Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/18/2023 8:59:41 AM EDT
Wonder if they just forgot or didn't get a bill or said "screw you" to the government.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If enough people say 'no', there isn't much they can do about it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
but they paid for their cellphone and internet since their Social Justice Degree is only good at working at Starbucks or Target, lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife hasn't paid in years.

Her employer does it for her.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
They don't care and nothing will be done.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife hasn't paid in years.

Her employer does it for her.
View Quote
Must be one of those "1%'ers".  Unless, wait a minute... did she actually get a degree in a field that makes her employable for... money?!
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m fine with this. I’m not siding with anyone, but I will enjoy watching all parties duke it out.

I’m not sure what outcome would be the most satisfying.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Normally I'm a "Pay your debts and don't be a shithead" kind of guy.

But college admissions kind of turned into a meat grinder for kids starting with my generation.

We were told by guidance counselors from the time we entered 7th grade that you have to go to college to amount to anything. Doesn't matter what the degree is, just that you need one.

You know how many people basically got conned into paying for something that is useless to them? It's absurd. A big chunk of my class entered college for liberal arts or business administration, very few of those kids finshed, but still owed 10's of thousands.

Yeah yeah, they signed the paper, but they were told for years that if they didn't then they would grow up to be a loser and be living under a bridge somewhere....fuck the system that pushed so many kids into debt for their own benefit. The people that told them they needed to go should have been telling them that they aren't college material and they need to consider entering the work force immediately so they can build some marketable skills.

College admissions should be tough, and picky, and the kids entering should want to be there, not coerced into being there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Well they said they weren’t going to pay.
That’s what happens when you start something you can’t stop.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Great way for the feds to pair down who  they will have to pay SS benefits to in the future.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you imagine if 40% of working people didn’t pay their car payment or mortgage or power bill last month?

When did we allow rich kids with Liberal Arts Degrees to become the oppressed underprivileged?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe this is a good thing to force the entire college scheme into a reboot.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great way for the feds to pair down who  they will have to pay SS benefits to in the future.
View Quote
You really think there will be any Social Security when its time for these deadbeats to retire?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
College admissions should be tough, and picky, and the kids entering should want to be there, not coerced into being there.
View Quote

But then colleges wouldn't make billions of dollars...
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But college admissions kind of turned into a meat grinder for kids starting with my generation.

We were told by guidance counselors from the time we entered 7th grade that you have to go to college to amount to anything. Doesn't matter what the degree is, just that you need one.

You know how many people basically got conned into paying for something that is useless to them? It's absurd. A big chunk of my class entered college for liberal arts or business administration, very few of those kids finshed, but still owed 10's of thousands.

Yeah yeah, they signed the paper, but they were told for years that if they didn't then they would grow up to be a loser and be living under a bridge somewhere....fuck the system that pushed so many kids into debt for their own benefit. The people that told them they needed to go should have been telling them that they aren't college material and they need to consider entering the work force immediately so they can build some marketable skills.

View Quote

This.

I wasted so many good years chasing a piece of paper I never wanted, cared about, and ironically, don't even use today.

That college degree stopped mattering somewhere in the 80s as best I can tell.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe this is a good thing to force the entire college scheme into a reboot.  
View Quote

Too many people making too much money for that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But then colleges wouldn't make billions of dollars...
View Quote

Not to even start in the lack of diversity.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Can’t wait for the default stats next month.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Why would they? Between personal responsibility dying, everyone being too special to rules applying to them, and government saying they will forgive all student loans, why would they pay?

If I ran shit, defaulting on student loans would result in revoking their degree from their college transcripts as if it never existed as part of the debt collection process.

Losers cry about not affording loan payments/ their degrees useless, but their entire identity is wrapped around being college educated, and that degree.

Employer… miss smith, says here you only have a high school education.

Miss smith… um, no, I went to university of Indiana, majored in women’s rights, with minor in feminist studies.

Employer… we contacted the university of Indiana, they claim they have no records of you ever attending. We frown on lying on resumes miss smith, good day !

University of Indiana, how can I help you ?   Oh, you must be behind on your student loans, your transcripts are pulled from view until your payments are current, any employer will only see your high school educated only. Click.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why would they? Between personal responsibility dying, everyone being too special to rules applying to them, and government saying they will forgive all student loans, why would they pay?

If I ran shit, defaulting on student loans would result in revolving their degree from their college transcripts.

Losers cry about not affording loan payments/ their degrees useless, but their entire identity is wrapped around being college educated, and that degree.

Miss smith… um, no, I went to university of Indiana, majored in women’s rights, with minor in feminist studies.

Employer… we contacted the university of Indiana, they claim they have no records of you ever attending. We frown on lying on resumes miss smith, good day !

University of Indiana, how can I help you ?   Oh, you must be behind on your student loans, your transcripts are pulled from view until your payments are current, any employer will only see your high school educated only. Click.
View Quote

That shit only matters for the first job.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I ran shit, defaulting on student loans would result in revolving their degree from their college transcripts.

View Quote

Buck19Delta for Trump Education Secretary!
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Colleges should be loaning the money, not the gov.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep hearing how everyone was tricked / forced etc, into getting ANY degree, didn’t matter, which is bullshit.  

Why would you sign on for $25-$50-100 k in debt, for any degree WITHOUT researching the jobs that degree was useful for ? Because college education didn’t fuck people, getting stupid degrees, or attending expensive schools for degrees that only earned $30k a year did.

I figured this out at 18 years old, in the infantry, when my high school girlfriend went to UK for a fine arts degree…. To become a museum curator. 5 minutes of thinking told me her chances were about zero, and last I heard she was baby sitting kids in her house for a living 35 years later.

While a nursing degree, engineering degree, x 100 others etc would have gotten her a solid decent USEFUL job lickity split.

Meanwhile, my dumbass , highest education of high school, serving in the military , was fully retired by 38 years old, and enjoying life fully since 2012.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.

I wasted so many good years chasing a piece of paper I never wanted, cared about, and ironically, don't even use today.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It's fucked up. I have a degree in a trade field that I don't even need, I could have gotten the same training on the job. I will say that college was good for me socially, I learned how to live on my own and I made friends that I still talk to all the time, but I walked away owing about 40 grand that took a long time to pay off.

I did a trade program in high school and you know what the guidance counselor told me when I went in to sign up? She said I was too intelligent for that program.....no joke. I always had decent grades and tested very well, and she didn't think I should go into the trades.

Want some real irony though, 10 years after high school I was out on my own with a pretty fresh new business, and I get a phone call from the same lady....she needs a new driveway. So I gave her a fair price, my normal rates.....too expensive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#24]
When the fucking government from the president on down is saying they don't have to why should they? Just like immigration laws.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well shit man, I'll turn my degree back in today for my money back. I'm sure lots of kids would do the same (and kind of are doing that right now because they one they have is useless to them).
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Good.

The whole system is a sham anyways.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I just hope both teams have fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well shit man, I'll turn my degree back in today for my money back. I'm sure lots of kids would do the same (and kind of are doing that right now because they one they have is useless to them).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bought a product, and fail to pay, product should be confiscated, you still owe, you don’t get refunds. Start doing that shit, where does it end?

Dude… I bought a chevy impala to deliver gravel, and my buddy bought a f550 dump truck to commute to his job 2 hours a day, because my mom / guidance counselor told us too if we didn’t wanna be losers,  we should buy any car at all, didn’t matter, and man, we were lied too ! those cars were  useless, we’re not paying! We want refunds !
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd guess the .gov screwed it up some how.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#30]
My loans were put into forbearance until 2040. I have no payment due. PLSF is pending, as well as a Borrower Defense Claim. The school I got my associates from was shut down by the FEDs, and I missed the complete forgiveness of my loans by three months. I pay all of my bills and have been putting what should have been my monthly payment into other debits. Soon, it will be going into savings. I will be ready and willing to pay if my loan payments start back up. However, paying loans makes no sense when the payments will not count towards my PSLF.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's fucked up. I have a degree in a trade field that I don't even need, I could have gotten the same training on the job. I will say that college was good for me socially, I learned how to live on my own and I made friends that I still talk to all the time, but I walked away owing about 40 grand that took a long time to pay off.

I did a trade program in high school and you know what the guidance counselor told me when I went in to sign up? She said I was too intelligent for that program.....no joke. I always had decent grades and tested very well, and she didn't think I should go into the trades.

Want some real irony though, 10 years after high school I was out on my own with a pretty fresh new business, and I get a phone call from the same lady....she needs a new driveway. So I gave her a fair price, my normal rates.....too expensive.
View Quote

That's a glorious ending to the story.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You bought a product, and fail to pay, product should be confiscated, you still owe, you don’t get refunds. Start doing that shit, where does it end?

Dude… I bought a chevy impala to deliver gravel, and my buddy bought a f550 dump truck to commute to his job 2 hours a day, because my mom / guidance counselor told us too if we didn’t wanna be losers,  we should buy any car at all, didn’t matter, and man, we were lied too ! those cars were  useless, we’re not paying! We want refunds !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your point, but you are coming at it from the angle of an adult making a choice, not a kid that is being told by everyone they trust that they should do a certain thing.

I think you're a little older than me, but I was the very first wave of "participation trophy kids". Yeah, looking back now it's easy to say "Well they shouldn't have done that".....but what do you expect a kid to do when their parents, grandparents, teachers, counselors, everyone is telling them they will fail if they don't.

I'm already telling my kids that college is a great option, but only if they get a useful degree. If they want something silly that has no real job prospects then they need to pursue it on their own time while working full time so they aren't getting buried in debt.

No one told my class that, the trades were considered a dirty and bad thing, military was for the dumb kids, and everyone else had to go to college because it's the only way to get a good job.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I keep hearing how everyone was tricked / forced etc, into getting ANY degree, didn’t matter, which is bullshit.  

Why would you sign on for $25-$50-100 k in debt, for any degree WITHOUT researching the jobs that degree was useful for ? Because college education didn’t fuck people, getting stupid degrees, or attending expensive schools for degrees that only earned $30k a year did.

I figured this out at 18 years old, in the infantry, when my high school girlfriend went to UK for a fine arts degree…. To become a museum curator. 5 minutes of thinking told me her chances were about zero, and last I heard she was baby sitting kids in her house for a living 35 years later.

While a nursing degree, engineering degree, x 100 others etc would have gotten her a solid decent USEFUL job lickity split.

Meanwhile, my dumbass , highest education of high school, serving in the military , was fully retired by 38 years old, and enjoying life fully since 2012.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would someone give a $100k loan to someone who is not likely to pay it back?

They know they will get repaid by uncle government for being so inclusive as to allow people who wont repay to get loans.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Why bother?

Biden has that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said.

Sadly the government has the power to garnish your wages if you default on your student loans. Unlike most debt there is not way to get rid of student loans, you’re stuck with them for life until they are paid. I know people who are pushing 40 still trying to pay them off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn’t want to pay if I knew others were getting their loans paid for by .gov.  Forgive mine too would be my mantra!
PS I did fully pay off mine years ago after graduating.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
but they paid for their cellphone and internet since their Social Justice Degree is only good at working at Starbucks or Target, lol
View Quote

No they didn't...YOU paid for their phone and internet

I paid off my student loans with a cash settlement that was supposed to pay for my future medical treatments, pain and suffering, caused by the ignorance and stupidity of an untrained and unqualified driver operating a commercial vehicle on slick streets with only a standard driver's license and NO commercial driver training

I guess my refunded student loan payments-in-full should cover my future medical expenses, right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Just to be clear, a degree in natural sciences, such as Biology, is often a degree in liberal arts. In my case from a liberal arts college.

<----- Liberal arts degree M.D.

I know photosynthesis and Thucydides. Also, my first employer happily paid my student loan debt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#40]
The Biden administration won’t go after them; but sell something for more than $600 and they will hound you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#41]
When they started paying professors and administrators six & seven-figure salaries the scam was on. The money had to come from somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#42]
College is a money making scam because the government set it up that way.

Once again government sucks
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t feel sorry for idiots that took out loans for useless degrees. Being stupid should hurt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Garnish their wages then.  Taxpayers cannot be placed on the hook for the poor decisions of themselves and their parents.  Is college a racket?  Often times, yes.  Often, no.  Just a moment of thought should be all it takes to weigh the cost / benefit of many degrees.  $200k at a private school for a woke studies degree that might let you earn $30k/year at Starbucks = horrible, horrible choice, for example.  In no sane world should I, or any other taxpayer be on the hook for that.  What do they want next?  Free housing off my labor?  UBI, off my wages?  EBT?  On and on.  That's communism.  Not happening.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m a sucker for paying mine in advance by joining Uncle Sam’s Gun Club.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I believe jug ears obama made it so big daddy .gov is the sole college loan provider.  by design...now, they can "forgive" (i.e. pass along to those of us who did not make poor decisions) those loans in exchange for votes, or signal to people "don't pay" again in exchange for votes.  Obama started this like many things.

to the freeloaders taking their "loan forgiveness," you are not welcome.  suck it.  My tax rate all in (fed, state, local, etc) is almost half of what I make and I am or will be paying your college loan.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don’t feel sorry for idiots that took out loans for useless degrees. Being stupid should hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well what kind of decisions do you expect from someone at 16/17 years old? Rational ones? Then add guidance counselors and teachers to the mix, telling these kids and their parents that they will be worthless if they don't get that college degree; regardless of what it's for. That's the kind of scenario that went down during my HS days back in the late 90s.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wonder if they just forgot or didn't get a bill or said "screw you" to the government.

View Quote

This thread reminded me to pay it.

I usually get a notification about it via email and snail mail. I just checked and I didn't get jack shit. I just paid it but it was almost like they don't want me to pay.

No reason for most people to pay off theirs though. Brandon is getting another 4 years and he will keep protecting them. What did Franklin say?? Vote themselves Largesse?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a 100K duelie, I needed a Civic but got talked into this, I'm not going to pay because I think I got screwed and it's not ''fair.''
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew it was bullshit too, but I got the same talk verbatim as sitdwn did when I was in 7th and 8th grade. You have to get a college degree, ANY degree, so you can get a good job or you're going go be a loser working fast food your whole life. My high school did have a couple career advisors that walked us through the job opportunities of the liberal arts and actively tried to push people away from that shit and more into trades and other skilled careers. I ended up enlisting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top