Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's in place full of water with a really big exterior filter system. But there are no fish in it right now and I'm not sure I want to get back into messing with fish. If I could do something really cool with fish, then that would be fine. I don't know what I want to do with it. It's heavy as crap so I don't really want to moves it.
View Quote
Oscars and Jack Dempseys
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Psilocybe semilanceata
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
grocery store lobsters
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go freshwater.   Either local to your area natives (any of the sunfish except large mouth or small mouth bass) or just go "mock salt" and all the colorful African cichlids.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carpet python enclosure (125 gal tank that doesn't hold water so it was cheap)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/20200124_perch2_jpg-2516674.JPG

We had tops made for it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/tanktop1_jpg-2516675.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Forget about the fish. Just turn it into a cool underwater scene. Neat conversation piece and easier to take care of.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Send to UKR. Claim $2.3B deduction. If IRS questions, claim they hate democracy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My old roommate in college had one of these.  It got about 2 feet long.  We fed it live mice.  Very entertaining.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An Arowana makes a pretty cool fish for a tank that size.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476319/3616883B-D73F-4C25-9296-7840BE8B5974_jpe-2516740.JPG
You do need to be mindful of anything else you might put in with it as they can be on the aggressive side.

My old roommate in college had one of these.  It got about 2 feet long.  We fed it live mice.  Very entertaining.

They are very cool fish.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
So......

Option A:Fresh
-full planted with CO2 and lighting
-Rainbows, Apistograma Sp., Bristlenose plecos
Basically looking for active colorful species and smaller things that make you want to stare at the whole setup for hours

Option B: Salt
-Lube up your bank account
-200lbs+ live rock
- pair of snowflake morays
- wrasses, larger clown species, yellow tang
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Put guppies in it with lots of bushy plants for the babies to hide (they'll eat their own young) until they grow a bit.

Pretty little fish, always moving, breed pretty rapidly. Gets over crowded, sell excess as feeders.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a large snake.
View Quote

A large snake won't fit.  Something medium sized like a male carpet python is perfect.

An Italian wall lizard colony would be cool too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Put guppies in it with lots of bushy plants for the babies to hide (they'll eat their own young) until they grow a bit.

Pretty little fish, always moving, breed pretty rapidly. Gets over crowded, sell excess as feeders.
View Quote

I enjoy the variety guppies come in.  Then they breed like crazy and create nest new patterns.  If I had a tank that big I would have African cichlids
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I keep one large Bluegill in a 125 gal tank.

He can tolerate 70% water changes from my well and enjoys eating night crawlers.

I use a couple large HOB filters with sponge pre-filters & clean the pro-filters as they clog up.

View Quote

I had 1 flier left in the tank. Quite a while back I put a trap in the marsh and expected to get cool stuff like red bellied sunfish.  They were tiny so I couldn't tell what they were. Instead I ended up with all fliers which look like small drab colored perch.

I'm tempted to go use a fishing rod to get an a bright colored sunfish but I don't know how well a wild fish will tolerate going into a little tank compared to a lake. That was the entire idea behind catching tiny baby fish in the first place, to raise them in the tank.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy a lobster at the grocery store, start a youtube channel featuring said lobster and profit? Also killing it with the mech?
Keeping A Grocery Store Lobster As A Pet

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep. And because of my filter system, when I lose power the pump stops and the filter outside floods and the water level in the tank drops about 2 inches until it hits the safety. It's one of the reasons I've avoided big fish or lots of fish. If the power was to stay off long enough the biological filter system would crash, and that's that for a couple weeks.
View Quote
Switch to a mattenfilter. Problem solved. I have a 125 that's been running since early 2017, and has never had any maintenance done besides water changes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I enjoy the variety guppies come in.  Then they breed like crazy and create nest new patterns.  If I had a tank that big I would have African cichlids
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had multiple tanks for years, 125 was the biggest. Lost interest after a while. At one time or another I had just about any kind of freshwater fish you could get.

Three red belly piranhas (mostly boring) I kept together. For all the hype, they were pretty timid. After a while I didn't think anything about reaching in to the tank to straighten things out.

One black piranha that had to stay by himself. That one I wouldn't even consider putting my hands close to the surface of the water. It was aggressive.

Oscars were my favorite for a long time. Real personality there. Shit like a horse. You'll be busy keeping up with cleaning.

When I started losing interest and grew tired of the maintenance to keep them clean, they started being sold off.

The last to go was a 55 gallon that was just a big community tank of smaller fish. That one was just relaxing to sit and watch.

If I ever got another aquarium, a 55 gallon community tank with various small species is likely how I'd go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d put some African cichlids in it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Discus tank

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
crawfish in aquaponics setup to grow peppers.

if it gets to be too much you just cook everything together
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
That Discus tank looks beautiful.

OP, I had to make the same decision with my 75 gallon. Ended up deciding to go with plants and community fish (along with some shrimp). Not much maintenance and very relaxing. Everyone in the tank is expendable and replaceable for low dollars.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
My father had a 350 gallon tank he took as payment for a loan like 15 years before he died.  It’s still sitting in his garage.  Albatross
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Raise edible fish
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd probably do Discus with a 150, to small for a reef for me, been keeping an eye out for 220+.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Axolotls! They're fun. They come up to the glass to say hi and eat worms out of my hand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#26]
A dolphin with frickin laser beam on its head ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Raise edible fish
View Quote

This. Fill it with local fish.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#28]
drain water and put walking sticks in it. Feed them from your landscaping.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Switch to a mattenfilter. Problem solved. I have a 125 that's been running since early 2017, and has never had any maintenance done besides water changes.
View Quote

I've never heard of it. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
My contribution.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
That. Fuck it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#32]
African cichlids

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've never heard of it. I'll look into it. Thanks.
View Quote
Traditional.

Corner.

They're not the prettiest, but they are fantastic biological filters. Turnover rate in your tank ends up being around 2 to 2.5 times an hour. In a corner they look like an overflow in a saltwater tank.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Use it to cast very large ballistic gel blocks, and jump into the .50 cal game.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Not alot of people know this, but you can hide your weed in there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#36]
You can get a freshwater tank damn near maintenance free.

Automatic feeder.
Plants to help keep the numbers in check.
Auto top off for evaporation.

You can go weeks without touching it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I catch swamp critters to put in my 36 gallon tank. Currently it’s full of crawfish. I’ve had good luck with brook silverside minnows too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Pit bull.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Our local Reptile place has some nice snakes that can use that tank for a little bit - until they outgrow it.

Cute snakes

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a fan of planted freshwater.
If done right water the plants balance the bioload and you do r have to do water changes very often.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Reef tank, a lot of work but worth it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Silver arowana. Just get a really good cover so it doesn't jump out and kill itself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Get some lobsters, have fresh lobster for dinner when the notion strikes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Stop animation Scuba Steve adult film probably has a market.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I had 1 flier left in the tank. Quite a while back I put a trap in the marsh and expected to get cool stuff like red bellied sunfish.  They were tiny so I couldn't tell what they were. Instead I ended up with all fliers which look like small drab colored perch.

I'm tempted to go use a fishing rod to get an a bright colored sunfish but I don't know how well a wild fish will tolerate going into a little tank compared to a lake. That was the entire idea behind catching tiny baby fish in the first place, to raise them in the tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I keep one large Bluegill in a 125 gal tank.

He can tolerate 70% water changes from my well and enjoys eating night crawlers.

I use a couple large HOB filters with sponge pre-filters & clean the pro-filters as they clog up.

Sunfish lose their color very quickly when they're in a clear aquarium. It will only be brightly colored for a couple days at best.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fill it with tannerite. Set up slow motion camera.

Entertain us!!!
View Quote

how did you read my mind?

I think a 5lb tannerite target with the tank full of water would be a cool shot
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Either a full blown community reef or a nifty reptile home.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Turn it into a salty. Grow fishies for $$$$. Check into it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Depending on how much time and money I'd want to invest, I'd go mini reef environment or tank for a single Oscar.  I seem to be getting lazier so..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52425/IMG_20220826_182720_jpg-2517004.JPG
Axolotls! They're fun. They come up to the glass to say hi and eat worms out of my hand.
View Quote

The sunfish I have in my tank do the same thing, plus I caught them from the ditch right by my house.
Axolotties look like bass bait.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top