Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of me wonders if Gamergate was the wakeup call for a lot of the internet freefolk, people who generally had little interest in politics to begin with.

I think it was a digital/ideological Pearl Harbor event -  SJWs and liberals weren't just those people who went after the "religious right" as a usual back and forth where "both sides are wrong" or some other throw away thinking shortcut would dictate.

It had come for them too. The morality police left runs their playbook on anyone who isn't a member of their church, or a designated victim group of theirs.

They woke up, and when the next political cycle happened, and the SJWs began the "ist/ism" accusation game, the internet freefolk had joined the battle.

With figures they had familiarity with like Assange and Kimdotcom coming out against Hillary, they have, in my opinion, picked a side on this.

As a guy that's been a republican for a while, to me they're that greenghost army from Lord of the Rings
I think Gamergate was a big part of it.  This was the last PC-free space in our society.  And it was also the first major defeat for the SJW types in the Culture War.  

If someone wanted to get a synopsis of the gamer gate issue, where would you find it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy
tl;dr version: A bunch of gamers saw the same kind of leftist crap that dominates other art happening in games.  Magazines would promote shit games with PC themes (literally, one was a game about being depressed), and give inordinate attention to twatwaffle feminists who got their panties all wadded-up over Mario saving the Princess.  You know, the same shit that almost guarantees that every movie that wins an Academy Award is unwatchable shit about gay cowboys eating pudding.  The basement-dwellers immediately went nuclear, with a preemptive strike unleashing the full fury of the internets - doxxing, memes, threats, harassment, and online bullying.  The SJW attempted to retaliate with their usual arsenal of public shaming and safe spaces, but such tactics were ineffective against an enemy immune to any concept of shame or hygiene.  Feelings were hurt, lulz were had, but at the end of the day, Call of Duty is still about straight males shooting stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bye, Felicia.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I agree - they aren't Republicans. They aren't even conservatives as the term is defined on Arfcom.
Then again, neither are you or I.

http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/catalog/thumbs/misc/deadtomeband.jpg
Bye, Felicia.  

kek
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
tl;dr version: A bunch of gamers saw the same kind of leftist crap that dominates other art happening in games.  Magazines would promote shit games with PC themes (literally, one was a game about being depressed), and give inordinate attention to twatwaffle feminists who got their panties all wadded-up over Mario saving the Princess.  You know, the same shit that almost guarantees that every movie that wins an Academy Award is unwatchable shit about gay cowboys eating pudding.  The basement-dwellers immediately went nuclear, with a preemptive strike unleashing the full fury of the internets - doxxing, memes, threats, harassment, and online bullying.  The SJW attempted to retaliate with their usual arsenal of public shaming and safe spaces, but such tactics were ineffective against an enemy immune to any concept of shame or hygiene.  Feelings were hurt, lulz were had, but at the end of the day, Call of Duty is still about straight males shooting stuff.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of me wonders if Gamergate was the wakeup call for a lot of the internet freefolk, people who generally had little interest in politics to begin with.
I think it was a digital/ideological Pearl Harbor event -  SJWs and liberals weren't just those people who went after the "religious right" as a usual back and forth where "both sides are wrong" or some other throw away thinking shortcut would dictate.
It had come for them too. The morality police left runs their playbook on anyone who isn't a member of their church, or a designated victim group of theirs.

They woke up, and when the next political cycle happened, and the SJWs began the "ist/ism" accusation game, the internet freefolk had joined the battle.
With figures they had familiarity with like Assange and Kimdotcom coming out against Hillary, they have, in my opinion, picked a side on this.

As a guy that's been a republican for a while, to me they're that greenghost army from Lord of the Rings
I think Gamergate was a big part of it.  This was the last PC-free space in our society.  And it was also the first major defeat for the SJW types in the Culture War.  

If someone wanted to get a synopsis of the gamer gate issue, where would you find it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

Thank You!!

After I wasted time on the wiki link and following all the different links, I still wasn't sure who the bad guy was.

Now it makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PEPE is the new 1%?

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

I think they're claiming legion.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pee-Pee or Peh-PAY?

PEH' pay
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
PRAISE KEK!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.  Pretty sophomoric.

Better if several yelled Chelsea Hubbell
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb yelling out something only a few people would understand. Might as well go yell 87, fo, or beans no beans.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Pretty sophomoric.

Better if several yelled Chelsea Hubbell

Normies out RRREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PEH' pay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pee-Pee or Peh-PAY?

PEH' pay

Let's ask a Canadian.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Came for the dank meme's.  Stayed for the pirate tranny qoutes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Trump did the Smug Pepe pose during his RNC acceptance speech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Know Your Meme:

About
Pepe the Frog is an anthropomorphic frog character from the comic series Boy’s Club by Matt Furie. On 4chan, various illustrations of the frog creature have been used as reaction faces, including Feels Good Man, Sad Frog, Angry Pepe, Smug Frog and Well Meme’d.

Origin
In 2005, artist Matt Furie created the comic series Boy’s Club, which stars the teenage monster characters Pepe, Brett, Andy and Landwolf.

Pepe is kinda like a mascot for 4chan, like Arfcom used to use the "Fuck You, I'm an Aardvark!" meme (although I haven't seen it for a while).  Pepe is versatile and can be modified into different forms.

Once Trump started running, somebody made a Trump Pepe The Frog with the hair and smug smile.  It went viral and became a symbol of the alt-right, spreading beyond 4chan to other sites (even here).

Net result is that if someone shouts "PEPE!" at a Hillary pep rally, he is basically saying "Hillary, you are an object of ridicule; we don't fear you; and we are everywhere, even here!"  

The best part is, can you imagine being the guy who has to explain Pepe to HILLARY?    I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that.  

Staffer:  "OK, so there is this place called 4chan... and there is this frog..."  
Hillary:  "What in the FUCK are you going on about?  You're fired!  Get me someone who can make sense."

4 staffers later....

Hillary:  "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!"

Best explanation so far.

I'll also add that Hillary believes this "troll' internet is a part of the "Alt-right" movement. Which would include 4chan in this wide net of "racism and bigotry" she claims to be fighting agaisnt.

When in all reality 4chan is just a cesspool of weaponized autism and leans no particular way. Plenty of Bernie supporters and CTR shills are contributors to 4chan as well. Just happens that a good amount are trump supporters.

So, leading up to this "monumental" speech, she was hinting it would be attacking people who "draw racist frogs on the internet" or some other blabber. Which turned into "nazi frog pictures".

Basically she was trying to tie Trump to the far right then internet trolls, then to the "Alt-right", then to the KKK. Which completely backfired since right as she was getting to the juice, so to say, one of those racist trolls yelled out a battle cry. Akin to the Brave heart speech.

It was glorious.

Trump did the Smug Pepe pose during his RNC acceptance speech.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Pepe needs to become the allahu snackbar cry of Clinton rallies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have plans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have plans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have plans.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's neat to see the meme militia forming at the center this election

I can't believe the GOP is the "cool" party for the internet kiddies? Like what the hell, if you went to sleep in 08 and woke up today it would look like bizarro world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did some reading on "pepe" and it still makes no sense to me.

That's the point.  It doesn't make any sense.   It WAS merely a big inside joke on the Internet, primarily on 4chan (like "Fo time" or "87" is used here), until Hillary accidentally made it into something else.  Here's how.

Pepe used to be merely one meme (among many) for a loose Internet-based, anti-Hillary, anti-establishment, somewhat-pro-Trump movement that communicates primarily via social media.  Picture is worth 1000 words, so a picture with a caption photoshopped onto it (called a "dank meme") is the most efficient way to communicate a concept.  We do that all the time here on Arfcom, and some pictures don't even need a caption to make their point.

Pepe was fun because it could be used in a lot of ways.  One way was to draw Pepe to look like Trump, including the hair and suit so he would be immediately recognizable as Trump.  Some people used it as an anti-Trump symbol, but over time it became more of a pro-Trump symbol -- or at least an anti-Hillary and anti-Establishment symbol.

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1452/47/1452474567021.png

Hillary's campaign allegedly found some Pepe pictures online where "white nationalists" had put racist and/or pro-Nazi symbols on Pepe.  She wanted to play it like Pepe was the darling child of both the Neo-Nazi movement AND Trump supporters.  In their mind, that would allow Hillary to connect the dots like this "Trump---Trump Supporters---Pepe---Neo-Nazis", hoping that the American public would be stupid enough to only take away this message:  "Trump=Neo-Nazis."

Remember, Hillary is a disciple of Saul Alinsky and his book "Rules for Radicals."  One of those rules is:

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

So, working under that rule, Hillary picked a target (that loose anti-Hillary, anti-establishment, somewhat-pro-Trump movement), tried to freeze it by labeling that movement "the alt-right" (which was a pre-existing label not necessarily associated with Pepe), and tried to polarize it by associating that movement with Neo-Nazis in her speech.  This was preceded by a behind-the-scenes press campaign that tried personalize it by tying Trump, Pepe the green frog cartoon, and racism together under the label "the alt-right."

In hindsight, that sounds kind of over-the-top and silly.  And it was.  But they decided to roll with it anyway.  Probably because Hillary doesn't have any cards to play, other than "RACISM!"

It backfired.  

The reason it backfired is because, knowingly or not, the movement stole one of Alinsky's own Rules out of Hillary's playbook and turned it against her:

RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.

Hillary's whispering campaign of "Pepe is a symbol for racists who support Trump, therefore Trump supports racism" was openly ludicrous  to anyone who previously knew about Pepe.  It was also deeply offensive to those she labeled as "alt-right" and those who consider themselves to be "alt-right."  Plus, it's pretty damn offensive to  Trump supporters.

So, Pepe overnight went from being a silly multipurpose Internet meme into a rally point for the anti-Hillary movement.
The headline here says it all

The net result is that despite her efforts, all Hillary managed to accomplish was to:

(1) turn Pepe into the modern equivalent of a kid pointing and saying "the Emperor has no clothes!" and

(2) show the world that even with all her her political strength, political support, and ruthlessness, she still is unable to stop someone from completely mocking her at her own rally merely by shouting a single word.  She's helpless in the face of ridicule.

That part in bold is huge.  And the dude who shouted Pepe! was letting the world know "if you are anti-Hillary, then know that you are not alone, and you can fight back."  Lots of people need to be reminded of that during this election season.  

And what makes this all so hilariously funny is that she did it to herself!  She has to own it; she cannot pin it on Trump.  And now the whole goddamn Internet is talking about a crudely-drawn cartoon of a fucking green frog instead of Trump's alleged racism.

http://www.memeface.com/feels-good-man.png

I think I've probably over-analyzed it.  I'm sure someone will be along to summarize all of the above in one Pepe dank meme.

It's neat to see the meme militia forming at the center this election

I can't believe the GOP is the "cool" party for the internet kiddies? Like what the hell, if you went to sleep in 08 and woke up today it would look like bizarro world.

Pepe goes down a lot of weird and bizarre tunnels and explores different sorts of memetic fuckery; he definitely wasn't an invention or an organ of the GOP and it is probably fair to say that it's more just a joke gone wildly out of control. As in, nobody would want to be associated with most of the Pepes out there, even the rarest ones.

The pre-Trump pepes were a bit purer, especially when he was the well known sadfrog... peepeepoopoo was pretty awful, but there was plenty of hilarity in the Tendies stories and Pretty Princess Points. Pepe will outlast Trump, most likely, and eventually probably be spawned into our universe as a malevolent chaos god, born of the collective orgone energy of millions of sperglords willing him into existence.

And to think, he emerged into the front of the internet due to this comic:

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
snip

And to think, he emerged into the front of the internet due to this comic:

View Quote

And 500 years from now, it will be blown up, framed, and hung on a wall in the White House, with a plaque that simply states:

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is gold. Pure gold. Something like this will be like the icebucket challenge and dudes will yell pepe at all hilary events. Hopefully video as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PEPE is the new 1%?

Aloha, Mark

No, it's more like "We are The Pepe!"

This is gold. Pure gold. Something like this will be like the icebucket challenge and dudes will yell pepe at all hilary events. Hopefully video as well

Fuck her right in the Pepe!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PEPE is the new 1%?

Aloha, Mark

No, it's more like "We are The Pepe!"

It feels good man.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think this, beyond any Republican political maneuvers, would wreck her campaign more than anything else.

The woman hasn't been outside without Secret Service protection in over 30 years.  If she became an Internet fad, her circuits would fry and her political propaganda brain would crash.  She has NO IDEA how to relate to the common American.  Peasant humor.  She doesn't get it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ill be impressed when somebody yells Pepe every time she speaks.

I think this, beyond any Republican political maneuvers, would wreck her campaign more than anything else.

The woman hasn't been outside without Secret Service protection in over 30 years.  If she became an Internet fad, her circuits would fry and her political propaganda brain would crash.  She has NO IDEA how to relate to the common American.  Peasant humor.  She doesn't get it...

* RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”
* RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.”
* RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.”
* RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

Bats flying back to their agitprop belfry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
My guess is that hillary and her ilk will send operatives into 4chan, reddit, and her to pose and post as racist and white supremecist stuff with pepe to sell the narative of trump=pepe=racist.

She will try to attack pepe by sabotaging pepe
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My guess is that hillary and her ilk will send operatives into 4chan, reddit, and her to pose and post as racist and white supremecist stuff with pepe to sell the narative of trump=pepe=racist.

View Quote

You mean like they've always done? BFD.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are nowhere near that creative IMHO, and dem narrartives need not be based on reality at all.

Literally the opposite can be true, they do not care - when the left has a narrative, they run with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill be impressed when somebody yells Pepe every time she speaks.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/862/065/0e9.jpg

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#27]
FeelsGoodMan
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
If anybody is confused about exactly who the Alt-Right is, this should help.

" />
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]
The meme-licious fallout from this is beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btR2U2EM_Y

ETA: please someone embed!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is both funny and confusing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck it! #pepeforpresident
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't see any good reason why that won't happen. It's not like there is a line to get into a Clinton rally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb yelling out something only a few people would understand. Might as well go yell 87, fo, or beans no beans.

I don't see any good reason why that won't happen. It's not like there is a line to get into a Clinton rally.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol awesome.   Keep it up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad Puppies is largely unknown, but another good, well fought battle.   Props to Larry Correia for stepping up and curb stomping those little fucks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I donated and helped where I could with both McShame and RMoney, but never did I have a moment's fun. And as a Trump guy from the beginning, this election has been a blast. I'm a happy warrior no longer shackled to the boring ass establishment Republicans who think enjoyment is scandalous.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My three year old son is now running around yelling "PEPE!"

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is precious!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait... you're concerned that the left is going to make 4chan look bad by posting terrible things and spoiling their reputation?

I'm honestly not even sure anyone would notice if they tried that. Whoever they hired to post their "sabotage" would end up dumbstruck by what was already there, and spend all of their time taking notes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh, FYI, if you want to piss off a Hillary supporter, just reference her fear of "Nazi frogs"

They will lose. Their. Shit.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wait... you're concerned that the left is going to make 4chan look bad by posting terrible things and spoiling their reputation?

I'm honestly not even sure anyone would notice if they tried that. Whoever they hired to post their "sabotage" would end up dumbstruck by what was already there, and spend all of their time taking notes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think they understand, you can't Operation: Chaos the fucking Joker.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#48]

LOL... "It was like a drive by shooting with a water pistol fired from a mobility scooter"

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#50]
"Feels good man" is old as hell I think Pepe is the longest surviving meme on the web, possibly immortal.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top