Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn. I don't know if I've ever had the pleasure of running saws in the snow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

David Allan Coe wrote a line "spent the summer time cuttin' up logs for the winter..."

But he claims to have grown up in Texas after moving from Ohio. Anyone in Texas knows, you spend winter time cuttin' up logs for the winter... after next. It's 105 in the summer, who wants to be running a saw when it's that hot out? The colder the better — man who splits his own wood warms himself twice... or thrice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

David Allan Coe wrote a line "spent the summer time cuttin' up logs for the winter..."

But he claims to have grown up in Texas after moving from Ohio. Anyone in Texas knows, you spend winter time cuttin' up logs for the winter... after next. It's 105 in the summer, who wants to be running a saw when it's that hot out? The colder the better — man who splits his own wood warms himself twice... or thrice.
View Quote

I despise cutting wood when it's hot out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you near the coast or inland where you see -0  for months at a time?  I will thin bar oil if its in the single digits, but Stihl orange jug seems fine most of the time.  I do keep saws and oil in a heated shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mix my bar oil with 0w20,syn atf and sometimes a little #1 heating oil(jet a).

Even run used 0w20 oil that has settled.

Are you near the coast or inland where you see -0  for months at a time?  I will thin bar oil if its in the single digits, but Stihl orange jug seems fine most of the time.  I do keep saws and oil in a heated shop.
About 80 miles from the coast.
We can see -60f but regularly see -30/-40f. Our temps can wildly swing also.

Husky made a nice thin bar oil but I can no longer find it.
All the stihl bar oil does not pour in the cold.

To get logs in winter we travel by snogo over 100 miles round trip so everything gets cold. Sometimes we build fire to warm things up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To get logs in winter we travel by snogo over 100 miles round trip so everything gets cold. Sometimes we build fire to warm things up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mix my bar oil with 0w20,syn atf and sometimes a little #1 heating oil(jet a).

Even run used 0w20 oil that has settled.

I prefer cutting in the cold.....but fuck every part of that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
It can get very taxing if the snow is deep and temps are cold with wind.

I do stay home a lot more in the deep cold with wind. Most of the time I am alone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do stay home a lot more in the deep cold with wind. Most of the time I am alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's always surprised me how much difference even a few inches of snow will make in your work, everything gets harder and wears you out much quicker.....can't imagine the amount of snow you deal with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All the stihl bats oil does not pour in the cold.

View Quote

Never realized how awesome a little fire is while you're working outside...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 4 ft utility sled to drag behind the snowmobiles when I spy a dead maple or something nice on the property up north to cut down that's dead hardwood and not rotten.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

28", I think I'm going with a 36" for some of the village tree-lawn trees. This thing makes short work of these larger rounds.
View Quote

It will run a 36' just fine
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

28", I think I'm going with a 36" for some of the village tree-lawn trees. This thing makes short work of these larger rounds.

It will run a 36' just fine
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/5C712AD9-1DE3-4FC9-8C5E-634C711CA43A-2567151.jpg

I don't want to cut a tree that takes a 36 foot bar.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will not edit my post, cause I'm a true believer
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wait at least until the leaves turn for the majority of my cutting
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I want to see a tree that takes a 36' bar... and the saw that will drive it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

All the stihl bar oil does not pour in the cold.

View Quote

Try thinning it a bit with ATF or something similar--and cheap.

I know you're a looooong way from a Walmart or Tractor Supply, but the thinnest packaged bar oil I've seen is the Walmart super lube stuff which is tinted red.  It's also the most expensive now for some reason and thus I don't buy it anymore.

TSC supposedly has summer and winter blends of their "Countyline" bar oil.

What I'm doing now is using the bar oil jug as a catch all for random oils.  Half quart of ATF with no use-into the bar oil jug, 1/4 quart of fresh 5W20 from a gallon jug-yeah into the bar oil jug.  It's still mostly bar oil, but I'll toss the extra scraps in it.  

If it came to super cold weather and I wasn't getting a good flow off the bar, I would try to thin it a bit.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't have any pics but I did run the baby china saw last weekend....it didn't run horribly but I need to spend some time tuning the carb.  I think I'll get my $50 out of it.
View Quote

Just means you can get away modding the shit out of it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Damn. I don't know if I've ever had the pleasure of running saws in the snow.
View Quote

It's fun, you still will work up a sweat somehow.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have any pics but I did run the baby china saw last weekend....it didn't run horribly but I need to spend some time tuning the carb.  I think I'll get my $50 out of it.

I have plans
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Kids gave me a 32” Sugihara lightweight bar for Xmas tonight….it’s going to look nice on the 500i. I’ll post some pics tomorrow if I have time between our 3 different Xmas plans.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kids gave me a 32” Sugihara lightweight bar for Xmas tonight….it’s going to look nice on the 500i. I’ll post some pics tomorrow if I have time between our 3 different Xmas plans.
View Quote

Fuck yeah! That is awesome!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep…looks pretty good on the 500

For you guys who run the long bars….do you run skip or full chain?  I normally run full on everything….but that’s a lot of teeth to sharpen on a 32”
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep looks pretty good on the 500

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/CA513718-E232-465A-8482-43A0F635B224-2646979.jpg

For you guys who run the long bars .do you run skip or full chain?  I normally run full on everything .but that's a lot of teeth to sharpen on a 32"
View Quote

I wouldn't necessarily say 28 is long but I run skip on mine.

And is it just me or does anyone else not particularly fancy Stihl's new side-cover design? I much prefer the old full-sized cover.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And is it just me or does anyone else not particularly fancy Stihl's new side-cover design? I much prefer the old full-sized cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep looks pretty good on the 500

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/CA513718-E232-465A-8482-43A0F635B224-2646979.jpg

For you guys who run the long bars .do you run skip or full chain?  I normally run full on everything .but that's a lot of teeth to sharpen on a 32"

They still put the full size covers on the saws with a full wrap handle.  Which coincidentally will be the next upgrade to my 500.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They still put the full size covers on the saws with a full wrap handle.  Which coincidentally will be the next upgrade to my 500.
View Quote

Yeah it was a PITA to find the right kit for my 362 but it's worth it to get the side-cover. Hell I won't even think about buying a saw now without a full-wrap bar. People see mine around here and kinda smirk, thinking it's only for west coast fallers or some shit. But once you go full-wrap, you don't go back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

28 as well, but full.  Full seems to be easier to find in 058 and 93DLs.

I need to slowly migrate to skip, though.  Ran the saw Thursday and forgot what a pain is the rear it was to sharpen full chain on longer bars.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I need to slowly migrate to skip, though.  Ran the saw Thursday and forgot what a pain is the rear it was to sharpen full chain on longer bars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can turn a full into a skip with an angle grinder.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So I stopped by the neighbor last night on the way home and went ahead and picked up the little import saw for $50.....he only ran it once and didn't even cut anything with it.  It's a Neo-Tec- NCS2500 with a 12" bar.  From what he said, I know the carb needs adjusted but I won't get a chance to mess with until this weekend.  I can't tell for sure but it looks like a knock off of the Echo maybe???  I'm not a fan of import saws but the price was right and will let me test whether I'll actually use a top handle or not before spending more money on a quality saw.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/52CEE3C2-B4EA-4236-AF8B-56F05D88CA84-2634725.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/71FD36AB-341A-4C59-812D-C7AEE5839F07-2634724.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/8691B85D-4621-4B37-820C-62C3CD664767-2634723.jpg
View Quote

I am fixing to buy one of those to keep in the Ranger for impromptu tree cutting on the trails. I have read good things about them for the price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For you guys who run the long bars….do you run skip or full chain?  I normally run full on everything….but that’s a lot of teeth to sharpen on a 32”
View Quote

She looks purdy!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Broke down and ordered the full wrap handle for my 500….late Xmas gift for myself
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Well only thing I did was fire up the saw to smell the premix. Wife asked why I fired up the saw, "to keep it properly lubricated!"
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Broke down and ordered the full wrap handle for my 500….late Xmas gift for myself
View Quote

I like full wrap handles, I used them for 30+ years in the fire department, but then it would not fit in my nice case that I have.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well only thing I did was fire up the saw to smell the premix. Wife asked why I fired up the saw, "to keep it properly lubricated!"
View Quote

This is an important ritual for owning nice saws, lol.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like full wrap handles, I used them for 30+ years in the fire department, but then it would not fit in my nice case that I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dodged that bullet….I don’t own any saw cases. I just put a scabbard on the bar.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Got into some scrappy cut'n for a buddy today. Took four down but all were quite small. Two pin oaks and two magnolias. I ended up climbing an adjacent magnolia so that I could top and chunk the bigger pin down; it had a weird corkscrew twist in it preventing me from shooting it into the open, but dropping it the way it wanted to naturally go would've gotten it snagged in the magnolia beside it. So I climbed it instead.

The second magnolia was an easy shot and I sent it with the very saw I learned to cut with -- my grandpappy's beloved 011AVT with a 12-inch bar. Back in my early days, we ran a 16-inch bar on this saw, which I still have; it's worn slap out. But I gotta say, the 011-style top-handles are very handy on the ground if you need something small and controllable.

I also thinned out some Stihl bar oil using ATF like some of y'all recommended. Seems to work pretty well when it's cold out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let us know how you like the 32.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Had some trees next to a building I needed to cut and of course they were leaning toward the building.  Bought something I didn’t know existed.. a rope Comealong. I got it with 50’ of rope which means it has 50’ of pull line take up. I used it on one of the trees yesterday and it worked amazing.  I threw a line in the tree.  Attached a sheave block to another tree(the direction I wanted it to go), went back the other way and attached the comealong to another tree in the opposite direction. Put some tension on it, made the face cut, got my 10yr old daughter on the comelong and when I made the back cut she started cranking. Fell right where it was suppose to. I Highly recommend this tool.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Had some trees next to a building I needed to cut and of course they were leaning toward the building.  Bought something I didn't know existed.. a rope Comealong. I got it with 50' of rope which means it has 50' of pull line take up. I used it on one of the trees yesterday and it worked amazing.  I threw a line in the tree.  Attached a sheave block to another tree(the direction I wanted it to go), went back the other way and attached the comealong to another tree in the opposite direction. Put some tension on it, made the face cut, got my 10yr old daughter on the comelong and when I made the back cut she started cranking. Fell right where it was suppose to. I Highly recommend this tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/3228C4D5-7D9B-4BB9-B2EE-15DC5CB99936_jpe-2651819.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/72EEC5E1-D26C-4712-A7BA-28794F90EC69_jpe-2651820.JPG
View Quote
Have one with a 150ft rope.
Goes with the boat and snogo all the time.
Have yet to use it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Had some trees next to a building I needed to cut and of course they were leaning toward the building.  Bought something I didn't know existed.. a rope Comealong. I got it with 50' of rope which means it has 50' of pull line take up. I used it on one of the trees yesterday and it worked amazing.  I threw a line in the tree.  Attached a sheave block to another tree(the direction I wanted it to go), went back the other way and attached the comealong to another tree in the opposite direction. Put some tension on it, made the face cut, got my 10yr old daughter on the comelong and when I made the back cut she started cranking. Fell right where it was suppose to. I Highly recommend this tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/3228C4D5-7D9B-4BB9-B2EE-15DC5CB99936_jpe-2651819.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/72EEC5E1-D26C-4712-A7BA-28794F90EC69_jpe-2651820.JPG
View Quote

Nice. Was hoping for some action pics but okay.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it….fuck bending over to buck wood.

500i pulled it fine in red oak, white oak and ash today.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Finished cutting & splitting today and UPS showed up with my full wrap handle and large side plate.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Finished cutting & splitting today and UPS showed up with my full wrap handle and large side plate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/B1315215-B01F-4F4D-8308-6CFA696DD0DB-2653275.jpg
View Quote

Jealous
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Jealous
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/B1315215-B01F-4F4D-8308-6CFA696DD0DB-2653275.jpg

Jealous

It’s stupid how much they charge for that handle….you can find stock handles cheap on eBay…I thought about buying one and welding up my own full wrap.

Just under $300 for the handle and large side plate.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I like it….fuck bending over to buck wood.

500i pulled it fine in red oak, white oak and ash today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/5EA6BAAC-1BA8-4BAB-9973-AFB88117EC50-2653031.jpg
View Quote

Fuck yeah, that looks great!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I’d searched off and on for years for a compact way to carry & organize chains and extra stuff to throw on the tractor when I’m cutting. These Dewalt organizers are the best I’ve found so far.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have one of these with 150' of rope and I've used the shit out of it!  This, combined with an extension ladder (to get the harness as far up the tree as I can) and some videos on how to down/cut trees (Guilt of Treeson Youtube channel) has been a game changer.  Now I can't drop a tree on a quarter like some of those guys can, but I've dropped trees all around the house and outside shop and they've all gone generally right where I wanted!  Even screwed up the cut on a back leaner and had it start leaning the wrong way.  Wedges and the Maasdam put it right where I wanted it!

GREAT investment if you plan on cutting more than a few trees.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks very nice, does the larger side plate get rid of the wood better?

Did you compare the Stihl one to the West Coast one?
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top