Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1 knot = 1.15 mph

5 knots = 5.75 mph

View Quote
Thos are also good knots to know.  Your post is value added.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I vote:

1. Bowline
2. Taut-line Hitch
3. Clove Hitch
4. Sheet bend
5. Square Knot

What say you?
View Quote

I usually use three of these everyday for work. I agree what OP.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1 knot = 1.15 mph

5 knots = 5.75 mph

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1 knot = 1.15 mph

5 knots = 5.75 mph

I try to remember that kt:mph is roughly 7:8. That’s generally “close enough” for estimation and easy to work with, but if I need a bit more precision 13:15 is closer. I can’t think of a situation where 13:15 isn’t going to be more precise that whatever I’m using to measure speed in the first place.

Quoted:
Thos are also good knots to know.  Your post is value added.

Hell yes it is.

In this vein - each colored segment on a windsock that is inflated by the wind is equal to three knots:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Curios why prusik shows up so many times?  Outside of some rescue training I've not ever used one.  Tree stand hunters?  I mean, it's useful and all just not something I've needed.
View Quote
Instead of thinking of it as a climbing knot, think of it as a positioning knot.

For example, you have a tarp, with a ridge line.  You use this tarp wherever you camp, but sometimes trees or whatever you want to secure it to are different distances away from each other, or relative to the area you want covered with the tarp.  With prusiks secured to two corners of the tarp and wound around the ridge line, you can hang the ridgeline anywhere you want, in any conceivable orientation it's length will allow, then move the tarp exactly where you want it and set tension on it that's independent of the ridgeline's tension.

That's just one use but the most common for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Trucker's hitch has been one of the most useful in my life. Probably more than any other.
View Quote

I tied one last night, and mentioned to my wife that it was my favorite knot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
A dive into the obscura ...

Traditional climbing in eastern Germany.  

The rock is soft, and the local ethos is to use no modern metal climbing protection, instead, looping horned or handled features or jamming knots into constrictions in cracks.

Growing up, this was the stuff of legend.  Stuff beyond the wall.  Those who practiced the dark art only traveled West by rare government permit.  Mythical.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ULI knot.  
Triple Roll.

And never underestimate the power of the simple overhand knot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114265/knots_jpg-1733210.JPG
View Quote

I met Mr. Uli years ago at the Engineer's School.  I can't say that I used his knot much in the last 30+ years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A dive into the obscura ...

Traditional climbing in eastern Germany.  

The rock is soft, and the local ethos is to use no modern metal climbing protection, instead, looping horned or handled features or jamming knots into constrictions in cracks.

Growing up, this was the stuff of legend.  Stuff beyond the wall.  Those who practiced the dark art only traveled West by rare government permit.  Mythical.

https://cdn2.apstatic.com/photos/climb/107642192_medium_1494202000.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pVfM5AQeYyY/W1cFoAGiZ9I/AAAAAAAAABw/Y4B_HHpr5IUcK3Ts92T-IKYN22Ccs0U9wCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_20180605_120052%255B1%255D.jpg

https://www.climbing.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_700/MTM1MjQ3NDQ2OTQ2MDk3Nzk1/heidiwirtz511knots_26680.jpg
View Quote

Thats pretty cool.

Would need some non compressible ropes, I'm guessing. I could see this working better with old rope.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top