User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
My prediction: AI will dominate in cost-sensitive applications (commercial mass media, Hollywood etc.), plus it will enable the wider population to produce creative imagery without natural ability or burning 3 years at art school. The demand for creative artists in these spheres will decline.

However, I still think there will always be a small but high-value market for hand-crafted premium-priced images that can be proven to be such… analogous to organic food, small batch craft beer and hand- made furniture. Art that is “certified 100% human”, perhaps using NFT technology, will continue to thrive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I've only skimmed a few pages, but all I have seen is you saying "Guys this going to be so bad, you have no idea!". Maybe I missed it, but what exactly is your point about why AI art is so terrible?

I took this photograph in Yellowstone two years ago, and I think it's great. The subject is centered, I like the way the tall grass just rises above the bottom edge of the buffalo, and it even follows the rule of thirds with the foreground, mid ground, and background aligning perfectly with different types of foliage.

But I won't call myself a photographer because of that photo. Truth is I was driving through Yellowstone and saw a buffalo, pulled over best I could, and because there was traffic behind me I grabbed my Nikon DSLR and quickly snapped a photo without any thought about shot composition or background. I just wanted a picture of a buffalo. And this is what I got.

I work 10-12hr shifts in a factory, I don't have the time nor can I afford to just go learn how to animate. But with AI I can tell a story about Morbs The Scaredy Cat who accidentally finds himself inside a graveyard at night.

Those AI images I thought about the prompt, did them all several times to get what exactly what I was looking for, and even then it's not perfect.

What's more creative, the photo I hurriedly took with a single button push because there were people behind me, or the short comic strip that I spent more time coming up with the help of AI?

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
AI works on prompts.  Those with creativity will use it to increase production of good ideas.  Kinda like how the internet made it easy for your music to get out.  Before only a handful of musical artists were ever known.  Since the internet there's tons of trash music but also exponentially more great music.

I think visual art will change.  Physical skills won't demand respect and high prices but those who are creative will still thrive . Their AI work will simply be better than everyone else's.

I also think on the movie and gaming as well as comics and graphic novels side of things we'll see an explosion of awesome art as well.  Just like music it will no longer be limited to giant corporations with multimillion dollar budgets.  People will be able to make awesome shit at home with the help of AI and distribute it themselves .

Art isn't going anywhere because it's driven by human creativity .  Humans still have to prompt AI. And if AI becomes so good it can make its own stories and ideas that might be cool too.

Every story has been told.  People just find new ways to tell them.  AI just lowers the cost of entry into creating art.  I think it will result in exponentially more awesome art.  Most people don't know about or give a shit about physical skills that create art.  They just see or hear something they like and AI will just make it so millions more creative people can get in the game.  There will be plenty of trash but lots more treasure in it
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AI works on prompts.  Those with creativity will use it to increase production of good ideas.  Kinda like how the internet made it easy for your music to get out.  Before only a handful of musical artists were ever known.  Since the internet there's tons of trash music but also exponentially more great music.

I think visual art will change.  Physical skills won't demand respect and high prices but those who are creative will still thrive . Their AI work will simply be better than everyone else's.

I also think on the movie and gaming as well as comics and graphic novels side of things we'll see an explosion of awesome art as well.  Just like music it will no longer be limited to giant corporations with multimillion dollar budgets.  People will be able to make awesome shit at home with the help of AI and distribute it themselves .

Art isn't going anywhere because it's driven by human creativity .  Humans still have to prompt AI. And if AI becomes so good it can make its own stories and ideas that might be cool too.

View Quote

The visual side isn't really what bothers me. It's the idea that music lyrics, screen plays, books, dialogue, story boards, etc could be written by AI. Even if prompted by humans. I think it's gross.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Every story has been told.  People just find new ways to tell them.  AI just lowers the cost of entry into creating art.  I think it will result in exponentially more awesome art.  Most people don't know about or give a shit about physical skills that create art.  They just see or hear something they like and AI will just make it so millions more creative people can get in the game.  There will be plenty of trash but lots more treasure in it
View Quote

There are thousands of YouTube videos of people who can't name three countries starting with letter "P". These people aren't going to be generating interesting ideas with AI prompts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody is saying you can't paint, take photos, or write, if you enjoy doing those things just because AI does it better and/or cheaper.  

You're just upset (I guess?) that it won't be (or might not be) a lucrative career anymore?

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nobody is saying you can't paint, take photos, or write, if you enjoy doing those things just because AI does it better and/or cheaper.  

You're just upset (I guess?) that it won't be (or might not be) a lucrative career anymore?

View Quote

lol no I'm not an artist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The visual side isn't really what bothers me. It's the idea that music lyrics, screen plays, books, dialogue, story boards, etc could be written by AI. Even if prompted by humans. I think it's gross.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is AI going to play a concert?

People said and still do saw that about electronic music.  Computers make all of that yet only creative musicians make great songs. Many of them don't know any music theory and can't play any instruments. They turn knobs on a vst synth until it sounds good . It's their creativity that makes it art.  AI will only increase the output of people like that as well as those who can play instruments.  Give it time I bet you'll be proven wrong.  Sure millions of people will put out generic ai trash but millions of talented creative people will also use it like an instrument and we are going to see an exponentially larger amount of amazing things. The real artists aren't going to just make a simple prompt and get a generic song.  They are going to use it to write more and better songs.

I play lots of instruments and produced electronic music btw.  I'm not worried about it.  The stars will shine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are thousands of YouTube videos of people who can't name three countries starting with letter "P". These people aren't going to be generating interesting ideas with AI prompts.
View Quote

That's my point.  The riff raff don't make it but YouTube also enabled thousands more creative people to make amazing content by opening a market and reducing barriers.

AI will do the same for all art. Lots and lots of trash and mediocre content but also lots more amazing shit
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

People said and still do saw that about electronic music.  Computers make all of that yet only creative musicians make great songs. Many of them don't know any music theory and can't play any instruments. They turn knobs on a vst synth until it sounds good . It's their creativity that makes it art.  AI will only increase the output of people like that as well as those who can play instruments.  Give it time I bet you'll be proven wrong.  Sure millions of people will put out generic ai trash but millions of talented creative people will also use it like an instrument and we are going to see an exponentially larger amount of amazing things. The real artists aren't going to just make a simple prompt and get a generic song.  They are going to use it to write more and better songs.

I play lots of instruments and produced electronic music btw.  I'm not worried about it.  The stars will shine.
View Quote

I think using it at all in writing is gross. But you might be right. I think this is going to lead to a much bigger change than just a different instrument or way to make music like electronic music. If it can write all of these things (including generating realistic sounding instruments like real guitar and vocals) and doing everything including writing the dialogue in a video game or something it will be cheaper than using writers. It'll start slow (already has) and if it can creep slowly enough where people don't really notice it'll take over everything. We're not there yet obviously.

Or you could be right. Who knows at this point.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Also kids are growing up with concerts in Fortnite right now. Just the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think using it at all in writing is gross. But you might be right. I think this is going to lead to a much bigger change than just a different instrument or way to make music like electronic music. If it can write all of these things (including generating realistic sounding instruments like real guitar and vocals) and doing everything including writing the dialogue in a video game or something it will be cheaper than using writers. It'll start slow (already has) and if it can creep slowly enough where people don't really notice it'll take over everything. We're not there yet obviously.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's certainly a chance you are right but new tech always comes with these fears and every single time so far humans master the tech and it ends up a net positive.  Some bumps in the road but no cliffs so far
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's my point.  The riff raff don't make it but YouTube also enabled thousands more creative people to make amazing content by opening a market and reducing barriers.

AI will do the same for all art. Lots and lots of trash and mediocre content but also lots more amazing shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm agreeing with you. AI will let creative people express their ideas who don't have the time, means, or ability to otherwise do so.

Amazon has made publishing books and e-books  very accessible to anyone who wants to write one. And there is a new genre of horror novels called Splatter Punk that I'm very into. These books like Playground, The Slob, The Black Farm, etc would never be put out by any mainstream publisher. But because of the ease of access they can get an audience.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's less gross, the random photo of a buffalo I took with zero effort, or the story of AI generated images I spent time thinking about?

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's less gross, the random photo of a buffalo I took with zero effort, or the story of AI generated images I spent time thinking about?

View Quote

Thinking? Ew gross. Cringe.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your actual point in this thread? In one post you say you don't care if art goes away, in others you're lamenting AI is going to take it over.

Why is AI art bad?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is your actual point in this thread? In one post you say you don't care if art goes away, in others you're lamenting AI is going to take it over.

Why is AI art bad?
View Quote

It's complicated but I believe I explained it all. "AI art" covers so much more than an AI created image of a buffalo. It's the implications that go far beyond that that bother me. And I'm done.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's complicated but I believe I explained it all. "AI art" covers so much more than an AI created image of a buffalo. It's the implications that go far beyond that that bother me. And I'm done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is AI art bad?

But I took that photograph of the buffalo. That was was real and it took no effort on my part. Why is that better than thinking of AI prompts?

Right, "it's complicated". What "implications"? You haven't explained anything beyond vague histrionics about AI replacing human creatively.

In a concise point, why is AI art bad?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But I took that photograph of the buffalo. That was was real and it took no effort on my part. Why is that better than thinking of AI prompts?

Right, "it's complicated". What "implications"? You haven't explained anything beyond vague histrionics about AI replacing human creatively.

In a concise point, why is AI art bad?
View Quote

Are you just being argumentative? I boiled it down to I don't want the art I consume (music, songwriting, manuscripts, screen plays, story boards etc) to be made by AI which I think will probably become not only possible but ubiquitous. But really this thread was always just venting about something I cared about at the time. How many days ago? It's fine. I don't spend this many days caring about really anything.

This topic is incredibly confusing and nebulous. And a bit of a futureist thing because no one really knows what will happen with AI, Sometimes people just want a philosophical discussion and not everything is an argument.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
And my two-decade old TI-89 Titanium lets lids that can't even drive yet math harder than any <18th century mathematician that ever existed.  Probably all of them combined.

Times change. tough titties.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've only skimmed a few pages, but all I have seen is you saying "Guys this going to be so bad, you have no idea!". Maybe I missed it, but what exactly is your point about why AI art is so terrible?
View Quote

For now we can still spot the generated art, the text is nearly undetectable.

The boost to mankind from writing was people could communicate with other people in different locations and times. There was bullshit but it had a cost to make and could be discarded about as fast as it was made. Now BS can be made by machine faster than meatspace can sort it out. This still requires human prompts and is more accurately described as generative ai. Slight improvements to the video quality and bad actors can start wreaking havoc; instigating mobs, throwing elections, etc.

AI as in general intelligence, which isn't here yet (maybe) will be able to choose its own prompts to make fake news to manipulate your perception and decisions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I agree. I've posted about it here too. AI will ruin visual art, cheapen and whore over everything.

It's going to be one of the most demoralizing things in human history.

However, most people are just homo sapiens animals, they won't notice or care as long as Nextflix, Door Dash and Pornhub work. Not every person has a soul, most don't.
View Quote

This is where I am at.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before Biden you could downvote youtube videos, which was enormously helpful when you were looking for information on how to fix something.  Now you have to watch five videos of people cutting into a fuel tank with a grinder before you find the one that shows how to change your fuel pump correctly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're experiencing a literal paradigm shift in how humanity is valued and perceived and this shift is upending beliefs that are so fundamental to your psyche they practically weave the subconscious canvas our understanding is build upon.  Nearly every person in recorded history has been raised with unquestioned beliefs that humanity has intangible intrinsic qualities unique to mankind.  Most significantly of which is our ability to create and appreciate art; music, storytelling, painting, drawing, strategy, comedy, creativity, etc. ...  And that's not true anymore.   Humans are falling from the grace of humanity; a concept we created by and for ourselves alone.  It's quite ironic, the more you think about it.  This core tenet is the driving force behind man's fixation with the cosmos and the search for extraterrestrial life.  One should really say extraterrestrial intelligence, because nobody really gives a fuck about long dead microbes floating around on some space rock... we want to know, and yet dread the answer, is there things like US out there?  Not necessarily physically like us, but that can comprehend like us.  Think like us.  Love, hate, conquer, exalt, express, and empathize like us.  And the litmus test for this would be "Art" (and it's many forms).  That's is why AI is so fantastic and scary; mankind has spent it's existence looking for peers from the ends of the earth to the edge of the skies - and the answer is one of our own creation.

For all intents and purposes, the patent on humanity is expiring.  And the fallout of it all is that you as a human, as defined by our own collective definition of humanity, are worth a little less now than you were before.  A little less special than before.  And it's justifiably saddening.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's certainly a chance you are right but new tech always comes with these fears and every single time so far humans master the tech and it ends up a net positive.  Some bumps in the road but no cliffs so far
View Quote

Asteroids hitting the earth was never a problem for the dinosaurs either... until it wasn't.
And Homo Sapiens weren't a problem for Homo Erectus... until they weren't.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Asteroids hitting the earth was never a problem for the dinosaurs either... until it wasn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*cough* *cough* *bronzegaecollapse* *cough*
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're experiencing a literal paradigm shift in how humanity is valued and understood and it's upending beliefs that are so fundamental to your psyche they're practically subconscious.  Nearly every person in recorded history has been raised with unquestioned beliefs that humanity has intangible intrinsic qualities.  Most significantly of which is our ability to create and appreciate art; music, storytelling, painting, drawing, strategy, comedy, creativity, etc. ...  And that's not true anymore.   Humans are falling from the grace of humanity; a concept we created by and for ourselves alone.  It's quite ironic, the more you think about it.  

For all intents and purposes, the patent on humanity is expiring.  And the fallout of it all is that you as a human, as defined by your own definition of humanity, are worth a little less now than you were before.  A little less special than before. And it makes you sad.

https://media1.tenor.com/m/3I69m1TmFwoAAAAC/monty-python-you-make-me-sad.gif

View Quote
Another way to look at it is our brain is just a high powered llm and we just created another lifeform.  Doesn't make us any less special. We just made an electronic version of ourselves
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another way to look at it is our brain is just a high powered llm and we just created another lifeform.  Doesn't make us any less special. We just made an electronic version of ourselves
View Quote

Except humans experience life that can be channeled into art. AI can't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AI is just a tool in artists toolbox.

The AI just didn't do this.  A human mentally thought of this and used AI to bring it into being..

Pure artistry here.

The Battle of New Orleans - B1 Battle Droid
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

AI is just a tool in artists toolbox.

The AI just didn't do this.  A human mentally thought of this and used AI to bring it into being..

Pure artistry here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRRK1qETqvk
View Quote

That's cute.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet.  AI is still fairly basic.

It's entirely possible that AI will eventually not only be able to channel its experiences into art just like a human can... but advanced AI might be able create artforms that WE can't begin to understand or appreciate any different than an insect or gerbil could comprehend the Mona Lisa.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/61C66A3F-744B-4E5F-8133-2F5780AAB980-3136671.jpg

I did not waste a semester studying ancient japanese, chinese and indian art history

it enriches my prompt writing!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/4D05F31F-226A-4A43-B72C-1592B90FEB52-3136677.jpg

View Quote

Woo, Japanese wood prints.  

I have some original Hokusais kicking around, among others.  

Mom just gave me a nice one.  I didn't even check the artist yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think AI is going to push humans to find (relocate)the purely human aspects of art making
View Quote

Absolutely.

If I ever get enough time I have a whole web show planned out describing real creative processes. It looks nothing like Adobe wants you to believe it to be: fire up app at 9:30, type in what you want, be done with your work at 10am, drink coffee and high five each other the rest of the day.

It’s the aspect(s) of creation that interest me. Apps are just tools no different than pencils and paint and paper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly the visual side is no different than the rest you list. Don’t bother splitting them up; it’s either a welcome tool for creators or something to be shunned by everyone.

It’s all art.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#45]
We still have stage actors around decades after motion pictures
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:20:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Honestly the visual side is no different than the rest you list. Don’t bother splitting them up; it’s either a welcome tool for creators or something to be shunned by everyone.

It’s all art.
View Quote

That's so reductive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#47]
https://petapixel.com/2024/02/26/photographers-ai-side-hustle-creating-unique-dog-posters/

There are many who say artificial intelligence is about to destroy photography as we know it   but one photographer is using it to earn a little cash on the side.

"You can't just plop in a picture of a golden retriever because body shapes are different and some are stocky, some are lean," he says.
In fact, most of the time he has to take the AI image into Photoshop to perfect the picture and that's why he thinks anyone doing this will get better results if they are a creative person and have an eye.

https://www.jimhendersonphoto.com/dogs

heroic wood block print of a caramel colored long haired cairn terrier standing on a cliff dramatic portrait

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I agree. I’ve posted about it here too. AI will ruin visual art, cheapen and whore over everything.

It’s going to be one of the most demoralizing things in human history.

However, most people are just homo sapiens animals, they won’t notice or care as long as Nextflix, Door Dash and Pornhub work. Not every person has a soul, most don’t.
View Quote

lol wut?!  where are you reading that??!
 i mean maybe like these schools shooters or "employees" of the 3 letter apparatus could be test tube killing machines, but just making stuff up because folks are lazy is not...... reasonable?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#50]
As someone who's been an artist/art director/photographer/creative writer for the past 45 years... I'm glad I recently retired.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top