BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My youngest daughter loves to make art.  She plays with paints, clay, all kinds of stuff.  But she's 7 and while I do support and encourage her to do it for fun, I am sure that a career in any kind of design field will be very hard to get in the coming years due to AI.

I am a hobby level photographer and never sold a photo.  But I did donate one to a charity auction and it went for $80.

I have used "modern" photo editing software occasionally.  I would have used it a lot more if it were easier to learn.  But the trouble is as a hobbyist, if you only occasionally need to use obscure features of the software, you haventonre-learn it.  Spend hours reading and watching videos just to get one effect into one photo.

Now as AI improves, I can see feeding it your base image and then just telling it in plain English exactly the editing operations you want done to the photo.  For example, "Only change the saturation level of the sky by negative 14 percent and make no other changes to the image".  This would be no different than separating out the sky as a layer andmaking the saturation adjustment manually.  But if it's not something you do regularly and the GUI is unfamiliar, it can take a novice photographer a long time to do what is a simple operation for someone who edits images for hours every day.  

The ability to tell an AI to do it will speed up the process for the casual user, and still be able to preserve those elements of the image the human photographer wants to display.  Now you can put a camera on a tripod and take 50 pictures of a famous landmark with people walking all around.  Then tell the AI to stack the images and remove everything that doesn't appear in all 50 frames.  Just like that you have one image of the landmark with zero tourists in it.

Currently, this can be done in software.  But I don't care if you use Adobe or Affinity Photo, or whatever, if you have never done it, you will have to spend a lot of time learning how.  

If we are going to be stuck with AI, we should find ways to use it to make producing genuine human art more convenient for the artist, rather than using it to replace human art.
View Quote

Well put, I feel as if it would also open the door to more potential artists that actually have unique vision.
Similar to the transformation from the classical and baroque periods of art to the romantic era, there was a opening of the art class from those paid by kings to those paid by the people. This in turn allowed a larger class to create art professionally.
If you have to work a 9-5 to keep bills paid and food on the table while raising a kid and doing chores, 1 hour prototyping and experimenting on ai is time much better spent than learning brushstrokes or shading.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Exactly.  If your “art” can be replaced by a machine, you never were an artist, you were a lesser machine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If AI puts you out of work as a writer or an illustrator, you were never an artist to begin with.

Oh, and dig this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9yIWBb4pY

It has nothing to do with bring a good artist. When it's found to be cheaper and easier to write music and screenplays with AI that's all we're going to get. Yay.

Exactly.  If your “art” can be replaced by a machine, you never were an artist, you were a lesser machine.

Is that why attorneys are already trying to keep, have already kept,  AI out of the courtroom?  What about when AI can run the robot that is removing your appendix, stitching your hernia,  or diagnose your illness.  No profession is safe.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I am waiting for AI music. I doubt it will be any more souless than the garbage pumped out for the last ten years.

The voice over technology is pretty amazing.

Donald Trump sings Ain't I Right by Marty Robbins [AI COVER]

The original 5 AI Crew sings Hallelujah

Joshua Graham Reads, The New Testament; part 1: The Book of Matthew

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good photography takes a heluvalot more than just pressing a button.
EDIT: See Avatar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, people use tools. But if all you're doing is inputting a prompt you didn't make shit.

If all you do is press a button on a camera you didnt make shit.
Yes!  And photography captures a moment in REALITY.  AI generates a fake interpretation of reality...
But I also agree that AI will cheapen everything, including art, and we will appreciate it less and less...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It’s a good thing.
View Quote

I tend to agree for the most part. I doubt it will ever be good enough to create something truly unique, so artists worth a shit will still have a job.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The argument has long been held that everything is derivative on that which came before.

Hell, there are 7 classical types of stories that just about everything falls under.
View Quote

I know. It still matters to me that a person wrote something with inspirations from their actual life or other media that is important to them. Just AI? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You will probably see MORE “piles of garbage” being sold.

AI has destroyed the market for incredibly drawn SciFi and Fantasy book cover art.  Those illustrators are out of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the consumers gobble up cheap AI written art while actual artists languish, then that's what humanity deserves. It will be interesting to see artists get less pretentious now that they have competition though, no more putting a pile of garbage on a pedestal and selling it as some complex take on humanity.

You will probably see MORE “piles of garbage” being sold.

AI has destroyed the market for incredibly drawn SciFi and Fantasy book cover art.  Those illustrators are out of work.

Book cover art is about as disposable as it comes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
For the record I don't care that much about the artist's having jobs. Not the reason I care about this. A lot of the artists I care about are already dead.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Book cover art is about as disposable as it comes.
View Quote

Every Tor sci fi cover ever agrees.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, people use tools. But if all you're doing is inputting a prompt you didn't make shit.

Devils advocate (not a photographer or AI nerd)
Does telling AI what to do take trial and error and learning?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Electronic music is cheaper and easier than spending decades to learn an instrument, yet we still do it.
View Quote

Electronic does not replace performance instrumentation, it replaces artistic composition.

I believe its the modern evolution of classical. Search up Thomas Bangalter, he was one of the members of daft punk, composed electronic music for the better part of almost 30 years, and has now written a ballet called Mythologies. The skill was always there, just used different tools.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Art has always been nothing more than a way to transfer a thought or idea into a visual representation.
AI is just another medium to do so, granted it may be easier than carving a statue or painting the Mona Lisa, but it also allows those less talented to express themselves.
Just another tool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For the record I don't care that much about the artist's having jobs. Not the reason I care about this. A lot of the artists I care about are already dead.
View Quote

If that's the case, then I think most true artists will still make it, even if AI has taken all of the easy jobs. Lots of people still make music in their free time for no compensation but because they enjoy it, same with painters, writers, and illustrators. As long as human beings are still around there will still be some form of art.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The professions are safe.

The mediocre “professionals” are not safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If AI puts you out of work as a writer or an illustrator, you were never an artist to begin with.

Oh, and dig this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9yIWBb4pY

It has nothing to do with bring a good artist. When it's found to be cheaper and easier to write music and screenplays with AI that's all we're going to get. Yay.

Is that why attorneys are already trying to keep, have already kept,  AI out of the courtroom?  What about when AI can run the robot that is removing your appendix, stitching your hernia,  or diagnose your illness.  No profession is safe.

The professions are safe.

The mediocre “professionals” are not safe.

No one is safe.  You are just as expendable as the checkout person at home depot.  Your one financial decision by someone else from ruin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another example of how photography is just pressing a button.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If that's the case, then I think most true artists will still make it, even if AI has taken all of the easy jobs. Lots of people still make music in their free time for no compensation but because they enjoy it, same with painters, writers, and illustrators. As long as human beings are still around there will still be some form of art.
View Quote

Music is actually a great example of this. Lots of artists still putting their stuff on Spotify not making shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The implications of this will not lead to more creativity and vision. It'll be the exact opposite.
View Quote

When you say this, it makes me think that you haven't seen what a couple of our members have created via AI in the Bing thread. Traditionally created? No. But it takes hours in order for them to get the system create what they want.

Is having a vision, but not the physical skills, any less creative? I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Someone recently sent me this DM on Instagram.  I guess it was supposed to be motivational, but in reality, the grotesque derivative work, ripped off from people put in the legwork and exposure to genuine peril, had a rather depressing effect.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

AI will never be able to simulate ennui, clove cigarettes and unemployed despair.

At least until the Sirius Cybernetics corporation comes up with this guy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263159/Marvinrobot-3136211.jpg
View Quote
They'll be the first against the wall.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When you say this, it makes me think that you haven't seen what a couple of our members have created via AI in the Bing thread. Traditionally created? No. But it takes hours in order for them to get the system create what they want.

Is having a vision, but not the physical skills, any less creative? I'm not sure.
View Quote

My thoughts about this are on a much higher level than people making images and sharing them here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Music is actually a great example of this. Lots of artists still putting their stuff on Spotify not making shit.
View Quote

Most new music is garbage thrown through a corporate and populist filter until it's just watered-down fecal matter without a soul that can be easily digested by the masses. Then it's arranged on your playlist by algorithms to tell you what you should like. Let the lemmings listen to some pop-diva lip-sync an AI generated song and waste their money on it if they want, I will just keep trying to find the guys putting out real music.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Why doesn't OP want Firefly season 2?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another example of how photography is just pressing a button.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/1X0A6484_jpg-3136217.JPG
View Quote

Sheesh im never going to hear the end of this one,
was just playing devils advocate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Let's see you press that button and compete with a pro photographer then.

What a stupid argument.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some things should stay buried.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#28]
People who care about art hate AI.  

People who love AI tend to be, in my experience, the ones most willing to cut corners.  Many are also self-righteous bastards about it.

I watched that shit infiltrate another board not so long ago.  It started with the nudge of one moderator to explore ‘the potential’.  Then it got a safe space so proponents didn’t have to deal with ‘bias’.  Then it was something the rest of the board ‘needed to learn to deal with’.  Then the opposition was ‘close minded’.  Now it’s a social offense to speak against it.  I expect soon it’ll be a measured infraction on the way to a suspension, if not a ban.

Thing is…art is about sucking.  Your writing, your music, your drawing…whatever.  Everybody starts off bad.  Some, through practice and dedication, become good.  A rare few may achieve greatness.  

AI is the comforting pat on the back to people who need a boot in the ass.  It whispers that it’s okay to suck, because life is hard.  It promises to grade on a curve to those who can’t be bothered, then offering assurance the lesser effort is just as good.

AI sucks.  The suckers who buy it are worse.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I agree.  AI art is worthless to me.  

If it wasn't created by the mind and hands of a human, it doesn't have any appeal to me.  It's fake, and no matter how "good" it is, it isn't an expression of another person's vision, emotion, ideology or anything else.  It's just monkey see, monkey do, with less soul than a monkey.
View Quote

What happens when you can’t tell the difference?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Scroll forward a few years where every TV show, every magazine/newspaper/website article is written by AI.  Every radio show, website, movie, phone help line, etc.  It'll all be AI and it's going to suck 8700 times more than it does now.
View Quote
well I mean, its all unwatchable bullshit now, getting worse than unwatchable just means holly wood will have to work harder to afford children to rape. this is my give a fuck face.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What happens when you can’t tell the difference?
View Quote

I can live without it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about star wars episode 7?

Feeling nostalgic for an 80s action film, but want your current favorite actors and John Wayne?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How about star wars episode 7?

Feeling nostalgic for an 80s action film, but want your current favorite actors and John Wayne?
View Quote

Star Wars can REALLY stay buried.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Centuries ago, artists had to have the patronage of the Church or wealthy noble families in order to make a living, granted the calibre of work involved was substantial - epic paintings and sculptures.

Art has been commoditized over the ages, and technology only made it easier before AI. Digital tools are more forgiving than analog media and facilitated the rise of disposable art for entertainment, and it was possible to work freelance or full-time without even having a formal art education in some cases. But this also caught on in developing countries; artists were at risk of being outsourced to someone cheaper overseas. Art is an entertainment related profession and it is subject to the whims of the economy - you've heard of massive layoffs from gaming companies recently, and AI had little to do with that.

What AI will do is filter true artists who possess original vision and the ability to express it, from those who can only mechanically produce something at the behest of their client. At the end of the day, it is about what value you deliver to the client, or what impact your work leaves on the audience. Artists are not entitled to jobs any more than anyone else is: they have to earn the respect of their audiences and clients. If they can truly do that, then I don't think AI is a threat to them - and I say this having worked freelance art as a side gig before.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Butlerian Jihad can’t come soon enough.
View Quote

but line won't go up

more shit pumped out and stuff down gullet=gdp line up
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
well I mean, its all unwatchable bullshit now, getting worse than unwatchable just means holly wood will have to work harder to afford children to rape. this is my give a fuck face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scroll forward a few years where every TV show, every magazine/newspaper/website article is written by AI.  Every radio show, website, movie, phone help line, etc.  It'll all be AI and it's going to suck 8700 times more than it does now.

300 million dollars for the last marvel flop.

Or, you download some passionate fans AI movie that isn't filled with left wing bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Most new music is garbage thrown through a corporate and populist filter until it's just watered-down fecal matter without a soul that can be easily digested by the masses. Then it's arranged on your playlist by algorithms to tell you what you should like. Let the lemmings listen to some pop-diva lip-sync an AI generated song and waste their money on it if they want, I will just keep trying to find the guys putting out real music.
View Quote

Thankfully there's still lots of good music being made even though most won't make much money or gain fame.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or, you download some passionate fans AI movie that isn't filled with left wing bullshit.
View Quote

Until Disney starts using AI to put chicks in everything and make them lame and gay. They will saturate the market with those fucking stinkers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are passionate fan made actual productions without AI.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thankfully there's still lots of good music being made even though most won't make much money or gain fame.
View Quote

Exactly, art is an expression of the human condition, I doubt true artists will be hindered much by some program making cheap imitations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can live without it.
View Quote

What happens when people can’t tell the difference between YOUR art and AI art.

Beyond art.
I see some scary things coming in our future. Between fake videos and media pushing narratives with full AI fake “proof”
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I agree with OP and I'm already starting to see fake images and other AI created rubbish everywhere. AI is replacing real content even in cases where the AI is subpar and inferior.

The future is fake. Almost everything will be fake. And yes, it's going to be very depressing and unhealthy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Beyond art.
I see some scary things coming in our future. Between fake videos and media pushing narratives with full AI fake “proof”
View Quote

Right. I hate it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, I saw where AI tried to produce architecture. It came out with a beautiful building…but. When you looked closely at it, the building did not work. It had stairways leading to nowhere. Rooms without doors. Dead end hallways…etc. just saying.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be perfectly honest, the last 50 Marvel Movies are about what I expect AI to come up with anyway.  Good original films haven't dominated Hollywood since the 20th century.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Beyond art.
View Quote

I alluded to this earlier, although maybe slightly less eloquently

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#47]
If it's good art, it's good art. Art has never been about the image on the paper, or the sound on the vinyl, it's always been about how it's perceived by the recipient. Good art is immutable, and will always be good, because it will make human beings feel something strong. The feeling is what is important. Anyone who knows the first God damned thing about art knows this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, I saw where AI tried to produce architecture. It came out with a beautiful building…but. When you looked closely at it, the building did not work. It had stairways leading to nowhere. Rooms without doors. Dead end hallways…etc. just saying.
View Quote

Was it a model designed for architecture?
With engineering inputs?

Shits GOING to get wild.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If a computer can easily make one by itself, consider that maybe the original wasn’t all that impressive in the first place?

I dunno. Just thinking out loud.
View Quote

Music at its purest form is math and patterns, which AI excels at. Humans just attach a shit ton of emotion to it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they're extremely limited in what they can do.

AI can be used to replace the multimillion dollar studios, and they'll push back very hard.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top