BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
HELSREACH - Part 1: Prologue - A Warhammer 40k Story

This is an 8 part series, so far.  Pretty cool animation style.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are some cool books to serve as an introduction to the universe?   Looking for stories, not rulebooks for tabletop.
View Quote
Personal favorites:

Ciaphas Cain series (it should have an omnibus or two out, plus the follow ups)
Eisenhorn omnibus
Ravenor omnibus (both Eisenhorn and Ravenor are stand alone, but related with Eisenhorn coming first)
Space Wolf or whatever they call the Ragnar Blackmane series omnibus
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
There are also books told from non-imperial perspectives which are good.  I haven't read any of the Night Lords books, but I hear that they're good, and available in an omnibus.  I have enjoyed the Ahriman books, also now available in omnibus form.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Not currently playing, but I have a few hundred points of CSM around.

Played back in the RT/2nd days, and then picked it back up in 6/7th.  Had 5K or so of Blood Angels.

Sold the army about 2 years ago when we moved.

Still have friends that play, and play some KILL TEAM on occasion.

Obligatory GW is a bunch of greedy SOBs comment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not currently playing, but I have a few hundred points of CSM around.

Played back in the RT/2nd days, and then picked it back up in 6/7th.  Had 5K or so of Blood Angels.

Sold the army about 2 years ago when we moved.

Still have friends that play, and play some KILL TEAM on occasion.

Obligatory GW is a bunch of greedy SOBs comment.
View Quote
The ever falling prices of 3D printing can't be good for GW's bottom line.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Personal favorites:

Ciaphas Cain series (it should have an omnibus or two out, plus the follow ups)
Eisenhorn omnibus
Ravenor omnibus (both Eisenhorn and Ravenor are stand alone, but related with Eisenhorn coming first)
Space Wolf or whatever they call the Ragnar Blackmane series omnibus
View Quote
Thanks, I'll check these out as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Ghey
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are some cool books to serve as an introduction to the universe?   Looking for stories, not rulebooks for tabletop.
View Quote
The Horus Heresy series. The series is currently 45 books long.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ghey
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ghey
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoa, that's a big series.  I'll check them out, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The quality really isn't there within a reasonable price range of machine. Some people have made 3D models (of variable quality) and released them online. The results really don't look pretty from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Never played the game but love the artwork.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read a ton of 40k books. The first three Horus heresy books are really well done. I also highly suggest the night lords trilogy. Fricken awesome, Aaron dembowski-bowden is a great author.

I'd read these

Horus rising
False God's
Galaxy in flames

A thousand son's
Prospero burns

Mechanicum

Night lords omnibus (awesome)
Soul Hunter
Blood reaver
Void stalker

Battles books
Battle of the fang
Hellsreach (awesome)
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
FETH YEAH I'm a fan bro!

The emperor protects.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FETH YEAH I'm a fan bro!

The emperor protects.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes

Just made my day. Saving that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Btw, if you can find one locally (they are obscenely expensive online since they were limited prints) the Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Primer, the (same name) Damocles Gulf edition, and Imperial Munitorum Manual are hilariously awesome.  Basically manditory guides for the Imperial Guard soldiers to memorize and hype them up thinking that they aren't cannon fodder.

I managed to snag the first two, but didn't know about the Munitorum manual until after the fact.  They resell for $100+ these days.

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just google search heresy meme, there's some awesome stuff on there. 

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The quality really isn't there within a reasonable price range of machine. Some people have made 3D models (of variable quality) and released them online. The results really don't look pretty from what I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that,  with the release of 8th edition and the new community-oriented CEO GW has made record profits this year.  More than they have ever made by an order of magnitude.

It only took 30 years,  but GW is finally a solid company to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's a good video game version? I don't have time for tabletop.
View Quote
If you play on PC and are comfortable with modding, get Soulstorm on Steam. Then install the Ultimate Apocalypse mod. Revel in the destruction. 

ETA: Oh yeah, since Soulstorm is technically an expansion you need all the other original Dawn of War games to unlock all the races and play the mod. They're fairly cheap though and go on sale every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#27]
The Dark Angels of the mighty 1st Legion want to know why you're asking so many fucking questions:

ETA: I've always loved the fluff, but dropped out of 40k for Flames of War, Infinity, Confrontation, and many other games, but came by for 8th.  Still loving my Dark Angels, started a Blades of Vengeance primaris chapter with the new starter, and can't wait for our new codex to come out.

Now if only I could find the time to paint to get my skills up to the point that models look respectable on the table top.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Blood for the Blood God and all that ?
View Quote
You summon my master?

Kharn the Betrayer
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh yes. 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You summon my master?

Kharn the Betrayer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blood for the Blood God and all that ?
You summon my master?

Kharn the Betrayer

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I would read some of the 40k era stuff to get a feel for the "main" time period, then go to Horus Heresy stuff, to see how different it was, and was supposed to be.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not only that,  with the release of 8th edition and the new community-oriented CEO GW has made record profits this year.  More than they have ever made by an order of magnitude.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. I nearly ended up managing IP in their legal department

We still hold regular "business lunches" at the bar in GW HQ, which is just down the road from me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Btw, if you can find one locally (they are obscenely expensive online since they were limited prints) the Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Primer, the (same name) Damocles Gulf edition, and Imperial Munitorum Manual are hilariously awesome.  Basically manditory guides for the Imperial Guard soldiers to memorize and hype them up thinking that they aren't cannon fodder.

I managed to snag the first two, but didn't know about the Munitorum manual until after the fact.  They resell for $100+ these days.

https://regimentalstandard.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/1.jpg?w=760
https://orig00.deviantart.net/d44f/f/2012/006/2/f/warhammer_40k_imperial_guard_triage_chart_by_borninmoradel-d4lhljc.jpg
View Quote
I have a copy of the Damocles Gulf edition Uplifting Primer in my car.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#34]
My IIUP is the original edition.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm a smurf deep down.

Angry Marines wiki cracks me up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My IIUP is the original edition.
View Quote
Mine is the 2007 edition, as is my IMM.

And here I quote from Part the Ninth:

"The full list of the volumes of forms available to the commander of a regiment are available upon request, but a commander should know that the likely transit for such a request will probably exceed his lifetime and will occupy a space (at time of transmission) equal to or greater to that occupied by his soldiers"

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm a smurf deep down.

View Quote
I have a very slowly growing Angry Marines assault squad that goes into every game, no matter what.  

I'd love to have an entire army of them, but I can't paint and my friends that can all hate painting that much yellow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
More of a fan of the lore, I don't intend on going down the rabbit hole of tabletop.
View Quote
I had a pretty decent collection of the books from college because they were cheap.  Gave some to MrsCheShirt to read when she was out of her highbrow stuff one time.  Turned out she really liked the GrimDark40K.

Now, at her insistence, we have this stack:

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I had a pretty decent collection of the books from college because they were cheap.  Gave some to MrsCheShirt to read when she was out of her highbrow stuff one time.  Turned out she really liked the GrimDark40K.

Now, at her insistence, we have this stack:

https://i.imgur.com/ExA3dF1.jpg?1
View Quote
I got my wife into it with the Horus Heresy audiobooks.  She especially likes Garro and Loken.

Now we have a Warhammer Room.

6x4 table.

Attachment Attached File

Her Blood Angels (she doesn't paint much)

Attachment Attached File

My Ultramarines  (I paint slowly)

Attachment Attached File

Various Imperial allies.  I have a dozen heavy weapons teams, 5k points of Skitarii and 5 squads of Scions packed in trays from moving them during the hurricane.

The two landing craft are for a water map we are making with a promethium rig.

Attachment Attached File

The Emperor's holy Aquilla watches over our home.  We do not tolerate unsanctioned witches, heretics, mutants or xenos in this household.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm so out of the loop on this one

I played the "space marines" game on 360 and loved it.

also saw some neckbeards when i was young with the figures for the game. (didn't know their screen names)
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, was a fan, Built up a Black Templar Army , I think I messed up my eyesight painting those damn things.
Sold everything and doubled my money.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Been playing Imperial Guard on tabletop for years, was not a fan of their name change.  But the game is just so much fun!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
More of a fan of the lore, I don't intend on going down the rabbit hole of tabletop.
View Quote
Me too. Used to read a bunch of the novels. But it seemed like halfway into the Horus Heresy series the quality went way down, while the size of the books (physical, not content) and prices inexplicably doubled. Seemed like my favorite writers disappeared, and the Black Library started publishing anyone with a word processor.

For instance, does Abnett write anymore? What happened to the rest of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books? Ghaunt's Ghosts? Graham McNeill still writing? Ciaphas Cain sequels? Dembski-Bowden?

If things have gotten better, please let me know and recommend some books, because it's been several years since I read a new one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm a smurf deep down.

View Quote
I know a guy who has a pretty good Angry Marines army

one of his models

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Warhammer 40K is shit. And I have 0 fucks to give about anything anybody posts in response to my statement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Warhammer 40K is shit. And I have 0 fucks to give about anything anybody posts in response to my statement.
View Quote
yes yes, we know you love the cock. You don't have to say it in every thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm a smurf deep down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm a smurf deep down.

"ALWAYS ANGRY, ALL THE TIME!"

But I came here to post about the angry marines. I started playing in second edition into 3rd edition and quit playing when the 3rd Tyranids codex came out and they made nids unusable.

My favorite excerpt from the Angry Marines, the point where a squad of Angry Marines stop to think for a second and say "wait, youre right...":

Tempting Rage[edit]
Excerpted from personal correspondence addressed to PFC. Munchaussen, then stationed in the Argos sector
?­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­?­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­?­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­?­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­?­
The aspiring Champion of Khorne called out to the Angry Marines before him just as they prepared to charge his host of daemons and World Eaters.
"Can you not see the similarities between your battle prowess and ours? Khorne fills you with his wrath in battle, but you do not take time even to notice. Join us, and together we can destroy all within our path! Sink deeper into your anger with the full blessings of the Blood God!"

The assembled Angry Marines took pause, and considered the words of the World Eater Champion. Chaplain Brusiarch then stepped from the front ranks of the Angry Marines' line, turned, and backhanded the closest Angry Marine. The yellow-clad Battle-Brothers then turned their gaze to meet his.

Brusiarch gestured towards the aspiring Champion of Chaos, pointing to the bolt pistol that the Champion wielded in his left hand. The Chaplain shouted to his brother Marines, "YOU DON'T LISTEN TO FAGGOTS, YOU COCKSICLES, YOU FUCKING KILL THEM!!!"

The previously backhanded Space Marine then stood up, his faceplate shattered from the force of the blow, and shouted the battle cry of the Angry Marines, "ALWAYS ANGRY!!! ALL THE TIME!!!"

The Angry Marines then realized their folly at listening -- even if only for a moment -- to an insufferable faggot. He dared consider himself as angry as they were but armed himself not with a second chainsword or power fist, but a pussified bolt pistol??

The next few seconds witnessed the roar of Cocknocker jump packs, the whoosh of battle-brothers being launched at the daemonic host from the Predator Angrinator's, and Brother Chaplain Brusiarch's battle cry of "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-," as he charged the World Eaters' line.

Chaos was fucked.

+++++

Thought for the Day: Zeal is its own excuse.

+++++
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Found the heretic....
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top