Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Since member BUFFMAN has alot of knowledge on this subject as well as the 22 magnum, what is your opinion on the 22magnum out of the PMR30? Is it reliable pistol with the lighter 30-35grain pills? How about the heavier 45-50grainers??
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since member BUFFMAN has alot of knowledge on this subject as well as the 22 magnum, what is your opinion on the 22magnum out of the PMR30? Is it reliable pistol with the lighter 30-35grain pills? How about the heavier 45-50grainers??
View Quote
The only viable loads I've tested in 22 mag is the Speer Gold Dot. Even then it's penetration will be limited to 12". At least in clear gel. Then it's rimfire so it's reliability will always be in question.

22 Mag Equal To 5.7x28mm? Speer Gold Dot 40gr JHP

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard good things reliability wise about the new Walther .22 Mag, although capacity is 'only' 15rd.

But as Buffman mentioned, Rimfire is always dicey reliability wise compared to centerfire.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
True. The capacity of the PMR is a selling point.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Now. What’s the best ammo can for these small boxes! The regular 50 I can tell you does not allow the best fit. It needs to me about an inch wider to stack these tight like a puzzle .  I’m hoping to find a tall or fat 50 to see if those are better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like your opinion on this and so many other matters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Useless

@Ben  

What are your thoughts on the caliber and platforms?  I had a PS90 years ago that I ended up selling as the ammo availability and prices really limited it for me.  I've always regretted it as it was such cool, handy rifle that was so pleasant to shoot.  I keep toying with getting another.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the the looks idea behind the CMMG banshee 5.7
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the the looks idea behind the CMMG banshee 5.7
View Quote

Lol at the CMMG Dissent, it's bufferless.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Are we saying FN red box is superior to the Speer gold dots?
Link to in stock Red box?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Not much different then the 22TCM round!  Fun to shoot but otherwise....
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Buffman- you’re the expert on this round. What’s the perfect barrel length for this 5.7 round? I’m thinking of doing a TC encore or contender carbine. Have you ever tested this round in a closed breach system like the TC’s?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ll admit I didn’t surf all four pages of this thread, so someone might have answered thusly. I have nothing against the 5.7, but one can get effectively the same performance with the .22 TCM.  Perhaps not as projectile friendly but more reloading friendly.  Although the TCM does take a capacity hit because of its larger diameter, the parent company makes conversion kits for the Glock 17 and 19.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ll admit I didn’t surf all four pages of this thread, so someone might have answered thusly. I have nothing against the 5.7, but one can get effectively the same performance with the .22 TCM.  Perhaps not as projectile friendly but more reloading friendly.  Although the TCM does take a capacity hit because of its larger diameter, the parent company makes conversion kits for the Glock 17 and 19.
View Quote

Too bad you'll never find .22 TCM on store shelves, and handloading components are basically a wash between the two.

Also the part where bullet design is a huge factor in terminal performance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Back, when my pistol was a pistol and not a SBR, I carried these two concealed. Had one reload for the Rock and two for the Banshee. Both shoot awesomely. And I can put lots of rounds down range in a very light package.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the round and have both a Five-seveN and a PS90.
I can put 25 rounds into a fist sized group at 25m with a PS90  standing unsupported.
I can’t do that with an AR-15 or a Tavor.
I also have no issues reloading 5.7x28.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Back, when my pistol was a pistol and not a SBR, I carried these two concealed. Had one reload for the Rock and two for the Banshee. Both shoot awesomely. And I can put lots of rounds down range in a very light package.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/185372/5F30AF78-FDA1-451B-A121-9ACD73969E97_jpe-2740213.JPG
View Quote

Re: the top gun, define "concealed"
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

People often make the mistake of trying to apply a PDW system (the cartridge and platforms that fire it, both) to tasks or standards it was never meant for.

Let's put things in perspective. Yes, the 5.7 is a small round. It also has a much better ballistic coefficient than most rounds fired from a handgun. At  100y, the 5.7x28mm SS198LF round (so we are sticking to standard FN ammunition you can buy, not even addressing the better ammunition options from some manufacturers) has roughly 125% of the energy that a .38 Special has at the muzzle. It has the same effects at 250y with SS198LF ammunition that a .22LR 40grn projectile from a 10/22 has at less than 50 yards. I saw a local dude shot with one in the hip by a shooter several buildings down from him in Africa, and it not only dropped him instantly, but he was very dead before we got around to trying to render him aid a few minutes later.

Now- keep in mind that it has low recoil, and thus increased hit probability, coupled with excellent capacity. I am a pretty good pistol shooter- well above average, I have several leg medals towards distinguished in service pistol...meaning I'm consistently better than 90% of people who are competitive service pistol shooters. I would not place money on myself with my service pistol against an untrained monkey with a P90.

That all said, it is meant as a PDW. A personal defense weapon. It was not meant to replace carbines or rifles. It was designed and meant to be used when you needed a compact weapon, easy to stow away, and for which you could carry significant amounts of ammunition that are sufficiently lethal to be utilized defensively at 200m (220y) and less. For vehicle crews, helicopter crews, or someone who needs a go bag gun in their truck that fits into a small inconspicuous backpack (I highly recommend a truck vault/lock box if you do this) it is fantastic.

@Dissident
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Useless

@Ben  

What are your thoughts on the caliber and platforms?  I had a PS90 years ago that I ended up selling as the ammo availability and prices really limited it for me.  I've always regretted it as it was such cool, handy rifle that was so pleasant to shoot.  I keep toying with getting another.

People often make the mistake of trying to apply a PDW system (the cartridge and platforms that fire it, both) to tasks or standards it was never meant for.

Let's put things in perspective. Yes, the 5.7 is a small round. It also has a much better ballistic coefficient than most rounds fired from a handgun. At  100y, the 5.7x28mm SS198LF round (so we are sticking to standard FN ammunition you can buy, not even addressing the better ammunition options from some manufacturers) has roughly 125% of the energy that a .38 Special has at the muzzle. It has the same effects at 250y with SS198LF ammunition that a .22LR 40grn projectile from a 10/22 has at less than 50 yards. I saw a local dude shot with one in the hip by a shooter several buildings down from him in Africa, and it not only dropped him instantly, but he was very dead before we got around to trying to render him aid a few minutes later.

Now- keep in mind that it has low recoil, and thus increased hit probability, coupled with excellent capacity. I am a pretty good pistol shooter- well above average, I have several leg medals towards distinguished in service pistol...meaning I'm consistently better than 90% of people who are competitive service pistol shooters. I would not place money on myself with my service pistol against an untrained monkey with a P90.

That all said, it is meant as a PDW. A personal defense weapon. It was not meant to replace carbines or rifles. It was designed and meant to be used when you needed a compact weapon, easy to stow away, and for which you could carry significant amounts of ammunition that are sufficiently lethal to be utilized defensively at 200m (220y) and less. For vehicle crews, helicopter crews, or someone who needs a go bag gun in their truck that fits into a small inconspicuous backpack (I highly recommend a truck vault/lock box if you do this) it is fantastic.

@Dissident

Thank you.  

@Ben
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Dissident
View Quote

Thank you.  What about it's performance in a handgun such as the Five-SeveN?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my new S&W 5.7!  Awesome
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love my new S&W 5.7!  Awesome
View Quote

@DOG556

Care to give details on it? Been looking at one, but a couple instances of reported baffle strikes on suppressors has me wary.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Sure. What do you want to know!???
It just runs! I have FN and Federal ammo. Saving the FN ammo so shot mostly the Red Box American Eagle. It just goes bang every time. I did use a Holoson 407K. Direct mount. The screws did not fit.  Called CHPWS and they had me screws in two days. I love it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sure. What do you want to know!???
It just runs! I have FN and Federal ammo. Saving the FN ammo so shot mostly the Red Box American Eagle. It just goes bang every time. I did use a Holoson 407K. Direct mount. The screws did not fit.  Called CHPWS and they had me screws in two days. I love it.
View Quote

Have you used a suppressor on it? Any issues with baffle strikes?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]
No.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm looking at alignment issues with cans on my S&W. I think it's because the threads are WAY too long for most all .22 cans at .600"~ vs .400"~ So rimfire cans are indexing off the end of the muzzle

[youtube]shorts/D0yyRQRR4rk[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm looking at alignment issues with cans on my S&W. I think it's because the threads are WAY too long for most all .22 cans at .600"~ vs .400"~ So rimfire cans are indexing off the end of the muzzle

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/D0yyRQRR4rk
View Quote

Ah, that makes sense. They're cutting them to rifle length specs instead of pistol length.

SiCo, and I'm sure others, make a spacer to deal with issues like this.

SiCo 1/2x28 Rimfire Rifle Thread Spacer for .22 LR Suppressors AC114

ETA: posted before I watched the video where you specifically mention the SiCo spacer. Well played
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense. They're cutting them to rifle length specs instead of pistol length.

SiCo, and I'm sure others, make a spacer to deal with issues like this.

SiCo 1/2x28 Rimfire Rifle Thread Spacer for .22 LR Suppressors AC114

ETA: posted before I watched the video where you specifically mention the SiCo spacer. Well played
View Quote
Yep, I'm using the spacer. However on the S&W it's actually installed backwards to give me proper alignment. I'm assuming if I know a thing or two about QA I can take the barrel sleeve to work chuck it up in a lathe and check the runout on the sleeve?

I had another S&W user report that the 62gr Fiocchi subs are keyholing out of their gun. It's something that a lot of people don't check either.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
What I would like to see is a mini bolt action made in this caliber for youth hunting. 16” threaded barrel and a stock that can grow with kids. I would have my young sons using it for yotes, javelina etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What I would like to see is a mini bolt action made in this caliber for youth hunting. 16" threaded barrel and a stock that can grow with kids. I would have my young sons using it for yotes, javelina etc.
View Quote
someone said a bolt gun 5.7 isn't viable because of the increased pressure the case would see from a locked bolt, but I wonder if the guy is just blowing smoke. Savage was going to make a bolt gun, but they never made production.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
someone said a bolt gun 5.7 isn't viable because of the increased pressure the case would see from a locked bolt, but I wonder if the guy is just blowing smoke. Savage was going to make a bolt gun, but they never made production.
View Quote

Bogus info.
Pressure won't be any higher and the case would remain supported.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bogus info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bogus info.

Yeah, that makes no sense. Leaving it supported and not worrying about timing the action unlocking would let us take it to even higher pressures. Add in long loading bullets to take advantage of chambers cut slightly longer and we could even stay in the same chamber pressure area while picking up some speed.

I can't think of a single cartridge that can't be pushed faster/higher pressure in a bolt or other manually unlocked action compared to a semi.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bogus info.
View Quote
It sounded odd too. He told me SS197SR chamber pressure increased to 120K psi.. But you know "I heard it on the internet it must be true"
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Seems everybody is making 5.7 for the wrong platforms.

Full length rifles seems a huge waste of the cartridge,  but thats all the industry seems to be producing. A ruger 5.7 charger? Sub2k format? Fuck yes, but no.

Full sized pistols? Okay, but why? Thats a crowded space with a lot of "good enough". The round begs for a conceal carry format. Small frame, light pistol with a really high capacity.

The round suffers from a massive lack of playform innovation.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Full length rifles seems a huge waste of the cartridge,  but thats all the industry seems to be producing. A ruger 5.7 charger? Sub2k format? Fuck yes, but no.

Full sized pistols? Okay, but why? Thats a crowded space with a lot of "good enough". The round begs for a conceal carry format. Small frame, light pistol with a really high capacity.

View Quote

The brace nonsense has probably stifled any Charger-like 10" barreled pistols with a section of pic rail on the back. The pistols need the longer barrel to get the speed in order to avoid being "barely better than 22 WMR" or whatever guntubers would compare it to.

I thought PSA was working on a compact/G19-sized 5.7 pistol to compliment their full sized Rock.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The brace nonsense has probably stifled any Charger-like 10" barreled pistols with a section of pic rail on the back. The pistols need the longer barrel to get the speed in order to avoid being "barely better than 22 WMR" or whatever guntubers would compare it to.

I thought PSA was working on a compact/G19-sized 5.7 pistol to compliment their full sized Rock.
View Quote
The pistol barrel 5.7 guns outpace anything .22 WMR can not even achieve :D But you're right, the gain in velocity from the 5" to an 8-10" barrel is quite a lot and where this cartridge does best..  

PSA is and or is was. They hoped to have enough juice in the AAC load, that the barrel loss with would still equal velocities the 5" barrel would get with normal ammo. They still need to improve their loadings.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Laughs in P50
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
People
Keep saying a PMR30 or Walther WMP22mag is just as good ballistically.
View Quote

22WMR from a 5" barrel per BBI (40gr CCI): 1474 FPS
5.7 from a 4.8" barrel FN 57 (40gr Federal): 1655 FPS

They're not the same, but the argument is a lot closer than I ever thought it was until I actually looked up the numbers!
I will say I've shot small game with a 22 WMR (Rifle) and a 40 cal handgun and the 22 WMR had significantly more killing power in medium sized game (smaller than coyotes).  I had several raccoons and possums walk away after shot with a handgun round, never that I can recall with a 22 WMR.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Until a case failure happens because the straight blowback is putting too much stress on the cases..
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Until a case failure happens because the straight blowback is putting too much stress on the cases..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link to this occurrence?  ...and if you'd kept the quote string it would be obvious this was in response to the poster claiming there were no such firearms being made, not a claim of the P50 as the end-all/be-all firearm.  

(Absent widespread evidence of issues, I personally have zero qualms about trusting Kel-Tec engineering.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Link to this occurrence?  ...and if you'd kept the quote string it would be obvious this was in response to the poster claiming there were no such firearms being made, not a claim of the P50 as the end-all/be-all firearm.  

(Absent widespread evidence of issues, I personally have zero qualms about trusting Kel-Tec engineering.)
View Quote
Indeed, no disagreement about not having firearms meeting the criteria :D 14:15 ish into my review for the KB! Sheared case necks are not uncommon in 5.7, but it's only happened recently in the P50.

KelTec, P50; The Small And Mighty 5.7x28mm Handgun!

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Indeed, no disagreement about not having firearms meeting the criteria :D 14:15 ish into my review for the KB! Sheared case necks are not uncommon in 5.7, but it's only happened recently in the P50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOz04r7GEU
View Quote

Heh.  slam dunk answer.  

The p90 has a very fancy system (from an engineering standpoint) to prevent it being direct blow back.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Using straight blowback is lack of innovation. Blow back sucks in every way.

At least the Diamond back dual piston is innovative. I don’t like how there isn’t a shoulder for a can though.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top