idea of telling people what to do but damn this squat thing is stupid.
View Quote

It’s unsafe.

The driver can’t see and in an accident the front of the truck is often over the body of the other vehicles. They then smash the other car above the safety features like bumpers, reenforcing in doors and airbags deployment sensors.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long until the alphabet crew claims this unfairly discriminates against them?  

View Quote

Maybe it's changed, but before I left FL in 2020, those dumbass trucks were usually driven by some idiotic redneck kid with a flat brimmed hat.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I certainly feel safer now.   Thank God we had politicians to resolve this before it spread.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People that drive this shit probably aren't going to pay the fine or give two shits about driving on a suspending license.

View Quote

Their daddy pays the insurance and tags on said truck. They will care.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yay more overreach.
View Quote

As others have said, unsafe for others on the road. Don't see the overreach on this one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think its a dumb trend too but we live in a free country and need less dumb laws
View Quote

While I agree with this, it’s the assholes who do this to their trucks and then add million giggawatt bright LED headlights.  Those fuckers are aimed directly at passing motorist’s eyes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe it's changed, but before I left FL in 2020, those dumbass trucks were usually driven by some idiotic redneck kid with a flat brimmed hat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No white framed Oakleys?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Homosexuality is illegal again?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate most laws, but that shit is unsafe. I don't want one of those retards hitting my family because they can't see.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No white framed Oakleys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No white framed Oakleys?

Forgot to mention those.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If having low intelligence and poor taste was illegal, they’d have to arrest most of the population (and GD would be a wasteland).
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As others have said, unsafe for others on the road. Don't see the overreach on this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yay more overreach.

Drive somewhere else if you're scared.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
What if one of them made it like a monster truck, where the driver looks through a hole in the floor to see where they're going?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don’t disagree with this. I lived in SC for years and got really tired of this bullshit. All the time I’d see these dudes in accidents or running over shit because they can’t see what’s in front of them. It’s definitely a road hazard not to mention how stupid and pointless it is.
They’re always the same: 20ish years old with a 102” whip CB antenna and their instagram or Snapchat name all over their back window
View Quote

That looks like a legit safety hazard.  Also, the bumpers will not work as intended in that orientation causing increased property damage, injury, and possibly fatalities.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#27]
What if you have a truck bed full of gravel?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Never understood this at all.  Doesn’t look good or improve anything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]
All the redneck high school bro’s around here have those stupid front-only lift kits and I take every opportunity to mercilessly ridicule them for it. It’s as unsafe as it is stupid.

I saw one a few weeks ago that must have had 10” in the front and a 2” drop in the back. The rear bumper would have scraped a speed bump and there’s no f-ing way he could have seen anything in front of the truck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
What if it levels out when Midcaps crew passengers get in?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What if you have a truck bed full of gravel?
View Quote

Then you need these

https://timbren.com/products/fr1504e-ford-f-150-2015-2023-rear-kit
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/butwhy-567616.gif

Is it a safety issue?  Aren't there already safety laws on the books that would allow them to go after unsafe vehicles?  If it's not a safety issue, then WTF is the basis for it?
View Quote

As someone who has to share the road with these rigs, I have to say it is legitimately unsafe. It is my understanding the existing unsafe vehicle laws did not clearly prohibit the squat. Some of the pickups out there with a carolina squat are running a 2 feet or more difference between the front bumper and rear bumper. The safety issue is mainly the poor visibility over the pitched up hood line, and the front bumper being above most other vehicles rear bumpers to the point that the squat truck bumper could crush the roof of a passenger car without touching that cars rear bumper.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks retarded

How can they see the road and drive safely?

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#36]
This is one law that actually makes a whole bunch of sense. Coming from somebody in South Carolina.
Typically the headlights are not adjusted and blind oncoming traffic. There's also an increased chance of accidents with lack of visibility ahead of the driver. The accidents that do happen are often worse because the truck goes over the other vehicle.
flame on!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Move to a free state suckas
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Leveling kits are dumb
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Similar ban went into effect here in NC a year ago. Still see those squatted trucks around, so the law must not be enforced much.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looks retarded

https://pistonslap803189062.files.wordpress.com/2021/09/carolina-squat.jpg?w=1024&h=567&crop=1
View Quote
They can't.  They just don't give a fuck, because they aren't stopping to exchange insurance if they plow you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looks retarded

https://pistonslap803189062.files.wordpress.com/2021/09/carolina-squat.jpg?w=1024&h=567&crop=1
View Quote

They can't, but according to GD you're a pussy if you don't want to be on the road with them. You're also a bootlicking tyrant if you think they shouldn't be allowed to drive around like that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are there not existing laws on the books related to safety?

View Quote

There was nothing on the books that prevented someone squatting a truck until now. SC isn’t the first state to do it. I believe NC and VA both did it within the last couple years. The squatted truck thing is a legit safety hazard. I saw accidents all the time around town from these guys
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is one law that actually makes a whole bunch of sense. Coming from somebody in South Carolina.
Typically the headlights are not adjusted and blind oncoming traffic. There's also an increased chance of accidents with lack of visibility ahead of the driver. The accidents that do happen are often worse because the truck goes over the other vehicle.
flame on!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
flame on!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s unsafe.

The driver can’t see and in an accident the front of the truck is often over the body of the other vehicles. They then smash the other car above the safety features like bumpers, reenforcing in doors and airbags deployment sensors.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looks retarded

View Quote

For you guys thinking this is a nothing burger overreach by .gov, the picture FreFallRet posted is not some outlier. I see trucks like his picture all the time on the road.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Safety issues. They can't see over the raised hood and they don't bother readjusting their headlights so they blind everybody.

I guess they can't make douchebags illegal so this is the next best thing
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a safety issue, the driver has limited visibility. Also the bumper of the truck I higher and more likely to hit vehicle doors above most the the structure designed to protect the drive from side impact.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Amazing. The SC crowd states why it is needed but the rest of GD who doesn’t deal with it squeal.

It’s unsafe, period.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to be a prosecutor in traffic court right after law school. The laws we had really didn't foresee "hood pitched up at 40 degree angle so driver cannot see road". I mean, there are statutes and ordinances I could have used, but they wouldn't have really fit. View obstructions were more meant for like, shit hanging on your rear view mirror. I think it would have even been difficult to get them on bumper requirements. Modern (retarded) problems require modern solutions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top