Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder how she earned the money for the trip?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
"We carried our preschooler up a long trail!"

Stop making your child a spectacle.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Younger than all the Tibetan kids who live around there?  Really?
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
People feed their kids Cheetos and high fructose corn syrup and coke and stick them in front of all sorts of electronic devices and no one cares.

This family trains their daughter and encourages her to hike to base camp……. Every loses their mind.

Weird world we live in
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
People feed their kids Cheetos and high fructose corn syrup and coke and stick them in front of all sorts of electronic devices and no one cares.

This family trains their daughter and encourages her to hike to base camp  . Every loses their mind.

Weird world we live in
View Quote
My slightly negative reaction is based partially on the dangers of even getting a child to base camp and dealing with altitude sickness (which hopefully dad has well in hand), but mostly the part about making the child a worldwide spectacle.

All in all it doesn't rate high on my GAFometer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This family trains their daughter and encourages her to hike to base camp  . Every loses their mind.

Weird world we live in
View Quote
How about both are bad.
Seems terribly irresponsible, but hey his kid, his glory.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've seen a lot of AI generated images lately. These are some of the best I've seen yet. This just works on so many levels.

But seriously I don't want to see a line of toddlers climbing Everest IRL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

These AI pictures look better then the real picture that’s how good midjourney is
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ETA: I'm sure there's been some Tibetan youngster who hitched a ride on a yak with his/her dad as they ferried equipment up to base camp.  Sort of a "go to work with dad" kind of thing.
View Quote

They have brown skin. Doesn't matter.

All the books, movies, etc. I've consumed about alpinists have taught me two things.

1. Most of these tourist climbers are narcissistic (there are some purist pros) and life is better staying out of their way. They'll get you killed.

2.  The real rock stars and heroes of the mountain are the sherpa. They don't get enough credit for the amazing innate athletic ability they have.  Sure, some rich person will make some kind of record, but only because the sherpa put down the ropes or humped all their crap. Some actually hold back from the peak so the white person can make it first and get the record.

Get back to me when the 4-year-old makes the peak.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ETA: I'm sure there's been some Tibetan youngster who hitched a ride on a yak with his/her dad as they ferried equipment up to base camp.  Sort of a "go to work with dad" kind of thing.
View Quote

is the Tibetan kid blonde and cute?

then it doesn't count.  

jk  
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just another parent trying to use their child for fame.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I truly hope that the kids don't suffer from dad's crazy decisions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. Foolish "look at me" stunt by the parents. Thank goodness she didn't end up like Jessica Dubroff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Foolish "look at me" stunt by the parents. Thank goodness she didn't end up like Jessica Dubroff.

Add the MSM & FAA to the list of fools in that case.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If I had a 4yr, I don’t think I would allow that. I’m all about kids experiencing life and sometimes they may get hurt and learn a lesson, but this is a little too much imho.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Child abuse.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Wake me up when a newborn summits.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I did Pike's Peak, that was before cell phones, I had a Polaroid camera. I smoked a cigarette at the top of the peak, talk about Rocky Mountain high! I was so lightheaded I nearly passed out and fell off the mountain.

That's crazy to imagine the base camp is higher than the summit of Pike's Peak.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My slightly negative reaction is based partially on the dangers of even getting a child to base camp and dealing with altitude sickness (which hopefully dad has well in hand), but mostly the part about making the child a worldwide spectacle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird world we live in

It’s 17k bro, with  over a weeks worth of steady ascent.  

People post their kids all over the internet, this should not rate at all.  Members here are outraged over an expensive and time consuming trek that they are completely ignorant about.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This family trains their daughter and encourages her to hike to base camp……. Every loses their mind.

Weird world we live in
View Quote

Most detractors are probably too fat to climb a flight of stairs without getting winded.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
It's all downhill from there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Dentists' quarters in the background.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing like risking your kids life just for some attention and a little fame....
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just don't understand the point of it all.
View Quote

Responsible parenting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm told that if you are younger than 16 years old, you are not technically allowed to go up to Mauna Kea on Hawaii, because the low oxygen level is thought to be harmful to a developing brain.  The peak is a touch under 14,000ft.

I don't know if that's the real reason, or if "they" are lying, and simply don't want kids up there,  but that's what I was told.
View Quote

Yea the rangers I've talked to there don't know their heads from their asses on altitude.

"You have to acclimate here at the ranger station for 30 minute!"

"I live at higher altitude than this. I am acclimated. Also, 30 mins does very little."

"You live at this altitude? That makes going up even worse."

"I have no words."
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It won't be those kids suffering, if they do to begin with. It will be the dozens or hundreds of other kids that will be encouraged to do something like that by parents who want nothing but their names in the headlines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds like "Dad" is pushing his kids!

The Jackson 5 of climbing
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Big deal.  I’m still waiting for the first tranny to give birth at the summit of Mt. Everest. Until that happens all of this is meaningless and insignificant.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

base camp is already over 17,000 feet above sea level, it already costs a lot of money just to get that far.
View Quote

My wife and I did it in 2019. Used credit card points for the flights. Cost of hike (includes lodging, food & misc. fees), guide and porter, $1,250 each.

We saw people on the trail 8 - 80 from all over the world. It would take a lot of patience to take a 4 year old. I don't know why you would as altitude sickness is a thing, can be a very bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]
How many episodes of Baby Shark did that kid watch on the way?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Now someone is going to try bringing their toddler up there to beat this record.
View Quote

Women crossing the Rio Grande will give it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wonder what the reduced O2 level for however long they were/will be up there will do to her brain and body.

Maybe another first in the making.
View Quote

There are plenty of real world tests on this, and they find that infants, way younger than 4 years, are at a slightly higher risk of both mental and physical development.  Here's the catch...that's long term at altitude, and at a truly young and developmental age.  The ones that are born and live at 5k meters.  For most other people, there can be slowed skills for extended stays at extremely high altitude (your 20k feet plus summits) which recover, which this kid did not have an extended stay at altitude either way.   Not only was this a slow and steady ascent, but the kids 02 levels were closely monitored according to the link, as well as the pictures provided within the link.  The amount of time she was at 5k is minimal, like 1 day.  Most of the trek is 3-4k.

Your dream that this kid is handicapped because her mean, abusive father trekked up to base camp with her are unfounded.  Sorry.  Looking at the threads here, you all encourage camping and hiking with the family, which is exactly what this family did.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Move over Ernest Shackelton...

The expedition faced accommodation challenges in hostels with minimal amenities, including cold rooms with temperatures dropping to -11 degrees Celsius.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

A friend of mine lived just north of Everest for a couple of years, and there were notable problems with births up at the higher elevations.  We were exchanging photographic prints and that's where he told me the backstory behind the one I asked for.  They don't have the porter culture on the north side as they do in Nepal and Pakistan, but human physiology is the same.

That said, young children have gone into these basecamps before.  For decades.  They've gone in with their parents, when their parents climbed these mountains; traveled back into these basecamps after parents or siblings were lost in these mountains.  It's nothing terribly new.  Just new to the algorithms.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sounds like the child's entire upbringing is engineered around preparing her for Everest.  Seems normal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the child's entire upbringing is engineered around preparing her for Everest.  Seems normal.  

Doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everest is for wealthy people to bring up over drinks at social functions.

Kind of like Cross Fit for the wealthy people. Something they can constantly bring up in conversation.

It's for people obsessed with dick measuring contests.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Children yearn for the mines.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the record for climbing Everest should be without supplemental oxygen.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#42]
This is stuff the Ballards were doing thirty years ago, except with much greater stakes.  If the girl in the OP is the youngest to EBC, it can't be by much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

base camp is already over 17,000 feet above sea level, it already costs a lot of money just to get that far.

https://alpenglowexpeditions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/everest_rgb_everest-2330x1800.jpg
View Quote

Any estimate on the cost.  I havealways wanted to go.  I have zero interest in going higher than base camp though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#44]
The amount of retards and racists in this thread is incredible. On second thought, maybe not for GD...
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Any estimate on the cost.  I havealways wanted to go.  I have zero interest in going higher than base camp though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://alpenglowexpeditions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/everest_rgb_everest-2330x1800.jpg

Around $2k for a 2 week itinerary, but if you want your own tent and what not, it can go up a couple more grand.

It’s literally a non technical trek that pretty much anyone in average shape can do, if they can do a 2 week hike/camp.  That’s why all the negative feedback in this thread is crazy, and I agree with those saying she isn’t he first.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Weird world we live in
View Quote

Yep. Maybe the fatasses here are jealous because they know they couldn't do the hike themselves.

I wouldn't take a 4 year old there, but like others said, it's not even a dangerous hike to base camp. Just a lot of walking and high altitude.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Adults train for this and still end up dieing. Seems like a hug risk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#48]
My 6 year old says her legs are too tired to climb up one set of stairs when its bedtime.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Interesting background.

That kid will either grow up to be a tank capable of handling any physical or emotional issue...

Or a complete loon who has no roots and is a flake.

It would be interesting to see a 'where are they now' in 30 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Adults train for this and still end up dieing. Seems like a hug risk.
View Quote

Do you have a link so we can all read up on how someone died hiking to Basecamp?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top