Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Based on your past post, you clearly didn't know ColdBlue, an arfcom member, designed it when you called him an idiot, nor did you know he had more combat experience as an infantryman that you did, and you sure didn't know the requirements at the time and why decisions made were made. You're still just regurgitating internet myth. Search ColdBlue and read his posts, he was quite candid about the history about the why of everything on the weapon system.

And stop using the idea of longevity of the A2 as some sort of indication of effectiveness when the shorter M4 became in vogue because body armor and MOUT, two factors not exactly prevalent in early 1982-3. 

And the mid length gas system wasn't even invented until the early 90s, either by KAC or by Armalite (they argue about who did it). So its kind of hard to have used it for a rifle designed in 1983? Or should they invented a time machine first?
View Quote
I'm not attacking anyone personally; I'm saying that the people behind the A2, all of them, were wrong. No one guy was responsible for the travesty that was the A2--That took the entire defense department. The end result was a disastrous waste of money, and demonstrably stupid. The way the system is set up, Albert 'Effin Einstein would probably be unable to do much better.

The thing that pisses me off, looking back? How much money was wasted by the system. If you go looking, all the information was there to produce a superior weapon; we just didn't make use of it. The Army didn't really give a damn, and just went along to get along. The Marines essentially built themselves the ideal weapon for their qualification range, and failed to recognize that the enemy isn't going to give you time to put on your shooting jacket, adjust your sling and sights, and then remain sitting there for you to take your time and deliberately aim at them.

That being the case, the choices made of where to spend their money for that program? Utterly wasted. The money for that flippin' multi-adjustable all-range sight could have gone into effective night sights, and we'd have actually gotten something to show for it. As it was, the A2 rear sight is actually of about as much use as those 1000m sights on the old Mauser Broomhandle, for 90% of the people it was issued to. Including the Marines--I had a bunch of former Marines work for me in the Army, and none of them ever, once, could recall a single time they'd actually used those sights effectively under combat conditions. RCO? Hell, yes... The A2 iron sights? LOL... By the time you got those things adjusted, whatever you were going to shoot at was usually under cover. Waste. Of. Money. Money that should have gone into something else in the A2 program, like night sights I mentioned, or better barrels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Look, I was there; there were better weapons on the world market, in a lot of respects besides the ergonomics. I owned a Valmet M76 in 5.56mm that was a damn tack driver out past what I could do with my issue Colt M16A2. It had a shorter barrel, built-in night sights, and was impossible to jam. It was also a folding stock, and a hell of a lot more compact. So, yeah... There actually were better weapons available, although I still prefer the human engineering on the M16 series.

The handwriting was on the wall as early as the Son Tay Raid--The issue M16 was too big, too bulky, and there were superior sights available. Even the Israelis and Finns were smart enough to put luminous night sights on their standard-issue weapon, something that apparently was a bridge too far for the A2 program.

The A2 looked really good to me, as a Sergeant helping run the company arms room. It was new, not worn out, and it sure seemed cool. When we got our first ones there around '88, it was the latest, greatest thing--But, looking back at it, from the vantage point of today, after spending 25 years on active duty? It was emphatically not what it should have been.

The major things wrong with the A2 design was that it failed to take into account a lot of the actual lessons of Vietnam, namely that even the M16A1 was too damn big, especially for what the cartridge offered. As well, there were a bunch of things that were added that were entirely useless, like that sight they took from the Colt LMG. The premise of that thing is flatly insane--Probably 90% of your shots in combat are taken at fleeting glimpses of the enemy at random ranges out to around 300-400m max, and they're giving us an insanely adjustable sight that's only really superior to the A1 sights past those ranges? Oh, and they didn't bother to give us any sort of night sight, when they had the opportunity? Don't even get me started on all the other things that a real "Product Improvement Program" should have meant, like better corrosion-proofing and coatings. Or, as another example that the Canadians were putting on their version of the M16, cold hammer-forged barrels with superior accuracy and life.

Let's face the facts of the matter: The A2 program was tasked with producing a better combat rifle. What it actually provided the troops was a superior range toy that didn't address many of the problems of the A1 at all effectively. And, when a better combat rifle came along, by accident, the A2 was dropped like a hot potato--That's how "right" the A2 program got it. The A2 actually had one of the shortest service lives as a front line combat weapon in American history, when you get down to it--It was finally fielded in mass numbers by the late '80s, and was undergoing mass replacement in the infantry formations with the M4 by about '95. That tell you anything?

The M4 itself is another travesty of poor program management; it was originally intended as a handier, more easily-carried weapon for self-defense by support troops. Because of that, they really never did thorough ballistic testing to see if it maintained lethality to the full range that the A2 did with the standard ammunition. Turns out, it did not--And, we didn't really discover that until the 2000s, when we finally did something about it. In the middle of a freakin' war. What year was Somalia, when that first appeared in combat situations, and what year did we get M855A1 into mass issue, again...?

There were apocryphal reports of lethality issues with the M4 and some of the similar weapons that the Rangers and Delta were using in Somalia. Nobody in the procurement system thought to do anything effective about it until reports started coming back in from Afghanistan, over ten years later, and the military started getting bad  press about it. Thus, the M855A1, which itself has some issues.

Then, there's the pathway by which the M4 became our standard individual weapon for front-line combat troops. If you recall, the thing was supposed to be for support troops like artillery and engineers, as well as drivers and such-like in infantry units. The original plan was, A2 for line infantry, M4 for support troops.

Only thing is, that's not how it worked out. Once the M4 started coming into the line units, and people got their hands on it, all of a sudden we're diverting them from the support bubbas over to the front-line combat troops.

Huh. Funny, that. Kinda makes you wonder about the whole "The A2 is the ultimate expression of the M16 as a combat weapon..." idea, doesn't it?

To me, looking back, it appears as though the A2 program was a rathole we never should have gone down--And, if you go back and look at the available information, that should have been clear. Just like the idea of an intermediate-caliber assault rifle should have been clear to the guys who adopted the M14...

There is copious literature available in DTIC from Army Research Laboratories, discussing the shortcomings of the M16A1 that were identified in Vietnam--With the recommendations that it be replaced with something shorter and handier.

For more handwriting on the wall, you can look where they tested and prototyped red-dot sights shortly after Vietnam. Colonel Bull Simon was the guy who put those on his men's carbines for the Son Tay Raid, where they proved themselves under fire. Post-Son Tay Raid reports recommended that such sights be investigated for general issue and use.

Took Big Army until the 2000s to pay attention, and realize the superiority of that sighting system over iron sights, especially under combat conditions where fussy little adjustable iron sights aren't really of use until you're in a situation where you really ought to be engaging with either your indirect fire, or your damn snipers in the first place.

No, to be honest, I'm going to stick to my position that the A2 and M4 should never have happened in the first place, and they should have paid attention to the actual lessons of Vietnam, developing something that would have looked a lot more like the M27 than anything else. Hell, Colt was even offering pistons back in the 1980s and 1990s, if we'd have wanted them...

TL;DR--The M16A2 was a mistake we shouldn't have made, and the M4 just compounded the error. Marines finally got the individual weapon right with the M27, in terms of size/barrel length. Piston, maybe not so much. Cost? Sure as hell not...
View Quote
it sounds like you're looking at the early 80's though 21st century colored glasses
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's a mistake to assume that the greater popularity of the M4 automatically means it is superior.  Soldiers are virtually guaranteed to prefer a lighter, shorter weapon over a longer, heavier one unless they find themselves in a fight where the smaller one proves itself inferior.  Most of us spend a lot of time carrying our weapons and little if any time firing them in combat.
View Quote
The M4 isn't what we ought to be carrying, either. I never said it was superior, only that it was less flawed than the A2 version of the M16.

There's a design principle in civil engineering, where you let the users do your sidewalk layouts. Because you can't predict the paths they're going to take using your buildings, you build them, and then go back after a year to observe where all the paths are cut through your landscaping. Then, you build your sidewalks to match...

With small arms, the geniuses in procurement keep theorizing and buying; then the users, out on the line, figure out what they really need, and that's what they do. In WWII, the M1 Carbine was supposed to be the thing for support troops alone; what did it become? A de facto precursor assault rifle, used by a lot of line infantrymen. Why? Size and handiness... Sounds sorta... Familiar, doesn't it?

Likewise, the theorists in Germany thought "Oh, we'll issue this Sturmgewehr, and we can take the MG42 out of the line squads, keep 'em up at company...". Nope; didn't work, and the idea of a pure-fleet intermediate cartridge solution in the line squads died a quiet death. Soviets, after the war? Tried the same shit; didn't work, and we now see where they've been using a dual-cartridge solution since forever, and appear to be planning on keeping it.

US Army and Marines thought they'd pure-fleet on an M14/M15 solution; didn't work, went to a belt-fed M60 and the M16A1. Kept that until the M249 came in, and then after a bit, decided that no, we really do need that heavier belt-fed 7.62mm.

You can see where I'm going with this, right? While the M4 wasn't planned as a replacement for the M16A2, that's what it became--Because it answered the needs of the user better than what the brilliant planners gave those users.

It's those friggin' users, man... The designers and architects keep making these idealized plans, and then reality slaps the crap out of them, and we find out what is really necessary. What's unfortunate is that we keep wasting money on things that we really should know better than to do--And, I'll contend that the A2 and the M4 were both things we should have known better about doing, even with what information was available.

I know it's hard to believe, but I can't find anywhere that they did comparative ballistic testing of the M4, in order to see if it still produced the same effective lethality of the A2 with M855--Not before procurement, not after they shifted it over to the front-line individual weapon role, and not until mid-way through the current unpleasantness. Which is flatly mind-boggling, to me. If anyone can point to where they did do that, I'd love to see it, because I've never seen where such testing was conducted. Ever.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I loved my M16A2, but I was a POG so I only used it on the range for yearly qualification.
View Quote
Same here. I have a couple optic equipped carbines for hunting(.450 Bushmaster and .357AR) and a varminter, as well as a 10.5" pistol but greatly prefer the longer barrel and fixed handle pf my A2.

Collapsible carbine stocks, you can keep. Even my 16" guns have fixed stocks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually just shot an A2 with my reserve unit over the weekend.  I agree with all that the M4 offers significant advantages over the 16A2, but those FN 16A2s shoot really well and I was pretty damn impressed how it shot with 855A1, irons and a meh (compared to the geissele triggers in my personal ARs) trigger.

Definitely not my first choice to deploy with, but I'd have the utmost faith in its capabilities if I was handed one and told to make do with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
S/N 7014693

No idea how I still remember that.
View Quote
Not terribly far from mine. 7188801.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of my experience was with the Army Infantry & A1's.  I loved them.  They just worked.  Not perfect.  But lightweight and the fun switch would dump a mag pronto.  I got out and transferred to the USAFR & then the NG.  Shot an A2 once or twice.  Mehhh (could be nostalgia)?

I just built a retro A1 rifle from a parts kit.  My God man she's ugly as hell and beat up, but she shoots great.  Nothing like a pencil barrel!  However, my absolute favorite AR on the planet is the Troy Industries GAU-5 rifle (USAF version of the XM177).  For whatever reason this has been the most accurate, reliable, and fun AR I've ever put my hands on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The 16th MP Bde patch checks out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The M4 with an RDS or ACOG is better in every measurement. I have no nostalgia for the A2.
View Quote
Yeah, I'd argue the M4 is the single greatest small arm ever created for the Rifleman in US History.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The M4 with an RDS or ACOG is better in every measurement. I have no nostalgia for the A2.
View Quote
So you do have nostalgia?

Technically...
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much the dumbest fucking firearm to have to shoulder with a dry suit and body armor... or trying to use iron sights doing 40kt in a boat. We should have adopted a red dot M4 in like 2002. Fuck the A2
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
It functioned OK, but it was immediately apparent that it was influenced by known-distance-range BS, and solidified my opinion that the USMC is too stupid to be trusted with weapons acquisition (see also: short distance eye-relief ACOGs on the long buttstock A4, everything about the M45A1, adopting an expensive Italian bird gun instead of more M4 carbines, etc.)

I don't give a shit that I ShOuLd kNoW tHaT An ArFcOm mEmBeR HeLpEd DeSiGn tHe a2, he can accept some criticism for turning an almost perfect combat carbine into a target rifle with a bunch of ergonomic WTFs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I loved mine. Colt m16a2, 6340345. It was a great rifle and I built a clone of it several years later
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Good rifle. But the M4 is a lot easier to get in and out of a Hummv with. My 2cents.... I was Aviation in regulars and support in the Guard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Incredibly fascinating thread, this kind of shit is why I read arfcom.

I loved my M16A2, I was a marksmanship instructor as a young pup with that rifle and learned the most important shit that I know about being a rifleman with those rifles

Definitely easier to shoot accurately with a high volume of fire because the motherfucker weighed way more than it needed too lol

If you are going to shoot irons I think the sight-radius is a huge factor.  Back then we weren't preparing to equip every tom dick and harry with tech / optics we were preparing to pass out rifles for world war III.  To this day I can outshoot most dickheads with their fancy optics using just A2 iron sights, CQB / competition or service rifle shit
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Also barrel length for MOUT / CQB clearing structures does become an issue and a clear disadvantage especially with modern battle rattle, but anybody whinning about weight needs to sack the fuck up my opinion
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
This is also another good example of why women shouldn't be in the military because no bullshit if you aren't at least 6 foot tall like i am the LOP was, excessive, (for anything but shooting motherfuckers from far way lol)
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
There is no such thing as a perfect weapon system for every possible situation but I would gladly fight with an M16A2 if called upon
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I started off on a 20in. I love the short barrel rifles, but something still draws me back to the muskets. I am building two M16A4 clones now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I carried the a1 and a2 .   I liked them both.  But preferred the A1.   Weight and rugged simple sights.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I liked it.
But I liked the M60 better...
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This x a million.

I carried the A2 almost my entire USMC career until my last deployment to AFG where I finally got an M-4.  On top of that I had been an M4gery owner for many years concurrently so I knew what the differences were.

It handled and balanced well but I always felt the A2 was too long.

The current M-4 should serve the US military well enough until they introduce the 10mm caseless or 40 watt plasma rifle.

A new rifle/carbine in a new whatever conventional cartridge just isn't worth it until a leap ahead technology.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Issued the A1 in OSUT, A2 at my unit. I preferred full auto to burst. I'd rather have a CAR-15 over either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
With irons?  Meh.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#25]
3 round burst is dumb. An optic on top of the carry handle was odd and too high. Never had an A4, I feel it would have been much better for optic mounting. The M4A1 is my favorite. Full auto if needed, ACOG, adj. stock. Last unit we had MagPul CTR and K2 grips with the Knights RIS Kit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#26]
It's ok. They're not a great fighting rifle by today's standards, but it's nice to qual with. I plan on getting one just for nostalgia's sake, but that's the only reason to get one today IMO.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I was issued an A1..
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#28]
It was a nice, light, handy carbine that I always enjoyed using/carrying. But I was a SAW gunner.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This 150%.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What if I told you...scopes such as the ACOG up to 4.5x and the M5 RAS rail for the M16A4 sre authorized for service rifle matches now?

To answer the OP- I didn't mind my A2 as a private. I liked my M16A4 I got later better.  I actually liked the A4 over the M4 at first, but I am very tall and the M4 was weird to get used to. I now very much appreciate the Mk18 over all of the above.
View Quote
I know they are, I just like shooting KD with the A2 carry handle. I'll throw my TA01NSN on there when I get bored of the irons, but I'll probably keep the A2 handguards just because I like them.

My plan is to build or buy clones of every type of rifle I was issued. No practical reason for it, just something to do because I want to.

So far, my list is:

Colt M4 carbine w/carry handle and std. handguards (OSUT, 2003)

Colt M16A2 (First home station unit qualification, 2004)

Colt M4 carbine with Aimpoint Comp M3 and std. handguards (Iraq, 2005)

Colt M4 carbine with Aimpoint M4 and KAC rail (Afghanistan, 2010)

Colt M4A1 with TA31 ACOG, KAC rail (Africa, 2018)

Aero Precision 10.5" shorty with Magpul flip up sights (DoS PSS training, 2018)

Bushmaster XM15A2 16" carbine (Current issue rifle)
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I didn't have an issue with the A2 itself. We had the misfortune that when we were upgraded to A2s, we got half Colts and half FNs. My FN had a lousy trigger pull. The guys in the unit much preferred being issued a Colt over an FN
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The M4 isn't what we ought to be carrying, either. I never said it was superior, only that it was less flawed than the A2 version of the M16.

There's a design principle in civil engineering, where you let the users do your sidewalk layouts. Because you can't predict the paths they're going to take using your buildings, you build them, and then go back after a year to observe where all the paths are cut through your landscaping. Then, you build your sidewalks to match...

With small arms, the geniuses in procurement keep theorizing and buying; then the users, out on the line, figure out what they really need, and that's what they do. In WWII, the M1 Carbine was supposed to be the thing for support troops alone; what did it become? A de facto precursor assault rifle, used by a lot of line infantrymen. Why? Size and handiness... Sounds sorta... Familiar, doesn't it?

Likewise, the theorists in Germany thought "Oh, we'll issue this Sturmgewehr, and we can take the MG42 out of the line squads, keep 'em up at company...". Nope; didn't work, and the idea of a pure-fleet intermediate cartridge solution in the line squads died a quiet death. Soviets, after the war? Tried the same shit; didn't work, and we now see where they've been using a dual-cartridge solution since forever, and appear to be planning on keeping it.

US Army and Marines thought they'd pure-fleet on an M14/M15 solution; didn't work, went to a belt-fed M60 and the M16A1. Kept that until the M249 came in, and then after a bit, decided that no, we really do need that heavier belt-fed 7.62mm.

You can see where I'm going with this, right? While the M4 wasn't planned as a replacement for the M16A2, that's what it became--Because it answered the needs of the user better than what the brilliant planners gave those users.

It's those friggin' users, man... The designers and architects keep making these idealized plans, and then reality slaps the crap out of them, and we find out what is really necessary. What's unfortunate is that we keep wasting money on things that we really should know better than to do--And, I'll contend that the A2 and the M4 were both things we should have known better about doing, even with what information was available.

I know it's hard to believe, but I can't find anywhere that they did comparative ballistic testing of the M4, in order to see if it still produced the same effective lethality of the A2 with M855--Not before procurement, not after they shifted it over to the front-line individual weapon role, and not until mid-way through the current unpleasantness. Which is flatly mind-boggling, to me. If anyone can point to where they did do that, I'd love to see it, because I've never seen where such testing was conducted. Ever.
View Quote
Gen Mattis signed the Lethality Task Force something memo years back, the testing/results sit on my .gov computer, FOUO stuff, you’re tracking though.
LPVOs will be the wave of the future boys and girls.

As a side note ref the SCAR16, the results of the combat trials (actually used in combat by the 75th Ranger Regt/ other SOF) is it did nothing better than a well maintained M4 at 5 plus times the cost.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#33]
3 round burst was and is stupid.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Thread does need more pics, though.

Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#37]
If you want a gun to shoot irons, the A2 is the way to go.  I wasn't crazy about the gooseneck mounts when the M68's got fielded Army wide, or mounting the ACOG to the carrying handle.  LOP has never been an issue for me, even with an IBA or IOTV.  The guys bitching about its 3-round burst are hilarious, everything had 3-round burst until a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mine was made by FN, solid rifle, three round burst was dumb.
View Quote
Same here.

Length of pull was too "Marine Sharpshooter" as we were transitioning into upright warfare. MP's don't need a long ass rifle. The front handguard was much fatter which made gripping it less easy, the hand grip with nub was annoying. After a few years you just put up with it, but you remembered when the A - Nothing was slicker and less cumbersome.

Goes to build preferences now, slimmest handguards I can find on the market and Troy or Magpul pistol grips. I don't deer hunt in the prone position, all the "improvements" for Marines to score higher in qualification didn't mean squat to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I got lucky in bootcamp, I had a good rifle.  Some of them were minute of a dog target.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Some of my pics from an AMU all Army service rifle competition in 2006 at Ft. Benning. Fun matches if you ever get the chance:

Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I loved mine...

Never jammed on me and was easy to shoot and accurate for anything I ever shot at.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Used M16A1's made by GM. Never saw an A2 at the time. I had a Colt AR-15 SP1 and I replaced the buttstock, pistol grip and handguards with the A2 style as I found them superior.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I was impressed that the  A2 rifle which rattled, had the crown cleaned with a cleaning rod for years and had more finish worn off from excessive cleaning than actual firing could nail the hell out of the target at 500 meters consistently using only irons.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

I can't get my head around why the USMC loves such a long length of pull. I am 5'11" and A2 stocks and the Benelli M4 C-stock are a bit long for me not wearing armor. I like my SP1 length a lot better.

I always wondered why they didn't go with a shorter LOP and offer a spacer kit for anyone who wants it longer. I believe that's what Canada did with the C7/C7A1 until they just put a collapsible stock on every rifle (the C7A2.)
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I Love that “Colt gray” anodizing

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Was issues an A2 and later an m4 . While the m4 was nice weight wise . I did like the A2 quite a bit better
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365646/wert_jpg-955168.JPG

I can't get my head around why the USMC loves such a long length of pull. I am 5'11" and A2 stocks and the Benelli M4 C-stock are a bit long for me not wearing armor. I like my SP1 length a lot better.

I always wondered why they didn't go with a shorter LOP and offer a spacer kit for anyone who wants it longer. I believe that's what Canada did with the C7/C7A1 until they just put a collapsible stock on every rifle (the C7A2.)
View Quote
That shit might fly today, but the military of the 80's, 90's, and 2000's wasn't about to give an option to anyone, its all about uniformity.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I had both an A1 and A2. I have long arms so the A2 fit me better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you want a gun to shoot irons, the A2 is the way to go.  I wasn't crazy about the gooseneck mounts when the M68's got fielded Army wide, or mounting the ACOG to the carrying handle.  LOP has never been an issue for me, even with an IBA or IOTV.  The guys bitching about its 3-round burst are hilarious, everything had 3-round burst until a couple years ago.
View Quote
Wat?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top