Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/4/2017 1:51:57 PM EDT
5.7>9mm>.45

Velocity, range, capacity, recoil. What's not to like?

No, I don't have a FiveseveN, but I shot one and loved it. I just don't have the funds.

My 12" AR57 is freakin' awesome though. I like it better than my three 5.56 ARs of various lengths. 50 rounds up on top of the handguard is really sweet

It's my current HD "rifle" (I have a Phase5 padded buffer tube, no brace needed).

Bring the hate!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No complaints here. I had a few doubts about the cartridge until I shot a few hogs with it. 20rds and less weight than a G17, I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats up!

So is this a post whore thread?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
5.7>9mm>.45

Velocity, range, capacity, recoil. What's not to like?

No, I don't have a FiveseveN, but I shot one and loved it. I just don't have the funds.

My 12" AR57 is freakin' awesome though. I like it better than my three 5.56 ARs of various lengths. 50 rounds up on top of the handguard is really sweet

It's my current HD "rifle" (I have a Phase5 padded buffer tube, no brace needed).

Bring the hate!
View Quote

No hate to bring! Hey you should post a pic of rifle pistol or something in here. I can post it for you if you message it too me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The most overly hated round IMO
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Put a S3G or B-GRF trigger in that AR57*

*Don't try this with a .22 suppressor attached, it might compress your baffle stack
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Big fan of the round. I traded off my FiveSeven because of a few quirks I wasn't that fond of (safety location, mag disconnect) but kept my PS90. The FiveSeven was always a favorite on the range and ran flawlessly while I had it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Wish there were more types of ammo available in the civi market.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always considered getting a FiveSeven pistol..............
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's a solid round, you just have to be cognizant of what it is. I had a Five Seven and it was low recoil but the pistol was just too darn big so I sold it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
In before the “same thing as a .22 mag ” post...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My PS90 is my new favorite "in case I have to shoot a 2 legged varmint at my house gun"  
Damn thing is easy to handle in the house, or truck.  Keep it in a tennis racket case with 6 mags.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the “same thing as a .22 mag ” post...
View Quote
Well,......
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My PS90 is my new favorite "in case I have to shoot a 2 legged varmint at my house gun"  
Damn thing is easy to handle in the house, or truck.  Keep it in a tennis racket case with 6 mags.  
View Quote
Did you SBR it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I just remembered these guys...

Subsonic 5.7
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tennis racket bag fits my AR57 perfectly

ETA Dual racket bag to add my 10" 5.56 too. Never know when a buddy may need one!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Subsonic 5.7
View Quote
Can't wait to get a suppressor, but... funds
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The most overly hated round IMO
View Quote
But do you hate it? I value your opinion
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Brooooooooooooo the horn of gondor has been blown at the fivesevenforum

I hear chants of elite ammo elite ammo elite ammo  echoing in the hills
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Brooooooooooooo the horn of gondor has been blown at the fivesevenforum

I hear chants of elite ammo elite ammo elite ammo  echoing in the hills
View Quote

I can't afford that stuff! Nothing wrong with the FN choices IMO, but I would like more alternatives. Affordable alternatives.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Great range toy, especially the SBR PS90.

But if it were so wonderful, why are more police, Secret Service & militaries dropping it to move to....9mm? steel core AP will do everything the 5.7 does, with greater surface area & mass.

I've operated on score of people--nobody ever complained about what they were shot with, they simply bled. That said, the bigger area & weight of a 9mm or larger, well, physics, and shit....nevermind. Arguing calibers is like arguing religion or politics.

Don't even pretend it's a rifle round.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But if it were so wonderful, why are more police, Secret Service & militaries dropping it to move to....9mm? steel core AP will do everything the 5.7 does, with greater surface area & mass.

I've operated on score of people--nobody ever complained about what they were shot with, they simply bled. That said, the bigger area & weight of a 9mm or larger, well, physics, and shit....nevermind. Arguing calibers is like arguing religion or politics.

View Quote
And then there's those of us with options, who still don't have access to AP ammo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hear ya.

Ever seen a 50 round magazine for 9mm?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can't afford that stuff! Nothing wrong with the FN choices IMO, but I would like more alternatives. Affordable alternatives.
View Quote
I thought the ATF jammed um up over using solid copper bullets
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here is some physics you are missing.  At around 2200 fps, much of the stretch cavity becomes permanent cavity.  5.7 out of a PS90 does 2500-2600fps so yes it is doing tissue damage like a rifle round.  

50 rds of easily concealable 5.7 > 30 rds of 9mm IMO.  Plus a loadout would weigh much less.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here is some physics you are missing.  At around 2200 fps, much of the stretch cavity becomes permanent cavity.  5.7 out of a PS90 does 2500-2600fps so yes it is doing tissue damage like a rifle round.  

50 rds of easily concealable 5.7 > 30 rds of 9mm IMO.  Plus a loadout would weigh much less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My man!

I'd love a PS90 but my AR57 w/optic and accessories was right at $1000
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really like the AR57 upper.  It's very clever, and a ton of fun to shoot.  Extremely controllable.
View Quote
They are made local to me and there's quite a few in my area. I have one as well, and a FN57. I wish I'd had gotten the pdw and made a pistol version instead of my rifle one. I may have the barrel cut down and rethreaded, or go to the factory and see if I can get a trade on the current one   the current one is brand new and unfired. The owner is pretty cool to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I love the PDW concept. Way easier for support people to learn how to shoot a carbine effectively. Versus a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Finally!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hear ya.

Ever seen a 50 round magazine for 9mm?
View Quote
Do You even Spectre, bro?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#32]
The P(S)-90 is perhaps the best designed modern firearm. For its intended purpose,it's phenomenal. There isn't an easier to shoot gun in any caliber and the cartridge is plenty effective.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#33]
It's OK.  Would be better in a mini-minigun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I am waiting for Glock to build one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#36]
i have a PS90 and love it
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Subsonic 5.7
View Quote
any idea how many rounds for that $40?

ETA:

nevermind, its 50
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Another boutique round.

But yeah I wouldn't mind having an AR57 upper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Bullpups are ghey looking to me. Except the PS90. I want one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

9mm Steel Core WILL NOT penetrate like 5.7x28. Now that Elite Ammunition is offering DevestaTOR to "Joe Public", the penetration is MUCH better than FN SS190 A.P.

I hate using this example, but it is documented and not some "Well I heard from the guy at the local gun shop that it won't stop small mice"

Keep in mind, neither load used by the dirt bag was in anyway one of the better loads for the 5.7x28....

FORT HOOD SHOOTING...

Using SS192 and SS197SR ammunition (common commercial 5.7x28 ammo), several 20-30 round magazines and an FN 5.7 (shooter also had a .357 revolver but did not use it), Hassan killed 13 and wounded 32 people.

Many armchair ballistics expert criticized this result as proof that the FN 5.7 platform is not lethal enough because of the proportion of the fatalities to the wounded. Others have proposed that had Hassan used another type of pistol, 9mm or .45, there would have been more fatalities.

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.
2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.
3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

The following conclusions can be drawn:
1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.
2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.
3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R round can create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.
4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.
5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity. Her femur (the largest bone in the human body) was SHATTERED into 120 pieces.
6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.
7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:
1. The FN 5.7 is definitely a very lethal round. 100% fatality for COM shots.
2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.
2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)
3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.

This is a DOCUMENTED real world shooting as compared to "I was told by my brother-in-law who heard it from a gun shop employee" story.

In comparison, here is a LINK to another DOCUMENTED shooting where Officer had to place 17 ROUNDS OF .45 acp in a dirt bag to stop him.

I only carry an FN FiveseveN now as I trust it more than any 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 acp. The main issue I had was trying to locate a Duty holster and spare magazine carrier.

I carry Elite Ammunition S4M which chronographs OVER 2,400 fps out of the FiveseveN pistol and WILL penetrate Level IIIA body armor. In addition it will penetrate 1 1/4" bullet proof glass.

It's generally excepted that hydrostatic shock begins at 2,000 fps, some studies report it as low as 1,100 fps.

I really have to believe that for the U.S. Secret Service to adopt the 5.7x28 that had pretty good documentation of round performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AL-kv6bVkk
View Quote
Damn, man! I was just looking for a lighthearted 5.7 discussion but you went all out! I appreciate your info and analysis.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#41]
10mm is almost twice as good.

Seriously though, my cousin's got a FiveseveN Mk2 and I've shot it lots of times and it's made me want one of my own. Recoil impulse is hardly anything; feels like firing 115gr 9mm range ammo out of my M9. EXTREMELY easy to hold on target even when just flat out mag dumping. Nice accuracy, fun to shoot. I really love the unconventional index finger safety location too. Very simple to manipulate; I don't understand the derp, ah cayn't figger out this safety it's in the wrong location crap from people.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Tagged
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
10mm is almost twice as good.

Seriously though, my cousin's got a FiveseveN Mk2 and I've shot it lots of times and it's made me want one of my own. Recoil impulse is hardly anything; feels like firing 115gr 9mm range ammo out of my M9. EXTREMELY easy to hold on target even when just flat out mag dumping. Nice accuracy, fun to shoot. I really love the unconventional index finger safety location too. Very simple to manipulate; I don't understand the derp, ah cayn't figger out this safety it's in the wrong location crap from people.
View Quote
Try an AR57. All the fun of 5.7 with standard AR15 controls. And you can hollow out a 30rd magazine to catch all 50 cases!

I did a 50 round mag dump at 50 yards a couple weeks ago. Basically made a big hole the size of my hand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
The fact it's NOT a rifle round is the whole point. The reason why militaries aren't flocking to it is that Western militaries are mech heavy conscript forces, and it was never really intended as a police weapon, though for places like the NYPD that are basically conscript level paramilitaries, it would be a good weapon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whats up!

So is this a post whore thread?
View Quote
Nobody even pointed out OP was post #87
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bullpups are ghey looking to me. Except the PS90. I want one.
View Quote
Honestly I think bullpups are a solution looking for a problem, except in the case of the P90.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Damn, man! I was just looking for a lighthearted 5.7 discussion but you went all out! I appreciate your info and analysis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm Steel Core WILL NOT penetrate like 5.7x28. Now that Elite Ammunition is offering DevestaTOR to "Joe Public", the penetration is MUCH better than FN SS190 A.P.

I hate using this example, but it is documented and not some "Well I heard from the guy at the local gun shop that it won't stop small mice"

Keep in mind, neither load used by the dirt bag was in anyway one of the better loads for the 5.7x28....

FORT HOOD SHOOTING...

Using SS192 and SS197SR ammunition (common commercial 5.7x28 ammo), several 20-30 round magazines and an FN 5.7 (shooter also had a .357 revolver but did not use it), Hassan killed 13 and wounded 32 people.

Many armchair ballistics expert criticized this result as proof that the FN 5.7 platform is not lethal enough because of the proportion of the fatalities to the wounded. Others have proposed that had Hassan used another type of pistol, 9mm or .45, there would have been more fatalities.

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.
2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.
3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.
2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.
3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R round can create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.
4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.
5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity. Her femur (the largest bone in the human body) was SHATTERED into 120 pieces.
6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.
7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:
2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.
2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)
3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.

This is a DOCUMENTED real world shooting as compared to "I was told by my brother-in-law who heard it from a gun shop employee" story.

In comparison, here is a LINK to another DOCUMENTED shooting where Officer had to place 17 ROUNDS OF .45 acp in a dirt bag to stop him.

I only carry an FN FiveseveN now as I trust it more than any 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 acp. The main issue I had was trying to locate a Duty holster and spare magazine carrier.

I carry Elite Ammunition S4M which chronographs OVER 2,400 fps out of the FiveseveN pistol and WILL penetrate Level IIIA body armor. In addition it will penetrate 1 1/4" bullet proof glass.

It's generally excepted that hydrostatic shock begins at 2,000 fps, some studies report it as low as 1,100 fps.

I really have to believe that for the U.S. Secret Service to adopt the 5.7x28 that had pretty good documentation of round performance.

Yeah, because a dirtbag executing unsuspecting people with the element of surprise is totally comparable to performance against a hostile.

ETA: I think it says something that 5.7 proponents basically only point to the Fort Hood murders and Elite Ammo, who approached DocGKR contacted to test some of their ammunition under the FBI terminal ballistics protocols....and who never provided any ammunition to test. So one can safely conclude that they perhaps had reasons for not wanting their products tested in a standardized, systematic fashion against calibrated ballistic media.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, because a dirtbag executing unsuspecting people with the element of surprise is totally comparable to performance against a hostile.

ETA: I think it says something that 5.7 proponents basically only point to the Fort Hood murders and Elite Ammo, who approached DocGKR contacted to test some of their ammunition under the FBI terminal ballistics protocols....and who never provided any ammunition to test. So one can safely conclude that they perhaps had reasons for not wanting their products tested in a standardized, systematic fashion against calibrated ballistic media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FORT HOOD SHOOTING...

In conclusion:

I'm not saying he's right, or you're wrong, but he did provide an analysis even if it was a bit subjective.

Seems like you may have some preconceived conclusions. Why don't you like 5.7?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

FORT HOOD SHOOTING...

In conclusion:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FORT HOOD SHOOTING...

In conclusion:

I looked into the Fort Hood shooting as well and some of your conclusions are off.
From what I recall, almost all of his deceased victims were shot multiple times, including when they were on the ground. In other words, anchor shots.  
Yes it broke a woman's femur, 9mm, .45, .357 etc. could have done that too. Still, it is impressive for a small bullet
"4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones."
Actually, many people were only trying to run away. Others tried to hide. Very few tried to fight. None were armed. Your reasoning for why they chose not to fight back reeks of bias confirmation as do several of your other points.
You really seem to be seeing what you want, but there is no crime in that.

No, I am not pooping on the 5.7. I think it's a nasty little bugger with some definite advantages over larger calibers. It's just not the Grim Reaper some are making it out to be because of Ft. Hood.
Would I own a 5.7 pistol? Nope. I wouldn't mind an AR57 upper tho.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not saying he's right, or you're wrong, but he did provide an analysis even if it was a bit subjective.

Seems like you may have some preconceived conclusions. Why don't you like 5.7?
View Quote
Because I've read actual terminal ballistics information. I think 5.7mm is probably a decent SMG/PDW cartridge, when delivered in short FA bursts. Just not something I'd pick for self-defense from a semiauto pistol.
That its proponents for SD use generally repeat notions gained from a particularly slanted reading of a terrorist mass murder and try to apply them to a defensive encounter is also off-putting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top