Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep going back to the cheap van chassis minibusses for this kind of build for the room.  You're liable to change my mind.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Picked up a roof rack off of craigslist.

This was important as I need it to hang my awning from.

They were asking 125.  I offered 80 bucks and they took it.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0503191859_jpg-933326.JPG

And farting around with some small trim work.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0503191922_jpg-933327.JPG
View Quote
You gonna cover them nasty wheel wells?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My van came with a similar roof rack, although I have three cross bars.

If you mount the awning on the outside of the bars, you may have a bit of a gap between the edge of the roof and the back of the awning.  This gap can let a little rain come through.  Not a biggy, but something to think about.  Those contractor bars a little different than most folks who mount the awning on the side of a basket.

I also lopped the "antlers" on the top, down to about 2 inches.  Enough to still be able to lash on a pole type item, but not so tall as to grab branches.  You can pick up plastic plugs pretty cheap on Amazon, to plug the top of tube, along with a little sealer.  These contractor racks are plenty stout.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Beating the heat might be a little challenging without putting on an rv a.c. unit.  But then I have comfortably slept under a tonneau cover in the bed of a pickup in July at oshkosh.  As long as you can have some ventilation I would think it will be fine.

I can tell you for a fact that I made sure it was insulated far better than 95 percent of the campers I have worked on.  

Heat if I use it in the off season will likely be with a propane powered little buddy.  Which with a little ventilation to pull in some fresh air will be absolutely fine.  There will be a co, propane and smoke detector installed before heat is used.
View Quote
This will be the best couple of hundred you ever spend.
My Sprinter has an Espar that costs 5 times the price but a few guys on the Sprinter Forum have used these with great success.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33006002585.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33006002585&aff_trace_key=846e0a53101243558006007cc2e3e577-1553939351672-05989-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=3544amp-egcIn5NR0tSahh6XipNIUw1556956946507
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picked up a roof rack off of craigslist.

This was important as I need it to hang my awning from.

They were asking 125.  I offered 80 bucks and they took it.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0503191859_jpg-933326.JPG

And farting around with some small trim work.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0503191922_jpg-933327.JPG
There is no rust on them.  

Yes.  I haven't decided exactly how I want to go about it yet.  I have a few ideas in mind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My van came with a similar roof rack, although I have three cross bars.

If you mount the awning on the outside of the bars, you may have a bit of a gap between the edge of the roof and the back of the awning.  This gap can let a little rain come through.  Not a biggy, but something to think about.  Those contractor bars a little different than most folks who mount the awning on the side of a basket.

I also lopped the "antlers" on the top, down to about 2 inches.  Enough to still be able to lash on a pole type item, but not so tall as to grab branches.  You can pick up plastic plugs pretty cheap on Amazon, to plug the top of tube, along with a little sealer.  These contractor racks are plenty stout.
View Quote
I think I may look for another set.  I would prefer three up there to better support the awning.  I can install an angle iron between the two to support the c- channel for the awning and get away with it.  but I would like a little more center support ideally.  I test fit it last night and the gap up there was small enough that I don't think it will be a huge issue.  Short of a wind driven rain from the right direction, The gutters should stop a majority of the rain.

Those racks are super stout!  I can rick the van by just grabbing one while on the ladder.  the van moves, the rack doesn't flex.    
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Sprinter has an Espar that costs 5 times the price but a few guys on the Sprinter Forum have used these with great success.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33006002585.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33006002585&aff_trace_key=846e0a53101243558006007cc2e3e577-1553939351672-05989-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=3544amp-egcIn5NR0tSahh6XipNIUw1556956946507
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beating the heat might be a little challenging without putting on an rv a.c. unit.  But then I have comfortably slept under a tonneau cover in the bed of a pickup in July at oshkosh.  As long as you can have some ventilation I would think it will be fine.

I can tell you for a fact that I made sure it was insulated far better than 95 percent of the campers I have worked on.  

Heat if I use it in the off season will likely be with a propane powered little buddy.  Which with a little ventilation to pull in some fresh air will be absolutely fine.  There will be a co, propane and smoke detector installed before heat is used.
That actually looks really interesting.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Espar has B Series for gasoline and D Series for Diesel.
If you do some more research they may have a gasoline knockoff also.
I still prefer the added safety of the Diesel heater over a gasoline powered one.
It comes with a 10L tank.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the wabasto version of this in my semi truck. I can tell you it is damn good and well you can damn near boil water for warm soup in a tin cup from the heat they work great.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Buddy gave me a few freebies for the van today.

Some stackable fuse holders, breakers and a really nice multi battery isolator.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I may look for another set.  I would prefer three up there to better support the awning.  I can install an angle iron between the two to support the c- channel for the awning and get away with it.  but I would like a little more center support ideally.  I test fit it last night and the gap up there was small enough that I don't think it will be a huge issue.  Short of a wind driven rain from the right direction, The gutters should stop a majority of the rain.

Those racks are super stout!  I can rick the van by just grabbing one while on the ladder.  the van moves, the rack doesn't flex.    
View Quote
I have the ARB 2500 with the aluminum shell, and two is plenty strong for the awning.  I have my solar panels between the first two, and a Rhino rack between 2 and 3.  Just enough room front to back for everything.  I did the same kind of flex tests, and nothing moves at all.

Correct on the gutters doing a good job.  In a straight down rain, I can sit in my side doorway and I only get a touch of rain.  My solar panel covers most of the width of my door, and I taped (VHB) an awning rail to the side of my panel, so I can add a small awning to span the gap, if I want to fiddle with it.

A company called "Sailrite" sells the nice awning rails (grooved aluminum track) and awing strips (hard plastic tube that goes in track) with a ballistic nylon edge that you can easily sew to tarps or cloth.  The awning rails can go up with 3-m VHB tape for a very stout connection.  With Sailrite goodies, you can do very custom first class awning  projects, and they sell first class extendable poles, grommets etc.  Done many an order with zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Threaded some 10 gauge wire to the front cabinet where the power panel will reside.

Then began the fun task of covering the rear pillars and wiring.

It took some work but it came around.

Organized and taped back the wiring.
Attachment Attached File

I used reflectix.  I began by putting it against the wall and cutting to the shape I needed and stapled along the corner seam by the rear pillar then folded it all back.  Again trimming it back and putting down a layer of gorilla tape and taping it down to that.  
Attachment Attached File

Then the felt had to be cut to shape and 3M super 77 used to glue it to the reflectix and the tape.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Wash, Rinse and Repeat.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking really good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Long day at work, I was however offered a nearly new roof top AC from work for free,  I turned it down as I want this to look as cargo van as possible outside.  Nothing exciting tonight.  Too pooped to work much tonight.  Just a little touch up and some better pictures with a real camera.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking really good in there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Long day at work, I was however offered a nearly new roof top AC from work for free,  I turned it down as I want this to look as cargo van as possible outside.  Nothing exciting tonight.  Too pooped to work much tonight.  Just a little touch up and some better pictures with a real camera.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/DSC04305_JPG-936863.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/DSC04296_JPG-936869.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/DSC04295_JPG-936871.JPG
View Quote
You could put some non descript item or "work"  box on top and hide the air conditioner in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You could put some non descript item or "work"  box on top and hide the air conditioner in it.
View Quote
I was thinking that, too. Make it look like a vent or whatever. Plus free appeals to me in the budget aspect of this build
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]
A lot of florist delivery vans have AC type units on top.  You could sticker the van to say 'ABC Florist' to keep the utility/work look.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A lot of florist delivery vans have AC type units on top.  You could sticker the van to say 'ABC Florist' to keep the utility/work look.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Disguise the AC unit in a gun turret:

Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
At last, a simple and elegant solution for condensation, school debt, and traffic problems in your camper van!

Ask how, call now!

*bottles of gunner piss not included
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
At last, a simple and elegant solution for condensation, school debt, and traffic problems in your camper van!

Ask how, call now!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ask how, call now!

PISS GRANADE!    
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Walking through the building at work yesterday...Parts guy told me to stop by and see him tomorrow.

So after pulling an all day road trip in the work truck I stopped by and talked with him a bit.  He was getting ready to liquidate some old stock and decided to give me dibs on some old stock.  He is one of the guys at work that has seen the van... Only a couple people at work have seen the van,  but everyone knows about it.  

100 bucks got me this today.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
ok, now you suck

Dang, the Noco is still in the wrapper, and the batteries look pretty new.  Can't tell whether they are starting batteries or deep cycle, but for 100 smackers I would have thrown my back out digging out my wallet.  Nice score.

I am new to Noco stuff, but I picked up one of their monster jump packs last fall (6.0 liter here, with two starting batteries), and have used it a couple of times with my neighbor.  So far, impressed.

Your pillar wraps are a great idea.  I cannot tell you how many evenings I have spent in my van, slugging beers and staring at all of my pillars, trying to decide what to do.  The pillar at the rear of my side doors is the run down from the roof solar, and back up from my charge center, to cable runs on both sides of my van.  My wires were on the outside of the pillar, and I was contemplating boxing things.  I got all my wires re-run and tucked inside the pillar, so now wrapping is an option.  debating about maybe using some elk hides, or make some mesh pockets for incidental storage, or maybe both?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ok, now you suck

Dang, the Noco is still in the wrapper, and the batteries look pretty new.  Can't tell whether they are starting batteries or deep cycle, but for 100 smackers I would have thrown my back out digging out my wallet.  Nice score.

I am new to Noco stuff, but I picked up one of their monster jump packs last fall (6.0 liter here, with two starting batteries), and have used it a couple of times with my neighbor.  So far, impressed.

Your pillar wraps are a great idea.  I cannot tell you how many evenings I have spent in my van, slugging beers and staring at all of my pillars, trying to decide what to do.  The pillar at the rear of my side doors is the run down from the roof solar, and back up from my charge center, to cable runs on both sides of my van.  My wires were on the outside of the pillar, and I was contemplating boxing things.  I got all my wires re-run and tucked inside the pillar, so now wrapping is an option.  debating about maybe using some elk hides, or make some mesh pockets for incidental storage, or maybe both?
View Quote
The batteries are labeled deep cycle/start batteries.  They are brand new,  old stock. The Noco is brand new.

I also sat and stared at those damn pillars for a good while too.  

Noco is dang good stuff. I used my buddies Noco charger conditioner to bring back some batteries that seemingly were shot with just basic charging methods.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
1988 Pete Ellis Vans - Bellflower, CA. commercial
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I'da taken that a/c.  

It's really coming together well man, I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Murder van?
View Quote
More like stranger danger/ rape wagon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
KA, not sure where you found that video, but now I know why my cop buddies and other friends call mine a rape/drug mobile.  If I dressed like those guys, I would expect to be pulled over by passing Police.

Goodn, not that you need my help, but if I found a deal like those batteries, before I made a custom enclosure/space for them, I would measure one out to make sure it was of a standard case size of perhaps quality batteries that you might replace with, just in case they do not hold up.  Then I would install, and run them like you stole them, which you did.

There are not a lot of companies that actually make batteries, and many times smaller label sellers will have them built by a quality maker.  You might be able to do a little digging to figure out who the actual maker is, to determine whether or not they are of good quality, or perhaps get the maker recommended charge profiles, to help maximize their life span.

Have you started shopping for big wire crimp tools on Amazon?  I see some serious crimping in your near future
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
What's the width?  How short does one have to be to fit on that bed?

5'9".  Found it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I hope you're ready for kidnapper jokes. Like it or not you'll be hearing a lot of them.
View Quote
@Obsoleteman

Do you still have it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
KA, not sure where you found that video, but now I know why my cop buddies and other friends call mine a rape/drug mobile.  If I dressed like those guys, I would expect to be pulled over by passing Police.

Goodn, not that you need my help, but if I found a deal like those batteries, before I made a custom enclosure/space for them, I would measure one out to make sure it was of a standard case size of perhaps quality batteries that you might replace with, just in case they do not hold up.  Then I would install, and run them like you stole them, which you did.

There are not a lot of companies that actually make batteries, and many times smaller label sellers will have them built by a quality maker.  You might be able to do a little digging to figure out who the actual maker is, to determine whether or not they are of good quality, or perhaps get the maker recommended charge profiles, to help maximize their life span.

Have you started shopping for big wire crimp tools on Amazon?  I see some serious crimping in your near future
View Quote
They are a standard size (group 24 IIRC).  I still have to decide if I want to make a tray for outside under the van or install them inside in a housing that vents outside.

Wiring will be pretty simple, and as far as crimping or soldering. That will be covered,  My boss will let me use the shop at work,  or I will do them at my buddies shop.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'da taken that a/c.  

It's really coming together well man, I'm jealous!
View Quote
It is still available if I wanted it.

It was sitting in the warehouse as of yesterday.  

Thanks!   It really is coming together.  I went in with a plan,  But as usual once things got rolling there was a lot of sitting down and thinking and plan changes followed by "Winging it".  LOL
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Got some time between work and a funeral to do a little more work on it.

I started work on the divider.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Can a chick be riding and not hit her head? These are very important details. Looks tight, a midget maybe...
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can a chick be riding and not hit her head? These are very important details. Looks tight, a midget maybe...
View Quote
You are a detail oriented guy!  

Under 5'6" would be a go.

Over would need the floor...

Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes! I've been waiting for you to cover up those hideous doors!
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#41]
This is awesome.

I will be shamelessly plagiarizing your ideas for my panel truck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is awesome.

I will be shamelessly plagiarizing your ideas for my panel truck.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks great. How much materials cost do you currently have in it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looks great. How much materials cost do you currently have in it?
View Quote
About 350 dollars for the wood,  screws,  glues,  hardware, insulation,  heat barrier and felt.

The batteries and charger I got a deal on at 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0512191944a_jpg-943275.JPG
View Quote
Surprised you’re leaving the “windows” open on the divider. Most builds I’ve seen close those off since the cab isn’t as well insulated as the rest of the van.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Surprised you’re leaving the “windows” open on the divider. Most builds I’ve seen close those off since the cab isn’t as well insulated as the rest of the van.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/0512191944a_jpg-943275.JPG
I am not quite sure how I want to go about the windows.

I like the center one. That might get framed and have plexi or something put in its place with a blind over it.  That is usable to see out of the beck when driving.

The other by the slider is going to have a tv backer and maybe a closable vent installed there.

So a small tv will be hanging there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Well. Its not done yet...

But,  it looks like I will be using it..

Took my wife to the ER at 1am and they admitted her at 7am.  And decided to transfer her to a hospital 80 or so miles away in a smaller town that has a specialist.

So I went home and grabbed some things and followed the ambulance there with my van.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well. Its not done yet...

But,  it looks like I will be using it..

Took my wife to the ER at 1am and they admitted her at 7am.  And decided to transfer her to a hospital 80 or so miles away in a smaller town that has a specialist.

So I went home and grabbed some things and followed the ambulance there with my van.
View Quote
Good luck.  Hope all goes well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good luck.  Hope all goes well.
View Quote
Thank you.  Me too.  She is in a LOT of pain.  They have been giving her fentanyl.

I cannot sleep in the craptastic chairs in the hospital.  So this might be as good of a time as any to use the van.  It might give me some other ideas too.

I grabbed a power inverter and a battery for the road trip.  So it is pretty minimal,  but it should do for what I need right now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Hows your wife doing OP?
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top