Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Word in the trees is to stay away from Stihl silver or platinum (whatever they call it) oil.
View Quote
Stihl hp ultra synthetic does not perform very well as you say.

I only use the orange bottle and mix 40:1.
No problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No problems with it.
View Quote

I keep hearing this and there are too many forum threads regarding oil, but I have yet to stumble across one that provides solid evidence of HP Ultra being bad or solely at fault for engine failure.

So what is it about this oil that is bad?  Can someone point to specific cases where it caused engine failure?  I'm asking because I've been running this oil in 5 saws and a Stihl edger for 5 years now, at 50:1, and haven't noticed anything.  I'm tempted to pull mufflers and look at the piston.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I keep hearing this and there are too many forum threads regarding oil, but I have yet to stumble across one that provides solid evidence of HP Ultra being bad or solely at fault for engine failure.

So what is it about this oil that is bad?  Can someone point to specific cases where it caused engine failure?  I'm asking because I've been running this oil in 5 saws and a Stihl edger for 5 years now, at 50:1, and haven't noticed anything.  I'm tempted to pull mufflers and look at the piston.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problems with it.

A couple of the chainsaw and outdoor equipment sites had the info.

Some of it was that it is a dated oil that does not protect as well as it use to.
(I have run across this on some snogo oils and had to change)

If I run across it again I will post screen shots or links.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Some of it was that it is a dated oil that does not protect as well as it use to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problems with it.

From what I remember it came down to two oil choices which was #1 the Echo brand and #2 the Husky.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d like to see it too….since Stihl recommends the ultra and even extends the saw’s warranty a year if you buy a 6 pack with the saw. So either Stihl thinks it’s good or is counting on people forgetting they have the longer warranty when their saw breaks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’d like to see it too….since Stihl recommends the ultra and even extends the saw’s warranty a year if you buy a 6 pack with the saw. So either Stihl thinks it’s good or is counting on people forgetting they have the longer warranty when their saw breaks.
View Quote

Or the other side it is good enough to get pass the extended warranty period then the tool dies?

I think that if you use any quality 2-cycle oil and go with the recommended ratio or slightly richer, and use NON-ETHANOL gas your tool will last a fairly decent amount of time.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or the other side it is good enough to get pass the extended warranty period then the tool dies?

I think that if you use any quality 2-cycle oil and go with the recommended ratio or slightly richer, and use NON-ETHANOL gas your tool will last a fairly decent amount of time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything is possible but as an engineer in a manufacturing environment my guess is the engineering department at Stihl put out a minimum requirement spec for the oil, purchasing found a few vendors that would meet or exceed the spec, senior leadership pushed to the lowest cost product that meets the minimum spec.

I agree with the bold part 100%.....I think a lot of the "oil wars" in the 2-cycle world are like the Ford vs Chevy thing.  Some advantages from brand to brand are measurable and some are just opinions based on "I grew up using that brand".  Quality gas is probably the thing that screws people up the most.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Anything is possible but as an engineer in a manufacturing environment my guess is the engineering department at Stihl put out a minimum requirement spec for the oil, purchasing found a few vendors that would meet or exceed the spec, senior leadership pushed to the lowest cost product that meets the minimum spec.

I agree with the bold part 100%.....I think a lot of the "oil wars" in the 2-cycle world are like the Ford vs Chevy thing.  Some advantages from brand to brand are measurable and some are just opinions based on "I grew up using that brand".  Quality gas is probably the thing that screws people up the most.
View Quote
This is for 2-stroke snogos.

Polaris had a formulation of synthetic oil that was the tits but later found it would incourage rusting,run hotter and also not stick to the metal.

It maybe the same with the stihl ultra.

I use the orange bottle stihl and so far no problems but I do mix for 40:1.
Dealer only carries the orange bottle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy  has many videos about it.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cliffs? Which oil and what ratio for stihl pro saws?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most new saws are capable of running E10 without hurting the saw. It is better to run higher octane with oil that has fuel stabilizer (which more 2 stroke oils do) than to run too low an octane that is ethanol free.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cliffs? Which oil and what ratio for stihl pro saws?
View Quote
Any JASO FD oil will be fine. Stihl Ultra does not meet this spec, does not leave residual oil in the crankcase and has smoked crank bearings. For me, at a minimum 40:1 and 32:1 won't hurt anything. What you want is residual oil left in the bottom if you were to remove the jug. Many have done just that and 32:1 is a very safe bet.

In 2 cycle engines, the oil in the mix drops out of suspension when it meets the hot crankcase. It migrates slowly out of the case into the cylinder. There has to be enough where some is left over.

50:1 in blowers and other light load engines is probably fine but saws are not light load engines.

Echo Red Armor is highly regarded and is readily available. Amsoil is great but don't fall for the 100:1 BS. VP oil is good and available at WM.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most new saws are capable of running E10 without hurting the saw. It is better to run higher octane with oil that has fuel stabilizer (which more 2 stroke oils do) than to run too low an octane that is ethanol free.
View Quote

The saw may be fine running E10, the issue is the water that it attracts to the fuel, especially hear on the wetside of WA.  So if using E10 fuel, you need to use very fresh fuel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched a lot of his videos.  Anyone who opens with yelling "this oil sucks" loses credibility in my book.  Given the sheer numbers of videos he has produced bashing this product, this guy comes off as an angry old man with a personal vendetta against Stihl oil.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The saw may be fine running E10, the issue is the water that it attracts to the fuel, especially hear on the wetside of WA.  So if using E10 fuel, you need to use very fresh fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, sorry should have clarified only make small batches of fuel if E10
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I watched a lot of his videos.  Anyone who opens with yelling "this oil sucks" loses credibility in my book.  Given the sheer numbers of videos he has produced bashing this product, this guy comes off as an angry old man with a personal vendetta against Stihl oil.
View Quote
He is right about the stihl ultra oil.

Others are seeing the damage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent another couple of hours surfing for answers tonight and hit on a few things that would steer me away from HP Ultra

1) It's biodegradable in 21 days and only has a shelf life of 4 years.  This is a flag that Stihl is pushing environmental concerns over engine protection.  (sidebar, but I'm tired of them ramming electric chainsaws down my throat in ads)  I already hate the fixed oilers of the newer saws like the MS291 that only oil the bar at the minimum rate that was available on the older MS290s.  There is evidence that Stihl is pushing a environmental agenda over performance.

2) JASO ratings.  Stihl HP Ultra is only rated at JASO FB, while Red Armor is rated at FD.  Now lubricity is SUPPOSE to be the same between FB, FC, and FD, but with better detergents, there are plenty of videos showing Red Armor cleaning up combustion chambers and spark arrestors.  Now this may be due to the users testing Red Armor running their equipment at WOT for full tanks, so heating may be a factor.  However carbon buildup is never a good thing for engines.  Carbon clogs the exhaust and can create hot spots on the piston that lead to detonation.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I spent another couple of hours surfing for answers tonight and hit on a few things that would steer me away from HP Ultra

1) It's biodegradable in 21 days and only has a shelf life of 4 years.  This is a flag that Stihl is pushing environmental concerns over engine protection.  (sidebar, but I'm tired of them ramming electric chainsaws down my throat in ads)  I already hate the fixed oilers of the newer saws like the MS291 that only oil the bar at the minimum rate that was available on the older MS290s.  There is evidence that Stihl is pushing a environmental agenda over performance.

2) JASO ratings.  Stihl HP Ultra is only rated at JASO FB, while Red Armor is rated at FD.  Now lubricity is SUPPOSE to be the same between FB, FC, and FD, but with better detergents, there are plenty of videos showing Red Armor cleaning up combustion chambers and spark arrestors.  Now this may be due to the users testing Red Armor running their equipment at WOT for full tanks, so heating may be a factor.  However carbon buildup is never a good thing for engines.  Carbon clogs the exhaust and can create hot spots on the piston that lead to detonation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only there was a way to drill three 3/8 or 10mm holes in the baffles to let that engine purr!
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#20]

I dunno. How many rounds will it take to cut down a tree? Seems like it will be cost more to run this vs a traditional saw.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I dunno. How many rounds will it take to cut down a tree? Seems like it will be cost more to run this vs a traditional saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That look, when you run out of ammo and the tree is still standing
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That look, when you run out of ammo and the tree is still standing
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/fuckin_tree-2627942.jpg
View Quote

"Long tall Sally, she's built for speed, she got everything that Uncle John need! Oh baby, ohhh baby."

Bill Duke aced that scene.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I've used Stihl HP Ultra in tons of saws/equipment over the years with no issues over hundreds of galllons.  All of this was ethanol free fuel.

That said I wouldn't hesitate to use Stihl high performance as well.

Only one saw doesn't like mix your own fuel and thats my Echo 2511t.  She is a picky bitch so she gets 93 octane premix.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've used Stihl HP Ultra in tons of saws/equipment over the years with no issues over hundreds of galllons.  All of this was ethanol free fuel.

That said I wouldn't hesitate to use Stihl high performance as well.

Only one saw doesn't like mix your own fuel and thats my Echo 2511t.  She is a picky bitch so she gets 93 octane premix.
View Quote

It loves the Echo pre-mix, but it really loves this

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think Stihl took the adjustable oilers off all but the pro series saws to help market the pro series and get people to upgrade….combined with many homeowners not knowing enough to adjust it right….and making homeowner series saws cheaper.

It could be environmental reasons but I normally lean towards “follow the money” first.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#26]

@rtlm

I will give that a go!  I've seen some info on yours you posted before, did you do all the work?  I'd love to find someone to pimp mine, its by far lightest saw.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@rtlm

I will give that a go!  I've seen some info on yours you posted before, did you do all the work?  I'd love to find someone to pimp mine, its by far lightest saw.
View Quote

A guy above posted an aftermarket exhaust from Egan.
After modifying my exhaust on the 2511, I’d buy what he did.
All you need then is to retune the carb.

The 2511 with an exhaust mod and carb tune is a different saw than factory.
Removing limit caps and tuning it is easy.

@1shortofpar
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Posted in another thread, but needs to be here also:

Here is a Great chainsaw forum, especialy the Hot Saw sectioin

ArboristSite4.com
Hot Saws!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#29]
*WE INTERRUPT THIS CHAINSAW THREAD TO BRING YOU UP TO THE DATE INFORMATION*

Quoted:
ALERT

If between now and Monday evening, Arf can raise $2000.00 for St. Jude, a very generous anonymous donor will match that for a total of $4000.00 (and anything up to the 2K).

Let's hit it!!!
View Quote

**OFFICIAL** 2022 ARFCOM St. Jude Children's Hospital Fundraiser! MATCHING DRIVE!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Uhmmmm....

I'm speaking at a lawncare event tomorrow and there was a "pre-event" at a power equipment shop tonight.   I was like fate intervened...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20221209_191359-2629965.jpg
View Quote

Nice, very nice.
And that is a clean and organized dealership.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Uhmmmm....

I'm speaking at a lawncare event tomorrow and there was a "pre-event" at a power equipment shop tonight.   I was like fate intervened...

View Quote

The 500i is nice especially after you have it ported and get some real nice HP.

My Dyno test.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belray H1R master race

There are a lot of good oils out there. I wouldn’t even consider stihl ultra.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Wish I had some wood to rip through tomorrow, but alas I do not.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Uhmmmm....

View Quote

Nice!!!!  

Lucky
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#37]
On a side note, was just chatting with a guy in Germany.
He had to take a class and pass it to get a license to operate a chainsaw, publicly or commercially. It cost him $135 and feels lucky about it because the class following his had a rate increase to $160.

JFC !!!

"I've gotten a paper with foto and ID pretty much like a drivers license which says i'm legally allowed to operate "fuel motor saws"

"?Electric falls under the same catagory"
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He had to take a class and pass it to get a license to operate a chainsaw, publicly or commercially. It cost him $135 and feels lucky about it because the class following his had a rate increase to $160.

JFC !!!

"I've gotten a paper with foto and ID pretty much like a drivers license which says i'm legally allowed to operate "fuel motor saws"

View Quote

Damn man, unreal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

JFC !!!

View Quote

There is your moar gubmint
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

JFC !!!

View Quote

Turbo gay
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I was talking to a neighbor down the road who bought a cheap import top handle off Amazon…says he tried to use it once and it didn’t run right. He offered to sell it to me for $50.

I told him the carb probably needed adjusted and I’d help him out….but he doesn’t want to mess with it.

I’m going to stop by and look at it next week and will probably buy it from him. Figure if nothing else it will let me try and top handle and decide if I’ll actually use one. If I like it I’ll end up picking up the Echo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I got into some action after all, forty feet from my house lol. Roommate's girlfriend lives next door and they had a smallish cedar that needed to come down. Last hurricane twisted the top out and sent it into the cedar beside it so it was good and hung. Used a ladder to get me up to where I could build an anchor. Set to work with my 201 to cut it free, then faced it and wedged 'er over with the 461. Easy peasy minus all the targets; very close-quarters here on the island. All the neighbors were on their back porches watching me hoping I'd fuck something up.

"Shit," they whispered. "He actually knows what he's doing."

Went ahead and split some rounds with my only axe, a Fiskars X15; not ideal but it worked and we got firewood for tonight.

And I will say, the Eagan filter makes the 461 sound like it's supercharged, lol. It spools up and whistles with that thing in there.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I got into some action after all, forty feet from my house lol. Roommate's girlfriend lives next door and they had a smallish cedar that needed to come down. Last hurricane twisted the top out and sent it into the cedar beside it so it was good and hung. Used a ladder to get me up to where I could build an anchor. Set to work with my 201 to cut it free, then faced it and wedged 'er over with the 461. Easy peasy minus all the targets; very close-quarters here on the island. All the neighbors were on their back porches watching me hoping I'd fuck something up.

"Shit," they whispered. "He actually knows what he's doing."

Went ahead and split some rounds with my only axe, a Fiskars X15; not ideal but it worked and we got firewood for tonight.

And I will say, the Eagan filter makes the 461 sound like it's supercharged, lol. It spools up and whistles with that thing in there.

https://i.imgur.com/3lP6wK5.jpg
View Quote

That will smell so nice when it burns!
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#44]
440 still makes me grin.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks.
Just said screw it and ordered a 6 pack of 2.6 oz bottles Stihl HP. 20 bucks delivered and will be here tomorrow.
That makes 6 gallons of mix, so I should be good with it for quite some time.
View Quote

Personally, I stay away from Stihl oil. I use red armor in my blower.
The professionals on other web sites have some horror stories about using Stihl oil.
Edit: already addressed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The 500i is nice especially after you have it ported and get some real nice HP.

My Dyno test.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20221026_163110-2577305.jpg
View Quote

Have you or anyone else compared the Egan versus the West Coast bark box?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Personally, I stay away from Stihl oil. I use red armor in my blower.
The professionals on other web sites have some horror stories about using Stihl oil.
View Quote

Well that's comforting to know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I’ve run Stihl oil going back to the mid 90’s… can’t say that I’ve had any issues with it… that being said I think the red armor is a better oil having switched to it last year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That will smell so nice when it burns!
View Quote

It smells SO good. This is probably a really dumb observation but I was able to split all that right after I dropped and bucked it. Is cedar generally that dry and splittable right off the stump? The top was twisted and partially broken but still alive. My roommate tried to burn a little bit last night but said it was smokey and not burning very well, so I'm assuming that means it's still green.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It smells SO good. This is probably a really dumb observation but I was able to split all that right after I dropped and bucked it. Is cedar generally that dry and splittable right off the stump? The top was twisted and partially broken but still alive. My roommate tried to burn a little bit last night but said it was smokey and not burning very well, so I'm assuming that means it's still green.
View Quote

Common cedars around here contain some sap, oil substance, similar to pine.
I am not a tree expert.

Only wood I've ever burned indoors was oak, E TX is full of it.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top