Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The other 60% just learned they are chumps for paying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yea its a good thing they never learned to think for themselves,good parenting I guess. You are so full of shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normally I'm a "Pay your debts and don't be a shithead" kind of guy.

But college admissions kind of turned into a meat grinder for kids starting with my generation.

We were told by guidance counselors from the time we entered 7th grade that you have to go to college to amount to anything. Doesn't matter what the degree is, just that you need one.

You know how many people basically got conned into paying for something that is useless to them? It's absurd. A big chunk of my class entered college for liberal arts or business administration, very few of those kids finshed, but still owed 10's of thousands.

Yeah yeah, they signed the paper, but they were told for years that if they didn't then they would grow up to be a loser and be living under a bridge somewhere....fuck the system that pushed so many kids into debt for their own benefit. The people that told them they needed to go should have been telling them that they aren't college material and they need to consider entering the work force immediately so they can build some marketable skills.

College admissions should be tough, and picky, and the kids entering should want to be there, not coerced into being there.

Yea its a good thing they never learned to think for themselves,good parenting I guess. You are so full of shit.

What year did you graduate high school?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

94 and a tradesman. I didnt buy their bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Normally I'm a "Pay your debts and don't be a shithead" kind of guy.

But college admissions kind of turned into a meat grinder for kids starting with my generation.

We were told by guidance counselors from the time we entered 7th grade that you have to go to college to amount to anything. Doesn't matter what the degree is, just that you need one.

You know how many people basically got conned into paying for something that is useless to them? It's absurd. A big chunk of my class entered college for liberal arts or business administration, very few of those kids finshed, but still owed 10's of thousands.

Yeah yeah, they signed the paper, but they were told for years that if they didn't then they would grow up to be a loser and be living under a bridge somewhere....fuck the system that pushed so many kids into debt for their own benefit. The people that told them they needed to go should have been telling them that they aren't college material and they need to consider entering the work force immediately so they can build some marketable skills.

College admissions should be tough, and picky, and the kids entering should want to be there, not coerced into being there.
View Quote

That wouldn't be nearly as profitable for the schools. Part of the real solution here is a need to end student loans period. They artificially inflate the price of school making the schools a tidy buck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

My entire group has student loans. We have multiple people that have never paid (graduated around Covid), people paying the minimum because they refinanced at 1.8-2%. People that are paying the minimum because of grants or PLSF.

I have a few payments left on my 186k, and I do feel like a chump for paying all of it off. I could have placed the money elsewhere that was less interest or could make more money, but I just wanted to get through with it. Still, it's frustrating that people went years without accruing interest...yet I was because I wanted to pay.

The current US government policies penalize people for doing the right thing. Work harder or be more responsible...BAM, we screw you. Save money....BAM, we screw you. Don't work and be a POS...here's a check.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My entire group has student loans. We have multiple people that have never paid (graduated around Covid), people paying the minimum because they refinanced at 1.8-2%. People that are paying the minimum because of grants or PLSF.

I have a few payments left on my 186k, and I do feel like a chump for paying all of it off. I could have placed the money elsewhere that was less interest or could make more money, but I just wanted to get through with it. Still, it's frustrating that people went years without accruing interest...yet I was because I wanted to pay.

The current US government policies penalize people for doing the right thing. Work harder or be more responsible...BAM, we screw you. Save money....BAM, we screw you. Don't work and be a POS...here's a check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why didn't you work during the summers and pay for college instead of taking out loans?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If enough people say 'no', there isn't much they can do about it.
View Quote

Same as income taxes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the 10-15 years after you graduated they pushed it pretty hard.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

why didn't you work during the summers and pay for college instead of taking out loans?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Math?

A summer job that netted $46.5K would be about $300K/yr?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is almost wakeboarder/whitepill worthy. Well done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Early 2000's high school grad. Now an MD, paid off my undergrad already and most of my MD. I guess I'm still a worthless millennial freeloader though

I don't think the "pay up freeloaders" folks understand how expensive college can be, particularly for out of state students who don't have a scholarship.

Also, when I was in school every teacher, guidance counselor, and most parents strongly pushed college and threatened us that we'd spend the rest of our lives in fast food.

If conservatives were smart they'd go towards making college debt dischargeable in bankruptcy. It would strongly discourage lenders re making big loans for worthless degrees. But they instead keep wanting to feed the educrat bureaucracy.
View Quote
Yes.  

My parents - Go to college because your father didn't (he eventually did) and every job he took in the "old" manufacturing economy was gone by the mid-1980s.  Don't be a loser like dad.

Tradesmen - I don't tell my kids to join the trades, I tell them to go to school so they can maybe be in charge of one of these projects.  This is dirty work.  Get an office gig where there aren't port-a-johns.

Machinist - My boss is dick and always telling me what to do.  Get a degree and you can design what I'm machining and tell people what to do.

School - If you don't go to college you'll be stuck with an 82' Camaro with leaky T-Tops working at the closest fast food joint.  

This was the very early 1990s.  Almost all of the adults in my life told me the worst things about what it was they did.  College was supposed to be this glorious thing where you exited and were in charge of the world (LOL) and could just write your own check.  Of course, as a teen, I realized most of this wasn't true but still, no one was encouraging me to do anything but go to college.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In the 10-15 years after you graduated they pushed it pretty hard.
View Quote

They pushed it hard then too,I was taught that all debts come due. Also ,my first year in college,it didnt seem any different than high school so I went to work instead.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had zero undergrad loans, and was able to save up quite a bit to live on through grad school...but timing worked out really poorly with splitting up with my ex wife and her taking half of what I had saved (despite her not saving anything), me paying half of her extensive credit card bills, and lawyers, etc.

Tuition was $128k, probably another 10+ in books/fees etc, and I had to move every two months once out of the didactic portion. I refused to do Obamacare so paid another $300/mo(ish) for healthcare (so another 10k for that, and quite a few of my classmates did both Medicaid and SNAP). We also had to sign a contract that we would not work while in the program (although I did some moonlighting towards the end). No breaks, and one week's worth of vacation a year. 8-12hr days in the hospital plus studying didn't leave much time for working (for the majority of the program).

So essentially I lived off of 12k a year for three years. It definitely was worth it though!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top