Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2019 6:28:55 PM EDT
A quick PSA from a gun smith, in regard to 1911s.

I know with the cheap and plentiful supply of AR-15s and the massive bloom of home builders. Most time the parts can be thrown in a bag shaken and it will pretty much self assemble.

Please do not think that all firearms are like that, especially the old 1911. And be aware that most places sell both stock sized and custom oversized parts. Oversized parts need fitted to the gun, stock sized on rare occasions will as well. DO NOT try and force fit the parts! Then use a screwdriver and try and pry them back apart. Messing up both the parts and the once nicely blued frame.

Today I've spent the last 3 hrs of my shift on a gun that was described. It would of been a nice 1.5 hr job if the customer didn't try to DYI. And he had oversized everything gut wise in it.

I know cool story bro, but its more of a "If its above your pay grade seek help before you make it more of a mess."
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck all that.  Ive got a dremel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Trump's fault
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Throwing a lower, buffer tube, and a lpk into a bag now, will report back with results after shaking well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know with the cheap and plentiful supply of AR-15s and the massive bloom of home builders. Most time the parts can be thrown in a bag shaken and it will pretty much self assemble.

Please do not think that all firearms are like that, especially the old 1911. And be aware that most places sell both stock sized and custom oversized parts. Oversized parts need fitted to the gun, stock sized on rare occasions will as well. DO NOT try and force fit the parts! Then use a screwdriver and try and pry them back apart. Messing up both the parts and the once nicely blued frame.

Today I've spent the last 3 hrs of my shift on a gun that was described. It would of been a nice 1.5 hr job if the customer didn't try to DYI. And he had oversized everything gut wise in it.

I know cool story bro, but its more of a "If its above your pay grade seek help before you make it more of a mess."
View Quote

I plan on doing a 80% 1911 one day, but come assembly time I will be having my local 1911 gunsmith guide me through choosing the right parts and assembly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throwing a lower, buffer tube, and a lpk into a bag now, will report back with results after shaking well.
View Quote
Need three squirts of CLP or it may not work
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You got my gun done yet? It was almost finished when I brought it to you
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Be sure to angrily throw the bag down driveway at the end or your castle nut won't stake.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Already tried it. Didn't work other than scuffing things up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
guilty as charged.

ETA:  but I dremeled my way into it...I'll dremel my way out of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah yes.

I bought a stock 1911 intending to use it to teach myself gunsmithing awhile ago.

Make Ready With Paul Liebenberg: Gunsmithing The 1911

A very... Educational and frustrating experience.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
guilty as charged.

ETA:  but I dremeled my way into it...I'll dremel my way out of it.
View Quote
I like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the Kunhausen books and said fuck it, it is too much hand fitting and too much work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]
1911's LOL, the weekend hot rod of the gun world. Work on them all week to take them out on the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I would not dream of trying to fit parts together on a 1911. I saw a video years ago on tv (outdoor channel) how some custom company builds 1911s. There were many iterations of filing and attempting to fit the slide on the lower. Like watching paint dry.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Fat guy wants to be a gunsmith then is pissed when he is asked to do gunsmith shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
No 2 weeks.. It will be ready in 2 weeks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1911's LOL, the weekend hot rod of the gun world. Work on them all week to take them out on the weekend.
View Quote
BOOM.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YOU SAID THAT 2 FUCKING WEEKS AGO
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Screw that.

Failure is part of learning.  Where this guy really screwed up is taking his firearm to a "gunsmith" in the first place.  He should have kept at it, until it was perfect, or he destroyed the gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fat guy wants to be a gunsmith then is pissed when he is asked to do gunsmith shit.
View Quote
LOL, Wants? Ha I is.. Not pissed either, just trying to save parts/finish on the gun. I get payed by the hr so it was a money maker for me, and not the customer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Screw that.

Failure is part of learning.  Where this guy really screwed up is taking his firearm to a "gunsmith" in the first place.  He should have kept at it, until it was perfect, or he destroyed the gun.
View Quote

Sounds like my first 1911!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm glad you're taking your time to make 1911's live to their full potential.  I wish every smith would take the time.

I have a Colt pistol that I wanted to take to Gunsite for a pistol class.  I gave the gun to well known gunsmith in Anchorage AK, who is acclaimed for his work on Marlin 1895's

Sure he said "we'll get the trigger down to 4#" and make it very reliable.   Imagine my surprise when prone at 50 yards my 1911 goes fully automatic.

Luckily the onsite smithy took care of it during the lunch break.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I took my first 1911 apart to change out the mainspring. It never was right again. I'm unsure how I got rid of it.

Oh a guy drove 100 miles and bought it in the dark, along with a rusty wingmaster that was painted. He lowballed the eff out of me.
I got my money back out of them though.

The second one I'm leaving alone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I built my first 1911 type pistol in the late 80s.  It wasn't perfect, but it worked just fine with 230 grain ball, and was acceptably accurate.

Fortunately, I didn't have access to the internet to tell me how difficult it was.

Later examples were better.  They do take a lot of work and time.

It might be time for another.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I continually have to remind some of my friends that most guns are not as easy to assemble yourself as an ar15 is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct. Shaken, not stirred.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I disagree. That’s how you learn.

I bought a beater S&W Model 10-8 a couple of weeks ago. It had a bobbed hammer, so I bought a new one and fitted it. It’s not perfect yet, but I was able to carefully fit it and make it function well, and will tear it down again soon to work in the DA pull. I’m impressed with the complexity and sensitivity of that gun’s internals, but I’ve done enough gunsmithing and machine work at this point to know how to to fuck it up right off the bat.

John Moses Browning was once an amateur too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Screw that.

I have the first 1911 that my dad worked on. It has a beaver tail grip safety “fitted” on it, and looks like it was done by a monkey wearing mittens.

His skills have much improved, but this one functions fine. I treasure it because of what it is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Yet another reason the 1911 is obsolete as anything other than a toy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better shake a chicken bone over it a few times to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]
On my SA 1911 to add a safety grip that didn't hurt my hand,  it needed a special beaver tail that required grinding on the frame. I bought a jig so I wouldn't remove too much material. I went slow and it took me 3 hours I think.
Just a biiiiit of pucker. Turned out ok, but that is my limit for gun smithing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Hopefully the OP is better at working on guns than he is at spelling and grammar.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn, I thought that Kimber would have sized the parts right to start with. I guess the 500 round break in period is so the owner can fire-swag the parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#35]
OP, what's your average fee for fitting a barrel?

I'm trying to find someone (locally if possible) to fit an aftermarket threaded barrel to my 1911 and don't want to get boned without lube.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Pshhhh, you should see what happened when my angle grinder and AR collided this morning

Nah but for real listen to the OP, 1911's ain't nothin to truck with.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought the Kuhnhausen books and said fuck it, it is too much hand fitting and too much work.
View Quote
+1, After researching the 1911's design and operation with Jerry's books. I learned how to do simple maintenance
and some minor upgrades like replacing the trigger and installing an aftermarket Ed Brown magwell. But
building the entire gun? Maybe someday when I have more time, all the tools and training yeah. But not now.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-M1911-M1911A1-Pistols-Kuhnhausen/dp/B01896004C/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1S0DLDRIDJU2R&keywords=jerry+kuhnhausen+shop+manuals&qid=1551570644&s=books&sprefix=jerry+kuhn%2Caps%2C187&sr=1-9
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a two Sistemas about a decade ago - one to keep stock and the other to build a custom 1911 on.  I am glad I did it but it was twice the work and money I planned on.  I did everything myself and learned a lot (beaver tail, all new parts, custom fit barrel, replaced tiny sights with modern ones).  The gun is accurate and reliable but doesn’t look as pretty as Wilson.  You have to have a lot of patience and be prepared for some parts to not work well.  Drop in on a 1911 means “sometimes” if you are lucky.  I did get lucky with the fire control group which dropped in and gave a perfect 4.5lb pull (except the grip safety).  Everything else needed filing and polishing and fitting etc..
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I plan on doing a 80% 1911 one day, but come assembly time I will be having my local 1911 gunsmith guide me through choosing the right parts and assembly.
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-M1911-M1911A1-Pistols-Kuhnhausen/dp/B01896004C/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kunhausen&qid=1551572422&s=gateway&sr=8-3

You'll need someting better than a harbor freight dial caliper to measure with too.....

My avatar is one that I did myself long ago..
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#41]
You’re not my supervisor!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#42]
In on Fudd thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I understand that reference!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
My EDC. And when it needs work I take it to a pro.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#45]
LOL you 1911 people, you can dremel a Glock receiver out of a hunk of velveeta with a jig kit that will operate more reliably than those archaic weapons.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Pie...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL you 1911 people, you can dremel a Glock receiver out of a hunk of velveeta with a jig kit that will operate more reliably than those archaic weapons.
View Quote
True that! Hell you can 3d print one that will work right off the table.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
PSA from the English speaking world. It is "need to be fitted." Get your GD illegal immigrant slang out of the internet
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hopefully the OP is better at working on guns than he is at spelling and grammar.
View Quote
Ha you funny man.. He has nothing to add, so lets rip on the OPs post. Hurr durr durr Im from Cali!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

PSA from the English speaking world. It is "need to be fitted." Get your GD illegal immigrant slang out of the internet
View Quote
another hurr durr durr!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top