Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Common cedars around here contain some sap, oil substance, similar to pine.
I am not a tree expert.

Only wood I've ever burned indoors was oak, E TX is full of it.
View Quote

Yeah there's a little sap but we have our fires outside in the driveway. No way would I burn this stuff indoors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah there's a little sap but we have our fires outside in the driveway. No way would I burn this stuff indoors.
View Quote

Rats. Double-tap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Have you or anyone else compared the Egan versus the West Coast bark box?
View Quote

@Oldgold

Not that I know of most things I read is they were basically equal, the Egan having a larger openings. Both as the exhaust enters and exits the Egan, over the Bark Box.  But that larger opening did not transpire to more more.  The Egan is made of heavier metal.

The reason I bought the Egan is it was made in Idaho, and the Bark Box in WA, I hate our POS governor so the less money I give him the better in my book.  Egan was like $5.00 cheaper at the time.

Someone maybe @RTLM, mentioned that the Westcoast Fallers Suspension it stiffened up the saw and eliminated a lot of playand slop a very nice improvement IMHO.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Oldgold

Not that I know of most things I read is they were basically equal, the Egan having a larger openings. Both as the exhaust enters and exits the Egan, over the Bark Box.  But that larger opening did not transpire to more more.  The Egan is made of heavier metal.

The reason I bought the Egan is it was made in Idaho, and the Bark Box in WA, I hate our POS governor so the less money I give him the better in my book.  Egan was like $5.00 cheaper at the time.

Someone maybe @RTLM, mentioned that the Westcoast Fallers Suspension it stiffened up the saw and eliminated a lot of playand slop a very nice improvement IMHO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20220917_171326-2530175.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20220917_171850-2530174.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20220917_171810-2530173.jpg
View Quote

Opinions from me as a novice/hobbyist lover of saws and tinkering with em:

@Oldgold

You will not go wrong with either Egan or WCS aftermarket products.
I use WCS cause I'm a fan, pretty much just that.
As far as the suspension kit, It definitely stiffened up the 500i, especially with a 36"bar.

Edit:
Fixen to blow off saw and install exposed oil foamed filter and stack.
I don't mind running exposed, but understand it's not for everyone.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It smells SO good. This is probably a really dumb observation but I was able to split all that right after I dropped and bucked it. Is cedar generally that dry and splittable right off the stump? The top was twisted and partially broken but still alive. My roommate tried to burn a little bit last night but said it was smokey and not burning very well, so I'm assuming that means it's still green.
View Quote

Most online resources say 9-12 months to season cedar.

I don't know as we don't really have it here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dang, guess I never stopped to think about how long it takes to dry firewood out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dang, guess I never stopped to think about how long it takes to dry firewood out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red oak can take up to a couple years after it is split/stacked.

The only way to know for sure, is to take one of your splits, split it again, and then use a moisture meter.  New stoves are super sensitive to unseasoned wood and really want things to be <20% MC.

There is a whole art and science to constantly processing, stacking, seasoning wood to use for heat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only way to know for sure, is to take one of your splits, split it again, and then use a moisture meter.  New stoves are super sensitive to unseasoned wood and really want things to be <20% MC.

There is a whole art and science to constantly processing, stacking, seasoning wood to use for heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a double sided fireplace that I closed off with a piece of ceramic glass on the back side. With vaulted ceilings, two story, and multiple draft issues I make sure our wood is 10% or less to reduce smoke.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Spotted this fallen aspen and went to work on it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was talking to a neighbor down the road who bought a cheap import top handle off Amazon…says he tried to use it once and it didn’t run right. He offered to sell it to me for $50.

I told him the carb probably needed adjusted and I’d help him out….but he doesn’t want to mess with it.

I’m going to stop by and look at it next week and will probably buy it from him. Figure if nothing else it will let me try and top handle and decide if I’ll actually use one. If I like it I’ll end up picking up the Echo.
View Quote

So I stopped by the neighbor last night on the way home and went ahead and picked up the little import saw for $50.....he only ran it once and didn't even cut anything with it.  It's a Neo-Tec- NCS2500 with a 12" bar.  From what he said, I know the carb needs adjusted but I won't get a chance to mess with until this weekend.  I can't tell for sure but it looks like a knock off of the Echo maybe???  I'm not a fan of import saws but the price was right and will let me test whether I'll actually use a top handle or not before spending more money on a quality saw.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So I stopped by the neighbor last night on the way home and went ahead and picked up the little import saw for $50.....he only ran it once and didn't even cut anything with it.  It's a Neo-Tec- NCS2500 with a 12" bar.  From what he said, I know the carb needs adjusted but I won't get a chance to mess with until this weekend.  I can't tell for sure but it looks like a knock off of the Echo maybe???  I'm not a fan of import saws but the price was right and will let me test whether I'll actually use a top handle or not before spending more money on a quality saw.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/52CEE3C2-B4EA-4236-AF8B-56F05D88CA84-2634725.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/71FD36AB-341A-4C59-812D-C7AEE5839F07-2634724.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/8691B85D-4621-4B37-820C-62C3CD664767-2634723.jpg
View Quote

I never knew I needed a top handle until I bought one.
I'll never be without a tiny light top handle now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been looking at an Echo 2511T super light and i think it would be great for cutting a bunch of scrub trees.  Cut with one hand and fling out of the way with the other.  That damn 500i is great but it can get heavy after a bit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have been looking at an Echo 2511T super light and i think it would be great for cutting a bunch of scrub trees.  Cut with one hand and fling out of the way with the other.  That damn 500i is great but it can get heavy after a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's basically the use case that I think a top handle would be handy for me, or throwing in the side by side to clear trails.....this cheap import saw should let me know if I'm right.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay who did it?

Mosaune (Motorsäge - Posaune)

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was talking to a neighbor down the road who bought a cheap import top handle off Amazon…says he tried to use it once and it didn’t run right. He offered to sell it to me for $50.

I told him the carb probably needed adjusted and I’d help him out….but he doesn’t want to mess with it.

I’m going to stop by and look at it next week and will probably buy it from him. Figure if nothing else it will let me try and top handle and decide if I’ll actually use one. If I like it I’ll end up picking up the Echo.
View Quote

I bought a Holzfforma g111 top handle (Stihl clone) and I really like it. I cut a plastic milk crate and the saw fits in the bottom with the bar sticking out the side. You can throw hearing protection, scrench, bar & chain oil, fuel mix, gloves, and everything you need in the milk crate. Easy to carry around and stack in the garage if you are like me and use milk crates for organizing things.

edit: added

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Needz to bell back down to a stinger
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had tree guys drop some big stuff last year.
I played with their top handle Stihls and that sold me.
When I picked up the Echo 2511T at my dealer, the 5+lb weight sold me on that one.
From a safety standpoint, they are limbing saws for arborists, on the ground running one handed just use that common sense and keep in back of your mind that it can kick on ya.
I find it easy to control.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bought a Holzfforma g111 top handle and I really like it. I cut a plastic milk crate and the saw fits in the bottom with the bar sticking out the side. You can throw hearing protection, scrench, bar & chain oil, fuel mix, gloves, and everything you need in the milk crate. Easy to carry around and stack in the garage if you are like me and use milk crates for organizing things.

https://i.imgur.com/nXJvqZ4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a Holzfforma g111 top handle and I really like it. I cut a plastic milk crate and the saw fits in the bottom with the bar sticking out the side. You can throw hearing protection, scrench, bar & chain oil, fuel mix, gloves, and everything you need in the milk crate. Easy to carry around and stack in the garage if you are like me and use milk crates for organizing things.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got any more pictures.....from the picture you posted the top looks similar to the Neo-Tec I bought.....just curious if mine is just a rebranded Holzfforma??
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/52CEE3C2-B4EA-4236-AF8B-56F05D88CA84-2634725.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/71FD36AB-341A-4C59-812D-C7AEE5839F07-2634724.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/8691B85D-4621-4B37-820C-62C3CD664767-2634723.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust us, you'll use a top-handle saw. It's the mid-sized saws you'll question whether or not you'll use again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Got any more pictures.....from the picture you posted the top looks similar to the Neo-Tec I bought.....just curious if mine is just a rebranded Holzfforma??
View Quote

Amazon link
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought a Holzfforma g111 top handle (Stihl clone) and I really like it. I cut a plastic milk crate and the saw fits in the bottom with the bar sticking out the side. You can throw hearing protection, scrench, bar & chain oil, fuel mix, gloves, and everything you need in the milk crate. Easy to carry around and stack in the garage if you are like me and use milk crates for organizing things.

edit: added

View Quote

Neat idea. Worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Trust us, you'll use a top-handle saw. It's the mid-sized saws you'll question whether or not you'll use again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's already happening

I keep my 362 as basically a backup for my 500, when my wife is helping, she'll use the 362 to buck wood at the splitter.  I've got a 271 sitting on the shelf collecting dust, it hasn't been ran in so long I'll probably need to replace fuel lines on it.  I'd sell it, but it's not worth much to begin with and saws are like guns.....I have a hard time selling them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Neat idea. Worth the price of admission.
View Quote

Prairie Farms probably wouldn't think it's neat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's already happening

I keep my 362 as basically a backup for my 500, when my wife is helping, she'll use the 362 to buck wood at the splitter.  I've got a 271 sitting on the shelf collecting dust, it hasn't been ran in so long I'll probably need to replace fuel lines on it.  I'd sell it, but it's not worth much to begin with and saws are like guns.....I have a hard time selling them.
View Quote

Yeah my 362 runs backup to my 461. Though I will say those mid-sized saws can be super useful in the tree if you're piecing down something too big for a top-handle job. And those top-handle rigs can be a bit dangerous to run on the ground; they can definitely get you into trouble if you ain't paying attention, lol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Had tree guys drop some big stuff last year.
I played with their top handle Stihls and that sold me.
When I picked up the Echo 2511T at my dealer, the 5+lb weight sold me on that one.
From a safety standpoint, they are limbing saws for arborists, on the ground running one handed just use that common sense and keep in back of your mind that it can kick on ya.
I find it easy to control.
View Quote

I love mine, extremely handy but not the greatest idea for beginners.  They are fantastic in tree saws.

I think the weight fools a lot of people.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I love mine, extremely handy but not the greatest idea for beginners.  They are fantastic in tree saws.

I think the weight fools a lot of people.
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
When a daddy saw and a mommy saw love each other and are left alone in the garage…..

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When a daddy saw and a mommy saw love each other and are left alone in the garage cannot conceive…..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/CF788A66-CB5F-4BC4-B28E-725CD2E85548-2635461.jpg
View Quote

They adopt a baby from China?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Hedge
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When a daddy saw and a mommy saw love each other and are left alone in the garage cannot conceive…..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/CF788A66-CB5F-4BC4-B28E-725CD2E85548-2635461.jpg

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When a daddy saw and a mommy saw love each other and are left alone in the garage…..

View Quote

Momma saw is a midcap saw
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or daddy needs to be asking some serious questions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Need more pics!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't have any pics but I did run the baby china saw last weekend....it didn't run horribly but I need to spend some time tuning the carb.  I think I'll get my $50 out of it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Damn. I don't know if I've ever had the pleasure of running saws in the snow.
View Quote

Lots of fun, you don't get hot, but you want to use synthetic bar oil so it at least has a chance to pour out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lots of fun, you don't get hot, but you want to use synthetic bar oil so it at least has a chance to pour out.
View Quote
I mix my bar oil with 0w20,syn atf and sometimes a little #1 heating oil(jet a).

Even run used 0w20 oil that has settled.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#44]
by "cut" do you mean "cut" or "use".  All the wood around here cuts nice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me either.
What length bar? @safe1
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

28", I think I'm going with a 36" for some of the village tree-lawn trees. This thing makes short work of these larger rounds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do most of my cutting in the winter and prefer temps around <20deg.....the ground is frozen so it's easy to work with the wood using a tractor and it's not a muddy mess.  Plus, you warm up real quick once you start working.

I've started buying the super cheap bar oil from Rural King for winter use, it's really thin, so it still flows well in freezing temps when the Stihl bar oil will hardly run out of the bottle.  I'll use the Stihl oil when its warmer though.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top