Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd take either. I'd be killing an awful lot of animals to make rendered fat/grease, though, unless there were coconuts/palm trees around. One could use those to make oil if they were industrious enough and bored enough, all that would be left is how to make solvent?I'd also probably make some sort of scabbard for said gun out of something, like skins or banana leaves or something to keep it dry-ish when it rains.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
for defense: AK! 7.62x39 will stay on target even after going through jungle foilage. 223 will deflect and end up somewhere else.
for hunting/survival food acquisition: AR = more accurate, more food.
--People use cover... animals not so much; if you wait them out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Then the "no argument" thing disappears under the scrutiny called "real life".

Are you suggesting that popping a few rounds off at the range and playing COD isn't "real life"?

For shame.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I left half of a box of winchester 12 guage steel in a duck blind, they were sitting in the open on a shelf of the blind with no roof and nothing over the box, when i went hunting again 2 years later the box was shit and the shells looked like hell, lots of crap on the brass, i scrapped the junk of the brass and got them to chamber in my berreta, so i had to try and fire one, boom, and another boom, every dam one of them shells fired, 2 years of minnesota winters and humid summers didnt touch these.
Quoted:
Quoted:
i would take a pump shotgun because of the simplicity and the wide range of ammo. I could use bird shot for killing smaller game and pest control, i could use slugs for killing larger game/predators at longer range and could use 00 Buck for close range protection,.

A Rem 870 Police Magnum would be my pick.

How well does the shotgun shell hold up in a continuously moist environment? I have seen many people mention the shotgun and I know from some reading and conversations that they are fairly popular in some of the South American countries, but I don't know if it if function or legality that makes it so. I know from my own Remington Slugger shells are what you would consider sealed,  but how well do other rounds hold up over an extended period.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AK. Being as this is a jungle and there is a lot of brush I want a bigger round that can cut through it and still kill my target. Jungles are also pretty humid and I would want a weapon that isn't affected by humidity. Wet dirt and mud would also bind up actions which is bad so I want something with loose tolerances large clearance as well. Easy choice in the situation.

Tolerance and clearance are two different things.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Stereotype Thread 87.

Just when you thought it was safe to come back to the internet....
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Ak. Ammo, etc
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok
 and if you just keep a rag soaked in CLP in a ziplock back you would be surprised how long it will last.

I had one I kept in my pack for over 6 months, and it was still good.

I agree the CLP will run out if your shooting everyday, but its a non issue.

If your shooting everyday for 3 yrs, ammo will run out before the CLP.

And if you can find ammo you can find lube(motor oil etc).

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:
An AR wouldn't look like that.

The only rust you will get on the AR is the barrel, BCG, and FCG.

Since the BCG is in the receiver, it would protect it from most rust, if its chrome plated
even better.

You would be surprised how long a AR will run with no cleaning.

Free

Quoted:
Sounds like people think the jungle is full of CLP trees and one spot of rust will make an AK explode.
Would an AR in this condition run?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xe4Ki85kF5E/TGMVF7YHTEI/AAAAAAAAAmM/HBYisBpNExo/s1600/gun+somalia+pirates+mogadishu.jpg

WRONG! Moisture will collect inside that receiver and commence the rusting. Like I said how big a pack do you expect to carry a supply of cleaning chemicals for THREE YEARS in the jungle? Also, in this case you would be better off choosing a grease, since it will not migrate or run off.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Stereotype Thread 87.

Just when you thought it was safe to come back to the internet....

GD is never safe

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes logistics, ammo and parts availability is more important than ergonomics. I say for this mission, I would most likely choose an AK.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure it will rust a bit, but since the receiver is aluminum they won't rust shut if your pulling the BCG group out every day or so.

If the BCG is chrome plated it should be even better.

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the BCG is in the receiver, it would protect it from most rust, if its chrome plated
even better.

Free

Quoted:
Sounds like people think the jungle is full of CLP trees and one spot of rust will make an AK explode.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xe4Ki85kF5E/TGMVF7YHTEI/AAAAAAAAAmM/HBYisBpNExo/s1600/gun+somalia+pirates+mogadishu.jpg

WRONG! Moisture will collect inside that receiver and commence the rusting. Like I said how big a pack do you expect to carry a supply of cleaning chemicals for THREE YEARS in the jungle? Also, in this case you would be better off choosing a grease, since it will not migrate or run off.
Check yourself...I think Free knows more than you do..

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#12]
funny how everyone thinks one drop of water will make a AR rust shut

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

even better.

Free

Quoted:

Check yourself...I think Free knows more than you do..

Moisture in a jungle environment will penetrate "sealed" electronics, do you actually believe that a chamber that is not "sealed" will block of the moisture in the air. Chrome and oil are the only protection and oil tends to migrate and wear off as does chrome. As for the chrome unless you have chromed every part of the BCG you will get rust.

Unless you are pull BCG and wiping it down with CLP on a regular basis you are going to have moisture collecting inside the chamber. Which goes back to my original points, just how much CLP are you intending to carry around for three years.
rock on, I am sure you got more jungle experience than free and I do.....

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#13]
AR15
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You could make grease from animal fat, that could easily be used to coat your AK and keep it from Rusting or at least keep it in working order. The same can't be said for an AR as AR's need special lubricants.....

A quality AR will fire about a thousand rounds dry, without cleaning, before needing lube.

I can attest to this. When I did lube it, it was with motor oil, which isn't particularly special, and the rifle worked just fine.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top