BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a pretty ignored/unknown demographic, but it would probably be a majority here.  So sound off if you are Scots-Irish in this poll
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a thread about whether people consider themselves English, and a lot of people said they were Scots-Irish.

This is a pretty ignored/unknown demographic, but it would probably be a majority here.  So sound off if you are Scots-Irish in this poll

Not in the South.

ETA: The Scots Irish aren't the same as the Scots. They're the descendants of Scots who immigrated to Ulster. The smart ones GTFO to the US.

My family with my last name came here in the very first wave, they settled in western Massachusetts.  Most other Scots Irish settled in PA, WV, VA, NC, KY, and TN.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Scottish, Irish, German and Indian. My surname is English but that was because it was changed to an English sounding variation of a German name when my ancestors came here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I guess I have the Scottish part covered.

Apparently one of mine was part of the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. He had his choice at trial in London: Death, or,  Banished to the colony.
He was not an indentured servant though. Once he hit the ground running he was a free dude and not long afterwards, he and his sons owned a few plantations.

*List of rebel prisoners imported by Capt Edwd Trafford, in the Elizabeth & Anne from Liverpole, Liverpool, England to Yorktown, Virginia
14 January 1716:

Silvester Prophet
View Quote

My Scottish ancestors were at one time very wealthy and high ranking nobility. The ruins of one of their castles still stands today and I have visited it. Ironically they backed William Wallace at the time of his campaign but later in the 16th century declared themselves loyalists to the British Crown and indebted themselves so deeply in the Kings service during the Scottish Civil war they lost their fortune. Hence the migration of my direct ancestors to The Colonies. They however regained their fortune as slave traders and plantation owners until the American Civil War once again left them penniless.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My friend who lives in Dublin (who moved there from Anchorage and was a friend for years) visited Belfast, and he said he saw guys who resembled me everywhere.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What on earth is a  Scots-Irish?

You might know them as Ulster Scots.  

They are Ulster Scots who migrated to America.

Aah, you mean dirty Prod bastards
I have heard my name is very popular in Ulster and Leinster (sp?)

My friend who lives in Dublin (who moved there from Anchorage and was a friend for years) visited Belfast, and he said he saw guys who resembled me everywhere.  

I fit in anywhere I go in Ireland until the accent betrays me. One of my co workers deduced my lineage on his own and often refers to me as "You Big Irish Fuck".
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
1/2 Scots, 1/4 each Irish and German

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
My great grandfather on my fathers side came from Ireland and my mother said she never understood anything he said. That is as much of my ancestry as I am sure of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Mostly European mongrel here with a rumor of Indian(feather) and or black mixed in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a thread about whether people consider themselves English, and a lot of people said they were Scots-Irish.

Not in the South.

ETA: The Scots Irish aren't the same as the Scots. They're the descendants of Scots who immigrated to Ulster. The smart ones GTFO to the US.

My family with my last name came here in the very first wave, they settled in western Massachusetts.  Most other Scots Irish settled in PA, WV, VA, NC, KY, and TN.  

Mine got both. The first part came over with the Arbella, others came later to Kentucky and moved to Texas.

Quite possible that our ancestors had arguments on the boat ride over.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You really have no frame of reference to judge us on this topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lulz

You really have no frame of reference to judge us on this topic.

Sure I do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Grandfather was born in Dalton, GA. and my Grandmother talked of having relatives that owned Slaves. So I thought we fought for the South, but as I was researching my family tree I found out that we came from a part of Tennesse that was heavily settled by Scots Irish. My Last name is like Smith and Jones in Scotland and Ireland so I'm going with Scot Irish.

By the way we fought for the North because the people in that part of Tenn did not believe in Slavery do to the fact that the Scots Irish have been forced into Slavery through out thier generations.
View Quote

This is a lie, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton told me that only blacks have ever been slaves and deserve reparations for it .   On a serious note, Scottish descent here. A couple of my grandfather's sisters traced the family tree back to early 1700s Virginia arriving from Scotland. They ended up in West Virginia ans many are still there today.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
My Scottish ancestors were at one time very wealthy and high ranking nobility.
View Quote

on one side I have two Generals, one in the 42nd another  with the Bengals who was quoted by Churchill, a Baron, I have heard of a Laird, and my Greatgreatgradfather owned an estate. There was a village named after us, a Manor (gone) and there still stands a cemetary ant a huge Celtic Cross
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Half
My grandmother Irish grandfather Scottish.  My other half Italian.  
Apparently I have three relatives that fought in the revolution.  Screw the English.  Top gear is the only good thing that's come from England and even Clarkson is a cock to Americans on that show but he's generally a cock to everyone so it's par for the course.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mom always said her family was Scotch-Irish and Black Irish (even though she was blond w/ blue eyes).

Other half is Italian. Made for some epic family drama.

View Quote

Someone who knows my pain.  Amazing my parents are still together but I guess they both embrace the drama.  I married an american kraut with a quarter Irish in her. Way less drama.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#18]
1/4 Scots
1/4 German
1/2 Norwegian

yes I can drink a lot and get sunburnt easily.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I come from along line of great Scottish and Irish big dick knights and kings who fought in every battle known to man and came out victorious regardless of which side they were on. Furthermore the women were all of the highest quality stock with large busoms and a noble demeanor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

MacDonald is probably Scotch-  Irish.  O'Brien and Connell probably southern Irish.  (Unless the Connell is McConnell)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.

Connell, O'Brien, MacDonald

And a little Italian thrown in there as well.  (Mellino)

MacDonald is probably Scotch-  Irish.  O'Brien and Connell probably southern Irish.  (Unless the Connell is McConnell)

I didn't state that very well.  Yes, The MacDonald is relevant to this thread.  I included the O'Brien and Connell  to show the Irish.  My Grandfather MacDonald (maternal) had a very extensive genealogical history of our family that I never got to see.  He passed several years ago.  I'll have to ask my Mom if she has a copy of it.  

I am in possession of a very old shillelagh from the Irish lineage.  I've been told of its age but I cant remember exactly now.  A couple hundred years anyways.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I got some of that too. That's the crazy part that will go Mel Gibson on you.

Quoted:
My ancestors raped, pillaged and subjugated your ancestors.
View Quote

The Vikings probably did the same thing to yours.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, even have a castle & golf course in my name.   Plus I love to play golf and drink Guinness.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ummm, they neither kicked nor saved Irelands ass twice, come to think of it they didn't saved Britains ass either, neither once nor twice.
You should learn some facts
View Quote

Anyone who thinks the Brits were winning WW1 or ww2 without America is delusional. The best they were doing was a stalemate. The Brits lost the revolutionary war and war of 1812 as well. Kicked out and never regained anything. Can't call it a "win".
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Where's the video of that redheaded Irish gal way mad over the results of a soccer game ...
View Quote

Never seen it but now I kinda want to
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My ancestors raped, pillaged and subjugated your ancestors
View Quote

That would be my ancestors too, Norseman and Pict
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not safe for young ears ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=143OGMSUedA

And yeah, I got some Scots-Irish in me ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's the video of that redheaded Irish gal way mad over the results of a soccer game ...

Holy fucking hell.

Craziest redhead EVAR.

Anyone got her number?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be kinda interesting to observe a conversation between her, and these two ...

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Part Scots - Irish & Part English....Even have some Polish thrown in there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#31]
100% Irish as far back as we can track.  My kids were the first "mutts" in the family.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You see, that's where you're completely wrong.
That girl is wearing a Celtic shirt.
Celtic are a Catholic team.

Scots-Irish are dirty Proddy bastards whose allegiance would be to Rangers, a dirty Proddy team.

Big difference.

You're clutching at straws and don't know what you are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see, that's where you're completely wrong.
That girl is wearing a Celtic shirt.
Celtic are a Catholic team.

Scots-Irish are dirty Proddy bastards whose allegiance would be to Rangers, a dirty Proddy team.

Big difference.

You're clutching at straws and don't know what you are

So here's an honest question for you, Bradders ... In the UK, are Anglicans considered to be Proddy bastards too?

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Skeen, as in skene dhu, the boot knife
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Family are Scots-Irish that immigrated from Ireland around 1719.  More than likely due to the Penal Laws of the late 17th Century.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#39]

No Scott, just Irish.  Growing up I was told there are two sorts of people in the world; Those that are Irish, and those that wish they were.

Our family had lands and a keep on the Northern shore but it fell to the Brits.  I've never been to Ireland but would love to make the trip someday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Paternal grandfather = Sullivan. Paternal grandmother = McLeod.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#41]
<--(Last name)

What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I suspect there is great confusion in this thread and this poll.   It's not Scotts OR Irish.

I'm not sure some would even go to their respective sides in an Old Firm match.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#45]
There's a castle in Scotland with my last name on it. I didn't get to visit it during our last visit there
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Meh. Scots-Irish was a term invented to separate Northern Protestant Irish from the Catholic South. I've "Scots-Irish" on my maternal side and Irish on my paternal side. Along with
some Pennsylvania Dutch. Go look that one up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Meh. Scots-Irish was a term invented to separate Northern Protestant Irish from the Catholic South. I've "Scots-Irish" on my maternal side and Irish on my paternal side. Along with
some Pennsylvania Dutch. Go look that one up.
View Quote

You Hun  
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Sir William Emmet Kyle and a line of Gibboney.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Sir William Emmet Kyle and a line of Gibboney.
ETA: Proud enough to double tap.  Been that kind of day.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top