Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I started with WFB and played that for a bit before moving into 2E/3E 40k.

Dark Elves and Skaven mostly, a bit of Undead.

Was interested in Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, and the Regiments of Renown/Dogs of War, but they keep getting Squatted and Un-Squatted, then they Squatted the whole Universe.

If I get back into 40k, I may take my poorly painted assembly of Cadians, Death Korps and Praetorians hit 'em a thinned red wash, and make some Blood Pact.
View Quote
The vast majority of my WFB stuff got stolen from my storage unit by one of the facility's employees recently.  Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, and Tomb Kings.  Thousands of dollars worth.

I wish I'd gotten a bunch of Praetorian IG when they were available.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The vast majority of my WFB stuff got stolen from my storage unit by one of the facility's employees recently.  Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, and Tomb Kings.  Thousands of dollars worth.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started with WFB and played that for a bit before moving into 2E/3E 40k.

Dark Elves and Skaven mostly, a bit of Undead.

Was interested in Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, and the Regiments of Renown/Dogs of War, but they keep getting Squatted and Un-Squatted, then they Squatted the whole Universe.

If I get back into 40k, I may take my poorly painted assembly of Cadians, Death Korps and Praetorians hit 'em a thinned red wash, and make some Blood Pact.

I got the boxed set that came with "the Massacre at Big Toof River" in... 1997 or 1998 I think.

ETA:

All of mine are in secure storage, at my parents house. 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Lorgar Aurelian was 100% Right, about Everything.

Which REALLY Sucks.

I wonder what the reaction of the Imperium at large would be if Guilliman lets that bomb drop.

Hey guys, just so you know, Lorgar wrote everything you believe and are preaching... just a FYI.

It would be like finding out Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Paul, all founded the Church of Satan after writing the Gospel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Nicolas Giacondino is a fantastic artist I've followed from my old Bolter and Chainsword days.  Crazy thing is, at least back then he was all ink and paper for his stuff.

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Back to your regularly scheduled shitposting. 

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@50DollarCheShirt

That's about how mine used to look until I got some dedicated shelves for all my books. Now they're all sitting in boxes back in the US. I'd like to ship them all here, but the shipping cost might be a little much.
View Quote
@FerrusManus - I actually decided, last year, to really start collecting the books.  I'm lucky in that I've got UNT north of me and some pretty good used book stores around me so I can actually try and get the whole "Black Library" collection at some point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
All hail Roboute Guilliman, Lord Commander of the Imperium of Man, the Avenging Son.  He is living testament to the power of our Emperor!

Seriously though, Ultra Papa Smurf gets a lot of hate for no good reason.  He's absolutely my favorite Primarch.

Attachment Attached File

Not only that,  I really like Cato Sicarius too.  I love that he's a huge, reckless dick who gradually sees the bigger picture and becomes more tactically competent and more of a team player while still being an arrogant dick.

My favorite Ultramarines short story is the one where Agemman (also cool) and Cato are raiding a ship and Cato lectures Agemman at the end for being reckless.  Agemman is basically just "LOL irony!"

There's even a mention in Dark Imperium of Guilliman taking Cato under his wing personally in an effort to make him more tactful and being somewhat frustrated by it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
someone just posted this awesome conversion today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been cruising the Black Library looking for E-books.

Looking for recommendations as to: Best authors, authors to avoid(!).

Space Marines: any books really stand out for newbs? Especially describing the weapons, training and Chapter lore.

What titles would give a sense of the overall...overallness of this huge franchise?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Space Marines: any books really stand out for newbs? Especially describing the weapons, training and Chapter lore.

What titles would give a sense of the overall...overallness of this huge franchise?
View Quote
William King: Space Wolf, Ragnars Claw, Grey Hunter, and Wolfblade are all GTG. (this goes from Feral World Aspirant all the way to the Top).

Dan Abnett: Brotherhood of the Snake also GTG

Gav Thrope: Angels of Darkness (Astelan did nothing wrong, Jonson is a Traitor).

I liked the Soul Drinkers anthology by Ben Counter, not quite the quality of William King or Dan Abnett.

I like ADB (Aaron Dembski-Bowden), especially his Night Lords anthology, but thats more the awesomeness that is the Night Lords (AKA Evil Batman).

Then of course, there is Horus Rising by Dan Abnett, but I think its better if you start in 40k and go back to 30k, lots of good references and sarcasm you'd miss without a solid grounding in 40k.

Anything by Dan Abnett is GTG in my book, especially the Gaunt's Ghosts series, start with Ghostmaker, but thats Imperial Guard/Astra Militarium/Imperial Army.

P.S.

Just Remember, the Emporer is a Dick, Horus and Lorgar dindu nuffin, and all the "Traitors" were either fucked over by Him epically, or had no choice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which REALLY Sucks.

I wonder what the reaction of the Imperium at large would be if Guilliman lets that bomb drop.

Hey guys, just so you know, Lorgar wrote everything you believe and are preaching... just a FYI.

It would be like finding out Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Paul, all founded the Church of Satan after writing the Gospel.
View Quote
He also came to realize Horus was sorta right; the Emperor is a fucking cunt of the highest degree.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All hail Roboute Guilliman, Lord Commander of the Imperium of Man, the Avenging Son.  He is living testament to the power of our Emperor!

Seriously though, Ultra Papa Smurf gets a lot of hate for no good reason.  He's absolutely my favorite Primarch.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/GS3Art2Content-326783.JPG

Not only that,  I really like Cato Sicarius too.  I love that he's a huge, reckless dick who gradually sees the bigger picture and becomes more tactically competent and more of a team player while still being an arrogant dick.

My favorite Ultramarines short story is the one where Agemman (also cool) and Cato are raiding a ship and Cato lectures Agemman at the end for being reckless.  Agemman is basically just "LOL irony!"

There's even a mention in Dark Imperium of Guilliman taking Cato under his wing personally in an effort to make him more tactful and being somewhat frustrated by it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/1003px-Ultramarine_captain_cato_sicarius_by_diegogisbertllorens-d7cml6y-326785.JPG
View Quote
You can blame Matt Ward for the Sphess Romans being largely hated by neckbeards everywhere. If he didn't go on about how "They are the best at everything!" and completely fanboy over them in his codexes, I think there would be a lot less disdain from the 40k community for the smurfs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

William King: Space Wolf, Ragnars Claw, Grey Hunter, and Wolfblade are all GTG. (this goes from Feral World Aspirant all the way to the Top).

Gav Thrope: Angels of Darkness (Astelan did nothing wrong, Jonson is a Traitor).

I liked the Soul Drinkers anthology by Ben Counter, not quite the quality of William King or Dan Abnett.

I like ADB (Aaron Dembski-Bowden), especially his Night Lords anthology, but thats more the awesomeness that is the Night Lords (AKA Evil Batman).

Then of course, there is Horus Rising by Dan Abnett, but I think its better if you start in 40k and go back to 30k, lots of good references and sarcasm you'd miss without a solid grounding in 40k.

Anything by Dan Abnett is GTG in my book, especially the Gaunt's Ghosts series, start with Ghostmaker, but thats Imperial Guard/Astra Militarium/Imperial Army.

P.S.

Just Remember, the Emporer is a Dick, Horus and Lorgar dindu nuffin, and all the "Traitors" were either fucked over by Him epically, or had no choice.
View Quote
"Suggest *A* book that personifies 40k"

"Here is a list of about 20 to start with"

Yall fuckers gonna cost me alot of cash.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He also came to realize Horus was sorta right; the Emperor is a fucking cunt of the highest degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which REALLY Sucks.

Yep.

The Emperor is a Genocidal Dictator who is more Stalin than Hitler.

Loyalists forget, hes already purged his original supporters once before the Space Marines.

What he did to Magnus, Lorgar, and Angron specifically is pathetic, and is nothing more than just general stupidity and meaness.

He treated his own "Sons" as tools to be used and discarded.

Is Chaos dicks? Yep, but the Fab 4 are nothing more than a reflection of the psychic presence of sentient creatures, in short we made them what they are.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S.

Space Wolf Omnibus by William King

Really though the Universe has been written in since the early 80s, you got a lot of catching up to do.

ETA:

Actually, there was a "Setting Book" I had at one time... that was about 25 dollars that was basically a general overview of the State of the Universe, but its probably way outdated now... I think Tyranids were new then.

Here read this:

Timeline
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's some of my recent paintjobs.  I use WN Sable brushes and Vallejo paints and washes.

After getting out of 40k for a couple decades I got back in fairly recently.  I have only been painting my new miniatures for around a year now off and on; it takes me forever to finish one.

Questor Imperialis Knight Errant
"Glory Everlasting"

https://i.imgur.com/9auekyk.jpg

Questor Mechanicus Knight Crusader
"Red Sun"

https://i.imgur.com/oV4KEWp.jpg

Contemptor Dreadnought
"Hector"

https://i.imgur.com/gaLdebZ.jpg

Ironclad Dreadnought
"Ajax"

https://i.imgur.com/ZoKsQTj.jpg

Venerable Dreadnought
"Crixus"

https://i.imgur.com/lZBjuM3.jpg

Chaplain Dreadnought
"Brutus"
I made his Crozius from a bunch of bits I had.  I wanted him to look ridiculously, over-the-top, metal, like one of the old Rogue Trader drawings.

https://i.imgur.com/tGuc4w9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8VUkrSW.jpg
View Quote
Outstanding work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep.

Loyalists forget, hes already purged his original supporters once before the Space Marines.

What he did to Magnus, Lorgar, and Angron specifically is pathetic, and is nothing more than just general stupidity and meaness.

Is Chaos dicks? Yep, but the Fab 4 are nothing more than a reflection of the psychic presence of sentient creatures, in short we made them what they are.
View Quote
I think that's kinda the point of 40k, though.

Everyone save for a few guys like Logan Grimnar can be fucking cunts. Hell, there are even some NIGHT LORDS that have a sense of honor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Space Wolf Omnibus by William King

www.amazon.com/dp/1785721143Really though the Universe has been written in since the early 80s, you got a lot of catching up to do.
View Quote
Ordered that and angels of darkness to start with. Dont do ebooks so amazon got some cash.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Everyone save for a few guys like Logan Grimnar can be fucking cunts. Hell, there are even some NIGHT LORDS that have a sense of honor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Konrad Curze was pretty cool, The Night Haunter... not so much...

Its one thing to be a Cunt, its another entirely to be a Dumb Cunt, the Emperor ("God") was a Dumb Cunt. I can respect Evil, I can't respect Stupid.

ETA:

I mean this guy is probably the nicest guy in the Setting:

Unfortunately you start looking like this:

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its one thing to be a Cunt, its another entirely to be a Dumb Cunt, the Emperor ("God") was a Dumb Cunt. I can respect Evil, I can't respect Stupid.
View Quote
You know who were even dumber cunts than the Emprah?

The Eldar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Eldar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Eldar.
They did manage to... well its better not spoken of... Slaanesh into existance.

Damnit Eldar.

Though Slaanesh did give us one thing:

He definitely does Cocaine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I just watched this. There are 8 parts. I liked it.:

HELSREACH - Part 1: Prologue - A Warhammer 40k Story
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just watched this. There are 8 parts. I liked it.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg
View Quote
I liked them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#28]
The Half Price Books gods were giving this weekend.  I think I broke 70 books.  Damn near bought almost all the Warhammer 32K "The Beast Arises" books too, dammit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Horus Heresy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I got so much Dark Eldar stuff here, it's almost embarrassing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Y'all motherfuckers need Jesus
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg

This is an 8 part series, so far.  Pretty cool animation style.

Best,
JBR
View Quote
These were great

very impressed
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Y'all motherfuckers need Jesus
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Same.

I have every Codex from 2E to 4E, the boxed games 2E, 3E, 4E of 40k, plus 4E, 5E, 6E WHFB, and the armies books, the original "Slaves to Darkness" and "Lost and the Damned", most of the "Scenario Books" (Grudge of Drong, etc.)

Most of the Fantasy/40k Lit, even the old "Bad Stuff". (Wine of Dreams, Inquisitor Jaq Draco) up until HH "Fear to Tread".

Also was a poster on Trollslayer.net with Bill King

Probably have as much invested in GW as I do in Guns/Ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just counted.  I have 68 Warhammer 40K books.

Are you including rulebooks and codices in that number?
No.

All novels - stuff like Gaunt's Ghosts, Horus Heresy, Eisenhorn/Ravenor omnibus collections, and shitloads of Space Marine books and omnibus collections.
Same.

I have every Codex from 2E to 4E, the boxed games 2E, 3E, 4E of 40k, plus 4E, 5E, 6E WHFB, and the armies books, the original "Slaves to Darkness" and "Lost and the Damned", most of the "Scenario Books" (Grudge of Drong, etc.)

Most of the Fantasy/40k Lit, even the old "Bad Stuff". (Wine of Dreams, Inquisitor Jaq Draco) up until HH "Fear to Tread".

Also was a poster on Trollslayer.net with Bill King

Probably have as much invested in GW as I do in Guns/Ammo
Mercifully, there is a used book store by my house that does brisk business trading books around for a team of nerds in Tucson.  I tend to only keep one or two books around at a time
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought the Eisenhorn Omnibus from the Black Library. It was kind of like pulling teeth, but maybe I'm just spoiled by Amazon.

Already several chapters in.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Space wolf Omnibus. Regular guy goes through the transition to Space Marine so you get a lot of exposition.

Ciaphis Cain series. Literally annotated.  

Either one's a good start. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm gonna trash up this thread a little.  

I think one of the most brilliant things GW's done recently was the release of Shadow War: Armageddon.  New players can sample all kinds of armies and try out painting without dropping a ton of cash, and those who do have tons can easily get pulled into 40k.

It was enough to suck me back in, anyways.  I'm super stoked about the re-release of Necromunda.  I actually enjoy the painting and making terrain more than the gameplay - my skills are "extra modest" but they're good enough for the tabletop.

Of course, right about the time I started dusting off my minis and re-filling my bits box all the friends I used to play with went full goddamned Leftarded and I can't stand to be around them anymore.  That works out okay for someone who mostly wants to build and paint anyways, though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bought the Eisenhorn Omnibus from the Black Library. It was kind of like pulling teeth, but maybe I'm just spoiled by Amazon.

Already several chapters in.
View Quote
Fantastic read.  I have it on ebook and regular bound omnibus formats.  That, and Ravenor have been paged through way too many times.  Serious spoiler in the box as a heads up.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fantastic read.  I have it on ebook and regular bound omnibus formats.  That, and Ravenor have been paged through way too many times.  Serious spoiler in the box as a heads up.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Yeah I agree. Keep the pics, memes and stories coming
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I started with the 1st 4 books of the Horus Heresy. I read them in under a week. They're up to .. 48? now.. some are dogshit you can skip and not lose out on anything.
Dan Abnett is the man.
I like Ultramarines mostly because of their anal-retentive order of doing stuff. Some of the short story books give a decent glimpse in to characters/legion characteristics.
The Beast Arises was a decent series of Orks, who are much like ricers - the gaudier it is, the faster.. or more explosive. Armageddon with Orks and Black Templars was a good read.
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dark angel has a bullpup bolter? Definitely heresy
View Quote
EXTERMINATUS!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
EXTERMINATUS!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXTERMINATUS!!!!
I knew those shifty bastards were up to something.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXTERMINATUS!!!!
I would love to model my Dark Angels with that bull pup bolter. Anyone know where I can get a few?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I still have some Imperial Guard and tanks as well as a few Marines.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would love to model my Dark Angels with that bull pup bolter. Anyone know where I can get a few?
View Quote
I think there might have been a metal one.  might be easier to make them with elysian lasguns as the base.

same as the first image, I forgot Azrael did come with that weapon. but too pricey to make a unit with, the one above someone converted would be easier.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXTERMINATUS!!!!
IIRC most of the old "Metal" Combi-Weapons were Bullpup Style.

One of the Eversor Assassins has a MP7 looking pistol as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#50]
You used to be able to order individual part numbers from GW.  I had a probably 3" thick catalog of each and every part they made, from sprues to bare guns, like the combi plasma Azrael has.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top