Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2024 3:49:04 AM EDT
That'll definitely put them red dots to the test in this extreme cold.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Good gun pic.

But Holosun?

It's a major state LE agency. They should be picking Trijicon or Aimpoint.

Not eotech-those are garbage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good gun pic.

But Holosun?

Not eotech-those are garbage.
View Quote

You know how a lot of these deals go down, Somebody's always got their hands in the cookie jar.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It's the 509T I think. There was scuttlebutt about this awhile back. Also looks like SoA DoC will also transition to this as well.

Edit for DoC NOT DoT.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured they all carried G20 for bears and such.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Well when government agencies make decisions it takes a long time. Holosun has been making an enclosed emitter for a while in the 509, and it works well. Trijicon took their sweet time and only recently released their design so it’s really their fault for not getting a better design out sooner.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Good on them for replacing garbage caliber (I have, and still have done many [.40]) with a good caliber.  I am not going on duty with a China sight though. “Dog ate my China sight.”
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#9]
it will be interesting to see how those optics stand up to LEO duty use and abuse
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
With all the limp-wristers getting in LE these days this change might increase reliability across the board. Not everyone can handle the awesome and superior power of the FO-TAY.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
it will be interesting to see how those optics stand up to LEO duty use and abuse
View Quote

My son's department ordered new Glock G45's cut from the factory for Aimpoint Acro's. My boy has been using an Acro for the past year and half on his Staccato doing his SWAT shit and it's held up well. He's not a big Glock lover, but he said the G45 with Acro is a pretty damn good combo and he shoots that almost as well as the Staccato.

I have a couple of Holosun 509s. Zero issues, but I'm not using them daily, just some dynamic range training and a couple classes. Sucks their Chinese, but Holosun made a good optic.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Just as good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good on them for replacing garbage caliber (I have, and still have done many [.40]) with a good caliber.  I am not going on duty with a China sight though. “Dog ate my China sight.”
View Quote

There is a pretty well known taxidermist in Alaska who used his Smith & Wesson 40 cal iand taking multiple interior Grizzlies using Sig 180 grain hollow point ammunition at fairly close range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow. 9mm.

Jeez
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was there many moons ago when we switched from the S&W 4006 to the G22 (which I considered a vast improvement).  At the time you could qualify on your own personal 45-70 for such events but you had to provide your own ammo.  
I had a 45-70 at the time and I really regret not having qualified on it, alas a rookie trooper in a bush posting with a young wife and family meant the ammo required for the course of fire was pretty expensive.  Really wish I had put more thought into it at the time because it really would have been cool to have a Glock on your hip and a lever gun in the truck.  I just spent a lot of time with the issued 870 and Brenneke slugs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You know how a lot of these deals go down, Somebody's always got their hands in the cookie jar.
View Quote

It could be. It could also be the Troopers haggling with management and management picking the best gun but the cheapest optic.

I'm also still surprised they picked 9mm given that Moose, Grizzlies, and other wild game are, uhh, all over Alaska
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
New batch of police trade-in Glock 22s at AIM Surplus in One . Two. Three
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm also still surprised they picked 9mm given that Moose, Grizzlies, and other wild game are, uhh, all over Alaska
View Quote
Um, yea, and then there's that little thing about everyone wearing heavy jackets...  Best mm seems like a much better choice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing like going from a hot squad car to -20F. Do you think there will be some complaints?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My son's department ordered new Glock G45's cut from the factory for Aimpoint Acro's. My boy has been using an Acro for the past year and half on his Staccato doing his SWAT shit and it's held up well. He's not a big Glock lover, but he said the G45 with Acro is a pretty damn good combo and he shoots that almost as well as the Staccato.

I have a couple of Holosun 509s. Zero issues, but I'm not using them daily, just some dynamic range training and a couple classes. Sucks their Chinese, but Holosun made a good optic.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Glock makes like 6 different optic cuts at the factory now, they just refuse to offer them outside of department orders. Friggin’ insane that you have to pay out the nose or be out your pistol for a month or more to get a factory glock with an RMR cut. The MOS shit sucks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m really not surprised at the G17 selection as bean counters are all about the cheapest options they can get.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Given the climate and local fauna I would think simply sticking with .40 cal would be the most intelligent and cost effective option.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m really not surprised at the G17 selection as bean counters are all about the cheapest options they can get.
View Quote

If they were switching to gen 5s, they'd need new holsters too for the 22s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Glock makes like 6 different optic cuts at the factory now, they just refuse to offer them outside of department orders. Friggin’ insane that you have to pay out the nose or be out your pistol for a month or more to get a factory glock with an RMR cut. The MOS shit sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

They don't even sell 17 Gen 5 with an MOS cut anymore except for department orders.
Civilians and blue labels are stuck with either custom cuts or the 47 Gen 5 MOS.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It could be. It could also be the Troopers haggling with management and management picking the best gun but the cheapest optic.

View Quote
Many documented kills of bears with 9mm
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I too am kinda floored they chose Holosun. I wonder, is there any chance they have or plan to open any manufacturing in North America? Call me paranoid, but if they are all made in CN, they could be putting/sneaking anything in those....
View Quote

The only way to get USA products is to state in the original contract wording that is has to be made in the USA.  I'm sure the Alaska evaluation process took a couple of years to get through.  Someone has to make the justification to the Chief for a new weapon system.  The Chief's office has to approve the process.  Then they have to budget for it.  Then the evaluation had to be conducted.  Once a final weapon is approved the state contract office has to complete the purchase paperwork.  I'm thinking Trijicon did not even have an option when the pistol contract process started.  

Everyone complains about the Chinese sight but the radios on the other side of the gun belt have been made in China for years.  David
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably just as many kills with choking on a femur bone.

Quoted:
Um, yea, and then there's that little thing about everyone wearing heavy jackets...  Best mm seems like a much better choice.

I don't think there's any validity to the 9mm fails against heavy jackets argument especially with modern rounds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I would have thought AK Troopers would be carrying 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bears and Moose aren't nearly as big a threat as vagrants and village exiles
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They don't even sell 17 Gen 5 with an MOS cut anymore except for department orders.
Civilians and blue labels are stuck with either custom cuts or the 47 Gen 5 MOS.

Kharn
View Quote

Glock changed that the 17Gen5 MOS is available to all again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#34]
They’ll need those in their upcoming war with Russia
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

that'd be the wise thing. or possibly get a g40 so you got some barrel length to speed up the bullet
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nothing like going from a hot squad car to -20F. Do you think there will be some complaints?
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.  I don't own their enclosed emitter unit anymore, but the one I briefly had did not impress me.  I did not test it going between temperature extremes, so I could absolutely be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#37]
oh goody

now they can hire more 5’1” females who can qualify

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#38]
also, holosun has a secret pro line aka LEM law enforcement military so they are duty grade. they get more QC...  hence those are the 509ts there getting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Who knew AST were a bunch of poors.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

12ga
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But Holosun?

View Quote

Trijicon no make good bribe

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are already holding up in Ukraine I'm sure they'll do fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here but probably keep something larger in their vehicle. I would think at a minimum they would need to be able to “dispatch” larger animals that were struck by vehicles
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#44]
L-O-fucking-L

"But!-But!-CHINESIUM!!!"

LOL
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the condensation will occur when the lens is cold and the air is warm (higher moisture content).

So if they have to do a tactical entry into a sweat lodge they are effed
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We did a lot of testing over 3 years before we widely authorized red dots for pistols. We found no difference in durability between holosun and trijicon. Holosun had a slight advantage in ease of battery change. We change batteries at annual qual. Over that period of time, none of the batteries died between changes.

During the winter months, I wipe my lens with an anti fog cloth before I leave the house in the morning. Same for my patrol rifle in the car. Time spent on the process about 10 second each.
View Quote

Interesting, Holosun appears to have stepped up their game over the past few years.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#47]
The Arlington, VA PD uses Holsuns on their G17s after the officer completes the RDS qual course.

I've asked individual officers if they can put an RMR on the gun and they all just shrug their shoulders.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I love my 509t, it's a fantastic optic, of course I put it on my G20
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wow. 9mm.

Jeez
View Quote

A decade or so ago a NYS Trooper got killed with a Glock 17 in  his hand after shooting and hitting 2 bank robbers that fired upon him and fled. They now carry 45
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Nothing wrong with the Holosuns for duty pistols at this point.

And if your dealing with an animal, you should likely be addressing it with a long gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top